Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: General discussions
Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122412
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 11:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Quotes, Proverbs etc.
Posted By: Shadowyzard
Subject: Favourite Quotes, Proverbs etc.
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 14:56
I considered creating this topic on the "Just for Fun" section, yet figured that we might get enlightened and might learn from each other.

I'll begin with a simple but wise one.

I know of only one rule: style cannot be too clear, too simple. – Jonathan Swift

Replies:
Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 17:48
The Earl of Sandwich: "Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox."

John Wilkes: "That will depend, my lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 17:55
I'm paraphrasing: "The first step on the road to wisdom is the recognition of one's own ignorance" (Plato/Socrates).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 19:00
Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great (Machiavelli)

But I don't know how to describe the modern rose, when I can't refer to her shape against her clothes
(Cruel by Paddy McAloon)

Satanism is every other religion apart from your own (from an FBI report in the wake of the 'Satanic Panic' of the 80s - author unknown)

Hell is other people (Jean Paul Sartre)

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 21:42
"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws."
--Charles Baudelaire (1821-1867) on Richard Wagner

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 09:51
"Is that so"........the story of Haquin

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 11:06
"Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine."

(Ar scawh a chxall-yah a wir-enn na dee-neh.)

Under the shelter of each other, people survive.

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:24
Some from my favourite quipstress, Dorothy Parker:

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone

“The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.”

“I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I'll bet I'd be darling at it.”

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 13:32
"Every time the Russians put an American in jail, WE put an American in jail to show the Russians they can't get away with it."
-Mort Sahl

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 17:04
"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true.'
Francis Bacon

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 17:33
Two from Winston Churchill:

Lady Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I should flavour your coffee with poison!

W.C.: Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it.

- AND -

Bessie Braddock, M.P.: Winston, you're drunk!

W.C.: Bessie, you're ugly. And tomorrow morning I shall be sober.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:27
Hi,

I'm not one for quotes ... but there are two (three actually since 2 are from the same) of them that I will always remember ...

1. Ernest Borgnine in "THE WILD BUNCH" saying ... (paraphrasing to prevent .... ) why don't you kiss my rosey ... 
2. Don Juan when Carlos showed him his thesis for UCLA .... "you know what Mexicans do with paper!"

3. Don Juan telling Carlos about the drugs ... "of course not, idiot, you didn't need them, but you were so difficult and always stuck to your brain, that we had to sidetrack you sometimes to get anything done!" (paraphrased)

A lot of the other bits and pieces that I like to quote, of all of them my favorite is from the play "MARAT/SADE" and some of the incredible and incendiary exchanges between the Marquis and Jean-Paul Marat.

Marat: I am the revolution!
Sade: No. You are just another idiot that thinks he can change the world! (slightly paraphrased!)
(later) ... interruption and the French this and that says ... "Mr. de Sade, I object. The patients are here for "therapy", not play!

(... the play is full of rich bits!)

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 01:20
Admittedly a very famous one that everyone knows but probably my favourite:

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 01:25
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Two from Winston Churchill:

Lady Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I should flavour your coffee with poison!

W.C.: Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it.

- AND -

Bessie Braddock, M.P.: Winston, you're drunk!

W.C.: Bessie, you're ugly. And tomorrow morning I shall be sober.

It would be great of Churchill was the originator but actually it appears that this kind of put down had been around for a long time.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/08/17/sober-tomorrow/" rel="nofollow - https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/08/17/sober-tomorrow/
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/08/17/sober-tomorrow/" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 05:10
Who was it that did your media training, Myra Hindley? It’s terrible! All these hands all over the place. You were like a sweaty octopus trying to unhook a bra. It was like watching John Leslie at work.

Terri, when I want your advice, I’ll give you the special signal. Which is me being sectioned under the Mental Health Act

I’d love to stop and chat to you but I’d rather have Type 2 diabetes

The guy is an epic f*ck-up. He’s so dense that light bends around him

(Malcolm F Tucker from BBC comedy sit com The Thick Of It)

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 05:20
If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly

There was a lot of pretense floating around; not just with aunties and all that but with emotions and how people saw you. They had a point. There's a lot to learn from that generation -- the stoic approach. I think it's disgusting how they've been forgotten about in this way. It's the American hippies' fault, they saw a $ in there, a way of making money out of bad moods. That's all it is most of the time. You can't expect to feel cock-a-hoop every minute of every day. My mam and dad's generation understood this. They were just thankful the bombs had stopped threatening their lives. They just wanted to get on with living

How long is long in a hellish place?

Nuking Russia might not be a bad idea as far as the bleedin’ world is concerned. They’ve plunged a lot of people into miserable lives. You’ve only got to be in East Germany to see it. It’s a horrible way to live. It’s like Doncaster

We’re living in a re-issue world, filching from the past like magpies with a Tardis.

