Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreatest Pink Floyd Epic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: What is Pink Floyd's Greatest Epic?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [1.95%]
5 [3.25%]
1 [0.65%]
1 [0.65%]
10 [6.49%]
2 [1.30%]
63 [40.91%]
32 [20.78%]
7 [4.55%]
25 [16.23%]
2 [1.30%]
3 [1.95%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 17:46
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Echoes of course.
Whatever the question is, if Echoes features in the list that4s the one I go for. Smile
'

Even if the question is, "Worst song ever written?" or "Song most closely defining the rap/ hip-hop genre?"

Also, I voted for Dogs.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 18:38
Interestingly the chord structure for Echoes is very similar (nearly the same) as for Dogs. Or is ot the other way around?

Anyway, another admittedly trite observation. Pink Floyd had epics that were albums, not just excerpts. So TDSOTM, The Wall, Animals, Shine On (maybe the whole WYWH), and Echoes and AHM etc are all epics. In other words The Wall is an entity as much as Echoes. Or looked at another way is Money, Dogs, Shine On et al are excerpts taken out of context. Unlike Saucerful fo Secrets which has related but not linked pieces as the 73 -83 releases.

If you think the above is the Pig's male genitalia just try listening to A Collection Of Great Dance Songs. For an album of 100% great material it doesn't half suck. Cry

There, I'm off to check out the PF filmography.
guitargods2009 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 19:15
Echoes, but I perfer the Live At Pompeii version over the studio cut.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 19:25
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Interestingly the chord structure for Echoes is very similar (nearly the same) as for Dogs. Or is ot the other way around?

Anyway, another admittedly trite observation. Pink Floyd had epics that were albums, not just excerpts. So TDSOTM, The Wall, Animals, Shine On (maybe the whole WYWH), and Echoes and AHM etc are all epics. In other words The Wall is an entity as much as Echoes. Or looked at another way is Money, Dogs, Shine On et al are excerpts taken out of context. Unlike Saucerful fo Secrets which has related but not linked pieces as the 73 -83 releases.

If you think the above is the Pig's male genitalia just try listening to A Collection Of Great Dance Songs. For an album of 100% great material it doesn't half suck. Cry

There, I'm off to check out the PF filmography.

''Echoes'' isn't an album. It's a compilation that came out long after the Floyd was over. ''Meddle'', the album that the song ''Echoes'' comes from, came long before ''Animals'', so the similarities, if there are any, are indeed the other way around. ''Echoes'' came before ''Dogs''.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 19:26
Originally posted by guitargods2009 guitargods2009 wrote:

It's the same version, just shortened and with the middle portion taken out. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 20:21
[/QUOTE]

''Echoes'' isn't an album. It's a compilation that came out long after the Floyd was over. ''Meddle'', the album that the song ''Echoes'' comes from, came long before ''Animals'', so the similarities, if there are any, are indeed the other way around. ''Echoes'' came before ''Dogs''.
[/QUOTE]

I don't mean Echoes the compilation. I mean the classic piece featured on Meddle. Echoes (the piece) is not an album of course. It is a themed epic though. As is the Wall for example. Epics and themed pieces are not necessarily limited by format. Hope I'm a tad clearer there.Ouch Sorry for anymisunderstanding. Embarrassed

And yes, I know Echoes was before Dogs. LOL
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 20:50
Pink Floyd talk a bit about their new album Meddle, thought you guys might like this one....

Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 22:03
Echoes and then Dogs slightly after...
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 15:41
Great vid above ^. Rick wanting to do a big theatrical album surprised me; wasn't he fired during The Wall for being lazy?

More dancers on board and he may have contributed!

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 16:00
Yes, he was given the boot. Mind you as a wage salve at $11K per week he wasn't exactly complaining. Especially after the Wall shows lost his bandmates lodsa dough (15K per show each) then he came out ahead.

What was interesting was founding PF member asking new guy DG if he could play in PF. DG told him "I'll get back to you."
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 21:31
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Originally posted by guitargods2009 guitargods2009 wrote:

It's the same version, just shortened and with the middle portion taken out. 

No, it's not the same verion. The Live at Pompeii is a different recording than the one from Meddle (I even wonder if the Live at Pompeii may have been recorded before Meddle was released). And the Live at Pompeii version is, as far as I remember, complete, with the middle section and all, only that it is split in two (as Sine on You Crazy Diamond on the Wish you Were Here album); though I'm not really sure that it is split in all the releases of that video.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 22:00
I go with Shine On... I like better to think of it all as a 23 min epic, but if I have to choose, then it's the first half.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 22:27
was released um, 39 years ago this Hallowe'en. 31 ovt 71. Pompeii scenes were shot over 4 - 9 Oct 71. AFAIK Echoes is split in all versions of the video. There are several versions as well - owing to some footage being lost as it was edited and re-released a few times over 72 -74. Some nonsense about wanting to be up to date. DSOTM being released etc.

The most ridiculous tihng... Seamus not only being on Meddle but retitled and appearing as Mademoiselle Nobbs in the film. (Increased royalties,?giving the dog a bone?) It doesn't quite ruin such classic material but hardly enhances it either.

What would be nice is an official release of the Echoes / Crystal Voyager video. All that slow motion waves and water footage that was played live (the Floyd and the filmmakers made an exchange agreement) would be rather appealing.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 22:43
^ I don't find Mademoiselle Nobbs as puting down the Pompeii video, it's even somewhat enjoyable. And I think it's much less annoying than Seamus (perhaps because it doesn't include vocals). I love Live at Pompeii, with Mademoiselle Nobbs included. Strangely enough, I do feel Seamus puts down Meddle.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 22:55
If it was a movie thing alone it would be amusing and fun. But as it's both a studio release, a live release, as well as a ...er, instrumental..Confused  Seamus, the dog, should not have been on the album. IMHO. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 22:56
Still yet to vote... is the Saucer on here the Ummagumma version (worship) or the studio... (good idea...)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 23:33

If it was a movie thing alone it would be amusing and fun. But as it's both a studio release, a live release, as well as a ...er, instrumental..Confused  Seamus, the dog, should not have been on the album. IMHO. 
But it was the only opportunity to see a member of Humble Pie singing with Pink Floyd. Big smile
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 00:50
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

But it was the only opportunity to see a member of Humble Pie singing with Pink Floyd. Big smile

Yes, true. I understand this. SmileBut why oh why did he have to guest on the album?LOLTongue
Tongue
chrijom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 08:36
Greatest Pink Floyd epic - did they do one?  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234