Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat was the first Prog Album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 13:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I don't know which was the first, and it depends what one means by Prog, but I just want to mention that I consider David Axelrod's 1968 album, Song of Innocence, to be a kind of Prog (as PA music goes), and I love it.

I tried to suggest Electric Prunes for inclusion and they were rejected. Where's the border between Psychedelia and Prog?

And I supported the Electric Prunes for addition.  The border is subjective, and I don't think there is a clear border.  Not everyone supported Axelrod, and it took some pushing/ time and quite a lot of effort to make the case/ decide category, but I'm grateful to the guys in Crossover for taking him on (not just because he's one of my favourite artists).
Yes, I remember your support. Having suggested a number of artists I have found that additions in prog-metal are easier than in other subgenres...however I don't want to start a polemic. 
What I mean is that if Psychedelia is prog, the first prog album could be The Piper at the gates of Dawn. If not, Moody Blues are a good compromise. ItCock is surely the first in its subgenre, the most distant from the late 60s pop-rock or blues revival. 
In a previous reply I have mentioned Carl Orff. I was partially joking, but I think that Carmina Burana fits well in some of the definitions of prog.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 13:27

I don't know which was the first, and it depends what one means by Prog, but I just want to mention that I consider David Axelrod's 1968 album, Song of Innocence, to be a kind of Prog (as PA music goes), and I love it.

I tried to suggest Electric Prunes for inclusion and they were rejected. Where's the border between Psychedelia and Prog?

And I supported the Electric Prunes for addition.  The border is subjective, and I don't think there is a clear border.  Not everyone supported Axelrod, and it took some pushing/ time and quite a lot of effort to make the case/ decide category, but I'm grateful to the guys in Crossover for taking him on (not just because he's one of my favourite artists).
Yes, I remember your support. Having suggested a number of artists I have found that additions in prog-metal are easier than in other subgenres...however I don't want to start a polemic. 
What I mean is that if Psychedelia is prog, the first prog album could be The Piper at the gates of Dawn. If not, Moody Blues are a good compromise. ItCock is surely the first in its subgenre, the most distant from the late 60s pop-rock or blues revival. 
In a previous reply I have mentioned Carl Orff. I was partially joking, but I think that Carmina Burana fits well in some of the definitions of prog.

I wouldn't say that psychedelia is prog, but a lot of it can be considered prog.  I don't even like the term to describe the disparate music in PA -- as I think of "prog umbrella music", but I digress.

You make good albums points.  I DO consider The Piper at the Gates of Dawn to be a kind of Prog (as in progressive rock), though, others don't think of it as true Prog.  To some, a certain symphonic sound typifies Prog.  I don't think of In the Court... as the first or, even really the first of its kind, though it may have progressed farther from late 60's pop and blues revival music. Procul Harem has early music that I consider to be prog.  Anyway, sorry, I'm not adding anything nutritious to your points.

Carmina Burana, or at least "O Fortuna" was influential to Prog artists and has similarities.  Of course it's not Prog in that it's not progressive rock.  A part of the Prog movement, of course, was incorporating other genres (such as Academic Music and jazz) into a  rock framework.  Often they would actually lift music from composers rather than merely emulating or being influenced by the style.

Incidentally, for me prog mostly equals music that is rock-based that blend genres, and progresses from typical rock conventions (or expands on the possibilities of what rock can be).

What the first true prog album is really does depend on one's working prog definition.  I like to think that we're going to discover much earlier rock-based, or rock-related music, that will comfortably sit alongside albums represented as Prog by PA's various category standards.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 13:30
Good points. I was missing Procol Harum, 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
akajazzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 14:02

You guys crack me up.   Elvis!   Dylan   J    I see both the humor and truth in that stuff.   But I do appreciate seeing more serious answers.   I’m going to buy some of these suggestions to see if I can argue that ITCOTKC isn’t the answer.  

Logan, you’re spot on with “What the first true prog album is really does depend on one's working prog definition.”