They couldn’t understand that the left and right were never a threat anyway; that the worst thing is a sanitized society ruled by the middle class. The working class and the real upper class have a lot in common. They know where they’re from, they like a drink, have a sense of humour. It’s the middle you need to look out for.

the venerable wisdom of the late Mark E Smith of the Fall

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 09:07

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:05
"Um ein tadelloses Mitglied einer Schafherde sein zu können, muss man vor allem ein Schaf sein." (Albert Einstein). Translation: "In order to be an immaculate member of a flock of sheep, one must above all be a sheep oneself." I have to think of this one when I see videos of flat-earthers, evolution deniers or the likes.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 11:04
Cormac McCarthy's book "All the Pretty Horses" is full of excellent quotes.  Here is one:
“When I was in school I studied biology. I learned that in making their experiments scientists will take some group--bacteria, mice, people--and subject that group to certain conditions. They compare the results with a second group which has not been disturbed. This second group is called the control group. It is the control group which enables the scientist gauge the effect of his experiment. To judge the significance of what has occurred. In history there are no control groups. There is no one to tell us what might have been. We weep over the might have been, but there is no might have been. There never was. It is supposed to be true that those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it. I don't believe knowing can save us. What is constant in history is greed and foolishness and a love of blood and this is a thing that even God--who knows all that can be known--seems powerless to change."  

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 11:18
Here are a few more from "All the Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy:
“Every dumb thing I ever done in my life there was a decision I made before that got me into it. It was never the dumb thing. It was always some choice I'd made before it.”

“For me the world has always been more of a puppet show. But when one looks behind the curtain and traces the strings upward he finds they terminate in the hands of yet other puppets, themselves with their own strings which trace upward in turn, and so on. In my own life I saw these strings whose origins were endless enact the deaths of great men in violence and madness. Enact the ruin of a nation.”  

“Don't fear Death. Its only gonna help you die faster, its not gonna help you live."

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:19
Hi,

Fun one ... Mike Howlett in Eugene, during a tune up and sound check:

"Is it too bass'y?"

(precious ... totally precious!)

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:46
Here is another Einstein quote I love:

"„Wenn einer mit Vergnügen in Reih und Glied zu einer Musik marschieren kann, dann verachte ich ihn schon; er hat sein großes Gehirn nur aus Irrtum bekommen, da für ihn das Rückenmark schon völlig genügen würde. Diesen Schandfleck der Zivilisation sollte man so schnell wie möglich zum Verschwinden bringen.  Heldentum auf Kommando, sinnlose Gewalttat und die leidige Vaterländerei – wie glühend hasse ich sie, wie gemein und verächtlich erscheint mir der Krieg; ich möchte mich lieber in Stücke schlagen lassen, als mich an einem so elenden Tun beteiligen!  Töten im Krieg ist nach meiner Auffassung um nichts besser als gewöhnlicher Mord.“

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.”

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 13:09

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 14:48

We can also challenge some

"Aim for perfection, gain progression."

—Shadowyzard

Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 09:09
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

... (Robert Frost)

Hi,

There is/are different ways to arrive at poetry. Mine is all "visions" and has very little to do with "thought", unless you are trying to explain to yourself what all the words mean and how they proceed and continue to tell you something!

Not all "art" is that MENTAL, and some of it is very instinctive ... and you can best see it in someone like Miles Davis (see the special The Birth of Cool) ... and this is something that is mostly PRESENT in the 20th century, although conventional music, conventional writing, and conventional painting will NEVER allow or EVER admit that anything can be done that fast and that clearly!

The art of IMPROVISATION is not dependent on thought. It is dependent on YOUR ABILITY to see inside yourself FAST and react to what is in front of you "on stage" ... and this is a side thing that scares most musicians because they are so tied to the script that they can not see outside of it! It's easier in ACTING on a stage or film, and many actors take advantage of that and it shows ... but if you think that all of them have to see it in their heads first ... you will find that many don't even know about what they do until they see it ... ex: Jonathan Pryce in the special on Don Quixote ... "after this make up is on, and I start I don't know what I am doing ... " ... and he doesn't have to, because it is all about the stage being set and the words simply following and working the MOMENT! 

There are very few musicians that are not afraid of that moment! The best will use it and make it work and better.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 10:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

... (Robert Frost)

Hi,

There is/are different ways to arrive at poetry. Mine is all "visions" and has very little to do with "thought", unless you are trying to explain to yourself what all the words mean and how they proceed and continue to tell you something!

Not all "art" is that MENTAL, and some of it is very instinctive ... and you can best see it in someone like Miles Davis (see the special The Birth of Cool) ... and this is something that is mostly PRESENT in the 20th century, although conventional music, conventional writing, and conventional painting will NEVER allow or EVER admit that anything can be done that fast and that clearly!

The art of IMPROVISATION is not dependent on thought. It is dependent on YOUR ABILITY to see inside yourself FAST and react to what is in front of you "on stage" ... and this is a side thing that scares most musicians because they are so tied to the script that they can not see outside of it! It's easier in ACTING on a stage or film, and many actors take advantage of that and it shows ... but if you think that all of them have to see it in their heads first ... you will find that many don't even know about what they do until they see it ... ex: Jonathan Pryce in the special on Don Quixote ... "after this make up is on, and I start I don't know what I am doing ... " ... and he doesn't have to, because it is all about the stage being set and the words simply following and working the MOMENT! 

