Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat was the first Prog Album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282930
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 12:17
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Could someone post the entire discography of Family, song by song from you tube?
No, entire catalogue is not necessary; full album YouTube video of Family's debut from 1968 is quite enough to prove that ItCotCK is not  the first English prog album LOL

That's not prog rock, but psych rock..... but then you always get these things wrong anyway.
Wink
In the Court of the Crimson King is the best 60s prog album, but not  the first one. Sorry for that.
Oh and 21 Century Shizoid Man is a heavy psych song, not prog; I Talk To The Wind is a (great) pop song.
So, ItCotCK is not even a "full-blown" prog album.

I'm sorry but you are simply wrong on all accounts...but then I think you know that.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 12:21

Could someone post the entire discography of Family, song by song from you tube?
No, entire catalogue is not necessary; full album YouTube video of Family's debut from 1968 is quite enough to prove that ItCotCK is not  the first English prog album LOL

Thanks, I do not care.
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 12:26
Frank Zappa _ Freak Out
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 12:27

Thanks, I do not care.
LOL

Another one of those bands mis-categorized here at PA. They are not eclectic prog but psych rock pop on the first 2  albums and more like eclectic rock or quirky rock  on the later ones. Nothing proggy about their later ones at all...imho. 
Haquin
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 12:28

That's not prog rock, but psych rock..... but then you always get these things wrong anyway.
Wink
In the Court of the Crimson King is the best 60s prog album, but not  the first one. Sorry for that.
Oh and 21 Century Shizoid Man is a heavy psych song, not prog; I Talk To The Wind is a (great) pop song.

I'm sorry but you are simply wrong on all accounts...but then I think you know that.

Wink
As I said, ItCotCk is not a first prog album, especially not in 60s England.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 12:33
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Frank Zappa _ Freak Out
Clap
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 13:01
The biscuit has truly been taken. LOL
What?
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 13:09
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

C'mon give the guy a break, they've only just joined, misread the topic and just wanted to say something to introduce themselves... maybe a friendly 'Hi, welcome.. maybe you'd like to go the introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself ?' it sounds a lot more friendly to a newcomer!WinkSmile.. and yes, this topic has been well and truly fried to deathLOL
*shrug* All I did was copy a post I made in this thread some 4½ years ago because I noticed it contained a link were he (and anyone else) could post details of their first prog album. Personally, I'm not a gregarious person so it never occurs to me to want to suggest that people introduce themselves, but if that kind of thing appeals to you then perhaps you should have taken the initiative and asked that yourself instead of berating me for my inept attempt to be helpful and informative.

The floor is all yours... Smile

completely Fair enough.. personally I'm not that gregarious either but I was a newbie once and had a few terse and seemingly unfriendly comments to the first few posts I made and where I made them.. i'm not saying that what you said was in anyway terse or unfriendly- I wasn't even being that serious!- but I noticed that the comments I had came from 'long term members' (lifers?) and it made me wonder if new members are really welcome or not?? otherwise its just an 'old boys club' (perhaps that's what some would like, I don't know).. Of course you are absolutely right that I should have taken the initiative and asked myself.. and I have on many occasions. I would guess (from viewing regular correspondence of a number of long-time members) that many of us are of a comparative age so I perhaps I do understand that many of us (myself included)occasionally feel like grumpy old bears in our caves prodded by some youngster with a stick.. Anyway, my sincerest apologies all round for any offence caused.. and thanks but no thanks regarding the floor, i'm a rubbish public speaker and an even worse dancerLOL

And I agree whole-heartedly regarding Family 'Music in a Dolls house'.. The whole Psych/ proto prog/ first prog argument is only ever going to go in circles.. the 'classic' cornerstones of the genre(s) are pretty much mapped out and agreed by now, surely..

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 13:56

Wink

Wink
As I said, ItCotCk is not a first prog album, especially not in 60s England.

