Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedU.S. Supreme Court Considers Gay Marriage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>
Poll Question: What is your opinion on this?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [73.33%]
1 [1.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [10.67%]
9 [12.00%]
2 [2.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 11:34
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Nothing.  Other than the church getting bad publicity.

I think it will be a mess...
I don't.  I assume that there was once a time when churches wouldn't perform interracial marriages or for that matter African American marriages but that came to an end.  At least mostly, although I think I did see a recent case where a pastor refused to perform an interracial marriage. I don't believe that they will have any legal ground to force a church to marry them.  What will eventually happen though is the churches will be branded as bigots and those who continue to attend those churches will be branded as bigots and people will have to decide whether or not they like that branding.  If enough people don't they will either leave the church or force the church to change.  Otherwise, it will be business as usual.  If the church won't marry you, then you will have to find a church or government official that will.

I wouldn't be so sure that churches aren't going to get federal pressure to perform gay marriages; there have already been instances in the US where the government tries to force churches and religious groups into acting contrarily to their beliefs.  Personally, I would have to think twice about voting for any gay marriage legalization act that didn't include legal protections for institutions that elected not to perform gay marriages.

Give me one instance where the government has tried to force churches and religious groups to do something in the performance of their religious duties that runs contrary to their religious beliefs.  Yes, the government has made religions adhere to generally applicable laws in the performance of things like their duties as employers, but not in the performance of actual religious duties.

Point taken.  I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 11:15

I don't.  I assume that there was once a time when churches wouldn't perform interracial marriages or for that matter African American marriages but that came to an end.  At least mostly, although I think I did see a recent case where a pastor refused to perform an interracial marriage. I don't believe that they will have any legal ground to force a church to marry them.  What will eventually happen though is the churches will be branded as bigots and those who continue to attend those churches will be branded as bigots and people will have to decide whether or not they like that branding.  If enough people don't they will either leave the church or force the church to change.  Otherwise, it will be business as usual.  If the church won't marry you, then you will have to find a church or government official that will.

I wouldn't be so sure that churches aren't going to get federal pressure to perform gay marriages; there have already been instances in the US where the government tries to force churches and religious groups into acting contrarily to their beliefs.  Personally, I would have to think twice about voting for any gay marriage legalization act that didn't include legal protections for institutions that elected not to perform gay marriages.

Give me one instance where the government has tried to force churches and religious groups to do something in the performance of their religious duties that runs contrary to their religious beliefs.  Yes, the government has made religions adhere to generally applicable laws in the performance of things like their duties as employers, but not in the performance of actual religious duties.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 11:00

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:58

Great insight and post- I hope you're rightTongue

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:54

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:42

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:39
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:36
Here is a huge issue- What happens when a church denies a same-sex couple- and that couple sues the church??

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:33
And as exitthelemming says and not to stereotype at all the divorces will be messy.

More seriously . The argument always seems to come down to marriage being for having children. This always seems disingenuous to me.
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:20
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I just don't understand why anyone would deny homosexuals the same right to be miserable as heterosexuals.  Makes no sense to me.  Tongue

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of misery, right? Wink
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 09:49
I just don't understand why anyone would deny homosexuals the same right to be miserable as heterosexuals.  Makes no sense to me.  Tongue
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 06:54
For one, the case that was in front of the Supreme Court regarding the DOMA law was about tax.  The Estate Tax.  The case is entirely about the surviving woman having to pay Estate tax on her spouse's estate when she died instead of being allowed to have the estate assets pass to her tax free from one spouse to another as is allowed for legally recognized marriages.  But I agree, it is only one factor in the debate.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 04:38
It's not about tax (why does everything here have to be whittled down to being about tax?). It is about "next of kin", inheritance and the rights of live-in partners to have the same rights as a spouse with regard to decisions made on medical care and funeral arrangements. In the absence of a legal spouse, next-of-kin in the USA only follows the bloodline. We don't have this problem in the UK as it has no legal status - anyone can be nominated as "next-of-kin" regardless of whether they are a blood relative.
What?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 00:17
Seems silly to give it to only heterosexual couples (putting it mildly). Since there are tax and other benefits to marriage government confers, it should apply to people of all genders. Taxes and government's involvement in marriage aren't going away, so I think the small-government idea of getting government out of marriage is a talking point pipe dream more than a possible reality.

So, to me there is only one option: gays should be allowed to marry.

This whole ruckus is very similar to the previous uproar we heard over gays serving openly in the military. "It'll uproot the institutions!" "Chaos will follow!" No, and no. Marriage will be fine. Gays will raise children just as well and poorly as straight couples.

The only ones that will feel the earth pull from beneath their feet are the wanna be totalitarians who think their religion should be overlord of us all.  

Edited by stonebeard - March 29 2013 at 00:19
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 23:33
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Raises the question whether wild animals can be unnatural. Homosexualiy exists almost everywhere in the animal world, and just because we have the power of reflection doesn't take away from the fact that we, not so long ago, were swinging from the trees as well.
Natural or it's socalled opposite, at least on a basic human level, will always be dictated by the individual and culture. What may seem natural to Bill, possibly feels absurd to Abdi.

They don't get married though

huahohouahohahaha

ban marriage
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 23:15
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Epig, MoM, and King of Loss have already articulated my political position on this issue.  Marriage is a function of individuals/communities and in no way should be regulated by either federal or state governments.  The very fact that the state attempts to define what "marriage" is shows that they have overstepped the proper bounds of their responsibilities.  I personally oppose gay marriage on moral grounds, but it's none of my business or the government's business to prevent two men or two women from getting married.  Their action doesn't affect me in any way.

The Supreme Court case is an entirely different issue, however.  I can understand how they might declare DOMA unconstitutional (goes way beyond the boundaries of the constitution) but it would be patently ridiculous if they made up a "constitutional right" for gay marriage that quite obviously does not exist.

voted other, btw

It's interesting that you don't tell us what those moral objections are. Perhaps it's just none of our business but I suspect you must be a christian to take this view. (and similarly to your political stance, a scripture of your choice articulates your position?)

Yes, I'm a Christian, and my views on homosexuality are based upon Scripture.  Romans 1 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 clearly deem homosexual acts to be sinful, in my opinion.  The passages don't explicitly say why homosexual behavior is condemned as sin, but I think the implication is that homosexual sex/marriage is a rebellion against the way God created sex and marriage to work.
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 23:04
Beer
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 23:02
 Clap
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 22:59
If two men or two women love each other, then they will love each other regardless of marriage rights or any other kind of beliefs that are held by other members of the human race. The debate of marriage is only a representation of the bigger picture. While I understand and live by the concept of subjectivity, people need to realise that if two people love each other, than we should allow them the right to marry. This is not because all people who love each other should marry, it is because recognising gay people and the love they share will promote equality and tolerance. Legally recognising gay marriage will not make more people become homosexual, it will mean that gay people will feel accepted, and that is what is important.

Preaching your beliefs is not going to stop people from being homosexual. People being homosexual is not going to stop you from having your beliefs. Acceptance is a two way street. 

Love is love. 

Love will find a way Heart

I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 21:05
Raises the question whether wild animals can be unnatural. Homosexualiy exists almost everywhere in the animal world, and just because we have the power of reflection doesn't take away from the fact that we, not so long ago, were swinging from the trees as well.
Natural or it's socalled opposite, at least on a basic human level, will always be dictated by the individual and culture. What may seem natural to Bill, possibly feels absurd to Abdi.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>