There are very few musicians that are not afraid of that moment! The best will use it and make it work and better.

Even an AI could write poems. I'm not an expert that can explain mental and emotional processes on how to write poems. Yet I can -nonexhaustively- say that your "visions" are also mental processes and are in a way related to thoughts. I also don't believe that instincts have anything to do with poetry, except that they affect our psyche, which is an indirect effect. I'm not defending the quotes I've put here, just sharing those I find plausible and impressive.

Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 14:26
'Badges....? ... we don't need no stinking badges...'

some well known Bogart film
;)

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 10 2020 at 09:44

Even an AI could write poems. I'm not an expert that can explain mental and emotional processes on how to write poems.
Hi,

There is no time for a "mental" or "emotional process" ...and this is what you do not see ... in my case, the "inner movie" takes place so fast that if you don't keep up with it, you easily lose half of it ... I have taught myself (through meditation) a strong "recall" type of thing that allows me to LATER see if I missed anything, but generally, even the "recall" is not the same as the original moment!

This is about a moment in time, and that moment will not repeat itself ... and you are stating that you have to have a mental, or emotional something or other for it to happen, and that is SIMPLY NOT TRUE and every book on visions and details about inner experiences will tell you that ... and assigning it to something that is related to a thinking/mental process, basically means, that you will ALWAYS DENY the existence of life in your inner sphere going as far back as the "soul" (for lack of a better word) and anything else.

This stubborn and stuck thinking that everything has to be Freud and Jung has got to stop ... that's getting old, and preventing you from learning far more ... you must think that all of the "traditions" of the "higher self" are all about a "mental/emotional" process and they aren't ... when IN FACT, what stops these from developing is exactly that ... you attempting to attach a mental or emotional process to it ... and you want to know what is worse? Sometimes, it's not even close and it's stupid!

I also don't believe that instincts have anything to do with poetry, except that they affect our psyche, which is an indirect effect. ...

Sadly, all this says is that you completely distrust the improvisational side of things in its most vibrant and important appearances. What affects me is if I take stock or not in them AFTER THE FACT, something that will INTIMIDATE your ability to learn more about it ... you have to teach yourself to be an "observer" in these things, if you are going to watch them develop .... you can't if you try to attach some kind of meaning or instinct to it, which might have nothing to do with it at all.

One last thing ... that is not on your equation of mental and emotional process ... some of these things might not even be from this time or place ... and trying to explain those is even worse. There is no meaning or emotional "direct link", and yet, there it is ... but you have to go way further and deeper in DREAMS and EMOTIONS to get anywhere near all this ... 

I wonder why we have taken this thought for thousands of years, that we are the masters of our mind/body/soul when we are just another particle in a bigger universe and their very own "life" for lack of a better word. It's like we're bigger than the rest of the universe ... including our thoughts!

I'm going back to The Goons and Monty Python ... more fun! Wink

PS: fun bit ... a "wyzard" or "wizard" would never be a shadow ... he/she would be the real thing! Wink

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 10 2020 at 10:27
Shadowy can mean full of shadows and mysterious. It is like a combination of "Shadowy Wizard". Smile

Your inner movie is created by a mental process, I think. It is not a controlled "vision", yet it is also through our inner power and abilities.

Thanks for your insights. Wink

Date Posted: March 10 2020 at 10:44

Shadowy can mean full of shadows and mysterious. It is like a combination of "Shadowy Wizard". Smile

Your inner movie is created by a mental process, I think. It is not a controlled "vision", yet it is also through our inner power and abilities.

Hi,

Incorrect. The visions themselves have nothing to do with a mental process. The first "line" of dreaming in your sleep is a sort of re-hashing of the daily events, but as soon as you get further into it, it is totally foreign, and I would almost suggest that these are the things that might ignite a "vision" or anything that resemble a "mental process".

You're leaving out a very important detail ... some visions will last 1.3 seconds ... how is your mental process or anything else gong to affect it? Your response is that it is a sort of conditioned response, except that the "vision" itself has nothing to link it with anything else whatsoever ... and so you know ... these get better and more fun when it starts involving other times and plains/spheres of existence, something that for most of us (even myself) is mostly "unknowable". Death being an example!

I do not proclaim any "inner power and abilities" ... I can only write what I see and what they mean to me, and I have learned to find some way of relating to them, however, its expression and way of "existing" is better suited to writing and poetry for me. And even doing this is not fair and sometimes hurts me for it ... why? I'm good at helping people with their inner side of things, but I am more interested in trying to help you determine/find this for yourself ... has nothing to do with me! You will NEVER learn or pick up a mental process or inner ability and power from me ... these come from you only, and how you can learn to define them and develop them ... if you do not develop them, they will disappear and get wasted!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: March 10 2020 at 10:47
2 Chinese proverbs:

1) before you start changing the world walk through your house thrice
2) if you sit long enough by a river the bodies of your enemies will drift by

both enhance the Chinese principle of wu-wei (acting by not-acting)

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: March 10 2020 at 11:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Incorrect. The visions themselves have nothing to do with a mental process. The first "line" of dreaming in your sleep is a sort of re-hashing of the daily events, but as soon as you get further into it, it is totally foreign, and I would almost suggest that these are the things that might ignite a "vision" or anything that resemble a "mental process".

