Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124018
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 10:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: This Place is a Zoo #1
Posted By: rushfan4
Subject: This Place is a Zoo #1
Date Posted: September 12 2020 at 22:03
Time to get outside and make a trip to the progressive zoo.  Which of these songs is your favorite?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 12 2020 at 22:26
Das Machine 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: September 12 2020 at 23:01
To try something new, I have created a YouTube playlist of all of these songs if this makes it easier for people to listen to the songs.

%3ca%20href=" rel="nofollow - www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37 "> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37" rel="nofollow - www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: September 12 2020 at 23:20
Jethro Tull, "Bungle in the Jungle."

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: September 12 2020 at 23:32
I deliberately tried to avoid big name bands.  Hence no Elephant Talk by King Crimson or Main Monkey Business by Rush or When The Tigers Broke Free by Pink Floyd.  I threw in Jethro Tull's Sea Lion since it is from one of their later albums, and unlike Bungle in the Jungle is not on a greatest hits compilation (which also doesn't have an actual animal name in the title so doesn't qualify for the poll anyways).  I also threw in Wot Gorilla because it always seems to fall on the hated Genesis song list, so I'm curious to see how many votes it gets.  

-------------

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 03:26
I like Wot Gorilla, but Hibou is hard to beat

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 04:43
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

To try something new, I have created a YouTube playlist of all of these songs if this makes it easier for people to listen to the songs.

%3ca%20href=" rel="nofollow - www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37 "> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37" rel="nofollow - www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37
Very useful, thanks! Thumbs Up

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:01
So, I have been listening to the playlist (while watching the Tour de France stage at the same time...) and it was quite a nice listen in general, despite the fact that I skipped some of the tracks. Looking at the first votes, I'm afraid there's some pavlovian voting going on: we vote for the bands we know without listening to the others. That's a pity.

I very much like Genesis' Wot Gorilla, Ozric Tentacles and Big Big Train, but I knew them before, so they were not surprising me.
For me there are three good surprises of bands that I didn't know before: First, The Lounge Lizards, great musicality and great fun; second the Ultraviolet Hippotamus - a great song too. But my vote goes to Tiger Moth Tales. He has the advantage of a 15 minute-track in which he can put many things, but overall this song stood out for me. So, the Tigers get my vote in this Zoo.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:02
I could have easily picked one I was familiar with. Not this time.

Mirthkon is superb! Reminds me of Bubblemath.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:10
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Sadly they are no moreCry. Their mainman, Wally Scharold, moved to Italy a few years ago (his wife is Italian). We were lucky to catch them live at Orion Studios a few years ago - a fantastic double act with their fellow Oaklanders MoeTar (with which they shared keyboardist Matt Lebofsky). MoeTar also split up a couple of years ago.

Hard not to vote for the fabulous Ut Gret, but I'd like to listen to the other tracks before making a decision. Thanks for a great pollClap!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:12
Pain of Salvation - Panther

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:37

%3ca%20href=" rel="nofollow - www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37 "> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37" rel="nofollow - www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37 </a>

Thanks! I am amazed at how few of these songs I have heard

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:58
Wot Gorilla

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 08:59
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

%3ca%20href=" rel="nofollow - www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37 "> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37" rel="nofollow - www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh7UTJceJC_X3yrzalZO33O3UoSxQTf37 </a>

That is the fun of creating a poll like this for me.  In this poll, all of these songs are in my collection, but I am really only familiar with a handful of them.  Many of them I've probably only listened to a couple of times and probably then just as a casual listen to the album without individual focus on this particular song.  Highlights for me are the songs from Ut Gret, Gran Torino, Ulraviolet Hippopotamus, Mirthkon, and The Lounge Lizards.  "The moral of the story is to feed the fever and starve the yak". 

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 09:07

That is the fun of creating a poll like this for me.  In this poll, all of these songs are in my collection, but I am really only familiar with a handful of them.  Many of them I've probably only listened to a couple of times and probably then just as a casual listen to the album without individual focus on this particular song.  Highlights for me are the songs from Ut Gret, Gran Torino, Ulraviolet Hippopotamus, Mirthkon, and The Lounge Lizards.  "The moral of the story is to feed the fever and starve the yak". 

surprised, in a good way, to see Kumm in the list. They were great. Out of the ashes of Kumm came out Byron. I enjoy them more than Kumm. Check them out (if you haven't already). 

Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 09:16
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

surprised, in a good way, to see Kumm in the list. They were great. Out of the ashes of Kumm came out Byron. I enjoy them more than Kumm. Check them out (if you haven't already). 
I think it was one of the older members from Romania that introduced me to Kumm and byron.  I just finished listening through my K albums so I had just recently heard the Kumm and Kundalini songs.  I like both of them but in a sense they weren't highlights for me since I had recently heard them.  I am pretty easygoing with my musical tastes and pretty much like everything in this list.  There are probably songs that others would think are duds but I think this made a pretty strong playlist.  I listened through it last night and quite enjoyed it.  It kept me occupied and entertained for 2 hours.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 11:53
Sealion.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 19:02
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Sadly they are no moreCry. Their mainman, Wally Scharold, moved to Italy a few years ago (his wife is Italian). We were lucky to catch them live at Orion Studios a few years ago - a fantastic double act with their fellow Oaklanders MoeTar (with which they shared keyboardist Matt Lebofsky). MoeTar also split up a couple of years ago.

Hard not to vote for the fabulous Ut Gret, but I'd like to listen to the other tracks before making a decision. Thanks for a great pollClap!
I don't think that I knew that either of those bands had broke up, but I see that Snacks was from 2013, so it has been 7 years since anything new.  I also wasn't aware of the Final Four from MoeTar, which was released in 2018.  I will have to check that out on BandCamp.

-------------

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: September 14 2020 at 19:11
Heard all except Soft Machine because the video was not available. Sealion was the only one I'd heard before. I have to admit it was a difficult choice between Tiger Moth Tales, Ut Gret, Mastodon, and Kundalini.

Went for Tiger

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: September 14 2020 at 22:09
Soft Machine!

Date Posted: September 15 2020 at 07:32
I set this up as a playlist on my iPhone, and I think that it is kind of fun to listen to.  I am one who generally listens to entire albums and entire discographies of bands, which generally I enjoy doing, but there can be a certain tedium to this.  I tend to find listening to albums that are entirely instrumental to be kind of boring to be honest and bands and albums can have a kind of sameness about them when listening to their discographies.  They really can't help that to a certain extent.  A vocalist's voice is a vocalist's voice and there are only so many ways that they can make it sound.  And generally the instrumentalists have their own styles which might change a bit from song to song or album to album but they are generally still playing the same 3 or 4 instruments.  Making a playlist like this, these may not be the best songs on their respective albums but by pulling them out into a different environment I think it helps them stand out a little more.  As an example, I'm not really a big fan of the Ozric Tentacles.  I'm not sure why.  I like pretty much everything I've heard from them but I never feel the urge to pull out an Ozric album, but when this song comes up in this rotation, I'm like, "hey that's pretty good...who is that?"  Right now, I just had that same effect with the GranTorino album.  Any how, I just thought I would share those thoughts and I am curious if anyone else enjoys creating playlists like this.

-------------

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: September 16 2020 at 10:57

Nice! I like playlists. Listening through it on shuffle but in background as I work. I'll vote on the one that catches my ear the most after I get through. So far, the post rock track "Arrival of the Rhino" caught my attention and the Lounge Lizards.

Date Posted: September 17 2020 at 18:34
That Lounge Lizards song is good musically and you have to chuckle at the lyrics.  LOL

-------------

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: October 26 2022 at 07:48
Can't see Jadis go pointless..

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: October 26 2022 at 09:01
Tiger Moth Tales

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk