FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLosing interest in prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing interest in prog
    Posted: December 30 2011 at 13:56
I must say I lose interest in prog. It just does not interest me anymore what new albums come out, with the odd exception. Jazz and classical music  are much more interesting, in my opinion.. There is so much music to discover which expands my mind more than prog; why, completely exploring the works of Johann Sebastian Bach lone seems to be a task that would take a lifetime but would be much more fulfilling than wasting my time with so-called "new" prog albums which are more or less just an endless repetition of what has already been said.

What's more: I hate the way albums are being produced these days; they all sound extremely sterile. Each instrument clearly separated from the other. Some audio freaks may rejoice about that, but that is not what music sounds like when it is being played live. The instruments all mingle then; there are multiple reverberations and fractions of sound, and this is what makes music sound "alive"; so much nicer for my ears.

I know many of you will disagree and come up with examples of what I absolutely "have" to hear. And I know equally well that I will listen to it, shrug and say "so what?"

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:24
I kind of feel the same way.

However, the thing of ProgArchives is that it included such a variety of musical forms that there are actually some new "prog" music still worth listening, although you (and I) may not consider it actually prog.

I've been listening to a lot of jazz lately, as well as many indie bands, so yeah, I'm not listening to much Prog and not really keen in the "New Wave of Prog" much anymore.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:31
I've been sick of prog for years. Whenever I found this site, I was excited and listened to everything that was listed on this site and I could get my hands on. Now, after a few years, I've listened to each genre extensively and found the artists that I enjoy versus the artists that I think are kind of lame, and now I'm less interested in prog and have moved onto my next phase: dance music and nu-jazz.

I still come here to talk to prog fans, because once you go prog there is no turning back completely. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:36
I feel my interest in new bands has pretty much disappeared.I'm content with what i've got and that relentless pursuit for that special band or album has stopped.Maybe i'll miss out but at this point i don't care because i'm too busy enjoying what i've got.I bought far less new releases than in previous years and that trend will continue.
I love Prog though, and it will be almost all that i listen to in it's various forms.Listening to HATFIELD AND THE NORTH right now.Big smile
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:42
I've been a bit bored with prog myself lately, but this often happens with my musical tastes. I'm listening to more jazz than anything else at the moment, but there are still occasional Zeuhl and RIO gems to stimulate my jaded palate.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:53
I lose interest in lots of things. My tastes kinda cycle every few months. If anything, they get more specific the next time around. 
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 15:02
Oh, I still love the old stuff; it is just that new developments leave me cold . One reason for that may also be my own music, which I don't think would fall under "prog" but which interests me a lot more.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 15:07
I'm going into the RIO/Avant, there's a lot of old and new stuff that I find different from everything else. Sooner or later I'll look for new things, but the world is full of good music and prog is just a label. I don't care if what I listen to is called prog or newage or jazz or classic or metal, or even world. If an artist puts a bit of himself in what he/she does for me is enough.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 15:14
Originally posted by CloseToTheMoon CloseToTheMoon wrote:

I lose interest in lots of things. My tastes kinda cycle every few months. If anything, they get more specific the next time around. 

Likewise.

For me, it's an infinite cycle of musical preferences. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 15:23

I too am not interested in all those generic retro-prog bands or prog-metal bands, they all sound terribly uninspired to my ears.

I respect the classic prog bands, but when it comes to modern prog, I like it when there is a right balance between melodies and technicality (Enchant, Mind's Eye, A.CT., Loch Vostok, IONA or Seventh Wonder for example).

I find a lot to like in the "alternative" scene and electronic music, and the "weird" bands that push the boundaries of eclectism like Mr. Bungle, Vladimir Bozar n' ze sheraf orkestar, Igorrr or Hipospadia.

I am very eclectic in my tastes (jazz, blues, classical, folk, country, traditional, ska, reggae, soul, funk, chanson française, pop, metal, indus, gothic...), but when it comes to pick an album of modern prog, I would be more careful than with any other genre !
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
DreamInSong View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 15:53
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I must say I lose interest in prog. It just does not interest me anymore what new albums come out, with the odd exception. Jazz and classical music  are much more interesting, in my opinion.. There is so much music to discover which expands my mind more than prog; why, completely exploring the works of Johann Sebastian Bach lone seems to be a task that would take a lifetime but would be much more fulfilling than wasting my time with so-called "new" prog albums which are more or less just an endless repetition of what has already been said.

What's more: I hate the way albums are being produced these days; they all sound extremely sterile. Each instrument clearly separated from the other. Some audio freaks may rejoice about that, but that is not what music sounds like when it is being played live. The instruments all mingle then; there are multiple reverberations and fractions of sound, and this is what makes music sound "alive"; so much nicer for my ears.

I know many of you will disagree and come up with examples of what I absolutely "have" to hear. And I know equally well that I will listen to it, shrug and say "so what?"

