Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConsider uniting subgenre teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 18:25
While I AM a big supporter of certain decision made by the Supreme Court this past week (about time I say...) that comes from a general point of view that all humans are of equal worth, and not due to orientation I'm afraid ;-)

The only love fests I'm ever involved with will only have one other participant, one I've been married to for 12 years now *chuckles*
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 18:18
^ pffff...

I suggest this... after 16 minutes of this.. we'll be having a collab lovefest.. hell it would be an orgy if the guys here saw me dressed to the 9's in a skirt and heels!!! LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 18:15
If tempers should run too hot, may I recommend spending some time with this most excellent album?

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:53
I saw that Hugues...  perhaps you didn't hear I nearly decked Patrick Forgas when (having a few beers at Nearfest) I saw him kissing Raff.  That would have been.. interesting.. a helluva story at least
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:51
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh no...  no hard feelings...  we laugh about it now. Though yeah.. don't get on her bad side. It is a bad place to be. LOL  MMA?  I only remember one person involved with that fiasco, and it wasn't you.

She used to get upset when some always mentionned the camora or the mano nera or cosas nostras, but you make it sound like her Italian blood can't hideTongueWink

JK, RaffHug

oh you have not anything as sexy as hot blooded Raff when she gets riled up.. oh my..Heart at long as it isn't at me..

well.. actually even when she is furious with me.. god she still looks so damn sexy even as she teaches me every foul Italian word there is to be had at the top of her lungs LOL Hubba f**king hubba..
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:50
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

actually, I can't remember that former event you're speaking of, save your (hopefully not too bruised) egoTongueLOL

Al Zheimer is my middle name

Nice!!!! Clap  Far be it for me to remind you...  I'll let you twist in the wind for not remembering your trespasses on the 'satanic couple'. ClapClap  It was a long time ago, if not for Raff, I would have forgotten it as well.  LOLLOL

I figured that Raff still has some kind of hard feeling about this. We went (sadly) from confident to foes in less than a year and then there was the MMA incident... not sure how that developped, coz I liked her.

Not at all, HuguesSmile. I behaved stupidly that time, and taking a long break from the site was the right thing to do. Nowadays I keep my hard feelings for those who have tried to do me real harm (and unfortunately there have been a few in the past couple of years), and certainly not for spates over things that are not so important in the grand scheme of things. No hard feelings whatsoever... We live and learn.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:48
HugBeerHandshakeSick

whatever happened to this site anyway... it used to be revolvers at 10 paces at the slightest provocation...LOLWink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:46

oh no...  no hard feelings...  we laugh about it now. Though yeah.. don't get on her bad side. It is a bad place to be. LOL  MMA?  I only remember one person involved with that fiasco, and it wasn't you.

She used to get upset when some always mentionned the camora or the mano nera or cosas nostras, but you make it sound like her Italian blood can't hideTongueWink

JK, RaffHug
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:44

actually, I can't remember that former event you're speaking of, save your (hopefully not too bruised) egoTongueLOL

Nice!!!! Clap  Far be it for me to remind you...  I'll let you twist in the wind for not remembering your trespasses on the 'satanic couple'. ClapClap  It was a long time ago, if not for Raff, I would have forgotten it as well.  LOLLOL

I figured that Raff still has some kind of hard feeling about this. We went (sadly) from confident to foes in less than a year and then there was the MMA incident... not sure how that developped, coz I liked her.

Not at all, HuguesSmile. I behaved stupidly that time, and taking a long break from the site was the right thing to do. Nowadays I keep my hard feelings for those who have tried to do me real harm (and unfortunately there have been a few in the past couple of years), and certainly not for spates over things that are not so important in the grand scheme of things. No hard feelings whatsoever... We live and learn.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:28

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:22

Edited by micky - June 28 2015 at 17:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:14

NICE!!!  so you DOUBLE DIPPED being a bad boy. LOL Well played sir!!!  A collab after my heart. Clap

We didn't know about that one. Yeah, we both thought you were talking about the earlier one.

Good job sir!!! LOL

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Re: The Abelians, we of the ZARTeam should have checked them out - I first and foremost. Sorry about that, but things have been somewhat stressful in my camp, and that has taken a toll on my enthusiasm for the things I generally like.

