Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do the people you know think of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mellowtron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 22:14
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Originally posted by Mellowtron Mellowtron wrote:

Unfortunately, trying to show other people this music is rather difficult. The last couple times I tried to play King Crimson's first album to a couple of ladies, they got completely freaked out by the cover art....LOL

I don't blame them, maybe you should have just played the music and not shown them the cover. I find that album cover to be pretty revolting myself. Tongue

Yeah that cover was definitely a product of its time during the psychedelic era. I have no idea why Crimson went with that cover. Then again, Crimson's always seemed to focus more on the music than visuals.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 10:29
Most of the people I know don't think of prog.
They may like some prog but don't even realize it...

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 17 2016 at 10:31
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 10:21
Most hate it, but if people ask what I'm listening to and whats with all the festivals I'm happy to tell them and give them samples of the stuff I like. Often there is dislike and bewilderment but occasionally I get a good reaction and people ask what else to check out. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 06:16
my coworkers love it. I am always chosen to provide music at work. Mainly because I choose the good stuff, not the popular stuff LOL

Do they know it is ..prog.. probably not. They are for the most part a younger group for who tags and labels don't really mean sh*t. All they care about is whether it is good music or not. Probably another reason why I am always chosen to provide the music for our work days... one moment it is ADII, next one it is Dionne Warwick, the next is likely Battiato.  I could care less about 'prog'... I just love good music myself.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 23:44
Originally posted by Mellowtron Mellowtron wrote:

Unfortunately, trying to show other people this music is rather difficult. The last couple times I tried to play King Crimson's first album to a couple of ladies, they got completely freaked out by the cover art....LOL

I don't blame them, maybe you should have just played the music and not shown them the cover. I find that album cover to be pretty revolting myself. Tongue
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 23:10
And to make matters worse, not a lot of people know about prog, especially since it's more of an underground scene nowadays. The almost universal response to when I mention that I like prog is "Oh, so you like Dream Theater?" Not that there's anything wrong with Dream Theater, but there's more than just Dream Theater in the prog scene. 

And if they don't know about prog, people usually get disinterested when I play them some prog. Maybe it's just not the same as the current pop stuff they're accustomed to that ends up turning them off. Heck, I don't know. Yes, prog can be outside the box of dance rhythms and 4 chord progressions, but that doesn't make it bad.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 22:58
My Dad listened to a lot of PG-era/ early Collins era Genesis and Peter Gabriel's solo stuff, as well as some Rush, Zappa and Steve Hackett. So he's big fan of that music as are his brothers (and my uncles).My Mom and siblings aren't really into it, although my brother is really into Pink Floyd, Blind Guardian and Iced Earth. 

As for the guys in my band, the baritone guitarist is a big fan of the classic prog groups, as well as newer stuff like Leprous, Haken, and Frost*. The other two band members are more into jazz, but they liked the YouTube links of Crimson's Lark's Tongue in Aspic and In the Court of the Crimson King I sent them a while back. One of them even listened to Supper's Ready!

comascape View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2016 at 13:53
My daughter (11) seems to enjoy quite a bit of it. I will catch her humming along to Yes or Uriah Heep. My wife says that it gives her a headache because she has to think too much while listening to it. I told her that was what I liked about it specifically. She does like some, though. She will listen to Tool and Ian Anderson. I took her to a Jethro Tull concert when we first started dating and she has loved Ian ever since. We both agree it was "the best concert ever". My dad brought me up on it, but he doesn't listen to it too much any more.
"You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life."
-Salvador Dali
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 15:38
I mentioned to a guy not too long ago that I hang out at House Of Prog and he thought Prog was Prague. heheheh
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 13:33
Most of my friends don't even know what prog is. If I play something they think it's weird, but they also think The Beatles, Stones, Queen and Zeppelin are "weird". Even if they're bigger than anything they listen to. There are two friends of mine that are mainly metalheads that like a few prog bands though.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 12:31
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Most of my friends either have no idea what prog is... or they just don't like it. Or better yet... whenever I bring up bands such as Atmosphera, Ache or Tai Phong, they're like... "????????????"

Hell.....most of the people I know never heard of King Crimson.

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 10:27
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

^Well, these three bands are rather obscure, don't you think?
True... I think I might be one of those who like very specific stuff, that's not present in what most people, evern prog listeners, know... which might make me an ever bigger nerd.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 05:28
^Well, these three bands are rather obscure, don't you think?
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 18:38
Most of my friends either have no idea what prog is... or they just don't like it. Or better yet... whenever I bring up bands such as Atmosphera, Ache or Tai Phong, they're like... "????????????"
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 18:10
Most of my friends think i'm crazy and they always ask me how i have the patience to listen to 20-40 minute songs. My dad likes prog. but not as much as I do.  
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 16:01
I still have people ask me what prog rock means when I mention it......I tell them progressive rock and then they ask me again.

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 11:50
One of my friend thought "prog rock" meant "programmed rock" Big smile
secret84truths View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 11:03
It depends on the type of progressive rock that they listen: they mostly think that prog is boring, without a point, a pointless sequence of riffs and solos. Maybe it is possible to let people "taste" progressive rock with the help of sweet and melodic songs, the shorter the better, or listening prog music near to heavy metal (I think that the majority of casual prog listeners are more accostumed to this kind of music).
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 09:40
Every time the new issue of Prog magazine shows up here at the office I have at least one co-worker ask me "what is Prog?' So there's that.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 05:58
While being surrounded by musicians (my two brothers, their friends/pals/musicians, and some people I know), progressive rock is NOT the subject I would dare to discuss with them.
On the other hand, I'm not even sure I could discuss jazz or metal with them, so prog-rock... Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>