1. There's really nothing new under the sun
2. I agree about production, and yes I'm an audio freak who likes it (for some albums). It allows the composer to better create what they are trying to get across. If they want the intermingling of a live album, they can do that... or make a live album. This way you get two great experiences from one composition.
3. It's a good idea to listen to more than prog anyway Tongue I've been listening to pop-rock (The National, The Shins), metal (Giant Squid, Gojira), and ambient music (Bass Communion, Riceboy Sleeps) recently
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 16:04
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I feel my interest in new bands has pretty much disappeared.I'm content with what i've got and that relentless pursuit for that special band or album has stopped.Maybe i'll miss out but at this point i don't care because i'm too busy enjoying what i've got.I bought far less new releases than in previous years and that trend will continue.

It must be, damn it's like 20 days since you last posted a review. Are you sure you're feeling well LOL

Cimnele View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 16:04
Originally posted by DreamInSong DreamInSong wrote:

My condolences to anyone who accepts this as truth.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 16:06

2. I agree about production, and yes I'm an audio freak who likes it (for some albums). It allows the composer to better create what they are trying to get across. If they want the intermingling of a live album, they can do that... or make a live album. This way you get two great experiences from one composition.
3. It's a good idea to listen to more than prog anyway Tongue I've been listening to pop-rock (The National, The Shins), metal (Giant Squid, Gojira), and ambient music (Bass Communion, Riceboy Sleeps) recently

I disagree about 2). It does not bring anything better across if all instruments are strictly separated; it just sounds more sterile. You simply lose a lot of overtones if you record that way; it sounds more poorly then. This may sound contradictory for the audio freaks, but it is true.

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 16:10
Originally posted by Cimnele Cimnele wrote:

My condolences to anyone who accepts this as truth.

Well I largely agree with that. 95% of the 800+ bands/albums I (had to) listen to this year were very generic, or non-surprising at best.
But amongst those I still found many to enjoy. But that small 5% is not to be found amongst the most rated or most popular releases unfortunately.
Also, I obviously listened to a totally wrong selection of stuff LOL

Edited by Bonnek - December 30 2011 at 16:11
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 16:10
More than prog, I like progressive music, be it jazz, rock, blues, etc. I think I understand how you feel, and believe me, It happened to me a long time ago. The best thing is, I learned to appreciate music for what is it, not just a genre I thought was the best. I still love prog, and I listen to it most of the time, but enjoy a lot of jazz, like charles Lloyd, Michel Pretrucciani, Nate Jarrell, etc, and what to speak of classical music, all the great composers of the classical, baroque, romantic, etc periods are quite enjoyable and sublime. Also word music, blues, cuban beat, etc.

Once a hard headed prog fan, now I take the music for it's value, and have a heck of a great time, way more that before.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 16:13
I never lose interest in music on a genre level but have a few rare moments (OK not so few, damn you TV and sex!!) when I don't want to be listening to music.  I think why is that I don't focus too much on the genre but whether the music is enjoyable.  Just so happens probably 90-95% of it is considered prog by many here.  Not much jazz or classical makes it into my collection but I don't avoid or focus on it.  Maybe it's because I'm not paying enough attention to the production.  From a content standpoint there is enough going on now under the prog umbrella to keep me satisfied.  The new release that didn't excite me this year was Forever.  Likely eclipsed by all the other new prog releases I was getting.  There is a certain factor in enjoying the new music and the old being heard perhaps a little too frequently.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 30 2011 at 16:17
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

DreamInSong View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 16:30

It does not bring anything better across if all instruments are strictly separated; it just sounds more sterile. You simply lose a lot of overtones if you record that way; it sounds more poorly then. This may sound contradictory for the audio freaks, but it is true.

Can you give an example of an album that has good compositions, but the "sterile" production has ruined it for you? A "must hear," that you found disappointing because of the production. It might be easier discuss this with a starting point.

Or am I confusing two different points here?
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 16:47
I've never tired of prog and I doubt if I ever will.

I don't care too much if bands don't reinvent the wheel so long as i like what they do. Clearly many new bands aren't to my taste, but nor in the 70s were King Crimson or Van de Graaf Generator (or Gentle Giant for that matter, though I underwent an epiphany as far as they were concerned).

There has been an awful lot of excellent prog produced since 2000; Mostly Autumn have done some superb ones including The Last Bright Light (the best album since Moonmadness in 1976); IQ have done Dark Matter and Frequency; Second Life Syndrome came from Riverside; there have been several great efforts by Phideaux, Transatlantic, Wobbler, Porcupine Tree. I could think up more, I'm sure.

No - I love prog and I aways will, though I listen to other genres.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 16:52
It's always good to take a holiday from any genre you've been listening to a lot of and see what else is out there. I did for about five years and by the time I came back there was a heap of new releases to catch up on and a bunch of older releases which the community had rediscovered and had become more prominent again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>