Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123815
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 03:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Quality vs Quantity
Posted By: Argo2112
Subject: Quality vs Quantity
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 11:11
 I was looking at the 10 Ten Progressive Band thread going around now. 
 When I was trying to make my selection and figure out what order to put them 
 in I realized I had to balance out bands that had a lot of very good, but not necessarily great material vs 
 bands may have fewer songs I like , but the ones I like are outstanding.

So where do you fall on the Quality vs Quantity discussion?

Replies:
Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 11:21
I'd say a certain minimum quantity is required to qualify. Talk Talk are in my personal big 6. They have five albums of which I don't like the first one a lot, and the second one is pretty good but not at top level. Numbers 3, 4, 5 are in my top, dunno, 50? albums of all time, and that's good enough. Based on two stellar albums I wouldn't allow a band in. (On the other hand, Art Zoyd, another one of my heroes, have a catalogue that is bigger than that of all original RIO bands combined, which I also count in their favour.)

Ultimately I'd compare bands on their best 3-5 albums, with an added bonus if bands have more than 5 at that level. So-so material on top of that wouldn't influence my decision in either direction.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 11:29
Ideally, I'm looking for both Quantity AND Quality, and my Top 10 prog bands have all recorded at least 10 albums each, and with the exception of Mostly Autumn, they've all been around for fifty years or more, so I'm looking for Longevity too. Smile

1. Renaissance
2. Camel
3. Pink Floyd
4. Yes
5. Santana
6. Mostly Autumn
7. The Moody Blues
8. Barclay James Harvest
9. Genesis
10. Caravan

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 11:36
Depends on the band, you look at Magma or Tangerine Dream and they have many albums of good to great quality but also some lesser albums. Whereas Henry Cow essentially have 4 studio albums and Hatfield and The North have two but those 6 are of such brilliance they can't be ignored. However I would have trouble picking a band with only one release however spectacular.

I say go with your gut, if it feels like they are great to you then that's what they are, don't apply arbitrary rules about number of releases.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 12:03
^A band with only one spectacular release? First UK album. Sure UK continued without Holdsworth and Bruford but weren't the same. Nova Collective, a project with players from other bands, did a one off album that is killer.

So for me, quality over quantity.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 12:14
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

A band with only one spectacular release?

Dün - Eros
Hermann Szobel - Szobel

are two that come to mind.

EDIT:

All Traps On Earth - A Drop Of Light
Lost Crowns - Every Night Something Happens

are another two that come to mind.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 12:26
I have both my top album and top bands, but they are not always the same. Don't get too caught up in lists and ratings, though, yours or those of others. The important thing is that you enjoy the music, and that you define what 'enjoyment' means to you. For some it is music that is intellectually stimulating to them, while to others it is the emotional charge they feel from listening. Use ratings and reviews as guides only - you do not have to like or dislike anything simply because of others.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 12:30
This is why I like Zappa. For the few recordings or albums of his I can't really get behind, there's a treasure trove more that I do enjoy, many of which were released after his death. Plus he's an interesting character and much of his stuff grew on me. I'm sure eventually there will be very little of his that I don't enjoy.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 12:58
You need quantity and consistent quality.

So my top 10 bands (prog and non-prog*)

1) Camel
2) Runrig*
3) IQ
4) Horslips
5) Mostly Autumn
6) Wolfstone*
7 Strawbs
8) Marillion
9) Genesis
10) Riverside

As you can see, I'm a huge fan of Celtic Rock!

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 13:02
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Quality is in the eye, err ear, of the beholder. My quality may be someone else trash so I don't have a problem with quantity. 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 13:19

^A band with only one spectacular release? First UK album. Sure UK continued without Holdsworth and Bruford but weren't the same. Nova Collective, a project with players from other bands, did a one off album that is killer. 

So for me, quality over quantity.

My point was only one release however spectacular not more than one release of which one is spectacular, I'm thinking more of Weidorje, Dun, Hermann Szobel and the like. I personally wouldn't consider any of those for a top 10 best of all time list on the basis of only releasing one album.

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

A band with only one spectacular release?

Dün - Eros
Hermann Szobel - Szobel

are two that come to mind.

EDIT:

All Traps On Earth - A Drop Of Light
Lost Crowns - Every Night Something Happens

are another two that come to mind.

All Traps On Earth & Lost Crowns are likely to release follow up albums so don't really count. Dun & Szobel are great examples as would be Weidorje. 

-------------
Ian

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 16:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Depends on the band, you look at Magma or Tangerine Dream and they have many albums of good to great quality but also some lesser albums. Whereas Henry Cow essentially have 4 studio albums and Hatfield and The North have two but those 6 are of such brilliance they can't be ignored. However I would have trouble picking a band with only one release however spectacular.

I say go with your gut, if it feels like they are great to you then that's what they are, don't apply arbitrary rules about number of releases.

Anglagard is another one that comes to mind. 

