Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow did you find Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:17
Roundabout by yes was also a big influence and also soft machine. I listened to Anekdoten on the free streaming music on the homepage and that just blew my mind as well.
Darklord55 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:18

My favorite bands back in the High School days were Yes, King Crimson, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, and a few others from that time period.   After graduating I got into Classical and Jazz and pretty much quit listening to anything rock.  A few years ago I found  PA and was shocked that Prog was still alive.  I started buying based on some of the reviews here. 

I missed out on a lot of 70's prog from bands I never heard of back then.  Plus discovered a bunch of newer bands still doing prog.  I sold a bunch of my classical and jazz discs, mostly obscure composers and the same-o same-o rehashing of jazz standards stuff. 

Needless to say, I reinvested the money  and bought up a plethora of prog form all the genres I took a liking too.  Some of my favorite discoveries in the last three years are Opeth, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Eloy, Dream Theater, The Tangent, Death, Kaipa, and Symphony X to name a few.   I've taking a liking to Black and Death metal too.   And the journey continues.  Cheers!!
Lionheart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:18
My cousins got me into prog when I was about 11. Once I hit high school, all the other band kids were either progheads or jazz folks. I stuck with prog, because it rocked harder (and still does)!
Astrodomine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:24
My father made me listen to Meddle one day, it was the start for me!
johnq View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:51

A good friend who play drums give me a lot of prog rock bands! Also from PA i find many artists who blows your mind up! Thanx to everybody!

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 10:34
Originally posted by hawkcwg hawkcwg wrote:

Who really helped you find progressive muic?

Family?
Friend?
Time period?
What Band?
Or Artist?

For me I watched a youtube video of Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater playing drums and was so amazed and blown away and the fact that i had never seen anything like that, that kind of aproach to drums. After watching that i found his band on the internet checked out Dream Theater and Found other amazing prog bands like Porcupine Tree and King Crimson. I think King Crimsons song Courts of the Rising King that really led me to a lot of prog. Then i later found progarchives and was impressed with its archive. then I got into Krautrock after hearing Amon Duul and Cantebury music after hearing Gong and other amazing Cantebury bands.

So what really influenced you?

At first i was listening to Heavy Metal in the radio in  the early 80's. then a Cousin lend me more Heavy Metal albums, like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, then one day somebody said to me that here in México was a "Tianguis"  (a open air market, generally in the street) of records, cassettes and books, so i went and i saw the first cover art of a group called YES, the album in comment are Relayer and i bought... i remember that cost me a fortune but well spend..., that in 1983...Wink

crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 11:25
It was so gradual that I can't tell you exactly when. Probably when I heard the Ultimate Yes compilation , it opened with Yours is no disgrace and it blew my mind.Those vocals were out of this world.
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 11:35

My dad's favorite band since the late 70s has been Rush. One Christmas when I was about 8 or 10 or so, he gave me Rush's 2112. Instant love. Kind of odd, considering it has a 20 minute song, but I couldn't deny how sweet that song was. I have memories of jumping up and down on the furniture in the basement belting out the lyrics, proud that I could remember all of the words to a 20 minute rock song. My dad eventually gave me A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Chronicles and Geddy Lee's solo album (and I totally stole Fly by Night). I listened to them a lot but I don't have much memory of doing so. Following in my dad's steps in taking care of CDs... they got scratched up and I guess I kind of stopped listening to them. 2112 always remained my favorite song though!

Once I got a computer and into downloading music (don't worry, I buy more often now but I may have never gotten into prog if it weren't for such activity) when I was a freshman in high school, I fell back in love with Rush. While listening to Rush one day, one of my online friends suggested I check out Genesis' The Knife and Camel's Lady Fantasy. Did so and loved them. I didn't fall for Genesis as a whole until much later, but Camel and King Crimson soon reached my top 10 lists of favorite bands I made all the time. 

So thanks dad! You helpd me fall in love with the genre you call circus music! Haha!

Edited by Kestrel - November 06 2008 at 11:36
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 12:05
Prog found me. Wink

Iván

Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 12:32
As mentioned on my website, a school friend of mine played Meddle to me - must have been back in 1972, and I've never looked back.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 12:37
A friend introduced me to Rush and Genesis, and then I started discovering more bands on my own. 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 13:40
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Prog found me. Wink

Iván

Clap
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 15:17
Liked it during the 80's but gave up on it as I thought it was dead.  But thanks to that much maligned album by Rush called Vapor Trails, I found it again.  Amazon told me I might like Dream Theater SFAM2 and Transatlantic BAF.  Then it was Unfold the Future and the hook was in.  It took a while to realize prog was still thriving (as it were) but the damage was done with Duel with the Devil and The Truth Will Set You Free.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 15:39
How did you find prog?  The eternal question around these parts and one that has been asked and answered on many threads before yours.  It's been out there most of my life.  Sneaked in through Hocus Pocus, Toccatta, Rick Wakemean concept albums.  The in the summer of 78, I had gotten over disco, pop radio was playing Follow You Follow Me and Feels So Good (not really prog, but what the heck).  My brother (three years older) had a few friends that were heavily in to it.  I don't think it was being called prog.  But once I started listening to the stuff that was out there, it just clicked with me.  So much more interesting than what was getting airplay although these were the days when you could have a hit a single playing something truely different.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 06 2008 at 15:46
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 16:11
My parents played Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, jazz, classical and Zappa all-time in the car and house. At the age of 11 my brother bought me The Wall the movie, and wow! I was f**king shocked! I listened to Floyd's entire catalogue, and now I really don't have a barrier which can stop me of searching MORE prog bands.

I'm poor
steve j View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 16:34
Wondrous Stories - Yes, it took me another 30 years to find out the music I loved was called Prog. C'est la vie.

The whole point of this site is that it leads you to broaden your horizons, but it started with Yes.  It was in the pop parade!!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 17:11
I didn't really start buying music until around 1977 so i missed the golden era of prog and didn't even know it.In 1978 i bought "A Farewell To Kings" and was intrigued with "Xanadu", the way the song changed within the song.Didn't know it was prog though.Anyway a couple of decades later i was reading through a guitar magazine that listed the top 50 guitar albums of the eighties,and i knew quite a few of them but this one by  FATES WARNING called "Perfect Symmetry" i just couldn't let go of.I needed to know more about this band i had never heard of.So for the first time i looked music up on the internet.FATES led me to DREAM THEATER then to SPOCK'S BEARD and the FLOWER KINGS and the rest is history. It was weird back then because i would read all these opinions about bands and music i had never heard of,and would dream of actually hearing these cds.Back then there was no MySpace or places where you could listen to samples that i knew of.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 20:03
the Beatles (yes!), the Moody Blues, Procol Harum and early Floyd , Woodstock (I was 13 ) , then ITCOCK , then all the usual suspects= Zappa, Yes, Tull, Genesis, Giant, Focus . A huge 1972 hook with Roxy Music kept the "eclectic vibe alive" , the light has kept shining ever since. I wrote my pre-philosophy essay on progressive rock music in 1974, still have it today bound in plastic .    Cannot even count the number of times that prog saved my soul........ and fed the flame of passion .
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
splyu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 20:06
A friend's father had albums by Genesis, Mike Oldfield, Jethro Tull and Marillion that we used to listen to. He also had some more, I remember Yes, Vangelis and Caravan albums also being in his collection.

Still I also have to credit Dream Theater, as little as I may actually like them, but immediately before I got into prog, I had a period where I listened to metal exclusively, and Dream Theater was the band that made me want to check out that guy's prog collection more thoroughly. So yeah... gateway band but little more. (I actually knew Fates Warning at the time, too, but had never considered them prog, just great, weird heavy metal.)
Lota View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 20:27
YES...Keys To Ascencion
GENESIS...The Lamb
I heard a lot of Floyd before but never thought they were prog
And In The End, The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>