Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Redux 2023
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Redux 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 11:43
Honestly, it's made many of us go and re evaluate the original in a better light.
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 11:30
Roger did NOT do this classic album any favours with his moody re-interpretation. I found it hard to listen through.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 11:25
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ would be interesting to compare it to what other great musicians put out when they are/were close to 80 years old.

Yes, Roger just turned 80 in September and that's surely something to celebrate. After all, I don't know of any musicians who are still Rocking All Over the World at the grand old age of 80. Not even Status Quo. Smile

I just listened to; well, more like endured it, and I have to say you are really stretching the word "rocking".

Maybe next he'll do Animals in Esperanto to sound even more like William Shatner.

Do a search...there are many
Jagger, Mcartney, Willie Nelson, Dylan, Neil Young...just to name a few ......and they actually play rock.Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - October 08 2023 at 11:26
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 10:26
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Are you saying the prog rock did not rock in Prague?

Prog in Prague is not pragmatic. That's my prognosis. 

Edited by The Dark Elf - October 08 2023 at 10:27
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 09:37
^We'll give it a month, and see where it's at
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 09:36
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

People here are kinder towards the album than folks on RYM, it's got a 1.52 on there

I think once the album will get a few ratings and reviews, the rating on PA will be low as well. Maybe not 1.50 low, but still low. I would rate it low as well. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 09:21
People here are kinder towards the album than folks on RYM, it's got a 1.52 on there

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 23:18
Are you saying the prog rock did not rock in Prague?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 21:34

^ would be interesting to compare it to what other great musicians put out when they are/were close to 80 years old.

Yes, Roger just turned 80 in September and that's surely something to celebrate. After all, I don't know of any musicians who are still Rocking All Over the World at the grand old age of 80. Not even Status Quo. Smile

I just listened to; well, more like endured it, and I have to say you are really stretching the word "rocking".

Not really. Roger Waters has incredible stamina for a man of his age. I've just been watching an 80-year old Roger  rocking Live in Prague for two and a half hours in 2023, when most folks of Roger's age would rather be at home asleep in their rocking chairs. Smile

What he does in Prague not withstanding, the album does not rock. Not even a little.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 20:31

Not really. Roger Waters has incredible stamina for a man of his age. I've just been watching an 80-year old Roger  rocking Live in Prague for two and a half hours in 2023, when most folks of Roger's age would rather be at home asleep in their rocking chairs. Smile

I would rather he was asleep in his rocking chair
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 19:54

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Sorry but comparing the cringe-worthy with the gag-worthy is about as appealing as smelling the excrement in my doggie bags that i leave in the park.

Ok, making a mental note to never read any of your reviews. The hatred might be contagious.

Only for has-been rock stars who continue to recycle classics for $$$. Age is not an issue. David Bowie cranked out one of his best for his last days. Hearing a remake of Dark Side of the Moon is about as appealing as vomit popcycles. Don't worry i won't be reviewing or even listening to anything Roger Waters related. Even his peak solo stuff was just mediocre IMHo.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 17:27

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 07 2023 at 17:28
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 16:11

Maybe next he'll do Animals in Esperanto to sound even more like William Shatner.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 15:14

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 14:39
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Sorry but comparing the cringe-worthy with the gag-worthy is about as appealing as smelling the excrement in my doggie bags that i leave in the park.

Ok, making a mental note to never read any of your reviews. The hatred might be contagious.
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 14:10
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Listened to The Flaming Lips with Henry Rollins version of DSOTM today, it's quite good.

This can also be applied to The Flaming Lips discography in general. Great band. 

As for the redux I have zero interest in subjecting my ears to it. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 08:48
What if Yes went back and re-hauled CTTE? or Genesis and Foxtrot, TLLDOB, or even SEBTP, or Tull and Thick as a Brick? But all of them were missing something that made it magical, while maybe being an average or slightly below average album, but not holding a candle to the original. People wouldn't really look kindly on those

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 08:32

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 08:11

Richard Strauss continued to compose major works up until his death at 85. Pieces he composed in his late 70s and 80s include Horn Concerto No. 2, Metamorphosen, his Oboe Concerto and Four Last Songs. He completed his Four Last Songs at age 84. 

What Strauss didn't do? He did not neurotically waste his precious time and bore everyone to death with a complete rewrite of Also Sprach Zarathustra.

Mick Jagger is 80. He and his fellow octogenarian Stones just released an album of new music, Hackney Diamonds. By all accounts from reviewers, it's the best album the Stones have released in decades. 

What Jagger didn't do? He didn't rewrite Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers as funeral dirges because he felt underappreciated or unloved. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 07:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>