Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJudas Priest (Prog Metal)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Judas Priest (Prog Metal)
    Posted: March 15 2008 at 09:21
There hasn't been much spice in the forums lately, so after having a Judas Priest marathon yesterday, I have decided to spice things up a bit with what is probably a controversial suggestion that is likely to be shot down but might lead to a lively and hopefully enjoyable debate.  I checked the list of bands on the Prog Metal team agenda on Mike's Rating Freak website and I didn't see that Judas Priest has been suggested for Prog Metal, so therefore I have decided to suggest them. 

My suggestion is that based on current site guidelines, a band must have 1 prog album to be included on Prog Archives.  It is my opinion that their first two albums Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings of Destiny might just qualify as progressive rock or progressive metal albums, and that their 3rd album Sin After Sin has some progressive moments.  The remainder of their output is just good solid heavy metal music which may or may not have influenced many prog metal bands, but I am not suggesting that they are prog albums.

Therefore, might I request that the Prog Metal team discuss the possible inclusion of Judas Priest based on the merits of their first two and possibly three albums for inclusion into the progressive metal subgenre. 

Obviously, Judas Priest is not some obscure band, and the fact that they are not already in the archives hasn't alluded me, but since I don't see that they have been rejected by the prog metal team, I figure why not suggest them.  I would really enjoy reviewing their albums for the site, and since I very rarely visit the metal archives sites since I don't really care for much of what passes as metal these days, I would rather review them here. 

Like other controversial metal band inclusions, if there were a proto-prog metal category, they would probably fit nicely there.  But since there isn't and Judas Priest isn't old enough for the Proto-Prog category that leaves the prog metal sub genre as the only possible location where they might possibly fit.

Thank you for your time and hopefully this starts a friendly discussion. 

Also, my apologies to my friends on the site that would prefer more lively discussions about lesser known pure prog bands.  I know that Judas Priest doesn't need the press, but they are one of my favorite bands going back to my pre-prog days, and I really would enjoy reviewing their albums here.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 09:35
Not that I know much about Judas Priest, but their reputation at large is not connected to prog.

And if you thought Iron Maiden was contentious....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 09:40
or Metallica.....  

that said...  Judas Priest  does belong here.. the place.. .TBD...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 10:02
Well, I could see Priest here, but I still think Metallica should be here a lot sooner than Priest. As you said, their first 3 albums qualify them, and I would say that Painkiller is prog-related with its mixture of pure thrash, NWOBHM, and symphonic elements on tracks like "Touch of Evil" and "One Shot at Glory".
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 10:24
I don't think they fit in Prog Metal ... maybe Prog Related, but that would be for the admins to decide.

BTW: I just added another feature at ratingfreak.com - there are now pages for each artist "as seen by" a particular reviewer. Here's rushfan4's page for Judas Priest:

http://ratingfreak.com/_dbe,artist_info,_auto_5249053.xhtml

The new pages are available on the user profile tab "Favorite Artists" through the "details" links.Smile
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 10:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

or Metallica.....  

TBD???? Trash Bin Department?Confused
I don't think they fit in the prog metal category. Just like others mentioned: Prog Related.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 10:58
Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

or Metallica.....  

TBD???? Trash Bin Department?Confused
I don't think they fit in the prog metal category. Just like others mentioned: Prog Related.

LOL To Be Determined...  PM isn't going to take Judas Priest.. I think we all know that.. if they didn't take Metaliica....  and we know why Metalica isn't here.. so PR is probably a pipe dream as well
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:04
Make no mistake, I  LOVE Priest, but I think adding them to PM would be quite a stretch, and that would mean moving Iron Maiden as well (sorry, Mike, I know you don't agree, and I don't want to reopen the controversySmile). Moreover, as others said before me, Metallica should be added way before them, especially because of the influence they had on the likes of Dream Theater.

However, if I have to be perfectly honest, I don't think it's a good idea to add either band. If I could go back in time, I would never add Iron Maiden again, because the backlash was really excessive, and rather unpleasant as well. Let's face it, there is enough hostility about Prog-Metal as it is to force bands like Priest or Metallica down the throats of he more conservative members of the site.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:14
^ I think the thread connecting Priest/Metallica to prog metal is on unsolid ground anyway. I can see the likes of Dream Theater being influenced by Metal and Prog and then synthesizing them into what they made. The end result is worthy of being on this site, but the original Metal element isn't. In my mind, Metallica, even disregarding those they influenced, should not be on this site. Long songs with solos and rhythm changes do not a prog (related) album make (or do they....?) Early Metallica was thrash and heavy metal, not much more. And post-Justice Metallica...do we need to even go there?

But this is a discussion for another thread, I guess...
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:15
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Make no mistake, I  LOVE Priest, but I think adding them to PM would be quite a stretch, and that would mean moving Iron Maiden as well (sorry, Mike, I know you don't agree, and I don't want to reopen the controversySmile). Moreover, as others said before me, Metallica should be added way before them, especially because of the influence they had on the likes of Dream Theater.

However, if I have to be perfectly honest, I don't think it's a good idea to add either band. If I could go back in time, I would never add Iron Maiden again, because the backlash was really excessive, and rather unpleasant as well. Let's face it, there is enough hostility about Prog-Metal as it is to force bands like Priest or Metallica down the throats of he more conservative members of the site.

