Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rush appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 28>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 01:14
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Just curious, what is the meaning of "dance round yer handbags"? I am not familiar with it. Is it a quote from something in particular?

It is a referral to social observation. Women in nightclubs or party events, place their handbags on the dance floor and dance round them usually to Ghost of Perdition by Opeth...😃 part of that observation is false...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 12:03
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Just curious, what is the meaning of "dance round yer handbags"? I am not familiar with it. Is it a quote from something in particular?

It is a referral to social observation. Women in nightclubs or party events, place their handbags on the dance floor and dance round them usually to Ghost of Perdition by Opeth...😃 part of that observation is false...

Well, yeah, who wants to listen to that noise? LOL
fracturematt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fracturematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 14:19
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Well, yeah, who wants to listen to that noise? LOL

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the last 4 albums of Opeth are all 70's prog influences/no harsh vocals.  If you haven't heard it I'd highly recommend it!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 08:48
As I am reading thru the Rush tour history book, I am finding that a lot of the negative reviews of their shows come from their Canada dates. Don't get me wrong there are also negative reviews from their US dates also, it just seems to sway to Canada.  Here are a few snap shots of reviews positive and negative, along with a cryptic comment by Geddy about touring....

Edited by Catcher10 - February 12 2020 at 08:50
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 18:56
Seems like Geddy was mystified. Well, they only had been a pro band for five years when he said that. But it does seem weird that they weren't established in Montreal by that point.

Weirder things have happened, like Van Halen being huge in the States by the early '80s, but not being better than a support act on the European tour for Bon Jovi, who were massive over there. 

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:11
I came across this cover version of 2112 and thought that I'd share it.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:46
I was just looking to see if anyone's posted any Rush albums on this thread yet, but there's no rush. Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 10:52
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I came across this cover version of 2112 and thought that I'd share it.

That's awesome Scott!! Love the Discovery/Presentation sections....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 14:38
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I was just looking to see if anyone's posted any Rush albums on this thread yet, but there's no rush. Smile

Because we own 'em already! LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 14:41

Good answer! I only have two Rush albums, but they're both compilations. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 14:47

Good answer! I only have two Rush albums, but they're both compilations. Smile

Oh, no! We must address this most urgent matter. Which songs do you like best? That will help point you to the albums you'll like.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 14:55
^ I'd forgotten what my favourite Rush songs were, so I had to go back and find the Top 5 Rush songs list. Anyway, here's my Top 5:-

1. Spirit of Radio
2. By Tor & the Snow Dog
3. Time Stand Still
4. The Necromancer
5. Xanadu
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:08

^ I'd forgotten what my favourite Rush songs were, so I had to go back and find the Top 5 Rush songs list. Anyway, here's my Top 5:-

1. Spirit of Radio
2. By Tor & the Snow Dog
3. Time Stand Still
4. The Necromancer
5. Xanadu

Those are all from different albums. Since your top pick is from Permanent Waves I would say start with that one. Wink If you like live albums get exit stage left.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 11 2020 at 15:08
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:11
Paul, since you like all of the recent Yes albums, I am going to throw a few oddball "newer" suggestions to you for Rush:

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:12
I'm on my 3rd copy of Exit...Stage Left, played them all till there were no more grooves! LOL. The raw power of All the World's A Stage should also be part of your live collection, 11 min of By Tor is awesome.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:23
I used to tape songs I liked off the radio. One day, when I was trying to tape a song by I-can't-even-remember-who, I accidentally recorded Freewill instead. My gosh! The number of changes in that song! And, it may be partly in odd time signatures, but you would never know it, because THE ODD TIME SIGNATURES FIT THE PHRASING OF THE SONG!!! (Why am I shouting? Sorry). That is one aspect that made Rush so special. They had impeccable phrasing. Some prog bands use odd time signatures and they sound so forced. Rush had a way of writing (sometimes syncopating parts) where the odd time signatures seamlessly fit like hand-in-glove. Limelight is another great example. And, they often ping pong-ed back & forth between odd time signature and 4/4. Then, you have that solo between Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson (with what might be a flanger) that was so beautifully executed. There are super chord progressions (3 in particular) in that piece in verse, chorus, and bridge sections with neato-cool sounding inversions. Then, to top it off, Geddy Lee gets up into Mariah Carey's vocal range with some of those notes. "Each of us ...!" Freewill is ... to me ... a perfect Rush song. You'll never hear anything else like it. I had heard a lot of their songs before, but Freewill was the turning point, where I became a true fan. Of course, now I own most of their albums. The problem is that I had to buy them as LPs, then cassettes, then CDs, ...

I distinctly recall the good old days of anxiously awaiting their next album. Now, sadly, they're done ... but their music lives on!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

1. Spirit of Radio
2. By Tor & the Snow Dog
3. Time Stand Still
4. The Necromancer
5. Xanadu

Those are all from different albums. Since your top pick is from Permanent Waves I would say start with that one. Wink If you like live albums get exit stage left.
The two Rush albums I already have are "All the World's a Stage - Recorded Live" and "Time Stands Still - The Collection", although I'm in no rush to add any more Rush albums to my CD collection. Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:34
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I used to tape songs I liked off the radio. One day, when I was trying to tape a song by I-can't-even-remember-who, I accidentally recorded Freewill instead. My gosh! The number of changes in that song! And, it may be partly in odd time signatures, but you would never know it, because THE ODD TIME SIGNATURES FIT THE PHRASING OF THE SONG!!! (Why am I shouting? Sorry). That is one aspect that made Rush so special. They had impeccable phrasing. Some prog bands use odd time signatures and they sound so forced. Rush had a way of writing (sometimes syncopating parts) where the odd time signatures seamlessly fit like hand-in-glove. Limelight is another great example. And, they often ping pong-ed back & forth between odd time signature and 4/4. Then, you have that solo between Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson (with what might be a flanger) that was so beautifully executed. There are super chord progressions (3 in particular) in that piece in verse, chorus, and bridge sections with neato-cool sounding inversions. Then, to top it off, Geddy Lee gets up into Mariah Carey's vocal range with some of those notes. "Each of us ...!" Freewill is ... to me ... a perfect Rush song. You'll never hear anything else like it. I had heard a lot of their songs before, but Freewill was the turning point, where I became a true fan. Of course, now I own most of their albums. The problem is that I had to buy them as LPs, then cassettes, then CDs, ...

I distinctly recall the good old days of anxiously awaiting their next album. Now, sadly, they're done ... but their music lives on!
I haven't said "neato" in like 30yrs........Big smile. For whatever reason Freewill is a fairly big FM radio song, I remember hearing it all the time as a teen in So Cal. Even here in PNW it gets played regularly. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 16:15
Paul! Please listen to this.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 08:54
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

It used to feel like an eternity waiting 1-2 years for a new album in the 80s. LOL
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 28>