Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed70s Prog Drumming to Modern Ears

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70s Prog Drumming to Modern Ears
    Posted: February 21 2012 at 20:24
70s Prog Drumming to Modern Ears

The drum department on Moving Pictures and 2112 are considered some of the best drumming in rock but are they still as good, by today's standards? I fail to notice anything spectacular. Have newer bands learnt all of Neil Peart's '70s tricks already?

However, I find the drumming for King Crimson (Red) and Genesis (England) to be more unique sounding and intriguing than the two albums mentioned above. I can hear hints of Neil Peart in a lot of modern rock albums, but haven't found King Crimson and Genesis's drumming styles replicated by newer bands. So if people were trying to learn from 70s prog, why haven't they learnt from Crimson and Genesis?

On a related note, legendary 70s guitarists such as Robert Fripp, Steve Howe and Ritchie Blackmore, are these people still among the best by today's standards? If the bar has been raised for drumming, then it should be for other instruments as well.

Discuss or guide me to a thread that addresses the same topic.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 20:51
Peart revolutionized ROCK drumming. Though Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, Farewell to Kings, still are the pinnacles for rock drumming and Peart's drumming career it can sound unoriginal to today standards.

Some reasons i think this may be is...

-Influence is everywhere, so when it's compared to tons of other drummers since the albums have been released, Peart doesn't  have the same individuality he had in the 70's and 80's.
-I can't really describe it well, but i think it may be due to not having jazz-influence. It doesn't seem as timeless. Kind of a repetitiousness statement, but it seems to be slightly different.

Bias and uninformed opinion i guess, hope i don't look dumb. 

Edited by Horizons - February 21 2012 at 20:51
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 21:12

Peart didn't have Jazz influence in his drumming, you serious?? 

Okay, so what would be examples of prog rock drumming that has Jazz influence, King Crimson's Red maybe?

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 21:24
Peart is very limited to jazz influence, even he said that he was a machine - technical with flawless timing. Wasn't until Grubber that he became a bit more smooth and tried not to be a super-metronome. I think. 

Bruford is a jazz drummer overall. Just playing rock music. 

Edited by Horizons - February 21 2012 at 21:25
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 21:34
Generally speaking, drumming and composition overall were vastly different prior to the 1) disco, electronic dance music, and the 80s when everything is grid-like and/or quantized, and 2) the introduction of digital audio editing in the 90s. These are watersheds that gradually decreased our tolerance for flexible time and tempo changes. Now, we are prog fans I assume, so we can take the time changes, but even still the rigidity of digital audio has its influence. A drummer now in the rock/pop genre is expected to keep very good time, and if he doesn't he will be edited to do so in post. Now, by my estimation, Neal was and still is a very tight drummer, especially in the 80s and on. Bruford is very certainly not, at least not on Yes and KC albums. This is to his credit though, as his flexibility allowed for much more innovation in polyrhythm than Peart had chops and immense creativity, but Bruford just thinks differently. Like a jazz drummer, which he is. Different styles for different purposes. Both are my most highly respected drummers in rock music.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 21:40
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Now, by my estimation, Neal was and still is a very tight drummer, especially in the 80s and on. Bruford is very certainly not, at least not on Yes and KC albums. This is to his credit though, as his flexibility allowed for much more innovation in polyrhythm than Peart had chops and immense creativity, but Bruford just thinks differently. Like a jazz drummer, which he is. Different styles for different purposes. Both are my most highly respected drummers in rock music.

Well said, exactly what i was trying to convey. 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 21:57
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

The drum department on Moving Pictures and 2112 are considered some of the best drumming in rock

lolwut
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 22:26
Neil Peart ushered in a kind of tight, relentless style of drumming.  It was sort of new at that time and that's it.  He is quite overrated, though he's excellent. I, for one, like listening to him a lot more than Portnoy because for all his supposed machine like qualities, he still has great feel.  Then again, Portnoy has a huge fanbase being that he is from DT while I would much rather listen to Gavin Harrison. 

