Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PA's Battle to Stardom A12: Soft Machine v. Magma
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPA's Battle to Stardom A12: Soft Machine v. Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [43.75%]
36 [56.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 04:28

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

... Meanwhile, check this out.  Proof positive that someone, somewhere, has far too much time on their hands. Tongue

Oh god I just blew a funny fuse. LOL

"Hey! Hey! Hey! I wish to borrow Pakistan!"

An old one in my books by now. LOL

LOLLOL

I never knew Magma had such cool lyrics.  Tongue

Near the end it really does sound like they're singing "Soon eh Gandalf, very soon."

But my favorite is "we're in the circle of bacon"
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 05:17
Soft Machine. And thanks to my vote, Soft Machine is now in the lead with 22-21. Tongue
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 06:34
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Further proof that geeks like Magma --> http://www.myspace.com/magmabootlegs
And one for parents who go overboard with Magmatising their kids (I'm sure everybody must know this by now)--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=52vhtwuGjOA

Thanks (also to Song of Copper) for posting those links - they make me realise I'm pretty normal compared to some people banana banana teapot out there.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 09:51
That's a tight game, this one, tighter than Alex and David were wishing forLOLWink for sure!

This is what happen when you put 2 great bands together with usually the same kind of crowd listening to those 2!Tongue

Edited by febus - October 05 2008 at 09:54
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:11
So Magma won?  Can't say I'm displeased, but a little surprised.  Last I saw, it was trailing.  Think this is a case (and let's extend it to Gong while we're at it :lol:) where both could be declared winners.  I'm wondering, for how long does each poll last?
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:14

So Magma won?  Can't say I'm displeased, but a little surprised.  Last I saw, it was trailing.  Think this is a case (and let's extend it to Gong while we're at it :lol:) where both could be declared winners.  I'm wondering, for how long does each poll last?

Yep, Magma won. I honestly didn't think it was going to happen when I last checked yesterday evening.

Well, at first I was going to make it roughly 3-7 days for each poll... but when I found out how quickly all the votes came in I decided that I'd leave each poll up for as close to 3 days as possible.

So, I close each poll as closely to 72 hours as I can. I was working on my essay this morning and then I got to posting the next poll about 75 or 76 hours later, but anywhere in that approximate time range.

Some of these have been really close though; I've been pleasantly surprised. Big%20smile
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:20
Haha.  I'm going to claim credit, despite not having voted.  The right intimidating photo will do it every time. Evil%20Smile LOL
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:22
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Yep, Magma won. I honestly didn't think it was going to happen when I last checked yesterday evening.

Well, at first I was going to make it roughly 3-7 days for each poll... but when I found out how quickly all the votes came in I decided that I'd leave each poll up for as close to 3 days as possible.

So, I close each poll as closely to 72 hours as I can. I was working on my essay this morning and then I got to posting the next poll about 75 or 76 hours later, but anywhere in that approximate time range.

Some of these have been really close though; I've been pleasantly surprised. Big%20smile

Alex, you have made ''Febus'' an heartbroken man...contemplating suicide nowCryLOLWink.or maybe i should listen to some bossa nova now!!!!.........................
I'll never forgive youLOL

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:39
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Alex, you have made ''Febus'' an heartbroken man...contemplating suicide nowCryLOLWink.or maybe i should listen to some bossa nova now!!!!.........................

Listen to some MDK instead. Wink

LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:41

Haha.  I'm going to claim credit, despite not having voted.  The right intimidating photo will do it every time. Evil%20Smile LOL

Shocked

You didn't vote in a Magma poll?

The world is coming to an end! LOL
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:49

Shocked

Aaaiiiee!!  Wurdah Ītah!! LOL

Well, no, really, I hadn't heard enough Soft Machine to do the poll justice. Big%20smile  (Besides, the results speak for themselves... Tongue)
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:56
I don't know both bands deeply, but I have a certain idea of each..

From Soft Machine I really like their Fusion stuff, Softs, Bundles, Tour '75.
While as for Magma, Attahk and MDK are the only ones I heard, and they're GREAT.

It's Avant VS Fusion for me.. I'll go with Fusion this time...Ban Ban Caliban and Hazard Profile are/should be Fusion classics!
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:58
Soft Machine
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:35

Shocked

Aaaiiiee!!  Wurdah Ītah!! LOL

Well, no, really, I hadn't heard enough Soft Machine to do the poll justice. Big%20smile  (Besides, the results speak for themselves... Tongue)

Yeah, I guess that works.

But what could be better than Magma? Wink
(other than Rush and maybe Henry Cow Tongue)

Edited by MovingPictures07 - October 05 2008 at 19:36
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:39

I am surprised you would close with the vote this close. There are probably lots of absentee ballots out.  Not that I have any problem with the result. The winner Iss de Hundin.  But if I was on the other side, like febus, I would be screaming about ballot tampering and recounts and injunctions.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:41

I am surprised you would close with the vote this close. There are probably lots of absentee ballots out.  Not that I have any problem with the result. The winner Iss de Hundin.  But if I was on the other side, like febus, I would be screaming about ballot tampering and recounts and injunctions.

I closed previous polls where 1 vote was the difference. I try to keep them systematic though by using roughly 72 hours every time. I can't see an influx of votes making this go in one way or the other; most of the votes this poll would ever get are in by now. So far the favor of the voting has not changed after I closed a poll. If it does, then I may think about revising.
Louison79 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 20:28
wow I've registered to the forum after seeing that poll - I love polls.
It may be too late, but my choice is Magma, because
-it never followed the trend (as opposed to Soft who fell into jazz-rock?).
-you have the best drummer in the cosmos (silly argument)

Of course I'm talking about Magma from MDK and after, because the first 2 albums were....actually influenced by Soft Machine itself..;-)

" `Twas brillig, and the slithy toves / Did gyre and gimble in the wabe / All mimsy were the borogoves / And the mome raths outgrabe." (Lewis Carroll, Jabberwocky)
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 20:58

I was planning to consult with an attorney tomorrow morning anyway and maybe going all the way to the supreme court if the results are not reversed asapLOLWink.... i don't believe in the impartiality of thevoting system anymore....still using all those chads!LOL
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:03
Febus lives in Florida, you see..........
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:03
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

I was planning to consult with an attorney tomorrow morning anyway and maybe going all the way to the supreme court if the results are not reversed asapLOLWink.... i don't believe in the impartiality of thevoting system anymore....still using all those chads!LOL

You're insane. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>