2 [16.67%]
10 [83.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TFB vs. TTB
    Posted: February 07 2021 at 02:38
Originally posted by Theprogelitist Theprogelitist wrote:

I never understood the To The Bone hate.
So do I, it is a properly solid album. A gave it 4 stars in my recent review, from a few weeks ago.
Theprogelitist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theprogelitist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 02:26
I never understood the To The Bone hate. I guess it was just such a chock at the time, but listening to it three years later: it’s really quite good. Especially when you compare it to The Future Bites. That being said, TFB offers some nice moments. The high points for me are UNSELF, 12 THINGS I FORGOT, MAN OF THE PEOPLE and the choruses of PERSONAL SHOPPER. It’s aldo very Steven Wilson-esque to end off with a gentle track (COUNT OF UNEASE) and it works. FOLLOWER is the only song that offends me. It’s very sterile and rather dull. Maybe I should write a review...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 02:47
So I've listened to The Future Bites a few times and I'm quite enjoying it, it's a 3 to 3.5 star album for me and SW certainly doesn't deserve the abuse he's getting for it on FB. If you don't like the direction he's chosen, then move on. Artists change, they lose fans and gain new ones. Get over it.

Personally the hype around the album is slightly annoying, my FB page is full of ads for it and people don't get the campaign (complaining that £200 is too expensive for a loo roll).

I agree with Richard, I think Raven is his best solo album, but I would probably rank Storm Corrosion as the best thing he's been involved in - love that album! 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 02:36
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It's not an album to judge on one listen that's for sure. First listen I just hated it , second listen okay don't mind it. I think there is very little between both albums. Both have one great track (Detonation and Personal Shopper) which overshadow the rest. TFB is a bit more cohesive so I'll add a second vote for it but both are about '3 star albums' in my book. His first 4 albums were all near masterpieces with Raven the best album of the millennium imo. It's all a bit of a comedown but i still respect him for doing what he wants to do and not just pushing out 'product'.

I definitely agree that it’s not an album to judge on one listen. My initial reaction is extremely positive to the point of being hyperbolic. And I definitely came down on subsequent listens. And yet, it is still far above To The Bone for me, and while I am no longer willing to claim it’s likely to be my favourite album he’s done, it’s still right up there.

Personally. Raven is my least favourite SW album, and I barely listen to it. It was a huge letdown for me, after the first two awesome solo albums, and I’ve never quite understood why it is so highly regarded. Hand Cannot Erase probably remains my favourite SW album.

I would definitely agree, though, that both TTB and TFB have one great track that overshadows the rest, and I would agree with you on those tracks being Detonation and Personal Shopper.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 00:37
It's not an album to judge on one listen that's for sure. First listen I just hated it , second listen okay don't mind it. I think there is very little between both albums. Both have one great track (Detonation and Personal Shopper) which overshadow the rest. TFB is a bit more cohesive so I'll add a second vote for it but both are about '3 star albums' in my book. His first 4 albums were all near masterpieces with Raven the best album of the millennium imo. It's all a bit of a comedown but i still respect him for doing what he wants to do and not just pushing out 'product'.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 05:08
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I find it hard to believe that the guys from Ulver had never heard of Depeche Mode. 
I listened to their last album today, but DM never came to my mind. 

So which era or album of Duran Duran do you hear on TFB? 

“Heard”, not “heard of”. It’s an important distinction. I wouldn’t believe that Ulver had never heard of DM, but I can believe easily enough that they never heard them.

I also don’t really see the point in stating which DD I am reminded of, and regret mentioning the different eras, because it did almost invite the question you’ve asked.

My point was meant to be that I can understand you not hearing DD, but I can’t not hear it. It was meant to be a recognition of how we all hear different things in music, and that is why it becomes so personal, and why people can often react so apparently irrationally to music to the point of loving or hating something.

Given how reminiscent of DM I find AoJC, it really is quite amazing if Ulver were not familiar with the music from that band, but I don’t think it is unbelievable.