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 17:05
Quality. Quantity makes things extra great, but look at all the greatest Italian prog bands and compare how many of them only put out one or two albums (often only one during their original heyday) to how many managed to stick around long enough to assemble something of a full catalogue. 

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 17:21
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

You need quantity and consistent quality.

Yeah...this is where I am as well. 

As much as love, say Hatfield & The North's two albums, I would never put them in my top 10 bands, just because there are other bands that produced similar ranked material, just more of it. More of high quality will always be ranked higher than less of high quality in my mind. 

I also feel I must count a band's entire discography, so if they have say 3 great albums out of 12, they will rank much lower overall, even if I love those three albums dearly. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 17:38
When a band has been around for a long time, is quite obvious that they will have an extensive catalog. That also implies that some albums will have a better quality music than others, you can see that not only in the prog universe, but in other genres also. Historically, most bands reach a certain era of high creativity and inventiveness, and then they tend to go into a hit or miss period. That does not mean the music will not be good, but it will not match their high quality period.

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 17:43
I think that the more albums a band/artist has, it's a better chance that there will be less quality (depending on the band, but you have to be really damn good to have consistently decent albums one after the other) with each given album.

If you're a band who only has 1 or 2 albums, and they're bangers, then they have left on a high. Kind of like a TV show that knows when to stop at season 3 or 4.

But then again, if there are even a few songs from a mountain of sub-par material that are exceptionally good, that elevates a band for me. 

So long story short...I don't know.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 20:07
First quality, of course, and then quantity too.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 21:35
I fall more on the quantity side. Often large discographies have a quality trajectory of their own - different phases of development that make them interesting to study. Maybe there are a few misfires in there, but if they’re all pieces that fit together and make a cool whole, that has value for me. Of course some level of quality/consistency is required, but overall I respect bands more that can build a rich and interesting legacy than those who put out 1-2 great albums and then disappear.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 17 2020 at 22:57
I look for quality first. Consistency is so way overrated especially around here! Camel were probably the least inspired prog band of the seventies for me and would never make my top ten even though Mirage and the Snow Goose are undoubtedly great albums. I do like bands that take a chance and don't just peddle a 'sound'. Admittedly some bands I love were incredibly consistent but they had exceptional releases and also made some attempt to change. Rush are a great case , over a number of years they produced exceptional albums but managed consistency. I feel like I'm waffling a bit now though. I do love Big Big Train and they are probably the most consistent band of all time. When you analyse these things it just falls apart lol. 

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 18 2020 at 00:30
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Quality is in the eye, err ear, of the beholder. My quality may be someone else trash so I don't have a problem with quantity. 

Interesting! My mind almost always defaults to "If there's a lot of it, most of it probably sucks", lol.

Quality for me all the way. U.K. is the perfect example to me; they only needed that one killer record, and it's one of my favorites of any artist in progressive rock - and you never hear about them.

Contrast with some of the bands on here with 15+ albums, where the pattern is the first four usually have their high points, a bunch of mid-tier rankings, a few 2+s, etc.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: August 18 2020 at 01:01
I find that quantity can make a difference in a negative sense as well. I chose not to include Yes in my top 10 list, because while I think they have some spectacular albums to their name, I'd also say that about half of their large discography is worthless, and I just cannot think of them as a favourite band of mine for that reason. Likewise, some Zappa albums are absolutely magnificent and hugely influential on my own musical adventures, but the sheer amount of crap that his library is saturated with in addition to those (some of which I find to be absolutely repugnant and offputting) usually makes me think twice about including him among my favourites as well.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 18 2020 at 03:54
Definitely quality over quantity but then I'm a Kate Bush fan so I'm used to waiting 10 years for quality music. I'd rather have that than a higher number of second rate albums.

There is a guy whose name I forget but when I look at the new releases thread he seems to release 6-10 albums a month - I can't believe these are all good (but then I can't believe anyone could even listen to all of them).

EDIT - it's Phrozenlight - something like 30 new release so far in 2020.

Posted By: Gully Foyle
Date Posted: August 18 2020 at 13:45
Something much more recent, and looking like a one-off that I think is brilliant, is How Much Are You Willing To Forget? by Flicker.  

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 18 2020 at 16:08
Hi,

Both terms, quality and quantity, imply that the listener is the composer and the visionary that creates the music.

This is NOT TRUE ... if you see the clouds and the sky and represent that musically, no one would know or understand what is quality or quantity ... after all three minutes out of the rest of the day, does not exactly show some "quality" where as several hours would certainly qualify as "quantity", even though that's like saying there is nothing else happening during that time ... which suggests one is not listening anyway ... and simply not composing something "real" ... just an imaginary scene.

This is the hard part of a lot of the "modern art" ... how do you tell Picasso that in Guernica there is too much cutting? How do you tell Miro that two lines is one too many? And I personally feel that at that point the appreciation for the work falls apart ... 

It is the same thing for a lot of writers ... when do you say that Melville stops being quality and begins being just quantity? When do you say that Crime and Punishment in Progressive Music is way too much or too little in the threads at PA?