You're leaving out a very important detail ... some visions will last 1.3 seconds ... how is your mental process or anything else gong to affect it? Your response is that it is a sort of conditioned response, except that the "vision" itself has nothing to link it with anything else whatsoever ... and so you know ... these get better and more fun when it starts involving other times and plains/spheres of existence, something that for most of us (even myself) is mostly "unknowable". Death being an example!

I do not proclaim any "inner power and abilities" ... I can only write what I see and what they mean to me, and I have learned to find some way of relating to them, however, its expression and way of "existing" is better suited to writing and poetry for me. And even doing this is not fair and sometimes hurts me for it ... why? I'm good at helping people with their inner side of things, but I am more interested in trying to help you determine/find this for yourself ... has nothing to do with me! You will NEVER learn or pick up a mental process or inner ability and power from me ... these come from you only, and how you can learn to define them and develop them ... if you do not develop them, they will disappear and get wasted!

What mental means is: related to the mind.

What Wikipedia says about mind is: The mind is the set of  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognition" rel="nofollow - cognitive  faculties including  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness" rel="nofollow - consciousness https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagination" rel="nofollow - imagination https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perception" rel="nofollow - perception https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought" rel="nofollow - thinking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgement" rel="nofollow - judgement https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language" rel="nofollow - language  and  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory" rel="nofollow - memory , which is housed in the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain" rel="nofollow - brain  (sometimes including the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_nervous_system" rel="nofollow - central nervous system ). It is usually defined as the faculty of an entity's thoughts and consciousness. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind#cite_note-3" rel="nofollow - [3]  It holds the power of imagination, recognition, and appreciation, and is responsible for processing feelings and emotions, resulting in attitudes and actions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind#cite_note-4" rel="nofollow - [4]

Date Posted: March 10 2020 at 14:11
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards........Soren Kierkgaard

Date Posted: March 10 2020 at 18:16

What Wikipedia says about mind is: The mind is the set of  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognition" rel="nofollow - cognitive  faculties including  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness" rel="nofollow - consciousness https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagination" rel="nofollow - imagination https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perception" rel="nofollow - perception https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought" rel="nofollow - thinking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgement" rel="nofollow - judgement https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language" rel="nofollow - language  and  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory" rel="nofollow - memory , which is housed in the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain" rel="nofollow - brain  (sometimes including the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_nervous_system" rel="nofollow - central nervous system ). It is usually defined as the faculty of an entity's thoughts and consciousness. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind#cite_note-3" rel="nofollow - [3]  It holds the power of imagination, recognition, and appreciation, and is responsible for processing feelings and emotions, resulting in attitudes and actions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind#cite_note-4" rel="nofollow - [4]

Hi,

So Wiki is your professor now ... quoting it as if I didn't know what I am saying and Wiki is better than me ... fine ... I am not into this to get followers ... so quoting me a 2nd rate idea of what the inner states and "mental" means is a dead end!

What it missing in these definitions and ideas is that these folks do not relate this to the amount of time that they happen ... a vision might be ONE SECOND long, and in that time you can not even start to add anything that you mentioned from Wiki!

You'll know what I mean one day ... Wiki knows nothing about inner landscapes and some of the folks that write in it, can only put together some sort of a Freudian shrimp or Jungian tuna!

It's too simplified to help you ... and at best it will confuse you ... but anyone writing this and telling you something is not going anywhere ... I'm fine with that ... I'm not into it to save the world or to tell everyone that they missed their bus ... but it is sad when you see the light and truth right in front of you but your only training is ... shown in a quote from Wiki ... not even your own words!

The river's water moves along ... to anywhere it can!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 06:45

Hi,

There is no such thing as a "controlled vision" as is told in stories in various occult novels and ideas and thoughts. Some folks, however, are better at "tuning in" and "staying there" than others, and they can facilitate others working through it, however to say that he/she has control in it, is a bit strange, since you have no idea what might or might not take place next or in the next several seconds ... you can only be "prepared" for what you know, and learn from "what you don't know" ... and this is the only thing that comes out in a lot of materials that are considered "occult" in the past 100 years, with terminology that you and I, TODAY, would consider incomplete and lacking in clarity.

The inner movie you are thinking about is the one that you start a story and then you think you can bring that story into your dreaming ... and 1) that is not likely to happen; 2) the chances of it continuing are small, although I have taken bits and pieces from "visions" and written a couple of plays from it -- they are merely a "re-telling" of what I saw, and the only thing that is "relative" to the start is the first 3 seconds ... the rest .... like every writer ... has a life of its own, and I like to let that life live ... it is exciting, new, and beautiful!