Actually, the ZART team is probably the last one I would've thought about for The Abelians (they haven't much to do with suffism), reallyWink

Edited by Sean Trane - June 28 2015 at 17:16
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 16:55
Re: The Abelians, we of the ZARTeam should have checked them out - I first and foremost. Sorry about that, but things have been somewhat stressful in my camp, and that has taken a toll on my enthusiasm for the things I generally like.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 16:32
NICE!!!  so you DOUBLE DIPPED being a bad boy. LOL Well played sir!!!  A collab after my heart. Clap

We didn't know about that one. Yeah, we both thought you were talking about the earlier one.

Good job sir!!! LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 16:28

I've paid the price for doing something of the kind some two or three years with a band that was simply & totally unthinkable it didn't belong on the DB.

LMAO!!!  oh I remember that particulary fun episode of... PA's: As the Genre Teams Turn.  as does a certain raving Italian beauty that would have strung you up by your thumbs if you had been within reach. She forgets nothing...  then again.. do women ever forget anything LOL It was more than 2 to 3 years ago.. that was the old AR team you f**ked with. LOL That was a team you didn't mess with, it was the '27 Yankees of genre teams.

Personally I got a kick out of your part of that ... my anger was directed towards the admin who stuck their nose in something they had no business being in.

Oh no, you're way off the bat on this oneTongue... I don't think your "satanic couple" was roaming anymore around these premises at the time of this incident... LOL

This was about adding some Ackerfeld and XYZ (Wilson, I think) project taking ages for inclusion... and when Squackett was taking as much time , I rode my high horses about the first and jumped the hedge (well four at a time, actuallyEmbarrassed) and included the second under" various artistes", while the SC throng finally came to a decision, not that this took a big task to change genres afterwards..

It seemed to me so evident and urgent that such indisputable additions needed to be entered in the DB ASAP - all the other sites had included them a long time ago - and furthermore, who cares what genre they were thrown in in a first step ... Not that I cared or even bought either albumsLOL

And then I told everyone that if this "behaviour" (I'm being diplomatic todayBig smileEmbarrassed) kept on, I'd add more without even warning. That's when I got nailed by the adminsOuch, some of whom where only waiting for the occasion to teach me a lesson. Not that I cared at all about the star system or demotionErmm, but I had no way to add or correct someting in the DBOuch

ok, enough drying the laundry (since it's been washed a while ago) in publicWink , but this goes to show that the present debate bring back that frustration of not being able to add something undisputably prog quickly , still today.

I'm thinking  of The Abelians (undisputely prog, but the addfition is stuck in PA's teams kafkaian meanders >> they are difficult to pigeonhole, though) and Story of a Life (who's been discarded as fusion not prog enough, while this is prog wh-itgh a slight fusion twist)... and to a lesser extent the amazing Santana-esque Chango, whose two albums are proggier that Santana's first three albums

Edited by Sean Trane - June 28 2015 at 16:40
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 08:14

I've paid the price for doing something of the kind some two or three years with a band that was simply & totally unthinkable it didn't belong on the DB.

LMAO!!!  oh I remember that particulary fun episode of... PA's: As the Genre Teams Turn.  as does a certain raving Italian beauty that would have strung you up by your thumbs if you had been within reach. She forgets nothing...  then again.. do women ever forget anything LOL It was more than 2 to 3 years ago.. that was the old AR team you f**ked with. LOL That was a team you didn't mess with, it was the '27 Yankees of genre teams.

Personally I got a kick out of your part of that ... my anger was directed towards the admin who stuck their nose in something they had no business being in.

Edited by micky - June 28 2015 at 08:15
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 07:40

Ok, I've shut up for a few days as to let others chime in and not monopolize the debate. Didn't even read the thread until a few minutes ago.

same here. Then again, I've been busy spamming the forum Clap
Olav, no-one doubts of your incredible faith and involvment, but health issues are more important than a virtual site. So take care of yourself.

Indeed.  Real life is stress enough, the site here should be a escape, not an addition to it. Reason 1 why I left, was gone for years, and have no interest in re-immerse myself in it. It is peaceful now, best leave it that way.  LOL

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

What about allowing SCs who are on teams to simply add bands at their discretion instead of voting; that way the addition process would speed up a bit but would still be limited to those SCs on teams with jurisdiction over a certain subgenre.   