Progressive Music, even though some insist is just pop music ... has to be regarded better and taken a bit more seriously than the "songs" that too many folks here look at ... not to mention the "formats" that are consistently repeated, not to mention the bad drumming, and the lead guitar going on top LOUD in exactly the same spot on the song ... that is not representative of "progressive music" when it first started out ....

I refuse to use the term ... you and I have no way possible to state, that Tchaikovsky's description of the scenery in his mind is not right or too long, and its quality suffers ... likewise I will NEVER state that CTTE of ECHOES is too long and that its quality suffers.

I wish we gave the artists more respect and appreciation ... it is the one thing that will kill progressive music faster ... and this fan "control" that the artist is his pet cat and/or dog to do his bidding is a bit sickening in my estimation ... and I wish we could separate this a bit better ... the artistic qualities and designs of a lot of the music we love are very important ... but we decide for the musicians what they should do?

There was a team owner in a League ... upset with the fan's comments on their loss ... and he said the right thing ... GO GET YOUR OWN TEAM! ... and then be brave and man enough to put up with the sick comments! Many of these things we love, people put their heart and blood into it ... and we go about it just like it is all just another top ten song that we don't like because its quality is stupid and its quantity is ridiculous!

Baaahhjeezhus ... I sound like early Frank Zappa already!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 19 2020 at 00:29
I think there's two forces in action. Firstly there's listener reaction to the music. You get an album like Tales From Topographic Oceans and people will argue that's it's quantity over quality with the music spread over four album sides. Personally I didn't see it at the time. I still don't see it, but others complain about it. Then there's certain people who change their minds over time so who''s right? Maybe because it's Yes people are going it like it anyway. If Yes did a cover for Jingle Bells they would probably like it. 

Secondly even the best of bands grow stale. When you get the same musicians within bands working together year after year they get to a point where they lose their inspiration. That's why so many bands break up. You find after so many albums of the same band, the quality of the music goes down. They might have a contract with a record company and have to produce an album so they go into a studio to lay down the tracks but the inspiration isn't there and what they produce just isn't very good. So it's quantity over quality.

Edit: Just reading Moshkito's comments above using the Art analogy. He's right to a point, but then you have artists like Salvador Dali who were short of cash near the end of their life, so they churned out the artwork to pay the bills. We like to think of artists we admire as beyond that sort of thing, but the reality is artists are just like you and I. At some point they need to pay the bills, at which point it often becomes quantity over quality.

Date Posted: August 19 2020 at 07:20
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Edit: Just reading Moshkito's comments above using the Art analogy. He's right to a point, but then you have artists like Salvador Dali who were short of cash near the end of their life, so they churned out the artwork to pay the bills. We like to think of artists we admire as beyond that sort of thing, but the reality is artists are just like you and I. At some point they need to pay the bills, at which point it often becomes quantity over quality.

Hi,

There was a reason why my mom hated Dali, Bunuel, and many of those folks my dad met many times when they discussed their art and work. She thought them dirty and ugly! 

In Dali's case, a lot of his money and possessions were taken over, stolen and hidden by a lot of Spanish dignitaries that were supporting the Generalissimo. So later in life, he had no choice but to sell out for some American money (Playboy was an example), as a way to cash in some of the wealth he had lost. So seeing him end up doing "quantity" instead of quality, was probably more a matter of his being able to have the time to work on something like he did before, it was all stolen! Not to mention that his ability to meet his friends and discuss a lot of anything, kinda slowed down for him badly ... and not many "artists", including writers and composers, survived the 30's, 40's and then were able to make a return in the 50's ... when a new era of arts appeared, specially in literature which exploded!

I read somewhere a long time ago, that he had mentioned that the Spanish Government had stolen more than 100 paintings ... and one could easily ask ... where are they now? Probably buried in the catacombs in Escuriel, or Madrid, that houses history like so much of the Vatican has for over 1000 years!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: August 19 2020 at 15:01
Just be careful which balls you let drop in this juggling act!

Do the best you can in the time you can spare with the equipment you have that falls within your budget. And, leave some dough aside for getting it out there to the masses or nobody is ever going to hear your masterpiece.

See? I'm an optimist. I did NOT put masterpiece in quotes.

Obviously, someone who has a long day job with five kids is most likely going to put out an album that is probably of lesser ... let's call it production quality ... than a touring musician who spends 5 hours a day with a metronome and has unlimited access to a fully equipped studio. But, that doesn't mean the album from the working stiff isn't worth listening to, or that it doesn't have value. I've heard a number of songs of exceptional musical value that were recorded with nothing more than a four-track.

In my opinion, there should be a careful balance between rawness and production. Overly produced albums are often boring. There can be something magical about plugging in, playing, and hitting record. The sweet spot is probably somewhere in between.

