Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 23:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: If all crossover prog would vanish
Posted By: friso
Subject: If all crossover prog would vanish
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 02:32
Just curious..

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Replies:
Posted By: thief
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:26
Crossover Prog is, according to PA, Mike Oldfield. For that alone it's a huge loss.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:30
crossover prog-light for a lot of people, but why would it vanish? Confused

Posted By: FatherChristmas
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:36
I'd lose all my Peter Gabriel, which terrible enough, and apparently Duke might qualify for Crossover too, which is even worse. So... awful, I'd lose a big part of my collection.
And worse than that (ok, an exageration), for some reason I can't turn italics off.

-------------
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:42
I can do without it, k

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:49
I voted for "Awful, I'd loose a big part of my music collection" even though I don't have many Crossover Prog albums. But, some of the Crossover Prog albums I do have are among my favourite albums, such as Split Enz - Mental Notes.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 04:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Why would you have to choose between Genesis and Yes..?

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 04:40
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Why would you have to choose between Genesis and Yes..?

it's not the same thing. Yes and Genesis are two bands, that exist. You've created a "what if" poll (an exercise in imagination) which TBH I don't see the point, that's why I asked why would it vanish? Some people dislike it, I get it,  it's the light side of prog, but still... Confused

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 04:43
A pity but ... Unhappy

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 06:50
It would indeed be very sad.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 08:42
Crossover prog is an artificial construct. No band ever said, “I know, we’ll make a crossover album this year, rather than that symphonic nonsense”.

Having said that, by the extraordinarily loose definition of it on this site, I would lose a huge amount of my collection, so it would be rather awful.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 09:30
This happened with my comic book collection, when somebody ripped off my storage facility and cherry-picked the boxes.

I cried without end.

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 11:07
Supertramp. Enough said.

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 11:08
KATE BUSH. MORE SAID.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 11:48
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

This happened with my comic book collection, when somebody ripped off my storage facility and cherry-picked the boxes.

I cried without end.

Say what? That's awful. Don't tell me they left you with everything Liefeld worked on...!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 12:27
Not the end of the world, but an absolute, total bummer.
Always good to have those other bits of color in the jukebox.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 12:46
If you mean the category, which was invented for this site, I think it's useful. That said, if we had multi-genre album tagging we wouldn't need the term as descriptor. Prog by nature tends to crossover with other styles, but if just referring to that which crosses over with pop/mainstream, well that's a huge amount of music (most all of PA some would say) that could be said to be crossover and many of my favourite albums could fit that description. I categorise more by album (and even track) than by band, but if you mean if all the bands included in PA's category were to disappear, well, that would be a huge lose for me. It includes favourites of mine such as Kate Bush, David Axelrod, The Advancement, The Alan Parsons Project, Bjork, yes Bjork, Chrome Hoof, Bent Knee, and could possibly include albums by acts such as Stereolab, Pram, some Broadcast and Air.... I consider various David Bowie albums to be crossover.

If every album that I would consider to be on the Crossover side was lost from my collection, it would be a huge loss, and that goes well beyond what is included in PA in the Crossover prog category.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 13:26
For some reason The Moody Blues are in Crossover and I would surely miss them since they have been a big favorite since 1967/1968 for me. Also like PT and Wilson, Bush and Talk Talk...could live without the others.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 14:46
Talk Talk, Kate Bush, Mike Oldfield, David Sylvian, Supertramp, iamthemorning, Björk,... some of the biggest. 

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 15:09
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Talk Talk, Kate Bush, Mike Oldfield, David Sylvian, Supertramp, iamthemorning, Björk,... some of the biggest. 

WordClap. And don't forget Knifeworld and Bent Knee. I am afraid a lot of people who dis Crossover have never had a look at the list of bands and artists included in the subgenre. The usual narrow-mindedness of prog fansWink. Anyway, I think this thread belongs to Just for Fun.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 16:03
I know this is going to be a controversial thing to say and many will disagree with me but in my mind most crossover prog is not necessarily true blue 100 percent prog in the strictest sense. It's more like art rock. Does it belong in the larger prog family? Yes, it does and I don't have any problem with it being there but like neo prog(which I actually like btw)it could be argued that most is not prog in the strictest most prog snob sense of the term. 

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 16:31
Why would anyone want crossover prog to go?

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 31 2020 at 18:02
I'd lose about a third of my musical collection.

Date Posted: September 02 2020 at 01:27
This really helps in showing how much appreciation there actually is for progressive with a 'p'. For me it would be quite hard to stop listening to Kayak altogether, a band I followed since age 15.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 02 2020 at 03:19
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

KATE BUSH. MORE SAID.

This is sufficient reason for it to be akin to the end of the world for me.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: September 02 2020 at 06:36
I don't wanna live in a world without Bjork, Kate Bush, Hand. Cannot. Erase, Supertramp and PG solo

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 02 2020 at 07:24
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I don't wanna live in a world without Bjork, Kate Bush, Hand. Cannot. Erase, Supertramp and PG solo

Posted By: FatherChristmas
Date Posted: September 02 2020 at 07:38
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I don't wanna live in a world without Bjork, Kate Bush, Hand. Cannot. Erase, Supertramp and PG solo

-------------
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk