1 [3.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 17:38
Originally posted by Thandrus Thandrus wrote:

Evening Games, though in close match with Moonshine.

To be honest, I can't explain why Evening Games is the least popular Satellite album. I think it's one of the best neo albums ever.

Other than the fact that I think Moonshine is one of the best albums ever, I agree with you about "Evening Games".  It's the only one that comes close, thanks to the incredible sadness the oozes through the title cut, Beautiful World, and Evening Overture.

I was very disappointed with Into the Night, and I've only listened to Nostalgia once. but I don't get the feeling it will be giving Street or Evening any competition.  They seems to be out of inspiration.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 15:08
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ IMHO there are lots of much better albums in Polish prog than "Moonshine". So if it is a highlight, it's a disputed highlight. Wink

That's true, 'Moonshine' is not the only prog album coming out of Poland that deserves the attention of the prog community. However, in the field of neo-prog, it's probably the best album Poland ever delivered. Regarding the comparison with other prog bands but in different style, I would not say they are "much better" but different, as one cannot compare two bands playing a completely different music, even if belonging to the same category.
Other major polish prog records include :
- Czesław Niemen's 'Enigmatic'
- Marek Grechuta's 'Magia obłoków'
- Skaldowie's 'Krywań, Krywań'
- Breakout's '70 a'
- Klan's 'Mrówisko'
- Niebiesko Czarni's 'Naga (rock-opera)'
- SBB's 'Ze słowem biegnę do Ciebie''

And even today you can count with other marvellous bands : Riverside (progmetal), Mindfields (retro/sympho-prog), Annalist (neo but evolved towards more trip-hop horizons), Gargantua (RIO/avant-prog), Indukti (progmetal, influenced by King Crimson and Tool), Hipgnosis (art-rock/ambient, with female vocals), Moonrise (neo-prog), Iluzjon (prog-rock)...
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 16:28
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

^ IMHO there are lots of much better albums in Polish prog than "Moonshine". So if it is a highlight, it's a disputed highlight. Wink

That's true, 'Moonshine' is not the only prog album coming out of Poland that deserves the attention of the prog community. However, in the field of neo-prog, it's probably the best album Poland ever delivered. Regarding the comparison with other prog bands but in different style, I would not say they are "much better" but different, as one cannot compare two bands playing a completely different music, even if belonging to the same category.
- Breakout's '70 a'
- Klan's 'Mrówisko'

And even today you can count with other marvellous bands : Riverside (progmetal), Mindfields (retro/sympho-prog), Annalist (neo but evolved towards more trip-hop horizons), Gargantua (RIO/avant-prog), Indukti (progmetal, influenced by King Crimson and Tool), Hipgnosis (art-rock/ambient, with female vocals), Moonrise (neo-prog), Iluzjon (prog-rock)...

Some people just don't like symphonic prog, it seems. However, if you tell a Polish fan of Niemen or Grechuta or Skaldowie that they are listening to "progressive rock", they will laugh at you.

I might be wrong, but I thought that the topic was about comparing Collage and Satellite and not discussing whether Moonshine is the best Polish prog album (brilliant, but I think that it wouldn't stand against "Memento z banalnym tryptykiem" by SBB.

yet you still have time!
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 17:26
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

- Breakout's '70 a'
- Klan's 'Mrówisko'

However, if you tell a Polish fan of Niemen or Grechuta or Skaldowie that they are listening to "progressive rock", they will laugh at you.

Well, I and Tuzvihar are two polish fans of Niemen, Grechuta and Skaldowie and believe that they had a "prog" phase in their musical career. Moreover, if you check the other reknown prog sites : NGEPR and babyblaue, you will find them among other prog artists/bands. On GEPR, Polish fans even wrote a bio for Grechuta and Skaldowie.
Did you listen to Niemen's Enigmatic, Aerolit, Katharsis or Ode to Venus ?
Pozdrawiam
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 20:08

'Moonshine' is not the only prog album coming out of Poland that deserves the attention of the prog community. However, in the field of neo-prog, it's probably the best album Poland ever delivered. 

For my taste QUIDAM (they are in neo category on PA) albums with Emila Derkowska are infinitely better.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 10:21

'Moonshine' is not the only prog album coming out of Poland that deserves the attention of the prog community. However, in the field of neo-prog, it's probably the best album Poland ever delivered. 

For my taste QUIDAM (they are in neo category on PA) albums with Emila Derkowska are infinitely better.

except for the small fact that their best lyrics were written by no one other than Wojciech Szadkowski, Collage's leader and Mr SatelliteSmile
yet you still have time!
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 11:07

- Breakout's '70 a'
- Klan's 'Mrówisko'

However, if you tell a Polish fan of Niemen or Grechuta or Skaldowie that they are listening to "progressive rock", they will laugh at you.

Well, I and Tuzvihar are two polish fans of Niemen, Grechuta and Skaldowie and believe that they had a "prog" phase in their musical career. Moreover, if you check the other reknown prog sites : NGEPR and babyblaue, you will find them among other prog artists/bands. On GEPR, Polish fans even wrote a bio for Grechuta and Skaldowie.
Did you listen to Niemen's Enigmatic, Aerolit, Katharsis or Ode to Venus ?
Pozdrawiam

Haha, I was myself great fan of Grechuta and getting into Niemen (his voice irritated me in the 90s). What I meant was, that both Niemen and Grechuta (sadly deceased) earned a cult status in Poland and majority of their audience do not know of prog and therefore do not consider their music as prog. This is why they will laugh at you (checked it myself). Artists themselves possessed wider ideas and did not want to be counted amogst "progressive rock artists".
On the other hand Collage is just an epitome of prog in Poland, you say prog and think "Collage" and "Satellite".
That being said I do not want to prove that Wojciech Szadkowski is better than Niemen or Skrzek. I am just sometimes tired of 'all was better in the 70s' talk.
yet you still have time!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 12:13

- Breakout's '70 a'
- Klan's 'Mrówisko'

Some people just don't like symphonic prog, it seems. However, if you tell a Polish fan of Niemen or Grechuta or Skaldowie that they are listening to "progressive rock", they will laugh at you.

I might be wrong, but I thought that the topic was about comparing Collage and Satellite and not discussing whether Moonshine is the best Polish prog album (brilliant, but I think that it wouldn't stand against "Memento z banalnym tryptykiem" by SBB.

Your right Raphael T ,this poll isn't about the best album from Poland at all,but about the discography of two similar bands. I just wanted to see if the majority felt like i did about "Moonshine",and it appears they do.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 16:45
^ I only want to tell that the minority does not feel like you about "Moonshine" Wink

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2009 at 12:48
Smile
yet you still have time!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2009 at 16:16

^ I only want to tell that the minority does not feel like you about "Moonshine" Wink

LOL Point taken.     By the way,when i did this poll i had no idea that Moonshine" would win by a landslide,i just knew for me it stood above the first two Satellite albums.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2009 at 16:20
Oh and i prefer RIVERSIDE and INDUKTI to COLLAGE.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 08:20

Same here - in terms of musicality, vocal deliveries and instrumental textures, the Emila years were the best for QUIDAM's career.

Kind regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12