Date Posted: August 19 2020 at 20:33
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I find that quantity can make a difference in a negative sense as well. I chose not to include Yes in my top 10 list, because while I think they have some spectacular albums to their name, I'd also say that about half of their large discography is worthless, and I just cannot think of them as a favourite band of mine for that reason. Likewise, some Zappa albums are absolutely magnificent and hugely influential on my own musical adventures, but the sheer amount of crap that his library is saturated with in addition to those (some of which I find to be absolutely repugnant and offputting) usually makes me think twice about including him among my favourites as well.

In a way, I don't care so much if a band has some lesser albums, or songs. If I don't like them all, I just listen to the ones that I do like and ignore the others, as is the case with Yes themselves, they are my second favourite band ever, but the only 5 star albums for me are fragile and Close to the Edge... and they have songs that I do love on most of their other albums, even if it's only 2 or 3 songs (and a few albums that just don't do it for me.

Posted By: ssmarcus
Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 01:28

in I realized I had to balance out bands that had a lot of very good, but not necessarily great material vs 

I will die on the hill of quality. I wish bands would have more self awareness about their legacies and know when to say enough is enough, my band has no more to say. I know I read somewhere that Robert Fripp has said somethign similar when asked about making mor King Crimson albums. 

For my taste, a tight high density discography like say Led Zeppelin's or Tool's carries so much more weight than say Yes. I mean just imagine Yes called it a quits after their late 70's breakup and their last album was Drama. Think about how much more mythical Yes' legacy would be had they done that. At this point, not only do we see them as mortals, but deeply flawed ones. In number terms, at this point, most of their musical output is actually sub-par which is crazy to think about. 

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 03:48
Originally posted by ssmarcus ssmarcus wrote:

I will die on the hill of quality. I wish bands would have more self awareness about their legacies and know when to say enough is enough, my band has no more to say.

I totally disagree with that. If they do a bad album, how does it harm? I don't need to listen to it if I don't want to. They can have fun and earn money with music as long as they want as far as I'm concerned, and I don't see in the least why I should lower my overall rating of a band that did 10 super albums in the 70s or 80s because they did an (in my opinion) crap album in 2007 that I only listen to once and not even in full? 

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 03:59

I will die on the hill of quality. I wish bands would have more self awareness about their legacies and know when to say enough is enough, my band has no more to say. I know I read somewhere that Robert Fripp has said somethign similar when asked about making mor King Crimson albums. 

For my taste, a tight high density discography like say Led Zeppelin's or Tool's carries so much more weight than say Yes. I mean just imagine Yes called it a quits after their late 70's breakup and their last album was Drama. Think about how much more mythical Yes' legacy would be had they done that. At this point, not only do we see them as mortals, but deeply flawed ones. In number terms, at this point, most of their musical output is actually sub-par which is crazy to think about. 
I disagree, Yes have made enough good music post-Drama to warrant their continuation. Granted "Open Your Eyes" and "Heaven and Earth" are not near the standard of their classic 70s output but there's enough good tracks on The Ladder, Keys, Talk and Magnification to justify their existence. Beside it's their choice to continue or not, who are we to say when they should call it a day?

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 04:00
It's kinda same with sports comparisons... like, would you rather have KAJ on your team (15+ great seasons) or Shaq (half that number, motivational problems peppered his career, but 1999-00 season surpassed anything Kareem achieved imo).

When it comes to bands, coming up with legendary, legit 5-star skull-crushing material is the most important. I'd rather have Änglagård with 3 near perfect releases than a band with, say, 20+ studio albums, of which a quarter is of "very good but not earth shattering" quality (say, I dunno, Uriah Heep).

The best of both worlds: lengthy, quality career with a number of top tier albums to boot. Jethro Tull is such a band for sure (min. 4 max rating albums, 13+ of good/very good quality imo).

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 04:02
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I will die on the hill of quality. I wish bands would have more self awareness about their legacies and know when to say enough is enough, my band has no more to say.

I totally disagree with that. If they do a bad album, how does it harm? I don't need to listen to it if I don't want to. They can have fun and earn money with music as long as they want as far as I'm concerned, and I don't see in the least why I should lower my overall rating of a band that did 10 super albums in the 70s or 80s because they did an (in my opinion) crap album in 2007 that I only listen to once and not even in full? 

Because when considering an act's legacy, you need to take the totality of their work into account. Like you said, if they want to fun and earn money, that's absolutely fine provided they are ok with that becoming apart of their now watered-down legacy. Instead of being known as that group that, in a flash of artistic genius, made an impactful concise musical statement, they become that band that "had a good run" but now they're just some old-blokes doing this for money (for the record, Pete Townshend himself has admitted in interviews that this is exactly what he is doing). 

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 04:11
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Beside it's their choice to continue or not, who are we to say when they should call it a day?

Obviously its their choice. But its no less my right to judge their artistic legacy as a result of their choices. 

And for the record, I LOVE Magnification. In fact, had they stopped there, that would have gone a long way in rectifying the damage they did in the 90's. But put Yes aside and speak a bit more abstractly: quality concentration matters. A band with 5 perfect records has a stronger legacy than a band 10 records, 5 of which are perfect and another 5 are duds. 

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 06:16

Hi,

I honestly think that the source of a lot of these comments, is the like/dislike sort of thing ... for crying out loud, Mozart had hundreds of pieces of music, and we only heard 10 of them, and we're going to assume that the rest is second rate crap.

That is just not fair, given whatever circumstances and needs at the time.

Your taste, or mine, should have no say in the release of the music ... so if you think this or that album is not as good, don't buy it, but don't go around trashing the artist for his/her work ... it might have been the best they could do at the time! I mean ... how many super pieces do you know Stravinsky to have? How about Beethoven? Not everything they did was "great" ... so, as a FAN ... some folks are really taking it personal ... dang it guys ... GET YOUR OWN BAND ... and see if you are man enough to put up with the negative stuff! I doubt it!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 06:44

Beside it's their choice to continue or not, who are we to say when they should call it a day?

Obviously its their choice. But its no less my right to judge their artistic legacy as a result of their choices. 

And for the record, I LOVE Magnification. In fact, had they stopped there, that would have gone a long way in rectifying the damage they did in the 90's. But put Yes aside and speak a bit more abstractly: quality concentration matters. A band with 5 perfect records has a stronger legacy than a band 10 records, 5 of which are perfect and another 5 are duds. 
It's all subjective anyway, these 5 "duds" would be your opinion, other people will disagree.

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 07:38
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Your taste, or mine, should have no say in the release of the music ... so if you think this or that album is not as good, don't buy it, but don't go around trashing the artist for his/her work ... it might have been the best they could do at the time! I mean ... how many super pieces do you know Stravinsky to have? How about Beethoven? Not everything they did was "great" ... so, as a FAN ... some folks are really taking it personal ... dang it guys ... GET YOUR OWN BAND ... and see if you are man enough to put up with the negative stuff! I doubt it!

I love these stupid types of comments, so we can't honestly talk critically about our personal tastes in music, if those comments are negative, unless we are in a band? 

Where's your threshold? Is strumming in my bedroom and loading it up on youtube enough? Do I need to have performed gigs? Does bandcamp count or do I need a record contract?

This is an internet forum, we are here to talk about music, if everyone plays nice all the time it's boring. If you can't take the fair and balanced criticism then don't release the music.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

It's kinda same with sports comparisons... like, would you rather have KAJ on your team (15+ great seasons) or Shaq (half that number, motivational problems peppered his career, but 1999-00 season surpassed anything Kareem achieved imo).

When it comes to bands, coming up with legendary, legit 5-star skull-crushing material is the most important. I'd rather have Änglagård with 3 near perfect releases than a band with, say, 20+ studio albums, of which a quarter is of "very good but not earth shattering" quality (say, I dunno, Uriah Heep).

The best of both worlds: lengthy, quality career with a number of top tier albums to boot. Jethro Tull is such a band for sure (min. 4 max rating albums, 13+ of good/very good quality imo).

I think a sports comparison is apt here. For my money, when I think about Shaq's legacy, it is DEFINITELY tarnished by his lack of motivation at certain points. My favorite example here is Jim Brown (from gridiron football). The guy only played 9 seasons, but they were perfect and he walked away while on top. That's a levekl of self awareness I am looking for in an artist, athlete, or entertainer of any kind. 

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 09:38
We currently live in an age where there are different kinds of musicians and different sorts of bands. I've listed a few below, but there can be considerable overlap and even hopping from one scenario to another. Each one has its merits and drawbacks, as well as levels of Quality and Quantity.

Scenario 1: If a band is a major touring act, relying on money from gigs and sales of music/merchandise to pay the bills, then fan criticism and support from their label is critically important. If the music isn't deemed to be up to snuff, then the band could turn into a fly by night business. The pressure is on! A label and fans can drop you like a hot potato. But, the risk/reward ratio is much higher. The costs are also much higher, since payment must be rendered for studio time, album production costs, managers, engineers, etc. The product has to be flawless. Quantity and quality have to be high, or the business model fails. Artists in this category must develop a thick skin and be extremely motivated and determined, in order to ride out times of famine.

Scenario 2: If the band is self-supporting, then they have a bit more freedom to do what they like with the songwriting, since they are - after all - footing the bill. The drawback is that the source of their funding (their day jobs) is going to drain vast amounts of time that could have otherwise been devoted to making music. For this scenario, fan criticism should be considered in a constructive manner to improve the sound quality where possible, but ultimately it is the band who decides what they want to do and where they want to go with their music. This type of band might do some limited touring, or it might be an internet band, but it is highly unlikely that profits will do any more than help pay for some of the equipment. They typically have a significant web presence, put out real physical albums with copyrights, and distribute digitally through avenues like Spotify playlists, Pandora Radio, and Last.FM. They usually do not have the high production quality of the touring acts on major labels. Quantity is typically lower (since they are working stiffs).

