Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Round 1 Rome Bracket: Dream Theater  v. Caravan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRound 1 Rome Bracket: Dream Theater v. Caravan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Poll Question: Who is your band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [23.86%]
67 [76.14%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 13:46
No vote.  Haven't been compelled to listen to either band in a long time, really.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 13:51
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I am quite shocked that this is such a blowout.  I am led to wonder how many of the votes are as much a vote against DT as they are for Caravan.  Caravan had so little impact in the USA.  I'm pretty certain I have never heard them mentioned anywhere outside of PA.  Their box set Canterbury Tales was my gateway to this band.  I had read about them back in the day, but their music was not available in local stores until this box set came about. 

what has their impact on MickyMouse Land got to do with things?
First off:  Excuse me but what is with the insults.  We are a pleasant enough country to except your sorry ass royals for a visit.  And secondly, the world revolves around what goes on here in the USA.  Everyone knows that. 
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 13:59

I am quite shocked that this is such a blowout.  I am led to wonder how many of the votes are as much a vote against DT as they are for Caravan.  Caravan had so little impact in the USA.  I'm pretty certain I have never heard them mentioned anywhere outside of PA.  Their box set Canterbury Tales was my gateway to this band.  I had read about them back in the day, but their music was not available in local stores until this box set came about. 

First off:  Excuse me but what is with the insults.  We are a pleasant enough country to except your sorry ass royals for a visit.  And secondly, the world revolves around what goes on here in the USA.  Everyone knows that. 

It was a friendly dig at your seemingly US Centric post. Please take the Royals off our hands! But are you not the Land Of MickyMouse?  Rather than GreyandPink?
Help me I'm falling!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 14:14

It was a friendly dig at your seemingly US Centric post. Please take the Royals off our hands! But are you not the Land Of MickyMouse?  Rather than GreyandPink?
We are as much the land of Micky D's as we are of Mickey Mouse.  That being said, I am probably making your argument for you. LOL  My post is US Centric, because I am US Centric, but moreso probably just Michigan-centric since that is all that I can really speak for.  And from my point of view, Dream Theater have had a bigger impact than Caravan.  And people may complain about DT's last two or three albums, but when is the last time Caravan released anything worthwhile?  1976?  I can't speak for their 2014 release because they have failed to release it in the US.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 14:25

We are as much the land of Micky D's as we are of Mickey Mouse.  That being said, I am probably making your argument for you. LOL  My post is US Centric, because I am US Centric, but moreso probably just Michigan-centric since that is all that I can really speak for.  And from my point of view, Dream Theater have had a bigger impact than Caravan.  And people may complain about DT's last two or three albums, but when is the last time Caravan released anything worthwhile?  1976?  I can't speak for their 2014 release because they have failed to release it in the US.

McDs maybees?  I guess being a prog site we're not going to vote based on the most recent output of such and such band.  And as we don't all come from Michegan we might not all vote in the same Michegan educated manner.  Having said that the gap does surprise me but, then previous posts seem to address that - purely for my own point of view I wouldn't vote against another band even if it was 1 Direction.  I am still waiting for the 1D v VDGG match up.
Help me I'm falling!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 14:38
Ah Yes.  One Direction...another thing that we have to thank the UK for.  LOLWink 

Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate that on a Prog site there are going to be a number of people that like a band like Caravan and prefer them over a band like DT, who are those damn Americans who b*****dized the prog genre by adding it to metal.  It has been my experience within PA that there seems to be more people who hate DT than there are those who love Caravan, which is the reason behind my comment on the votes against DT vs votes for Caravan. 

I also have no interest in disparaging Caravan or people who like them and prefer them over DT.  I like them well enough myself.  It is more an observation that it seems odd that a smaller, lesser known act from the 70's would be so completely destroying a behemoth band from the 90's.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 14:44
I suppose that in the wider world Dream Theatre might be a much bigger deal than Caravan.  But I suspect in our own little subsect , Caravan are concidered much more important.  I do understand you quizing other's motives for voting Canterbury but, I don't think that would explain the huge gap in voting.