Well...you finally got something right in calling this prog...that Soft album certainly was proggy especially for '68. 
Haquin
RayRo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 13:59
Thirty pages? Perhaps one day they'll find a cure. Sheesh! LOL
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 14:28
Frank Zappa - Freak Out!, as already mentioned, unless we're talking about Prog as a particular style, but since there is no particular style, it would be an imaginary album that is a composite of all the characteristics of the British scene, but since that doesn't answer the question without evading the question, I'll stick with Freak Out!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 15:13
Probably yet to be released. ;)

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 21:05

"(...) In 1968, the band moved [from Leicester] to London to record Music In A Doll's House the album, produced by Jimmy Miller and Dave Mason. Except for one song by Mason, the album was fullfilled with compositions by the band members and it was a surprisingly successful start - what established themselfs as one of half a dozen of leading bands at the British progressive rock scene in the beginning.
Then Family were joined the London underground scene (the contemporaries are bands like Nice and Pink Floyd) where frantic aggressiveness of Chapman's performances increased their reputation as a concert attraction. Their former way of life was the subject of the novel "Groupie" by Jenny Fabian. (...)"

"(...) Already before their first real concert - April 9th, 1969, in London Speakeasy Club - it began to spread rumours of astounding sounds that are created in a cafe's basement. Friends [of the band] were drop by, listen and spread the news in the underground press.
The band was actually established and affirmed when they dealt a place in the program of The Rolling Stones' free concert in Hyde Park, July 5th. With their quite magnificent Mellotron usage and Classical influence in rock, King Crimson were shocked more than 650,000 of crowd.
Some months later, in October 1969, In the Court of the Crimson King the debut album was released, and it was received a wave of almost unanimous support. At the time, considered as a classic - Pete Townshend called the album "an uncanny masterpiece" in the press - the album established the band as the most fashionable at the moment, both in the UK and the USA, although it was not hold so good the judgment of time. (...)"

Both quotes are taken from The illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock (1976) by Nick Logan and Bob Woffinden, Salamander Books Limited, Salamander House, 27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N, United Kingdom

Edited by Svetonio - November 07 2015 at 02:53
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 21:26
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

completely Fair enough.. personally I'm not that gregarious either but I was a newbie once and had a few terse and seemingly unfriendly comments to the first few posts I made and where I made them.. i'm not saying that what you said was in anyway terse or unfriendly- I wasn't even being that serious!- but I noticed that the comments I had came from 'long term members' (lifers?) and it made me wonder if new members are really welcome or not?? otherwise its just an 'old boys club' (perhaps that's what some would like, I don't know)..

Could be, but I hate that and I'm one of the "old boys".   I know how it feels to be on the other end and it really kinda stinks.   Most here are more than willing to accept, welcome and even amuse new members (even Dean on a good day Tongue ) .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 21:28
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 22:20
You all have a fantastic memory, I can remember a few and most at the same time actually, no idea which I heard first. I was born after Gabriel left Genesis thus grew up listening to many great records already released long before that time from a lot of bands who are considered favourite bands by prog listeners.
I guess a fun memory must be Sgt Pepper, I confiscated that album for myself, it was mine and didn't want to give it back, I liked the drawings on the LP LOL I was 4 or 5 years old at the time.
I also remember that I wouldn't  believe anyone when they told me that the white album was the same band (they couldn't fool me, that's what I thought) Big smile 
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 22:47
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Probably yet to be released. ;)

We are still living in the pre-prog era. One day our Prog will come...
Magma America Great Make Again
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 11:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

LOL what a nice looking young man! Who'da thought eh??WinkLOL.. if you didn't see his name you could almost think he was the new keyboard player for..... (insert band name here!)Confused

Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 06:30
first prog albums I acquired through an LP swap at school were ;
QUEEN A Night at the Opera and Sheer Heart Attack
first prog album I purchased myself would have been Queen 2

or if you don't consider early Queen as prog then it would have been Real to Reel which I bought straight aftyer seeing Marillion at Hammersmith in December 1984, which was also my first proper gig.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 06:37
Oh dear I see I got a bit confused.
I thought is was a thread about what was the first prog album that you bought.  

DOH!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282930