It’s sort of a case that there are only so many variations of sound, that it is inevitable that the odd musical coincidence occurs; and at the same time a case of listener bias, where we as listeners can’t help but impose a greater similarity than actually exists, and thus infer influence where there is none.

heard of and listened to is what i meant. But hey, maybe they didn't, only they know. 

Ok, I get your point. 

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 05:01

I find it hard to believe that the guys from Ulver had never heard of Depeche Mode. 

“Heard”, not “heard of”. It’s an important distinction. I wouldn’t believe that Ulver had never heard of DM, but I can believe easily enough that they never heard them.

I also don’t really see the point in stating which DD I am reminded of, and regret mentioning the different eras, because it did almost invite the question you’ve asked.

My point was meant to be that I can understand you not hearing DD, but I can’t not hear it. It was meant to be a recognition of how we all hear different things in music, and that is why it becomes so personal, and why people can often react so apparently irrationally to music to the point of loving or hating something.

Given how reminiscent of DM I find AoJC, it really is quite amazing if Ulver were not familiar with the music from that band, but I don’t think it is unbelievable.

It’s sort of a case that there are only so many variations of sound, that it is inevitable that the odd musical coincidence occurs; and at the same time a case of listener bias, where we as listeners can’t help but impose a greater similarity than actually exists, and thus infer influence where there is none.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 04:51

^ I don't hear Duran Duran on TFB. Confused
How familiar are you with their discography? Like Depeche Mode, since they have been mentioned, DD changed their sound quite considerably over the years. Ulver sound like only a certain era of Depeche Mode, and TFB like only a certain era of Duran Duran.

But, more importantly, what you hear and what I hear can be completely different. Again, to go back to Ulver, the band had never heard any Depeche Mode when they made the JC album. So all the people who heard the DM sound were only inferring an influence that was never actually there. We all infer similarities and comparisons to other artists, and often it is more “reminiscent of” than “sounds like”. Furthermore, it tends to be reflection of what we already appreciate.

So, I can completely believe and understand you not hearing Duran Duran, but I can’t not hear it.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 03:39

How familiar are you with their discography? Like Depeche Mode, since they have been mentioned, DD changed their sound quite considerably over the years. Ulver sound like only a certain era of Depeche Mode, and TFB like only a certain era of Duran Duran.

But, more importantly, what you hear and what I hear can be completely different. Again, to go back to Ulver, the band had never heard any Depeche Mode when they made the JC album. So all the people who heard the DM sound were only inferring an influence that was never actually there. We all infer similarities and comparisons to other artists, and often it is more “reminiscent of” than “sounds like”. Furthermore, it tends to be reflection of what we already appreciate.

So, I can completely believe and understand you not hearing Duran Duran, but I can’t not hear it.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 03:28
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 03:24
I honestly don’t really see any similarities between Ulver and TFB. I love Ulver, and own all their releases from Blake onwards. But the recent Ulver albums sound nothing like TFB.

Despite Garm saying that that he was surprised by all the comparisons to Depeche Mode after JC, and that none of the band had ever listened to DM, it is DM that Ulver sound like. TFB, on the other hand, sound like Duran Duran, if we must make comparisons.

I love Depeche Mode, but I love Duran Duran even more. So I guess I am already pre-disposed to enjoy TFB more than the recent Ulver albums.

But just as Depeche Mode do not sound like Duran Duran, nor does Ulver sound like TFB. It’s a lazy comparison at best, and doesn’t hold up at all in my opinion.

Edited by nick_h_nz - February 01 2021 at 03:25
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 03:16
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

This is one of my favorites from the latest Ulver record. Really dig the songwriting and the overall sound of the record. 
Very Depeche Mode-y.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:52

This is one of my favorites from the latest Ulver record. Really dig the songwriting and the overall sound of the record. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 01:41
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Wow! Just, wow! How do people not love this album? Ok,I get we all like different things. But still on only my first listen, and this is easily the best solo SW album yet! The first where, apart from one song, he’s dropped the formula, which is something I never expected to hear.

This is an absolutely fantastic album, and all the things I read were missing from it (guitar and prog) are most definitely there. The only song I could do without it 12 Things, which is a nice enough song - but it’s typical SW fare on an album that’s not otherwise, and it feels terribly out of place because of that.