But I think Maiden belongs here. I mean, Powerslave and Somewhere in Time had their inclinations, but Seventh Son and especially the post-reunion albums have been fully prog. In fact I don't know why they're in related when Blind Guardian, who have 1.5-2 full prog albums are under full PM. Priest certainly qualifies for related, though I agree adding them would almost be more trouble than it's worth. But I still say that Maiden and Metallica could go under full PM. Priest has about 3.5 albums of really proggy stuff, but a lot more standard metal fare, so I would shove them into PR just to avoid a bigger backlash.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:19
Probably no surprise to any one, but I have no objection to Metallica or Iron Maiden either for the same reasons as I would like Judas Priest here.  Of course, I have no idea what the specifics are that distinguish a metal band from a prog metal band.  I am sure that there are certain elements that the collabs are looking for that are beyond my realm of knowledge.  If the Prog Metal team rejects them, then my next step would be to ask the admins to include them in PR.  If they vote against including them then so be it.  I love Judas Priest and I would love to be able to review their albums on PA.  In case anyone is interested I have done some mini-reviews on Mike's website. 

And although I perceive progressiveness in some to most of their albums, I accept that they are a heavy metal band after Sin After Sin and not a progressive band.  But I feel that at least an argument can be made that their first two and possibly three albums (and as mentioned later some of Painkiller) are progressive.  Site guidelines say that if a band has 1 prog album then they should be included.  I know that this guideline upsets some members, but that is not my rule, that is the site owners' rule. 

And since this is the song currently playing, as much as I would like to see the Priest here, I suspect that Some Heads Are Gonna Roll, or at least there will be plenty of eye rolls at this suggestion.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:31
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Probably no surprise to any one, but I have no objection to Metallica or Iron Maiden either for the same reasons as I would like Judas Priest here.  Of course, I have no idea what the specifics are that distinguish a metal band from a prog metal band.

I sympathize with your opinion about Judas Priest - but as you said yourself in your comment about Rocka Rolla: They were most progressive in their early years when they weren't a metal band. By the time the NWoBHM started they were much less progressive. So the specific reason why they don't fit in PM is that during their metal phase they were simply not progressive enough.

I am sure that there are certain elements that the collabs are looking for that are beyond my realm of knowledge.  If the Prog Metal team rejects them, then my next step would be to ask the admins to include them in PR.  If they vote against including them then so be it.  I love Judas Priest and I would love to be able to review their albums on PA.  In case anyone is interested I have done some mini-reviews on Mike's website.

Your mini reviews are all available through the link I posted above ... together with a progressiveness chart of their discography.Smile

And although I perceive progressiveness in some to most of their albums, I accept that they are a heavy metal band after Sin After Sin and not a progressive band.  But I feel that at least an argument can be made that their first two and possibly three albums (and as mentioned later some of Painkiller) are progressive.  Site guidelines say that if a band has 1 prog album then they should be included.  I know that this guideline upsets some members, but that is not my rule, that is the site owners' rule.

Still, it remains to be seen how progressive their early albums really are ... in my opinion they're prog related, in your opinion they're prog, and from the many discussion about them I recall some people share my opinion, some share yours. Let's see!

And since this is the song currently playing, as much as I would like to see the Priest here, I suspect that Some Heads Are Gonna Roll, or at least there will be plenty of eye rolls at this suggestion.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:35
If this happens (and it will), David Bowie will... no, he'll probably just stay right where he is, swimming on lots of money...
ĦBeware of the Bee!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:42
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

If this happens (and it will), David Bowie will... no, he'll probably just stay right where he is, swimming on lots of money...

that isn't exactly constructive ..and has been the problem with trying to discuss bands like this.  Those kind of statements.

First off.. for reasons already stated...  Judas Priest has a slight chance of being here and has nothing to do whatsoever with Bowie.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:44
If we keep this up, we'll soon have AC/DC and Def Lepard here aswell!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:47
^ my point exactly.... I'd suggest listening to the damn albums.. and if you still think they sound like AC/DC or Def Leppard... well....  hahahhahah.. .
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:47
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

If we keep this up, we'll soon have AC/DC and Def Lepard here aswell!

Both good bands, but neither of them released 1 album that could possibly be considered prog.  If you have read the other posts in the thread, there is at least argument that Judas Priest have released potentially 2 to 3 1/2 prog albums.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:57
Mike, You said "They were most progressive in their early years when they weren't a metal band." 

Does that comment suggest that they should be in a non-Metal prog rock category?  As in the first couple of albums might be prog rock instead of prog metal.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 12:04
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Mike, You said "They were most progressive in their early years when they weren't a metal band." 

Does that comment suggest that they should be in a non-Metal prog rock category?  As in the first couple of albums might be prog rock instead of prog metal.

interesting...  pulling out the albums...  if not metal.. then it comes my way...LOL
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 12:05
I've always thought of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest as the metal blueprint. It's interesting to hear someone say that they're progressive because it makes me wonder what metal *wouldn't* be progressive when so many subsequent bands are based on their style... o:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>