Folks think that you see "inner movies" simply because you experienced this and that ... and your ability is to manifest them in this manner ... with one issue ... most of them will get wasted and never even looked at, and ignored, which is worse ... the hardest thing to teach yourself is to NOT IGNORE any inner events or dismiss them to whatever antiquated ideas you prefer to choose!

And please ... stop using ideas about wizards and warlocks and magicians, that is still using some lingo that is hundreds of years old and does not come close to determining the real thing ... your idea is soooooooooo movie related, it is sad ... you actually believe them!Shocked

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 06:53
Ah, you're climbing mountains but imaginary ones. Good luck with that. Clap

Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 07:10

Ah, you're climbing mountains but imaginary ones. Good luck with that. Clap

Hi,

Don't have to ... these kinds of thoughts and ideas are comments wasted on folks that don't know the difference, and to make sure that you think they know something more than you do.

I don't have to climb "mountains" just to prove what I know and see inside. But if you want to climb a mountain only to find that anything up there is the same as anything down here -- except thinner air of course! -- go ahead ... enjoy yourself wasting time on parables that were ADDED to the new testament 1800 years ago, to make sure the word in those books was right and you didn't know anything or what it all meant.

C'mon ... stop throwing ideas around ... if you don't know or understand ... just ask ... the answer will tell you its own value, but if the best that person can di is give you a parable, that person is as spiritual as what ... not saying it ... you can believe all the fakes out there, and never know the difference!

For your information, you have no positive proof that anything I have experienced "inside" is not real, and does not belong in the world ... except your Freudian shrimps and Jungian tunas!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 07:20
Even after a conversation commences, your "beginning" all your posts with a "Hi" clearly shows that all your concern is self-justification. This shouldn't be that way, FYI.

I choose not to continue. Your pretentiousness and discourtesy is exceeding my tolerance limit. If I were in my 20s now, I'd argue to the max, but I figured long ago that ignoring is better.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 11:41
"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" (Bertrand Russell).

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand" (Bertrand Russell).

"The music consists in 2-3 humming refrigerators at the same time, plus a portative fan that turns back and forth to make the anyway inexistent rhythm, and finally a coming cluster of threatening killer bees!" (Greenback on Tangerine Dream's Zeit).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 13:42

Even after a conversation commences, your "beginning" all your posts with a "Hi" clearly shows that all your concern is self-justification. This shouldn't be that way, FYI.

I choose not to continue. Your pretentiousness and discourtesy is exceeding my tolerance limit. If I were in my 20s now, I'd argue to the max, but I figured long ago that ignoring is better.
Exactly, quotes not diatribes

Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 16:27

I guess, not just in the US.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 18:31
words of wisdom..  

Salvor Hardin - Never let your sence of morals prevent you from doing what is right

a very interesting life has been lived following that exact proverb...

and hand in hand with that..

David Bowie - Religion is for those that fear hell.. sprirituality is for those that have been there..

Beer

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 20:01

Hi,

Believe what you will ... this has been for many years, my way of saying HELLO to start each thread/reply.

It's more about me being polite than your idea, btw!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 20:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

"The music consists in 2-3 humming refrigerators at the same time, plus a portative fan that turns back and forth to make the anyway inexistent rhythm, and finally a coming cluster of threatening killer bees!" (Greenback on Tangerine Dream's Zeit).

Hi,

And in the case of POLAND, it's in the book, 2 or 3 HEATERS would have been nice but there wasn't enough electricity! Incredible story in EF's book!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 11 2020 at 20:46
The poet Robert Burns, to a critic he despised (1791) --

Dear Sir:

Thou eunuch of language; thou Englishman, who never was south the Tweed; thou servile echo of fashionable barbarisms; thou quack, vending the nostrums of empirical elocution; thou marriage-maker between vowels and consonants, on the Gretna-green of caprice; thou cobler, botching the flimsy socks of bombast oratory; thou blacksmith, hammering the rivets of absurdity; thou butcher, embruing thy hands in the bowels of orthography; thou arch-heretic in pronunciation; thou pitch-pipe of affected emphasis; thou carpenter, mortising the awkward joints of jarring sentences; thou squeaking dissonance of cadence; thou pimp of gender; thou Lyon Herald to silly etymology; thou antipode of grammar; thou executioner of construction; thou brood of the speech-distracting builders of the Tower of Babel; thou lingual confusion worse confounded; thou scape-gallows from the land of syntax; thou scavenger of mood and tense; thou murderous accoucheur of infant learning; thou ignis fatuus, misleading the steps of benighted ignorance; thou pickle-herring in the puppet-show of nonsense; thou faithful recorder of barbarous idiom; thou persecutor of syllabication; thou baleful meteor, foretelling and facilitating the rapid approach of Nox and Erebus.

R.B.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2020 at 07:55
CuG81U

I don't fully agree; this perception is embodying a certain truth, albeit to a certain extent, depending on the context. Anyhow I like such views, they are against the grain.

Date Posted: March 12 2020 at 09:40
^  'Crass'...? 
So was that Roman guy the origin of the word?

;)

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 12 2020 at 09:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^  'Crass'...? 
So was that Roman guy the origin of the word?

;)

LOL

Date Posted: March 26 2020 at 17:14
EYmtqP

"There's no clue without a tree."

-Sir Isaac Newton-

Date Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:29

My soul's intelligence & mind's wits infer that synchronicity is a good word to explain such shadowy phenomena; as there's a good chance that all those/these mysterious occurrences might be time-related. My inference is not either exhaustive or conclusive, nor is it preclusive. I'm prone and generally open to deem differing conclusions reasonable too, so long as they make sense.

Date Posted: April 15 2020 at 15:37
The one under my avatar is one ofmy favorites....
'One does nothing yet nothing is left undone'  by Haquin, zen master

And one of my all time favorites by a writer who died some years ago...R A Wilson:
"If you think you know what's going on, you are probably full of sh*t."

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: April 15 2020 at 17:14
A little excerpt from Robert Anton Wilson's novel "Masks of the Illuminati". This story is told by Aleister Crowley, one of the four main protagonists of the novel; the other three are Albert Einstein, James Joyce and Sir John Babcock (the only fictional character in this quartet).

”There were these two men, sharing a railway carriage. They didn’t know each other. They just happened to be travelling together. One of the men had, resting in his lap, a cardboard box with holes punched in the top. After some time spent contemplating what might be inside his travelling companion’s box, the other man at last could not contain his curiosity. He said, “Excuse me, but I couldn’t help noticing your box. Does it contain some variety of animal?” The other man, though obviously surprised by this impertinent intrusion from a stranger, smiled politely as he answered, “You’re absolutely right. There is indeed a creature kept inside this box. And furthermore, I may reveal, the animal in question is a mongoose.”

The first man, who’d initiated the enquiry, was astonished by this revelation. Spluttering with surprise, he sought some further explanation of this certainly provocative disclosure made by his strange fellow-traveller. “A mongoose? Sir I must confess I had expected it to be perhaps a cat, or rabbit, not a creature so exotic and outlandish. The animal you mention so excites my curiosity that I must beg you, sir, to tell me more. Where are you bound with such a specimen, if I may be so bold?” The other man, who sat with the perforated box on his lap, shrugged wearily as he replied, “Well, it’s something of a personal matter, as it concerns a family tragedy. However, since I’m confident I may rely on your discretion, I suppose I don’t mind sharing my unfortunate account with you.”

“You see,” the man went on, “this sorry tale concerns my elder brother. He’s always been what I suppose you might refer to as the black sheep of the family. He has for many years indulged himself in a predictable and commonplace array of vices, of which the worst is his fondness for strong spirits. His drinking has progressed until he is now in the final stages of delerium tremens. My brother now sees serpents everywhere, which is the reason I am taking him this mongoose, that he may be rid of them.”

“Excuse me,” the other man interjected, looking puzzled, “But, these snakes your brother sees… aren’t they imaginary snakes?”

“Indeed,” his fellow traveller replied. “But this,” and here he gestured meaningfully to the perforated box set on his lap, “is an imaginary mongoose.”

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2020 at 17:46
Two quotes that serve to bring clarity to our current political mess:

"At some point we all sit down to a banquet of consequences". -- Robert Louis Stevenson

“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is”. – Winston Churchill

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2020 at 21:26
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

A little excerpt from Robert Anton Wilson's novel "Masks of the Illuminati". This story is told by Aleister Crowley, one of the four main protagonists of the novel; the other three are Albert Einstein, James Joyce and Sir John Babcock (the only fictional character in this quartet).

”There were these two men, sharing a railway carriage. They didn’t know each other. They just happened to be travelling together. One of the men had, resting in his lap, a cardboard box with holes punched in the top. After some time spent contemplating what might be inside his travelling companion’s box, the other man at last could not contain his curiosity. He said, “Excuse me, but I couldn’t help noticing your box. Does it contain some variety of animal?” The other man, though obviously surprised by this impertinent intrusion from a stranger, smiled politely as he answered, “You’re absolutely right. There is indeed a creature kept inside this box. And furthermore, I may reveal, the animal in question is a mongoose.”

The first man, who’d initiated the enquiry, was astonished by this revelation. Spluttering with surprise, he sought some further explanation of this certainly provocative disclosure made by his strange fellow-traveller. “A mongoose? Sir I must confess I had expected it to be perhaps a cat, or rabbit, not a creature so exotic and outlandish. The animal you mention so excites my curiosity that I must beg you, sir, to tell me more. Where are you bound with such a specimen, if I may be so bold?” The other man, who sat with the perforated box on his lap, shrugged wearily as he replied, “Well, it’s something of a personal matter, as it concerns a family tragedy. However, since I’m confident I may rely on your discretion, I suppose I don’t mind sharing my unfortunate account with you.”

“You see,” the man went on, “this sorry tale concerns my elder brother. He’s always been what I suppose you might refer to as the black sheep of the family. He has for many years indulged himself in a predictable and commonplace array of vices, of which the worst is his fondness for strong spirits. His drinking has progressed until he is now in the final stages of delerium tremens. My brother now sees serpents everywhere, which is the reason I am taking him this mongoose, that he may be rid of them.”

