Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

unidentified from the 70s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unidentified from the 70s
    Posted: September 13 2020 at 16:09

Hey progheads!

Do you know this forgotten gem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=9DVt6OTzbRk&feature=emb_logo

It was broadcast by John Peel in 1974. Sounds English to me and heavy prog the most possible style.

https://peel.fandom.com/wiki/19_March_1974

Description: unknown thin lizzy style double lead guitars; "to be united with each other, to be united for all time, to give a little, not take a lot, to share the equal in all we’ve got” Slightly hard rock style singing

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 16:13
No results from shazam. 1974 sounds about right though. 
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 16:18
Yeah AFlowerKingCrimson, 1974 most probable year, then 1973. First broadcast 19_March_1974.

And I forgot to mention that software doesn’t help. Unhappy
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 16:20
Never heard it before.
FXM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FXM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 18:52
An early Lone Star session????
Vocalist sounds rather like the vocalist on their first album - Kenny Driscoll.
At times they did have that "Thin Lizzy" like sound.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 20:03
I have no clue who it is.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 20:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'd say earlier than 1974, maybe 1970.  The drummer is not very proficient, sounds like he is beating on cans. 

I used to play in bands that would come up with stuff like this in practice all the time.  I'm guessing it is a studio out take or rough cut, not something any of us would recognize. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 23:00
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'd say earlier than 1974, maybe 1970.  The drummer is not very proficient, sounds like he is beating on cans. 

I used to play in bands that would come up with stuff like this in practice all the time.  I'm guessing it is a studio out take or rough cut, not something any of us would recognize. 

1970? Not to me. It actually says it was broadcast in 1974 so that's when it was recorded for that performance at least.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 09:08
I used to have a full recording of every John Peel show from about 1973 to 1979, but they were thrown out by an ex-partner by mistake.
I definitely remember this but can't for the life of me remember who it is.
But I remember Flynn the Skin and all his other characters. I loved the way John Peel used to take the piss out of Fluff Freeman and Fluff used to go along with it. Two geniuses of rock radio,
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:10
Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

Kenny Driscoll has a more high-pitched voice and he must have been a little younger than the unknown singer. Also, Lone Star’s music is too synth-driven (e.g. track Starships) to be the unknown band. So I don’t think it is an unreleased track by Lone Star. It should be hopefully a true release, not a demo, because too good, long and polished to be a demo.

Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:13
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I used to have a full recording of every John Peel show from about 1973 to 1979, but they were thrown out by an ex-partner by mistake.
I definitely remember this but can't for the life of me remember who it is.
But I remember Flynn the Skin and all his other characters. I loved the way John Peel used to take the piss out of Fluff Freeman and Fluff used to go along with it. Two geniuses of rock radio,

Damn, your full recording would have sold the mystery! Do you remember the late John Peel broadcasting any other song by the same band? In other words, was March 19 your first and last contact with the band?  

Edited by Blaqua - September 14 2020 at 12:13
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 11:42
Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

Pretty sure it's not Lone Star.
 Post Reply Post Reply