I personally, have a broader view of Prog than my friend.  The Stack of CDs that I keep in my “Progressive Rock Collection” is far more expansive than the strict paradigm I’m putting on it for the sake of this discussion.   In it I keep early Soft Machine, Pipers, Procol, early Zappa,  Supertramp, Kate Bush, Tortoise, Neu, Anathema, Traffic, Moody’s and many other bands that don’t fall within the strict parameters my friend puts on Prog.  In fact, that leads to a separate argument I’ve had with him about the definition of Prog.  For example, he vehemently denies that Pink Floyd was never “Prog” because they weren’t virtuosic enough.   Which I think is pure crap. 

Still, within his definition of Prog Rock, ITCOTCK was the first.  Although I don’t agree with that strict of a parameter on the label “Prog Rock”, labels aside, he does have a point that there is a style and sound to ITCOTCK that I’ve not heard in other albums prior to its release.   Again, labels aside, I do hear a clean break or jump forward between ITCOTCK and prior releases.   Again "you know it when you hear it" Gentle Giant, Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson style rock that is post- psych, arty or jazzy.   Composed  Rock, different sections or even songs strung together, played with virtuosity, with some long instrumental passages and long trade-offs and some improv breaks.   

I need to find the closest album to “that” that came out before ITCOTCK.  Thanks to those that gave me some great suggestions, I’ll check them out (and keep them coming).  And I also appreciate others who agree with my friend that ITCOTCK is really the first of “that” style.   All the other perspectives and jokes are interesting too.  Thanks.

himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 14:22
Moody Blues-Days of Future Passed undeniably beat ITCOTCK to the punch.  People only say it's not progressive because theres vocals throughout and it's not dark sounding.
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 14:59
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

People only say it's not progressive because theres vocals throughout and it's not dark sounding.

Neither Gentle Giant , and yet no one denies its progness.
i just probably get Moody Blues-Days of Future Passed and listen to it.
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:10
What are you saying right now?  If you meant something along the lines of "Same with Gentle Giant and no one denies its proginess".....  Gentle Giant is pretty dark sounding, and is so blatantly heavily progressive.  
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:17

Moody Blues-Days of Future Passed undeniably beat ITCOTCK to the punch.  People only say it's not progressive because theres vocals throughout and it's not dark sounding.

People say things aren't progressive because there are vocals? Stern Smile
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:17
Gentle Giant can sound positively evil.  Such a great track...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:19
himtroy, I'm playing Days of Future as I type.  I too keep in my Prog collection.  The use of symphony and suite certainly was ground breaking and progressive.  Same with some of the compositions.   But the songs are slow and beautiful, not with the intricate composed (and improvised) workouts of more modern Prog.  There isn't the speed and virtuosity in drums, guitar, sax and keys that you find on ITCOTCK.   Possibly my question shouldn't be so much whats the first Prog album, but is there anything that sounds somewhat similar to KC's first album that came before it?  

For example  maani says "ulmostst unarguably the first, most quintessential prog-rock album ever, Court virtually came out of nowhere, and almost single-handedly defined "prog-rock" at its infancy. Taking "metal" and "experimental" to their extremes, and making use of some of the first truly textured "atmospheres" (fuzz paranoia in Schizoid Man, dreamy surreality in Wind, etc.), Fripp & Co. put prog-rock on the map with this flawless, in-your-face album."

His point, that it "came out of nowhere" is a good one.   I really am not trying to deny that there was progressive music prior to it, I'm just trying to find anything that had that sort of sound/style prior to it.   Another way of looking at it is does ITCOTCK  get too much credit for being such an out of the blue influential prog powerhouse?  

