Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolo Yes better off as Yes albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 15:21
I had no problem with any other personnel change in the past, but Squire was to Yes as Fripp is to KC in my view.  I'd rather see Howe, White and whoever else they want to play with concentrate on new music at this point, without the burden of having to do something Yes-like.

Aside from that, I just don't care for the nostalgia show approach, and I'm particualrly not interested in it when it turns out to basically be an original (or "classic lineup") member or two of a band playing in a cover band doing a nostalgia show.  I want to see people do new material, with new directions based on the unique chemistry, influences, contributions, etc. of a lineup.

Edited by Terrapin Station - August 01 2016 at 15:26
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 21:18
Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

Yea, all the Yes members are very talented in their own right but nothing I've heard within the various members solo careers ever reaches the height of Yes classic material. Sure, there are some very good moments here and there but the collaboration between all the members is what made Yes so special. The only solo album that was ever truly great to my ears was Bruford's One of a Kind, which obviously benefited from Allan Holdsworth presence.

I might not have heard so much of their solo discographies, but I do know many albums from Rick Wakeman and enjoy them a lot. Actually, there are more Wakeman albums that I would give 5 stars than Yes album. For Yes, there's only Fragile and CttE for me, while Wakeman has Six Wives, King Arthur, Criminal Record, and Out There.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 15:43
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Must try Olias again one day. It always irked me that, given it's popularity generally I didn't like it. But ,yes, perhaps that could've been the Yes album between Relayer (one more with Moraz!) and GFTO. Oh well, we may never know.

What's there to be irked about? Either you liked Olias' or you didn't. As for me, I find only about 10 minutes of it worthwhile, and another comment here about it being "muddy" is right on the money. As a Yes album, it would have undoubtedly been lambasted just as much as TFTO was upon arrival.

Edited by Rednight - August 02 2016 at 15:44
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 19:30
I think the majority of Yes members solo albums are awful. Olias and Fish Out of Water are exceptions to the rule and work great as they are. Howes albums in particular are bad. His guitar work is fine but he should not sing. Wakeman albums would be better as a group effort.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 07:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

Yea, all the Yes members are very talented in their own right but nothing I've heard within the various members solo careers ever reaches the height of Yes classic material. Sure, there are some very good moments here and there but the collaboration between all the members is what made Yes so special. The only solo album that was ever truly great to my ears was Bruford's One of a Kind, which obviously benefited from Allan Holdsworth presence.

I might not have heard so much of their solo discographies, but I do know many albums from Rick Wakeman and enjoy them a lot. Actually, there are more Wakeman albums that I would give 5 stars than Yes album. For Yes, there's only Fragile and CttE for me, while Wakeman has Six Wives, King Arthur, Criminal Record, and Out There.

You know, being a big fan of keyboardists, you would think I would enjoy Rick Wakeman's solo discography more so than I do, I 've only really listened to Six Wives, Criminal Record, and King Arthur. Those albums have some good moments, but rarely do I ever feel like listening to the whole album. Six Wives is my favorite that I have listened to. I'll give Out there a listen, to see how I feel about that one.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 21:09
Since you haven't liked the other Wakeman releases, you might not like Out There either, however, it does sound more modern and doesn't have the circus like histrionics he often used in his 70's releases, so it might have a difference in sound you could find more likeable. Still, it's unmistacably Wakeman with lot's of keyboard solos and so.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 08:09
))
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"Olias of Sunhilliow" is the only Jon Anderson album I like, but that one is a 5 star album

I agree. It's the only JA solo that a Yes fan really needs.

Agree---Jon's solo stuff not my thing mostly---(except his Christmas album which I like Smile ) which is why he always needed strong collaborators with classic Yes or with Vangelis. I mean he isn't Peter Gabriel Steve Hackett or even Phil Collins!!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 10:46
Not better, not worse, but different and sometimes that's exactly what's needed.

Just considering the five solo albums that were released between Relayer and Gonig for the One (Fish Out Of Water, Olias of Sunhillow, Beginnngs, Ramshackled and The Story of I) then each of them is exactly what it needs to be, that they weren't Yes albums was pretty much the whole point of them.

Here's something I wrote on this topic 7 years ago:
Quote In a sea of Six Fish Wives Out Of Sunhillow posts that will indubitably dominate this thread I like to make a lone cry for Alan White - Ramshackled. An odd and quite bewildering solo album that's not all bad, or at least not quite as bad as it is made out to be, produced by a band member who really didn't want to make a solo album at that time in his career, who was still trying to fit into Brufford's shoes when this plan for all band members to record a solo album was concocted in 1975... White was a sessions musician, not a band leader, he was developing his writing skills in Yes on TFTO and Relayer, but they weren't ready for solo fight - talk about a fish out of water - here he is trying to fly - so he did what he knew best - got his session musician mates to help out and produced a jazzy soul funk rock lounge lizard album - not a stunningly good one, but an honest one and one I've enjoyed listening to from time to time over the past 33 years or so. It's the only Yes solo album to bear the Yes logo as far as I'm aware.

When Yes clicked they were magnificent, like all groups that gel into a perfect fusion what they produced in those moments was greater than the sum of the parts - I'll even begrudgingly acknowledge that Close to the Edge's title track is a fine example of that even though I dislike the damn thing with something that is approaching an obsession. But these solo albums were never meant to be that and I love them all the more for it (even Beginnings, which is the least successful of them all to my ancient lugholes).
What?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 21:56
I love Anderson's "Olias," and had the unique pleasure to watch him perform "Flight of the Moorglade" at his "Voice of Yes" show in Illinois back in 2011!   This is excellent, please enjoy! 

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12