Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Rush's Worst Album Poll?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What is Rush's Worst Album Poll?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.76%]
1 [2.38%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.38%]
1 [2.38%]
5 [11.90%]
6 [14.29%]
10 [23.81%]
2 [4.76%]
4 [9.52%]
5 [11.90%]
1 [2.38%]
1 [2.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2024 at 12:36
Hold Your Fire Smile
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2024 at 13:28
Absolutely stunned that both Caress of Steel and Power Windows have received votes for "worst Rush album"! They're both in my "Top 5 BEST Rush albums".
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2024 at 14:57
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Absolutely stunned that both Caress of Steel and Power Windows have received votes for "worst Rush album"! They're both in my "Top 5 BEST Rush albums".

Agreed. Those two are among my favorites. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2024 at 15:03
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Love Power Windows, surprised someone voted or it. 

Caress of Steel is a great album. I don't know what's going on here. Confused
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2024 at 17:10
I don't get that, either. Power Windows is stupendous.
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2024 at 17:41
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I don't get that, either. Power Windows is stupendous.

Power Windows is quite good. It's with the next album, Hold Your Fire, where a significant glitch in the matrix appeared.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2024 at 01:09
Power Windows does get a bit 'ploddy' in places although Manhattan Project is amazing. Roll The Bones was the album that got me interested in Rush again but people are really beating on that one! 4 votes for Vapor Trails is maybe the surprise for me (that's in my Rush Top 5) but is that taking account of the supposedly pour mixing of the original release or just that the songs aren't so good? I voted Presto anyway, an album that does nothing and says nothing and screams 'we need a rest'!

Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2024 at 02:17
Same, I also love a lot Counterparts and Vapor Trails (their rawest album), surprised to see votes for them.(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'856cedb6cbbb03e2',t:'MTcwODE2MTM1NS42NjcwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: none; visibility: ;">
Snikle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2024 at 17:18
Originally posted by Big Sky Big Sky wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

As soon as Ayn Rand appeared, I was out the door (and I wasn't the only one...)

So, starting with 2112, the album that saved Rush and has gone 3x Platinum. You along with others may have been out the door, but there were far, far more coming in the door.

It would more likely be Fly By Night with "Anthem," would it not? Of course, Neil Peart luckily outgrew the Ayn Rand stuff after a few years.
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2024 at 01:20
Originally posted by Snikle Snikle wrote:

So, starting with 2112, the album that saved Rush and has gone 3x Platinum. You along with others may have been out the door, but there were far, far more coming in the door.

It would more likely be Fly By Night with "Anthem," would it not? Of course, Neil Peart luckily outgrew the Ayn Rand stuff after a few years.

I forgot about Anthem. So after the debut album then. Rand never bothered me. It seems that she gets many on the Left in a bit of a hissy, as well as some in religious quarters. I do understand where she is coming from ( That is not to say I agree with everything about her philosophy). After all she was born in Russia and moved to the US in 1926 when she was a young woman. She was aware of the results of Marxism and the tyranny of Lenin and Stalin. Soviet Collectivization and the Purges led to 10s of millions of deaths.

I'm sure the Great Leap Forward in China that started in the late 50s probably confirmed her views in her mind. Estimates are anywhere from 20-55 million Chinese died in a 4 year period. Of course you have the Cultural Revolution that starts in 1966 and proceeds to wipe out several more million.

Rand is certainly a product of her time and the events that took place in Russia and elsewhere had a big influence on her. She had very strong views, which to many left little room for debate. Some of her political views especially on abortion (supports) and homosexuality (thought it was immoral, but advocated repealing laws concerning it) invited controversy. She is a big believer in individual rights. She has influenced Libertarians, especially those on the right.

Anyway, it's about the music. Neil, Geddy and Alex, by all accounts are decent people.
Euclid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Euclid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2024 at 07:20
Snakes and Arrows
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2024 at 07:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Quote What is Rush's Worst Album Poll
worst album (rather than worst album poll)

The poll title reminds me of the Large Hadron Collider. Is this a hadron collider that is large, or a collider of large hadrons?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2024 at 17:18

Originally posted by Snikle Snikle wrote:

I forgot about Anthem. So after the debut album then. Rand never bothered me. It seems that she gets many on the Left in a bit of a hissy, as well as some in religious quarters. I do understand where she is coming from ( That is not to say I agree with everything about her philosophy). After all she was born in Russia and moved to the US in 1926 when she was a young woman. She was aware of the results of Marxism and the tyranny of Lenin and Stalin. Soviet Collectivization and the Purges led to 10s of millions of deaths.

I'm sure the Great Leap Forward in China that started in the late 50s probably confirmed her views in her mind. Estimates are anywhere from 20-55 million Chinese died in a 4 year period. Of course you have the Cultural Revolution that starts in 1966 and proceeds to wipe out several more million.

Rand is certainly a product of her time and the events that took place in Russia and elsewhere had a big influence on her. She had very strong views, which to many left little room for debate. Some of her political views especially on abortion (supports) and homosexuality (thought it was immoral, but advocated repealing laws concerning it) invited controversy. She is a big believer in individual rights. She has influenced Libertarians, especially those on the right.

Anyway, it's about the music. Neil, Geddy and Alex, by all accounts are decent people.

Rush definitely appealed to right wing thinkers. In those days I veered strongly towards the idea that freedom could be found in right of centre thinking while I felt that left wing ideology was about control and taking away personal liberty under the guise of the 'common good'. Rush's aloofness has always appealed to me. The lyrics are a commentary on life as much as anything. They were also fully paid up geeks who attracted totally harmless fans as far as I can tell. I don't think I've heard any stories of mass gun shootings inspired by someone who heard 2112 or those Rush shows where things got out of hand and everyone piled in. Ultimately you had to be reasonably intelligent and able to dissiminate what you are being presented with.We have a band's lyrics that are actually trying to make sense of the ever worrying trends in modern society allbeit from a right wing(ish) perspective.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 00:04
^Neil Peart has stated in interviews that he was interested in Rand's writings for a time, but was not very much aware of the political machinations that she helped influence. He had stated that he sort of outgrew her influence overall, despite still thinking her work is thought-provoking (which, I don't think anyone would seriously argue that it isn't, regardless of whether or not they agree with her fully).
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 19:09
None of them are truly bad, but there are a few contenders for worst album: their first is more typical hard rock than progressive, Caress of Steel shows great aspirations that do not always pan out, Roll the Bones is considered to straightforward but I enjoy it. My vote went to Counterparts. Every song on that album by itself is very good, but they all sound much the same and after only a few tunes the repitition sets in. Ying Yang

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12