Edited by akamaisondufromage - December 08 2014 at 14:44
Help me I'm falling!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 15:22
Caravan are a significant if lesser known band in the development of progressive rock in the 70's. My personal view is that there are few DT fanboys here than previously. That and DT being crap. Wink
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 15:56
Like a good amount of DT, dislike some of DT. Like what I've heard by Caravan a decent amount, but I don't think I've heard enough to vote.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:39
Just for the record, Caravan headlined this year's edition of ROSfest (Gettysburg, PA), and a lot of people came expressly to see them. They have a lot of fans among the older generation, and also quite a few younger prog fans dig them. Moreover, the next installment of the Romantic Warriors documentary series (whose makers are good friends of ours) will be entirely dedicated to the Canterbury scene. Quite a few US bands have been influenced by Caravan and the Canterbury sound - for instance, The Muffins and, in more modern times, Ut Gret.

That is not to say that DT have not been enormously influential as well. Unfortunately, the fact is that a lot of people seem to grow out of them when they get acquainted with other styles of prog.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:39
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Caravan are a significant if lesser known band in the development of progressive rock in the 70's. My personal view is that there are few DT fanboys here than previously. That and DT being crap. Wink
There are fewer DT fanboys here and my view is that your dislike for them is your loss, but to each their own and all that jazz.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:42
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Just for the record, Caravan headlined this year's edition of ROSfest (Gettysburg, PA), and a lot of people came expressly to see them. They have a lot of fans among the older generation, and also quite a few younger prog fans dig them. Moreover, the next installment of the Romantic Warriors documentary series (whose makers are good friends of ours) will be entirely dedicated to the Canterbury scene. Quite a few US bands have been influenced by Caravan and the Canterbury sound - for instance, The Muffins and, in more modern times, Ut Gret.

That is not to say that DT have not been enormously influential as well. Unfortunately, the fact is that a lot of people seem to grow out of them when they get acquainted with other styles of prog.
I guess it is just lucky for me that I have Peter Pan Syndrome and will never grow up.  WinkLOL

I "dig them" as well, I just prefer metal related prog over jazz related prog. 

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:48
Rome? Lima? Would you believe Poughkeepsie?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:50
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I'd vote for Celine Dionne before DT.

Sorry guys, but I can't stand them.

I believe that.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 17:35

I frequent a few other music related sites or audio gear sites that have music threads......all of them have a prog section and Caravan are well represented, you would be surprised. Granted it is easy to tell the age of these followers, the bigger issue is only a small percentage of them have listened to DT or have no desire for metal related music, to them it might as well be scream/death metal.

This poll on those sites would be the same landslide victory for the Canterbury scene....
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 19:45
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I'd vote for Celine Dionne before DT.

Sorry guys, but I can't stand them.

What he said !-)
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 20:42
to speak to what rushfan4 has been saying:
As an American who has just turned 30 I absolutely love Caravan and recognize that prog was basically born in England and at least 90% of the legends of the genre are from merry old England.  Also, I have absolutely no use for Dream Theater or any metal in my prog and view my country's contributions to prog, beyond Frank Zappa, Yezda Urfa, and Arabesque, as suspect at best.  You neither have to be old nor English to feel that metal should be a disqualifying term instead of a subgenre.  Also, it seems really odd to be using public popular opinion as an argument within a forum devoted to a genre that public popular opinion has largely cast into the shadows.  Given what charts here in the US, though I hardly think it's limited to us, if a prog band were to pop up it would make me more suspicious of their credentials than anything else.  I can't imagine a prog fan looking at pop music charts in the first place, though.

Edited by manofmystery - December 08 2014 at 20:44

Time always wins.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 21:59
There was once a time when the pop music charts were relevant in relation to prog and Caravan wasn't on it. I listened to a lot of rock radio when I was younger. Caravan wasn't on it. DTs one hit made them nationwide.

But from a PA standpoint all of their albums have over 1000 reviews and the lowest is rated at 3.32. Caravan have 8 studio albums rated below DTs worst rated album and only 1 album with 1000 votes. These stats tell me that DT should win this easily. The fanboy thing is most likely the reason for why the actual vote is so different.

Edited by rushfan4 - December 08 2014 at 22:01
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 22:23
The statistics you provide just prove to show how depressingly deep the metal infestation is in prog.  Although, maybe, just maybe, the fact that their representative in this poll is being pummeled gives some hope for a brighter tomorrow.

Time always wins.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 01:23
Ah, good to see this thread came alive. As for the missing fanboys, well, back when they were still there, Truth made a DT v/s Magma poll and called us trolls when Magma won the poll. One thing that hasn't changed is the difficulty they have in digesting the fact that some people don't worship the ground that DT treads, even when the other band is a very fine one like Caravan. I like early DT and patches of the rest of their albums (post Awake) but hey, is any reason other than Another Day required to dislike them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>