Scenario 3: Then, there are the hobbyists. They write and record music for the sheer pleasure of it. They might release their work digitally though Soundcloud or Bandcamp or whatnot, but they don't really care about making any money off of it. They may not even copyright songs, and "songs" may be merely sound bytes, riffs, or soundscapes. They do appreciate getting "likes". Quality and quantity vary, but overall it is typically deemed to be of lower quality.

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 09:39
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

GET YOUR OWN BAND ... and see if you are man enough to put up with the negative stuff! I doubt it!

I love these stupid types of comments, so we can't honestly talk critically about our personal tastes in music, if those comments are negative, unless we are in a band? 

Where's your threshold? Is strumming in my bedroom and loading it up on youtube enough? Do I need to have performed gigs? Does bandcamp count or do I need a record contract?

This is an internet forum, we are here to talk about music, if everyone plays nice all the time it's boring. If you can't take the fair and balanced criticism then don't release the music.

I hope you realize Moshkito how easy it is to flip around what you just said. How about "don't get your own band if you  are not man enough to handle the negative stuff!" 

Also, to all of you commenters who claiming that due the inherit subjectivity in evaluating music there is no value in setting crtiteria for evaluating a band's legacy, that's fine. But just bear in mind, you guys are participants on a web site that votes and then ranks albums and then discusses the reasons behind those ratings in reviewed and a forum. So while you may say you believe it is subjective, your actions via participation on the archives say otherwise. 

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 10:05

Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

I think a sports comparison is apt here. For my money, when I think about Shaq's legacy, it is DEFINITELY tarnished by his lack of motivation at certain points. My favorite example here is Jim Brown (from gridiron football). The guy only played 9 seasons, but they were perfect and he walked away while on top. That's a levekl of self awareness I am looking for in an artist, athlete, or entertainer of any kind. 

The difference is that Genesis making an album that I don't like will not cost me any money, not occupy any space in my collection, and not even cost me more than half an hour of time after which I'll probably stop listening. Sports is inherently competitive and somebody who isn't up for the job anymore takes the space of somebody else in a team, which can be bad. But the once legendary band producing a supposedly bad album doesn't do any harm. Surely it doesn't make me unlisten their earlier stuff that I liked. So in Genesis vs Anglagard Genesis wins 7:3 (say - I haven't re-evaluated all these albums for writing this posting), and the stuff that they did later which I can do very well without doesn't bother me in the least for this comparison.

Date Posted: August 20 2020 at 17:32

I hope you realize Moshkito how easy it is to flip around what you just said. How about "don't get your own band if you  are not man enough to handle the negative stuff!" 
Hi,

The point is, that many of these folks are scared of doing their own thing, and since they can't, they would rather trash someone else because this makes their "opinion" more important than the music.

I disagree.

The music, is far more important than any external opinion.

That is NEVER to say that someone's comments do not have any weigh or strength ... but it is to say, that the person over there with the courage to do the work, is the one that is showing the music!

As a writer, for example, I do not write for anyone's comments, although there are a few people here whose comments I happen to appreciate and take them to heart! What I write is from the inside, via the inside WITH the words of the inside ... and as such someone saying it is not right, or they don't like it ... doesn't matter to me! It's my child! And just because it's color is not the same you or others see, some folks will think it is wrong, or bad.

That is gross, and inappropriate under any condition. The life of the arts, for hundreds of years would not have survived if it were not for some internal constitution that helped bring it about ... and no one can tell me that music is any different!

Also, to all of you commenters who claiming that due the inherit subjectivity in evaluating music there is no value in setting criteria for evaluating a band's legacy, that's fine. But just bear in mind, you guys are participants on a web site that votes and then ranks albums and then discusses the reasons behind those ratings in reviewed and a forum. So while you may say you believe it is subjective, your actions via participation on the archives say otherwise. 

Exactly my point. These folks proclaim to be progressive in their views about the music, but they are always ready to put someone down, and not help the band along, because it sounds like this or that ... now the thread about that one band that has been about for 20 plus years is that it sounds like PF ... so do many other bands that use the same instruments ... c'mon ... go to Guitar Center and see what you can buy!

I will joke about the Sunday Morning Rock Constitutionals with Neal Morse, but that is not a put down ... in many ways, it is a chance for many of us ... to go and do something nice that is worth believing in ... at least in theory! 

But sitting here and putting down composers for their supposed "quality", or "quantity" is utterly ridiculous ... heck ... there is not a composer, writer, or painter, that does not have bagatelles in their closet! (Definition on the net ... a short, light piece of music, especially one for the piano. Or guitar!)

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 21 2020 at 00:20

If Yes had called it quits after Drama, then I would have missed many great songs that I love, like Be The One, Mind Drive (at least half of the song), Endless Dream, The More we Live, Birthright, Shock to the System, Spririt of Survival, Dreamtime, In the Presence of, and even Owner of a Lonely Heart (as well as some of my favourite versions of their classic songs that were played in the 90's). Actually, they would have had to quit before Tormato. And for me, many of the albums done after the 70's actually have as many songs that I love as their 70's albums (the only albums that I love as a whole from them are Fragile and CttE). Still, Yes are my second favourite band, because those 2 albums are so great that they deserve it, and all the bunch of songs they have doned besides those 2 albums make a really wonderful collection of music that I have to go back to often enough.

Date Posted: August 21 2020 at 00:29
^ I totally agree. If Drama had been the last Yes album, then I would have missed out on so many great Yes albums that followed it, including 90125, ABWH, Talk, The Ladder, Magnification, Fly from Here, and Heaven & Earth. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: August 21 2020 at 04:13
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I totally agree. If Drama had been the last Yes album, then I would have missed out on so many great Yes albums that followed it, including 90125, ABWH, Talk, The Ladder, Magnification, Fly from Here, and Heaven & Earth. Thumbs Up

Exactly, not to mention that 90125 is their biggest selling album I believe

Date Posted: August 21 2020 at 15:44

Hi,

I just have to ask ... why does the biggest selling album is important in a discussion of "quality vs quantity"?

Again, is all we can talk about just commercial success because we don't believe in things that we think are not right or good? I happen not to thing that album is very good, and is one of the few of their albums I DO NOT HAVE!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 22 2020 at 08:00

Hi,

I just have to ask ... why does the biggest selling album is important in a discussion of "quality vs quantity"?

Again, is all we can talk about just commercial success because we don't believe in things that we think are not right or good? I happen not to thing that album is very good, and is one of the few of their albums I DO NOT HAVE!

I'm just saying that stopping Yes after Drama would have wiped out their biggest selling album. It's not my favourite Yes album either but quality is subjective and the fact that it's their biggest seller means it would possibly be voted top in a worldwide poll and a lot of people would say it's their highest quality album.

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: August 22 2020 at 08:42
Anything that is not "quality" is not "music", in my book. 

It's "product". 

-------------

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 22 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Anything that is not "quality" is not "music", in my book. 

It's "product". 

I would tend to agree, but just to play devil's advocate: is one person's product another person's music?

Date Posted: August 23 2020 at 06:31

The difference is that Genesis making an album that I don't like will not cost me any money, not occupy any space in my collection, and not even cost me more than half an hour of time after which I'll probably stop listening. Sports is inherently competitive and somebody who isn't up for the job anymore takes the space of somebody else in a team, which can be bad. But the once legendary band producing a supposedly bad album doesn't do any harm. Surely it doesn't make me unlisten their earlier stuff that I liked. So in Genesis vs Anglagard Genesis wins 7:3 (say - I haven't re-evaluated all these albums for writing this posting), and the stuff that they did later which I can do very well without doesn't bother me in the least for this comparison.

This is actually an excellent point and I had to think about it for a bit. While you almost had me, I am still maintining my conetntion. True, in sports, a player passed his prime being cynically brought onto the field by some last place team looking to cash in is hurting the game  by replacing a spot for a more competitive player. And this is not the case for a musician taking up space on a stage, exactly like you said. But that is not quite my point. 

Simply stated, if you agree that a player or artist's legacy should consider the sum total of their work, then repeated and consistently poor performances for the sake of money, especially after the artist's or player's peak has passed, will hurt that legacy. 

FYI, Rick Wakeman agrees with me (kind of) "I always said that I never want to walk onstage and not play to the standard I want to. I don’t want anyone to applaud anything I do because of what I used to do, so there comes a time to stop."https://www.loudersound.com/news/rick-wakeman-the-yes-name-should-have-been-retired-when-chris-squire-died#:~:text=News-,Rick%20Wakeman%3A%20The%20Yes%20name%20should%20have,retired%20when%20Chris%20Squire%20died&text=%2FWireImage%20%2D%20Getty%29-,Rick%20Wakeman%20says%20it%20would%20have%20been%20%E2%80%9Cthe%20decent%20thing,bassist%20Chris%20Squire%20in%202015." rel="nofollow - https://www.loudersound.com/news/rick-wakeman-the-yes-name-should-have-been-retired-when-chris-squire-died#:~:text=News-,Rick%20Wakeman%3A%20The%20Yes%20name%20should%20have,retired%20when%20Chris%20Squire%20died&text=%2FWireImage%20%2D%20Getty)-,Rick%20Wakeman%20says%20it%20would%20have%20been%20%E2%80%9Cthe%20decent%20thing,bassist%20Chris%20Squire%20in%202015.

Date Posted: August 23 2020 at 06:37

So you guys are basically agreeing with me. You're saying that Yes' later career output WAS quality and therefore their legacy is not watered down at all. 

As I've clarified a few times already in different words, I don't care what you think about Yes. I am simply stating that however you evaluate a band's legacy (as subjective of an exercise as that may be), consistency across and concentration of quality matter. And given that you guys do indeed like Yes' output across all eras, you're agreeing with me. 