“Excuse me,” the other man interjected, looking puzzled, “But, these snakes your brother sees… aren’t they imaginary snakes?”

“Indeed,” his fellow traveller replied. “But this,” and here he gestured meaningfully to the perforated box set on his lap, “is an imaginary mongoose.”

I read the Illuminatus Trilogy and Masks many years ago....he is one of my favorite writers from the old days. I also enjoyed the Schrodingers Cat trilogy. I also read Cosmic Trigger series and many of his other non fiction books. A very funny and smart man....who called himself a guerilla ontologist in his book The Illuminati Papers.
Cool

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 16 2020 at 10:09
« quand je me regarde je m’inquiète, quand je me compare, je me rassure »."When I look at myself I worry, when I compare myself, I feel reassured." 

Talleyrand 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: April 16 2020 at 10:35
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. EINSTEIN 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: April 16 2020 at 11:09
Falsehood flies and the truth comes limping after it (Jonathan Swift)

I'm not a man trapped in a woman's body. I'm a brain trapped in a human body (Genesis P. Orridge)

I believe in luck. How else can you explain the success of those you don’t like? (Jean Cocteau)

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter (Winston Churchill)

A handful of Afghans dying could make the front pages, but only if they were strangled one by one by Beyoncé as the half-time entertainment at the Super Bowl. (Frankie Boyle)

You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred (Woody Allen)

Being a monarchist – saying that one small group is born more worthy of respect than another – is just as warped and strange as being a racist. Yet no musician would dream of playing a benefit concert for the BNP. (Julie Burchill)

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2020 at 10:38
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The one under my avatar is one ofmy favorites....
'One does nothing yet nothing is left undone'  by Haquin, zen master

And one of my all time favorites by a writer who died some years ago...R A Wilson:
"If you think you know what's going on, you are probably full of sh*t."
"Is that so"....................the quote "One does nothing yet nothing is left undone" is actually from Chapter 38 of the Tao Te Ching

Date Posted: April 21 2020 at 14:03
The story of Haquin...................A beautiful girl in the village was pregnant. Her angry parents demanded to know who was the father. At first resistant to confess, the anxious and embarrassed girl finally pointed to Hakuin, the Zen master whom everyone previously revered for living such a pure life. When the outraged parents confronted Hakuin with their daughter's accusation, he simply replied "Is that so?"

When the child was born, the parents brought it to the Hakuin, who now was viewed as a pariah by the whole village. They demanded that he take care of the child since it was his responsibility. "Is that so?" Hakuin said calmly as he accepted the child. 

For many months he took very good care of the child until the daughter could no longer withstand the lie she had told. She confessed that the real father was a young man in the village whom she had tried to protect. The parents immediately went to Hakuin to see if he would return the baby. With profuse apologies they explained what had happened. "Is that so?" Hakuin said as he handed them the child. 

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: April 21 2020 at 15:06
Instead of something clever and learned I thought id record a couple of my late mothers sayings.. I don't think they were original but they made their point..

''The things you see when you haven't got your gun''

''You make a great door but a rubbish window'' (when standing in the way of the tv etc)

''if it was a bear it would have bitten you'' (when looking for something obvious)

Ahh.. the wisdom of old dears ;)

-------------

Date Posted: April 21 2020 at 16:33
"It is always hard to remember what you are trying to forget" - D Day veteran in a recent documentary 

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: April 21 2020 at 16:46
This falls under the heading of "etc."

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 18:34
https://ibb.co/x3V9K9n" rel="nofollow">

I saw (heard, of course) this quote in a Canadian series entitled Dark Oracle, supposedly aimed at teens and young adults. (I loved it, anyway.) I made this image myself, for my Facebook cover, years ago. 

Simple but effective "words of wisdom", methinks.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 19:23
So it appears I'm not the only person in the whole world who remembers that show! It was aired in Poland with a horrible dub but I used to watch it anyway. The wole mystery of the "ankh" thing was pretty cool.

As for my favorite quote and stuff it would be:
"Out of chaos comes music" - Roine Stolt.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 19:26
Wow, really surprised that someone else knows Dark Oracle here; considering its popularity(!) on IMDB.

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 15:28
Religion is what one does with his or her solitude. https://twitter.com/philosophy_muse/status/1298336520072564737" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/philosophy_muse/status/1298336520072564737
Awesome saying!

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 15:36
Always ... or is it never? ... no, I think it is always.   Always ... oh, forget it ...

Date Posted: September 08 2020 at 15:47
I do not know any way so sure of making others happy as of being so oneself, to begin with. ∿ Sir Arthur Helps

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: September 16 2020 at 11:19
An autopsy has revealed that the death was caused by an autopsy 

One of the first Russian one-liners that comes to mind. 