No comparison, though, to Bruford or Moerlen or Vander.  It's not so much to do with jazz but that rock musicians used to improvise a lot more at that time.  You can still get that sort of flavour to some extent with some groups like Dave Matthews Band but a lot of heavy metal based bands prefer a more precise style of playing.  It has its pluses and minuses, wouldn't say improvisation is everything either.  
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 22:39
'70s prog drumming is better than any drumming I could ever do, but that's true with nearly all drumming of any time period.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 22:53
don't look futher then to Mastodon and Brann Dailor to hear a drummer fully emrsed in Phil Collins and Bill Bruford,

Gavin Harrison sites to persons Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro as main influences,

and Danny Carey sites Lenny White and Bill Bruford (and Bonham)

Edited by aginor - February 21 2012 at 22:54
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 22:56
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Peart revolutionized ROCK drumming. Though Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, Farewell to Kings, still are the pinnacles for rock drumming and Peart's drumming career it can sound unoriginal to today standards.

Some reasons i think this may be is...

-Influence is everywhere, so when it's compared to tons of other drummers since the albums have been released, Peart doesn't  have the same individuality he had in the 70's and 80's.
-I can't really describe it well, but i think it may be due to not having jazz-influence. It doesn't seem as timeless. Kind of a repetitiousness statement, but it seems to be slightly different.

Bias and uninformed opinion i guess, hope i don't look dumb. 

You're right, I think; Peart, though a great drummer, was very much grounded in traditional rock, not in jazz, and his playing represented the climax of hard rock drumming.  He started with the driving rhythms of hard rock and metal, and took them to an extreme, both technically and musically.  Bruford, Collins, and others like them, on the other hand, were more diverse in their playing, bringing in myriads of other influences instead of focusing on rock, per se.  So because Peart's drumming was essentially rock-based, he spawned a host of imitators, while the less accessible prog drummers had a more limited influence.  I don't think that this diminishes Peart's greatness; he just doesn't stand out as much because so many people tried to copy him.  Just listen to the Foo Fighters' "Rope:" shameless Peart plagirism.

If I'm totally wrong about this, please correct me, I'm not a drummer and don't know that much about said drums.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 00:29
There have always been great drummers , even a few fantastic ones even today but I have seen Bill Bruford, Alan White , Billy Cobham, Paul Thompson, Simon Phillips, Leon Chancler, Mike Giles, Lenny White Mel Gaynor etc.... all were unique and technically insane but Bonham was simply monstrous . I am sure that most drummers could play like that without too much technical difficulty but the sheer bulldozer passion was something to behold. Drums is not just sound and speed , its mostly about sweat and brains. Gavin Harrison nearly blew me sideways in concert. Wow!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 00:43
no-one bear like Pugwash though (John Weathers) his syncopative grooves are to behold, and are very intricate, and hard rocking, he must have the tongue straight in the mouth, but his face is all wiggeling like a hamster
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 01:39
Putting aside technical skill then Fred Schendel as a case in point is interesting. He is actually the keyboardist in Glass Hammer but on their early albums like Shadowlands and Lex Rex he also played the drums. What is unique about him is that he plays with pure ' feel' using a small electronic kit (although you wouldn't know it listening to those albums). I miss his drumming on later GH albums which now have a much more technical cold sound as a result. I like Fred's playing which style wise could be described as a less technical version of Bill Bruford.

Modern prog drumming seems to be a lot more harder in sound. Perhaps the influence of prog metal has brought this about? I like Morse solo albums and Portnoy's drumming is a strong feature of them but bares little resemblance to classic prog drumming. Thats okay though.
spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 07:45
70's prog and fusion drummers raised the bar for the instrument and of course, each generation builds on the one before and pushes the boundaries further.  You can also add the proliferation of music schools to the list of reasons why there are so many technically proficient drummers (and guitarists, bassists, etc).  It's no different than something like running the 5 minute mile:  it was a major accomplishment the first time it was done, but now, competitive runners do it in half that time.

The one thing I notice is that while many of yesterday's drummers had very distinct styles and were easily recognizable, I sometimes find to differentiate between many of today's players. 

Edited by spknoevl - February 22 2012 at 07:47
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 08:09
^^^^  Well, in the early years,  the better singers and musicians impose themselves on certain aspects of the trade.  Like Bruford's snare or Peart's hi hat technique.  When I listen to Yes with Alan White, it's tough to get the absence of that snare out of my head because it's so distinct.  Once they have it all covered, distinction becomes more nuanced and more insignificant.  I am sure no two drummers sound quite like each other but the differences get less and less noticeable.  
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 08:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Putting aside technical skill then Fred Schendel as a case in point is interesting. He is actually the keyboardist in Glass Hammer but on their early albums like Shadowlands and Lex Rex he also played the drums. What is unique about him is that he plays with pure ' feel' using a small electronic kit (although you wouldn't know it listening to those albums). I miss his drumming on later GH albums which now have a much more technical cold sound as a result. I like Fred's playing which style wise could be described as a less technical version of Bill Bruford.

Modern prog drumming seems to be a lot more harder in sound. Perhaps the influence of prog metal has brought this about? I like Morse solo albums and Portnoy's drumming is a strong feature of them but bares little resemblance to classic prog drumming. Thats okay though.

Walter Moore, a drummer who became a guitarist, also played drums on those albums you mention.  I have no idea who is playing when on the albums though, since both are credited with drums.

As to Peart, he was an innovator.  Rush has had far more mass popularity than any of the other prog bands we talk about, therefore has probably inspired more drummers than Bruford or Collins (though Collins and Genesis were hugely popular in the 80s, it wasn't for the drumming at that point).
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 09:42
All I know is know from what I've heard of classic prog is nothing comes close to the drumming by Mike Portnoy on Train of Thought
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 09:58
There haven't been any real quantum leaps in drumming since the jazz days of Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich etc. Everything that has been done since then can be directly traced back to them. Think of the jazz era as the great improvisational playground where almost every technique used in drumming today has been developed (yes, even extreme metal double bass techniques and blastbeats!). The merits of the great pop and rock drummers (including prog rock and fusion) lie in channeling these techniques into rhythms/grooves. Bear in mind that jazz playing is mostly improvisational and freeform, while pop and rock music are mostly strict and groove-based. Starting in the late 60s and early 70s, rock drummers began to enrich the drumming palette of rock (which to that points had been limited to rather few simple grooves and variations) by borrowing from jazz. Bill Bruford and Phil Collins are among the first generation of jazz-influenced rock drummers

John Bonham and Keith Moon would be examples of drummers that came before the jazz "explosion" in rock. They were certainly jazz-influenced to some degree, but they were also much more grounded in traditional rhythm & blues patterns. That's why they're so hard-hitting and steady sounding as opposed to the complex, "light" sound of Bruford and Collins (I say it in quotes because Bruford would pioneer heavy prog drumming during his KC years). Neil Peart was influenced by both the jazz-influenced prog drummers and the strictly non-jazz rock drummers of the 60s. He didn't innovate, but I credit him with opening the door for more complex drumming in heavy music.

Peart's drumming still sounds as good today as it was back then. It isn't and has never been among the best of rock drumming. I think the reason why Peart is rated so highly is that he's much easier to understand than many of the earlier prog drummers. Collins and Bruford often sacrificed accuracy for mood, so it's hard to make out exactly what they're playing. Peart is extremely accurate, almost machine-like, so it's easy to make out his parts and recognize them. It also helps that the production is much clearer.

That is one reason why he's copied more often than Bruford and Collins: He's easier to copy. The other reasons is that Peart is closer to the values of modern rock music, i.e. he's simpler and heavier. Bruford and Collins would be too "light".
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 10:28
I think that there are still many great great drummers from the 70s which still sound original. A lot of them for me have probably a more flexible "jazzy" feel to them a lot of times. Guys like Robert Wyatt, Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, Jaki Libezeit (I totally forgot how to spell his last name. Can's drummer), Pip Pyle, Chris Cutler (big emphasis on his style)- still sound great. Can't emphasize how important a good drummer is, just makes a record. If his style is original- it just makes everything so much better. 
There be dragons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>