Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArgus: Wishbone Ash Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 13:39
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Martin Turner's WA project intrigues me, he has toured with Laurie Wisefield.  I'd enjoy seeing them, I've only seen a snippet or two on Youtube and really liked what I heard.  

I've seen MT's band many times - you could say I'm one of their biggest fans. I think they recreate the sound of 1970s Wishbone Ash very well.

I think they played in your neck of the woods on the tour that Tom Ozric alluded to, but that was the only time they've crossed the pond. I recommend the Garden Party recording as the next best think to seeing them. Ted Turner and Laurie Wisefield play on that too.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 14:40
Does anyone know why Turner and Powell split?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 14:55
I didn't get into Wishbone Ash or Uriah Heep until this year...I really dig Argus and Heep's Salisbury...True masterpieces!   The vocals, melodies and riffs are to die for. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 15:15
some really good stuff there.  Keys are not missed - the twin guitar approach is awesome, and the acoustic guitars add another dimension.  Some of it is decidedly prog, but the degree to which it is prog doesn't matter much to me when it's this good
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 15:18
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Martin Turner's WA project intrigues me, he has toured with Laurie Wisefield.  I'd enjoy seeing them, I've only seen a snippet or two on Youtube and really liked what I heard.  

I've seen MT's band many times - you could say I'm one of their biggest fans. I think they recreate the sound of 1970s Wishbone Ash very well.

I think they played in your neck of the woods on the tour that Tom Ozric alluded to, but that was the only time they've crossed the pond. I recommend the Garden Party recording as the next best think to seeing them. Ted Turner and Laurie Wisefield play on that too.

Yeah, I read about that MT gig, but couldn't make it!  Cry

The "garden party" gig was great!  Wish I were there!  

Martin Turner was (is) one of the BEST singing bassists, ever!  Man, he could wail on bass while singing lead (not harmony like Squire).  I'd put Martin Turner right up there with the best prog bassists.  

I don't know if many folks like "Wishbone 4," I was a huge fan of that LP as well.  It wasn't perhaps as progressive as "Argus," but it rocked!  I saw WA on tour right when 4 was released, amazing show!  
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 15:23
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

My dad sort of ruined the album for me a bit.  I was toward the end of Sometime World when he came in to my room and said "Isn't that really annoying and repetitive? Turn it off".  I guess he sort of had a point, and it soured the album for me for a few years.  I took his opinion too seriously, since it was music from his time period.

just listening to it again and I love that last part!  
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 15:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I recommend you get hold of Martin Turner's autobiography "No Easy Road" if you're interested in his side of the story.

And if you want to be even handed, Andy Powell is bringing out HIS autobiography later this year.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 15:56

I don't know if many folks like "Wishbone 4," I was a huge fan of that LP as well.  It wasn't perhaps as progressive as "Argus," but it rocked!  I saw WA on tour right when 4 was released, amazing show!  

Wishbone 4 was a bit of a disappointment to a lot of fans at the time, but in retrospect it's actually a pretty good album with some great songs. It was let down by the production, unfortunately. I love songs like Sorrel, Ballad Of The Beacon and Everybody Needs A Friend, especially.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 15:58

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I recommend you get hold of Martin Turner's autobiography "No Easy Road" if you're interested in his side of the story.

And if you want to be even handed, Andy Powell is bringing out HIS autobiography later this year.
 A He said-She said deal. Ok, Thanks.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 15:59
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

My dad sort of ruined the album for me a bit.  I was toward the end of Sometime World when he came in to my room and said "Isn't that really annoying and repetitive? Turn it off".  I guess he sort of had a point, and it soured the album for me for a few years.  I took his opinion too seriously, since it was music from his time period.
Your dad made a queer observation. ... Two things:

1) When I hear something "repetitive" with different guitar phrases in a solo, it's not that repetitive to my ears.