-------------
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 01:41
OIP

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 02:10
My quote is: 

Never leave the house without clean underwear on...because you never know if you end up in A&E 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Spaciousmind
Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 06:21
Common sense is like deodorant. The people who need it most never use it.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 07:53

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: February 01 2021 at 09:09
x1

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 01 2021 at 09:36
"in der Nacht sind alle Katzen grau" ("by night all cats are gray"). this German proverb is descriptive of the fact that differences in appearance are difficult to recognize when it is dark. example: "my new girlfriend is definitely no supermodel, but who cares? by night all cats are gray"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: February 01 2021 at 11:23
"Religion is the cancer of the asses"
-Anonymous

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Date Posted: February 22 2021 at 17:13
Can we quote ourselves?

"Nothing is 'ahead of its time'; it is just, cultural evolution is steady and slow."
                                                                                                    — Shadowyzard

Date Posted: February 22 2021 at 17:31

Can we quote ourselves?

"Nothing is 'ahead of its time'; it is just, cultural evolution is steady and slow."
                                                                                                    — Shadowyzard

If we can quote ourselves I will say this: "I am not a pervert, you are sexually boring".

-------------

Posted By: Erenan
Date Posted: February 22 2021 at 23:23
"this ain't dodge city
and you ain't bill hickok"

-------------
https://lukesimpsonmusic.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: SolNiger
Date Posted: February 26 2021 at 04:32

Every form you see has its archetype in the divine world, beyond space; if the form perishes, what matter is that, since its heavenly model is indestructible? Every beautiful form you have seen, every meaningful word you have heard—be not sorrowful that all this must be lost; for it is not really so. The divine Source is immortal, and its spring gives water unceasingly; since neither the one nor the other can be stopped, wherefore do you lament? From the first moment when you entered this world of existence, a ladder has been set up before you.

Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī

Date Posted: March 08 2021 at 13:40
This one is probably my favourite proverb of our culture. It has a universal appeal and validity too, I think. (Think it like a narration of an event in the past tense. Its Turkish is like that.)

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: March 08 2021 at 14:11
Keith Richards:- "Some doctor told me I had six months to live and I went to his funeral."

George Best:- "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Date Posted: March 12 2021 at 15:08
Time and tide wait for no man.  Geoffrey Chaucer

For those that want details on or related to this saying:  http://random-idea-english.blogspot.com/2014/02/random-thoughts-on-time-and-tide-wait.html" rel="nofollow - http://random-idea-english.blogspot.com/2014/02/random-thoughts-on-time-and-tide-wait.html

Date Posted: March 16 2021 at 12:46
Child and old are always the wisest.
                — Rhaugilath the Ageless

Date Posted: April 05 2021 at 15:11
The verse I've just finished writing. I assure you that it is completely original. I wasn't influenced by any Eurorhymes, nor was I in weed dreams while creating my unprecedentedly original and serious masterpiece.

Swift grins of made-up cheese;
Hoo, am I to, to suck grease?
Ravelled the world up, heaven sees;
A free buddy is cooking for some king.
— Random Riellor

Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 06:02
"Loneliness expresses the pain of being alone and solitude expresses the glory of being alone." - Tillich

Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 06:05
"Doubt is not the opposite of faith; it is one element of faith." - Tillich

Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 06:06
"Decision is a risk rooted in the courage of being free." - Tillich

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 07:47
 "As the philosopher Jagger once said,  You can always get what you want..."  Greg House 

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 07:59
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: July 21 2021 at 06:26

Posted By: gCairns
Date Posted: July 21 2021 at 09:02
Learning never exhausts the mind. 

Date Posted: July 21 2021 at 09:11
Inspired by the one above:

Exhaustive knowledge is exhausting, or at least boring... — Shadowyzard

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: July 21 2021 at 10:42
Almost anything by Terry Pratchett, some examples below:

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying ‘End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH’, the paint wouldn’t even have time to dry.”

“If cats looked like frogs we’d realize what nasty, cruel little b*****ds they are. Style. That’s what people remember.”

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”

and of course..

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: July 21 2021 at 16:24
Almost anything by the musical conductor Sir Thomas Beecham, whose wit and sayings were priceless, compiled in the book, "Beecham Stories".

My favorite Beecham quote-Conductor Sir Malcom Sargent was touring the Middle East, and was detained for a bit; he called up Sir Thomas and told him, "I was touring the Middle East doing concerts and was detained for a bit, but then finally released."  Beecham replied, "Released?! Did they hear you play?"LOL

Date Posted: July 28 2021 at 10:00
LKF

Date Posted: July 28 2021 at 10:50

Date Posted: July 28 2021 at 11:01

Date Posted: October 12 2021 at 11:15
"Bacteria and cancers are teaching us the same lesson that we are learning in other aspects of our relationship with nature: namely, that life resists reductionist approaches and bounces back with complex behaviours that thwart our optimistic strategies to dominate it." For the full essay, visit here: https://aeon.co/essays/the-future-is-nano-and-it-will-revolutionise-medical-science" rel="nofollow - https://aeon.co/essays/the-future-is-nano-and-it-will-revolutionise-medical-science

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: October 12 2021 at 11:43
A few good ones from Soren Kierkegaard:

"Once you label me you negate me."

"Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced."

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

-------------
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk