Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - From the Top Prog Metal Albums List of PA, Choose
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

From the Top Prog Metal Albums List of PA, Choose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which Prog Metal Band Do You Choose?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [17.07%]
9 [21.95%]
3 [7.32%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [12.20%]
2 [4.88%]
1 [2.44%]
4 [9.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
1 [2.44%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.88%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [12.20%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 21:06
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I'm surprised Riverside is considered metal here. I've heard heavy prog bands more metal than they are.

I picked Diablo Swing Orchestra just because they are so unique but i really love most of these.

You mean like Haken? LOL

As for Diablo Swing Orchestra the name sounds familiar but I can't say I've heard their music.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 00:37
Haken has become hard to place. Their first three albums exist somewhere between Heavy and Symphonic, with hints of metal. But the metal sound has increased every single album. You can even hear an increase between Aquarius and Visions. Affinity continues the trend with some crossover elements. Vector and Virus are basically prog metal albums. That seems to be where they are now.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 02:16

I'm surprised Riverside is considered metal here. I've heard heavy prog bands more metal than they are.

their 2000s albums are progressive metal. 

Edited by Cristi - June 29 2020 at 02:17
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 05:39
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Vector and Virus are basically prog metal albums. That seems to be where they are now.
And they've lost me! Too much metal, not enough melodies. I guess that puts me in the "symphonic" category.

I must say that Visions (2011), The Mountain (2013) and Affinity (2016) are all excellent in my book.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 09:35
Riverside +1
With Diablo Swing Orchestra close behind. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

More like late 90's and early 2000's.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 10:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

More like late 90's and early 2000's.

I'm sorry. You said Riverside but for some reason I was thinking of Pain of Salvation. I don't really know Riverside that well so I won't make an official comment.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 15:11
Diablo Swing Orchestra is so avant-garde; not only just because it got 3 votes as a band from the bottom of the list, but also because they grant a wingless demon with wings. (Diablo's Wing Orchestra)

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 15:14
There is only one on this list that I know and like, and that is Diablo Swing Orchestra. It's my favourite in the Progressive Metal category.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 15:21
I like them a lot too, but went with my favourite band Symphony X.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 15:29

Vector and Virus are basically prog metal albums. That seems to be where they are now.
I agree that Vector is prog metal. Virus has not been released yet. Have you heard the entire album? Of the three songs available from Virus it's hard to say if it will be heavy like Vector or not.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 12:19
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I agree that Vector is prog metal. Virus has not been released yet. Have you heard the entire album? Of the three songs available from Virus it's hard to say if it will be heavy like Vector or not.

Personally, I'm basing it on the three released singles. However, it has been leaked somewhere, and my friend got a hold of the leak. He sent me a link, but out of respect for the musicians, I didn't listen. But my friend did mention it was similar to Vector and that he was underwhelmed.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 13:35
DT followed closely by Riverside
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 14:40
Riverside and Ayreon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123