2) Repetition makes it easier to improvise or write a solo. Sometimes all you need is just two chords.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 16:07

^Hmmmph! Old people! LOL

bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 16:24
I guess I should mention that I'm on good terms with the album now, I just try not to play music out loud in the presence of other people anymore
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 16:49
^Sometimes that's a smart move.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 21:38
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

It's their strongest effort. "The King Will Come" is my favorite song from the album. "Time Was" is a great Rock song ! I will always love that track. It reminds me of a song that Danny Kirwan would have written for Fleetwood Mac during the Future Games/Bare Trees period. I also hear a lot of Pete Townshend chord style changes/voicings in the song. "Leaf and Stream" is beautiful, but again...everything about it reminds me of Danny Kirwan's guitar playing and particularly vocals. I bought this album the week it was released and had a instantaneous reaction about it's originality. It is very original and to the character of Wishbone Ash. The emulation of others that I hear in their music does not hold a candle to their originality. Wishbone Ash are very unique. Sometimes they blend a "Traditional Folk" vocal sounding style with "Traditional Irish Folk" phrasings on guitar...such as "Jigs" ...for example the guitar harmony signature playing at the end of "Blowin" Free" and about a hundred other songs . Andy Powell is a very melodic player, technical enough to pull off surprising things, and a fine vocalist. The keyboardist from Renaissance, (forget name, shame on me), plays on "Throw Down The Sword" and then Andy Powell plays lead guitar on "Ashes Are Burning" A great time period to remember.

John Tout, shame on you, Toddler!  LOL  I agree with your post.

Has anyone seen either of the two touring Wishbone Ash iterations?  I've seen Andy Powell's WA twice, and he really does a fantastic job with this material, including singing the lead vocals!  Last time he had a Finnish guitarist who was a slide guitar whizz, it was fun!  

I would love to see them!
Martin's playing this tour.....Gawd, I'd love to see this show!  I used to live in Exeter & absolutely love the west country of England!  
WED MARCH 4 2015

EXETER, Corn Exchange, Eng

Classic Legends of Rock and Folk. With Carl Palmer, Strawbs.

http://newcastlecityhall.org/event/classic-legends-of-rock-folk-super-tour-2015/  (note, Newcastle, not Exeter!)

Edited by cstack3 - February 18 2015 at 21:45
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 22:11
Great album and a must for anyone who likes guitar based progressive rock.
Certainly my favorite Ash album.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 23:14

I was totally in-the-dark when Turner's version shared the bill with Nektar. There was a well enebriated older guy sitting at the table with me - (I recall, he knocked over his Bud and it encroached on my I-pod.....) - anyway, I knew they were 'Rock Legends' from the good ol' days, I stuck around - I don't even recall the particular members who participated ( I'm sure the drummer was from Landmarq though) - I was impressed with their set, to say the least. I picked up Argus and the live Concerts album immediately from some 'Golden Oldies Rare Records' shop near Bleeker St. So, when I arrived home to spin these albums, that was it. I've missed this band for years..........
I've gone up to (and including) the album There's The Rub.   Great albums they are, especially the debut. I do place the first album high on my list. Argus is still a wonderful listen, something I do wish I'd discovered many years ago..........
Terakonin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 23:33
Heard this for the first time the other week. What with the mediaeval themes and pioneering of twin-lead guitar I wouldn't hesitate to call this prog, and it's a great album to boot.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 02:58
Well spotted Tom, the drummer in Martin's band was Dave Wagstaffe of Lamdmarq. He's not with them any more, though.

I'm hoping to get to one of the Strawbs, Carl Palmer and MTptmoWA shows if I can. I'm intrigued by Carl Palmer's band playing ELP without keyboards. I've seen his guitarist on a Neal Morse DVD and he's very good.

Lots of love for Wishbone Ash on this forum recently Big smile
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 10:12
Other people's opinions are just that. Don't let some one ruin something for you, 'specially if you're enjoying it. Certainly not Sometime World which is magnificent and yet didn't get onto the BBC disc. I also rate Argus and Sometime World v. high.

Really enjoy their first few albums as well. Then like U Heep after the live album and line up changes nothing really took off for me. Hope it wasn't 'cause John Wetton was in both bands...  That'd be a shame.

(and no, it's not...) Wink
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 14:58

Wishbone 4 was a bit of a disappointment to a lot of fans at the time, but in retrospect it's actually a pretty good album with some great songs. It was let down by the production, unfortunately. I love songs like Sorrel, Ballad Of The Beacon and Everybody Needs A Friend, especially.

I've only recently gotten into Wishbone Ash. Love Argus as well as the songs Phoenix, Handy, and The Pilgrim. Just amazing stuff. Wishbone 4 and anything later doesn't do much for me. I'd rather hear proggy-type WA, than what came after. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>