Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The most successful modern prog music nation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most successful modern prog music nation?
    Posted: January 08 2024 at 07:39

Who do you think is the most successful modern progressive music nation, and on what basis do you think so? 
- I'm not just asking about your favourite. Smile

Edit: By "modern", I mean post-1990s.

Edited by David_D - January 09 2024 at 02:10
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 08:38
USA. In my opinion, they have the most quality and quantity of modern prog.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:00
Unfortunately the war is having its bad impact, but both Ukraine and Russia were making excellent prog
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:08
The UK, obviously! Because we’re the best at everything, right?

That’s still true, right?!🤔

Hmmmm….,
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:41
Nowadays, I'd say USA
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:48
Norway or UK to me
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:50
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Nowadays, I'd say USA

How?! Confused Other than some fusion and some progressive metal, I don't see it. 
Criswell View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Criswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 10:04
USA & Italy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 10:30
It's hard to say, since there are so many sub-genres in prog these days. Italy, UK, USA, Germany, Sweden, etc, all have many good bands. Depending on what kind of prog you are into, the result could be quite different.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 10:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Nowadays, I'd say USA

How?! Confused Other than some fusion and some progressive metal, I don't see it. 

The U.S. has a number of contemporary bands producing quality prog in a wide variety of styles. It sort of comes down to what one means by successful.

If you measure success by number of artists, variety of styles, musicianship, and quality of music, the USA does well in these areas. If you are looking success as album and ticket sales, maybe not.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 11:34

Nowadays, I'd say USA

If we look only at the Coniguliaro brothers output of music. Eyeless Owl, Wyxz, In-Dreamview, The Filibuster Saloon, Wippy Bonstack, and Sun Colored Chair. All these projects are a breath of fresh air for the prog world. None are fusion or progressive metal. Of course, there is plenty more. What has Scandinavian prog given us but mostly retro bands?

What country do you choose, Cristi?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - January 08 2024 at 11:36
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 11:39
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Nowadays, I'd say USA

If we look only at the Coniguliaro brothers output of music. Wyxz, In-Dreamview, The Filibuster Saloon, Wippy Bonstack, and Sun Colored Chair. All these projects are a breath of fresh air for the prog world. None are fusion or progressive metal. Of course, there is plenty more. What has Scandinavian prog given us but mostly retro bands?

What country do you choose, Cristi?

I honestly do not know. I also find the question unimportant. The country an artist is from does not matter much to me. If I enjoy the music, that's all that matters. How would I even assess the most successful country? Is it the number of bands that have become popular? Confused The country with the biggest number of popular bands is the most successful country?! Confused

Edited by Cristi - January 08 2024 at 12:09
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 11:54
If it’s a numbers game, they should perhaps be adjusted for population numbers.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 12:08
Norway by miles
auxfnx View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote auxfnx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 12:12
I think France has to be in consideration with the entire Dur et Doux roster making waves in recent years. https://duretdoux.bandcamp.com/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 12:16
The question is open-ended. By modern, are we walking about 1980 and later? 1990 and later? 2000 and later? 2020 and later?

In recent years I have found the most quality coming from the avant and eclectic bands from the US and France. I want to also add Japan because everything Tatsuya Yoshida touches is gold, but I don't think the quantity is as much as those two countries.

If we're talking about sales, I suspect it would be UK. If we're talking about overall from 1990 onwards, I'd be inclined to say Sweden and Italy.

I'm not a calculator. I'm a cabbage with a protractor.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 14:33
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

If you measure success by number of artists, variety of styles, musicianship, and quality of music, the USA does well in these areas. If you are looking success as album and ticket sales, maybe not.

very good considerations Thumbs Up
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 14:34
norway.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 14:38
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

The question is open-ended. By modern, are we walking about 1980 and later? 1990 and later? 2000 and later? 2020 and later?

post-1990s

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

If we're talking about sales, I suspect it would be UK.

interesting information

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 16:18
It's definitely either Sweden or Norway imo. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 08 2024 at 16:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>