It’s like a wonderful meshing of Duran Duran and Bowie, who both knew how to make progressive pop. The guitar slashes remind me of Bowie guitarists such as Belew and Gabrels.

It bewilders me that people can adore Ulver when they make this sort of music, and turn on SW when he does the same.

I’m definitely glad I made a point of not listening to anything from this album, until it was released, because it means it is all new for me.

This isn’t just going to be my favourite SW solo album, but one of my favourite of anything he’s been involved in.

Just, wow!

Ok, you can go back to hating him now. 😜

Ulver does synthpop a lot better than Steven Wilson. It's not about style, it's how it's executed. And the execution was terrible.
Thing is, I do not think he ever coined it as 'synthpop'. He referred to electronica and pop rock a lot but not necessarily synthpop. What's more, I do not consider any of the songs to be 'synthpop'. I cannot say anything on the comparisons with Ulver, simply because I have no idea who Ulver is/are. Smile

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - February 01 2021 at 01:42
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:51

Wow! Just, wow! How do people not love this album? Ok,I get we all like different things. But still on only my first listen, and this is easily the best solo SW album yet! The first where, apart from one song, he’s dropped the formula, which is something I never expected to hear.

This is an absolutely fantastic album, and all the things I read were missing from it (guitar and prog) are most definitely there. The only song I could do without it 12 Things, which is a nice enough song - but it’s typical SW fare on an album that’s not otherwise, and it feels terribly out of place because of that.

It’s like a wonderful meshing of Duran Duran and Bowie, who both knew how to make progressive pop. The guitar slashes remind me of Bowie guitarists such as Belew and Gabrels.

It bewilders me that people can adore Ulver when they make this sort of music, and turn on SW when he does the same.

I’m definitely glad I made a point of not listening to anything from this album, until it was released, because it means it is all new for me.

This isn’t just going to be my favourite SW solo album, but one of my favourite of anything he’s been involved in.

Just, wow!

Ok, you can go back to hating him now. 😜

Ulver does synthpop a lot better than Steven Wilson. It's not about style, it's how it's executed. And the execution was terrible.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:45
To the Bone by nine miles. The Future Bites is one of the worst albums I've ever listened to.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 19:09
While I do like it, the roll out and concept of TFB has been extremely offputting to me. On his instagram his most recent post is a billboard advertising his new album calling it: "The OK Computer of the Amazon Age." I'm sorry, but is he actively trying to get people to hate this album before it even hearing it? Cause that's how you do it.

Also the fact that this is an anti-consumerism album.... that was delayed nearly an entire year so he could press copies of the deluxe boxset and a sh*t ton of vinyl variants. Even the lyrics criticize this very thing yet he's still pushing his overpriced boxsets, the boxset even has a CD that's an hour of silence. I know it's meant to be tongue in cheek, but it comes off as extremely pretentious and smug, a blatantly poor attempt at humor.

Sadly, I still like the music more than To The Bone 

Edited by dougmcauliffe - January 31 2021 at 19:09
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 18:38

the new Wilson album already in a poll LOL Rather early, isn't it?

I haven't listened to it yet, I don't have the mood but once i do, I'll be able to express an opinion. Big smile
Yeah, give me a chance to listen to it first. My local record store didn't have it yesterday.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 08:50

I honestly wasn’t even expecting to like the album - let alone love it as much as I seem to. I’ve never been a big SW fanboy. But TFB really blew me away. I do get why it won’t be what a huge proportion of his fans want to hear, but I love this direction he has taken. Way more exciting/less boring than a lot of his standard fare, for me.

Undoubtedly he is a true progressive music artist, unlike some other men in the genre that seem to be in a state of musical stagnation. Thumbs Up
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 07:06
I honestly wasn’t even expecting to like the album - let alone love it as much as I seem to. I’ve never been a big SW fanboy. But TFB really blew me away. I do get why it won’t be what a huge proportion of his fans want to hear, but I love this direction he has taken. Way more exciting/less boring than a lot of his standard fare, for me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>