For example, Tommy was often called the first Rock Opera/Concept album of its kind; and Townshend went out of his way to say how heavily he was influenced by Pretty Things' "SF Sorrow"

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:30
Originally posted by VanVanVan VanVanVan wrote:

Vocals, depending on how they're used, can make music sound less "progressive".  If the music is vocals-based (the vocals are dominant), and the music lends itself to a typical song structure, then it's less likely going to sound progressive.  I often find when the vocals are being used as a musical instrument more than as a means to convey words, it sounds more progressive.  The Beatles were mentioned, and I don't think of the Beatles as even Proto-Prog (though I won't deny the influence it had) because it's largely still song-based music to me.  Aside from that, I must admit that there is music that I might have thought appropriate for PA were it not for the vocals (had it been instrumental I would have been more lenient).

Instrumentals commonly are associated with Prog, and if it starts to sound too much like a "song" (say a singer/songwriter type work), that can really make it sound less progressive.  I like choral vocals in progressive rock very music.  The Moody Blues often does sound rather less progressive (in the sense of being Proggy) because I feel it's too song-based.

Edited by Logan - July 24 2010 at 15:31
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:36
Originally posted by VanVanVan VanVanVan wrote:

Because there are consistently vocals throughout and no long instrumental passages?  Yes actually, people on this site do imply such things.
Johnnytuba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:49
My first taste of prog was Rush Retrospective followed shortly after by 2112.  After about 6 months I ended up getting their entire 70's catalog followed by Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.  Yes's fragile followed about a year later.

But if you want to count Tool in with this, then I have been listening to them since 94, and much longer than everything else.

Edited by Johnnytuba - July 24 2010 at 15:50
"The things that we're concealing, will never let us grow.
Time will do its healing, you've got to let it go.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:53
^Wrong topic?
Johnnytuba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 16:04
Sorry fellow proggers, I posted in the wrong topic
"The things that we're concealing, will never let us grow.
Time will do its healing, you've got to let it go.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 16:28
This thread has been very valuable to me for a variety of reasons, but one is Pssros' recommendation of EAST OF EDEN's ''Mercator projected''.    Now that I've heard some of that album, it clearly has something to offer/compete against ITCOTCK.   This is cool stuff.  BUT, did it come out before October 1969?   I can't find that anywhere?

Bruce Eder at All Music Guide says " It's also one of the most daring debut albums of its period, less tightly focused than, say, King Crimson's Court of the Crimson King but otherwise equally bold and maybe more challenging. The whole record is eerie — coming from a pop culture where most psychedelic rock tended toward the light and airy — the way the high-impact bass, drum, and guitar parts interact with the distinctly Oriental and Central/Eastern European classical influences. The title track is a surprise coming from any British psychedelic band of the period, opening with a pounding heavy metal beat pumped out on Steve York's bass and Dave Dufort's drums, while Dave Arbus' electric violin subs for what would normally be the rhythm guitar part and Geoff Nicholson's guitar twists a blues riff around before setting a Jimi Hendrix-like wave of tonal pyrotechnics ablaze for the finale. Though most of the rest isn't as hard rocking as that, it is still progressive rock with balls."

I may have found my answer, I just need a date. 

Also, learned that Fripp (Wakeman, Emerson) were influenced some by watching a band called 1,2,3 (later the Clouds) at the Marquee Club...but my ears tell me, its still more proto-Prog.
reality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 17:01
Its Renaissance by Renaissance you noobs! Gee, brought me out of posting retirement for this one!
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 17:05
The first Prog album was the first album ever released, which I don't know what is it, but I do know that it is Prog for being the first album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 17:18
I'm showing that the first Renaissance was Dec 1969.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 17:20
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

The first Prog album was the first album ever released, which I don't know what is it, but I do know that it is Prog for being the first album.

It was a stone-age record when they still put the rock, literally, in rock and roll.  Okay, at least there are certain archaeological records which are not really pertinent, but no LPs of which I am aware; however, some might surmise that certain stone age rock bands pressed records using wooly mammoth dung.  It's a hypothesis, anyway, and not a good one.

As for the first recording of music, the oldest one I'm aware of was one from 1860 (Claire de la Lune), unfortunately, it isn't Prog (Progressive Rock).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>