I feel this solution would actually work within the team I still participate to. AAMOF, I only intervene when Bob & Ken can't untie the the vote. But if I understand well, it doesn't mean that someone from JR/F team could add an Eclectic prog entry.

Short of a more comprehensive tweak.. I think David's suggestion was a excellent modification to the addition process. That however is purely a matter for each team to decide. Nothing has ever stopped any team from doing that, none do or have as best as I remember. We all sort of went with a certain model of team operation.. and stuck with it.

I'd tend to think that there are three or four genres where where the interpretation could be a problem... Basically those are stemming from the breaking up and separating bthe old Art Rock genre into crossover, heavy & eclectic. Ditto for the Progmetal subgenres.

Interpretation and genre placement has always been an issue which it comes to prog.  Pounding square bands into round holes as I always called it. It is why we did create the new genres we did. Not as much to definatively state.. X is Y.  NO!!  That was never the goal. The goal was, at least under my guidance, not to say we are saying X is Y. It again all boils down to the fact, that what we do has one purpose. To serve the site and its USERS.  It is placing bands logically together to facilatate discovery by the unwashed masses hereLOL.  That was primary argument with RPI, which coupled with the obvious 'historical validity' notion is exactly why we were allowed to create it. We have a bunch of musically dissimilar groups there but it worked because the RPI explorer doesn't care about percentage of symph in this band versus percentage of symph in that band. The bands naturally fit together and discovery of one naturally leads to others.

Is there or has there really been any defined interpretation to the genres. Not really, it was always about 'feel' intuition.

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Worthwhile proposition, certainly. Maybe the SC can add bands they are absolutely sure belong in a given sub genre and give the ones they aren't sure of to the team for voting.

Mhh...!!!!... indeed, this would be the solution that I'd like, but I suspect that....

It is the best solution for many reasons which I've sort of posted already... but I suspect that....

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Seeing how much discussion we have within the team we have I'd see an overall vetting team being even more contentious.

I wouldn't call Roger's idea vetoing the team, but I suspect that some teams would not be too happy if I added XYZ to RIO/Avant or Neoprog or JR/F (or any other genre FTM) without consulting the teams concerned.

the health of the forest is secondary to the concern for the trees within one's property. Natural and understandable.. but we are discussing ways to improve the site. One has to look at the big picture. Are bands not getting added here? If not.. then either you ignore it... to give a virtual f**k you .. your bad luck to those screwed by the system in place. .or you address the problem and give solutions.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 18:57
Ok, I've shut up for a few days as to let others chime in and not monopolize the debate. Didn't even read the thread until a few minutes ago.

Olav, no-one doubts of your incredible faith and involvment, but health issues are more important than a virtual site. So take care of yourself.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

What about allowing SCs who are on teams to simply add bands at their discretion instead of voting; that way the addition process would speed up a bit but would still be limited to those SCs on teams with jurisdiction over a certain subgenre.   

I feel this solution would actually work within the team I still participate to. AAMOF, I only intervene when Bob & Ken can't untie the the vote. But if I understand well, it doesn't mean that someone from JR/F team could add an Eclectic prog entry.

I'd tend to think that there are three or four genres where where the interpretation could be a problem... Basically those are stemming from the breaking up and separating bthe old Art Rock genre into crossover, heavy & eclectic. Ditto for the Progmetal subgenres

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Worthwhile proposition, certainly. Maybe the SC can add bands they are absolutely sure belong in a given sub genre and give the ones they aren't sure of to the team for voting.

Mhh...!!!!... indeed, this would be the solution that I'd like, but I suspect that....

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Seeing how much discussion we have within the team we have I'd see an overall vetting team being even more contentious.

I wouldn't call Roger's idea vetoing the team, but I suspect that some teams would not be too happy if I added XYZ to RIO/Avant or Neoprog or JR/F (or any other genre FTM) without consulting the teams concerned.

Edited by Sean Trane - June 27 2015 at 18:59
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 10:04
As someone who also had major health problems recently (and still dealing with them), I wish all of you well.
No web site is worth killing yourself over.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>