Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is 'Sgt. Pepper' overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 18:38
It's mainly important because it was innovative. The album influenced most or all Pop bands in the U.S. shortly after its release. One particular aspect of Sgt. Pepper that was outright copied was the zany Broadway affect in "Fixing A Hole" or "When I'm 64" which began to turn up everywhere in Rock Music thereafter. The Kinks had that style in 66' with "Little Miss Queen Of Darkness" but the difference with Pepper was George Martin . The sound and style of the horns, the orchestration was turning up on Lovin Spoonful albums and literally everybody that had a hit record. It inspired generations of musicians to write differently. It was innovative for the times we were living in. It actually inspired most bands to do concept albums. Of course other bands were already doing this and so that narrows it down to the fact that Pepper was more appealing and very much a new style of writing in 67' that no one was pulling off in that way. The same applies to Laura Nyro's style of writing which was more adventurous and required skill to play properly. She actually changed song writing. Everyone copied her chord changes, her voicing, and her syncopation in rhythm. Sgt. Pepper had that kind of impact on musicians. I don't like the entire album and I rarely listen to it, but I don't rule out that it was innovative.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 20:25
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

The fact that the album is still being dissected and discussed almost 55 years later is one indicator of its importance as one of the most iconic recordings of all time, and possibly the most iconic recording of the 1960's.

"Sgt. Peppers..." was the soundtrack to the so called "Summer of Love", a brief golden period brimming with hope, when anything seemed possible and all you needed was love.

It didn't take long though for everything to start falling to pieces, inside and outside The Beatles camp. The "Summer of Love" turned out to be an oasis, a mirage, a short lived illusion that was soon shattered.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 29 2021 at 20:37
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 21:03
^ The 'summer of love' was a media exaggeration, unfortunately a lot of dumb kids fell for it, left home and ended up homeless in San Francisco, Los Angeles and other locales.
San Francisco is freezing cold at night year round, I've heard that summer (67) was particularly warm, but still, I bet a lot of naive kids froze their ass off that summer.

Edited by Easy Money - December 29 2021 at 21:07
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 22:30
Some songs on it are stronger than others but no it's not really overrated imo.

Here are the weakest songs imo from weakest to not as weak:

When I'm 64
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite
Within You Without You
She's Leaving Home

The rest of the album is quite a bit better than any of those imo. However, I still wouldn't say the album as a whole is overrated. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 29 2021 at 22:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 22:39
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ The 'summer of love' was a media exaggeration, unfortunately a lot of dumb kids fell for it, left home and ended up homeless in San Francisco, Los Angeles and other locales.
San Francisco is freezing cold at night year round, I've heard that summer (67) was particularly warm, but still, I bet a lot of naive kids froze their ass off that summer.

George Harrisons comments after visiting San Francisco in 1967 are quite telling:

Harrison noted he thought the Haight “would be something like King’s Road (in London), only more. Somehow I expected them to all own their own little shops. I expected them all to be nice and clean and friendly and happy. Instead, he said, he found the hippies “hideous, spotty little teenagers.” He further noted, “I went there expecting it to be a brilliant place, with groovy gypsy people making works of art and paintings and carvings in little workshops. But it was full of horrible spotty drop-out kids on drugs, and it turned me right off the whole scene.”

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 14:18

Doesn't the temp have to go below 32 to "freeze your ass off" ?

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 14:46
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Doesn't the temp have to go below 32 to "freeze your ass off" ?

Technically yes, but that cold Pacific wind at night makes for a hell of a wind chill factor.
Now that you mention it, I suppose no one's ass actually falls off when you freeze.

Edited by Easy Money - December 30 2021 at 14:46
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 15:03
The homeless congregate on the left coast for a reason. It ain't all Donner party and Charles Manson. The hippie movement....... I imagine a lot of freaks just thumbed up and down the cali coast. Just take a number at Santa Barbara and when its your turn hold up the sign that says Weed. It was destined to run out of steam as the freaks melted into the forests of North cali, Oregon and Washington. Ran out of steam just like the Beatles who by the end were no better than Revolver/Rubber Soul
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 15:59
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Ran out of steam just like the Beatles who by the end were no better than Revolver/Rubber Soul

Well, they were trying to get back. Part of the problem was that they were all trying to get back to different places.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 18:04
I think stuffed peppers are underrated. I just had one and yum yum yum

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 18:20
^ Try eating them every day for two weeks and see what you think about 'em then,  Mr. Terrific.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 18:27
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Try eating them every day for two weeks and see what you think about 'em then,  Mr. Terrific.

Depends what ya stuff them with, Pear Man!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2022 at 15:49
This was my review of the album btw.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2022 at 17:33

A very well considered and argued review, I would say.

I would just like to take the opportunity to be pedantic about one thing:

"Lyrically it [A Day in the Life] is based on three unrelated stories: the death in a traffic accident of a member of the House of Lords, a war that had just been won, and the - in the context - absurd story of 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire."

Actually the reference to the war that had just been won is an allusion to the movie Lennon was in just before the recording of "Sgt. Peppers..." titled "How I Won the War", and its somewhat lukewarm reception.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2022 at 17:47
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

"Lyrically it [A Day in the Life] is based on three unrelated stories: the death in a traffic accident of a member of the House of Lords, a war that had just been won, and the - in the context - absurd story of 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire."

Actually the reference to the war that had just been won is an allusion to the movie Lennon was in just before the recording of "Sgt. Peppers..." titled "How I Won the War", and its somewhat lukewarm reception.

Lennon is referring to an actual news article he read ("I read the new today, oh boy'')regarding potholes in the streets of Blackburn: "There are 4000 holes in the road in Blackburn Lancashire, one twenty-sixth of a hole per person, according to a council survey. If Blackburn is typical then there are over two million holes in Britain's roads and 300 000 in London."

The next line "Now we know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall" is perhaps Lennon being cheeky and referring to a**holes in the seats, or more likely since the Royal Albert Hall seats about 8,000, then 50% of the audience has v*ginas. Because in tandem:

Now we know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall --
I'd love to turn you on"

An interesting...insertion, yes?

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 03 2022 at 17:50
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2022 at 18:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Lennon is referring to an actual news article he read ("I read the new today, oh boy'')regarding potholes in the streets of Blackburn: "There are 4000 holes in the road in Blackburn Lancashire, one twenty-sixth of a hole per person, according to a council survey. If Blackburn is typical then there are over two million holes in Britain's roads and 300 000 in London."

The next line "Now we know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall" is perhaps Lennon being cheeky and referring to a**holes in the seats, or more likely since the Royal Albert Hall seats about 8,000, then 50% of the audience has v*ginas. Because in tandem:

I'd love to turn you on"

You are quite right in all regards concerning those 4000 holes.

Apart from that cheeky(Wink) allusion Lennon is also making a comment on the contrast between the reporting of a tragic death in the first verse juxtaposed in the same paper ( even perhaps on the same page) with the frivolity of reporting on such a banal topic as how many holes there are in some street, and the fact that someone actually took the trouble to count them.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2022 at 05:15
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I'd love to turn you on"

If I remember correctly, Lennon had the lyric "Now we know how many holes it takes to something the Albert Hall" but couldn't think of a suitable word to go in there and it was Mal Evans who suggested the word "fill".
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2022 at 07:35
It's perfect.
The Prog Corner
Hewitt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hewitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2022 at 20:42
Pepper and Piper at the Gates of Dawn, both recorded at Abbey Road during the same period,
were probably the two formative albums leading to what became known as progressive rock, so it’s not really possible for it to be overrated.

Edited by Hewitt - January 08 2022 at 20:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789