Date Posted: August 23 2020 at 07:35

So you guys are basically agreeing with me. You're saying that Yes' later career output WAS quality and therefore their legacy is not watered down at all. 

That's basically what I'm saying but you did kind of suggest that you thought they should have knocked it on the head after "Drama" when you said "Think about how much more mythical Yes' legacy would be had they done that" then later suggested they should have given up after "Magnification ("the damage they did in the 90's"). 

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: August 23 2020 at 07:46
Quality of course. The more albums a band produces the more it tends to repeat themselves. And rare exceptions like Bowie-type chameleons only confirm the rule. I mean if you're not a die-hard fan of a certain sound and don't limit yourself with one genre, do you really need ALL Motorhead, AC/DC or Rick Wakeman albums?

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: August 23 2020 at 15:39
Quality all the way. Give me a 2 minute gem over a 20 minute borefest

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 16:49
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Hi,

"Borefest's" ... are not that bad ... in the old days when you were stoned immaculate at the Fillmore, all the "borefests" were far out ... and no one has ever complained about The Grateful Dead ... maybe because they were far richer than anyone else ... and they couldn't careless about the comments anyway. They still played and did their thing ... and while I'm not a great fan, they have, in every concert, some really fine moments!

I think that "commercial music" has taken away the ability of a lot of "fans" to enjoy music ... and I kinda see folks that say that about "borefests" as someone that will not appreciate classical music later in their life ... and find some far out and wonderful things done with it ... and rock music tried ... were it not that we now consider "progressive" anyone that develops something from a riff only ... and then the whole piece still has exactly the same parts as any song listed in the top ten!

To me, THAT is a borefest ... continually doing the same thing ... over and over ... and it's about time that drummers go back to school to learn how to "accent" the music, not just playing a beat straight through it and make it sound .... the same ... and expect the lyrics to bring it alive. This kind of thing is by far the poorest of all "progressive" bands, many of which are listed here.

They deserve their mention and nickel, but perhaps not within a "progressive" mold since what they do is not progressive at all!

Quality is about developing something different and doing it well ... or you can give that guitarist a 9th string so he can solo even longer! AND he still won't be able to be as good as Egberto Gismonti was!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 17:16
Coming back to the subject of Yes - and why not - my two all-time favourite Yes albums were released in the 1990's:- Talk (1994) and The Ladder (1999). I could go on, so I will. The three most recent albums by Yes: Magnification (2001); Fly from Here (2011); and Heaven & Earth (2014), are all far more preferable to my ears than the two classic Yes albums: Topographic Oceans (1973) and Relayer (1974), and I mean that most sincerely folks, as Hughie Green of Opportunity Knocks used to say. Smile

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 17:25
Quality over quantity, of course.

Yet I wouldn't complain if an artist/band is/are very productive, albeit still inspired.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 17:31
Tall order to have both.   Tull largely pulled it off; Genesis; the Beatles.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 15:23

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Hi,

"Borefest's" ... are not that bad ... in the old days when you were stoned immaculate at the Fillmore, all the "borefests" were far out ... and no one has ever complained about The Grateful Dead ... maybe because they were far richer than anyone else ... and they couldn't careless about the comments anyway. They still played and did their thing ... and while I'm not a great fan, they have, in every concert, some really fine moments!

I think that "commercial music" has taken away the ability of a lot of "fans" to enjoy music ... and I kinda see folks that say that about "borefests" as someone that will not appreciate classical music later in their life ... and find some far out and wonderful things done with it ... and rock music tried ... were it not that we now consider "progressive" anyone that develops something from a riff only ... and then the whole piece still has exactly the same parts as any song listed in the top ten!

To me, THAT is a borefest ... continually doing the same thing ... over and over ... and it's about time that drummers go back to school to learn how to "accent" the music, not just playing a beat straight through it and make it sound .... the same ... and expect the lyrics to bring it alive. This kind of thing is by far the poorest of all "progressive" bands, many of which are listed here.

They deserve their mention and nickel, but perhaps not within a "progressive" mold since what they do is not progressive at all!

Quality is about developing something different and doing it well ... or you can give that guitarist a 9th string so he can solo even longer! AND he still won't be able to be as good as Egberto Gismonti was!

As long as I enjoy the composition then I’m fine with a 15 minute song. If it’s just a very simple melody then I’ll be bored. There has to be some complexity and cleverness to keep me interested

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: September 10 2020 at 14:44
Has to be quality but it is a very tricky question. Would you rather prefer your favorite band to have 5 stellar studio albums out of 20, or a band that released 5 albums and they were all pretty good?
However, if a band can manage to handle both then I'm in.
Still, if I like only one album by a band that has released more than 15, then what?
Does that matter to anyone? I guess it would be a 'me' issue, so...
It's a pretty damn endless topic

Date Posted: September 11 2020 at 07:35
Hi,

How does it go in Physics?

QUALITY IS INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL TO QUANTITY!

I guess we didn't go to school a whole lot, hey? Wink AND remember anything! Embarrassed

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk