Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - whats your personal most pefect song ever recordd?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhats your personal most pefect song ever recordd?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 16:34
"I" by Meshuggah is pretty much the masterpiece among masterpieces, at least in metal

and... hate to be obvious... but "Close to the edge"Embarrassed
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
burtonrulez View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 14:44
I would say... 'The Bewlay Brothers' by David Bowie, a lost gem in his vast catalogue that comes pretty close to prog, and has a brilliant melody, lyrics and unexpected ending. Also it is chilling to the bone even more so than anything on 'The Man Who Sold the World'.

If I had to choose something more strictly prog it would either be 'Close to the Edge' an obviously brilliant piece of music, or 'A Farewell to Kings' which I now have an urge to listen to <runs up stairs to fetch CD>
Real Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 14:21
Well, in terms of trying to , describe a song by using its recording abilities is a bit harsh... But I guess if I would have to choose a song it would Porcupine Tree's "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here", because that song from my extensive musical collection as a lot of recording/producing techniques that would make you feel mellow and astonishingly goosebumpy at the same time ( at least it happens with me all the time hehe Big%20smile). I would certainly choose any particular song to express my congratulations to they're wonderfull and quite detailed studio work.
  Other eventual Heavy Prog bands could be thrown into this category, for exemple the artistically complicated Mars Volta (band I love a lot when it comes too full-edged live performances), because of their awkward technique of making challanging art, and then recording it very simply. I could give more accurate Univers Zero's or Henry Cow's Avant-Garde/RIO revolutionary studio albums( although I prefer not to speak so loudly about avant-garde bands when it comes to describing awsome recording techniques, because they make awsome live performances but the studio albums have quite the same audible quality, except for Magma I presume heheTongue). Well I guess that's about it.
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 12:24
Originally posted by Grimfurg Grimfurg wrote:

Kohntarkosz - Magma (part 2 to be a little bit more precise). There's something that just really gets me with this song. It's insane.

There's surely more.

You are a winner.
Grimfurg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 12:20
Kohntarkosz - Magma (part 2 to be a little bit more precise). There's something that just really gets me with this song. It's insane.

And, Heart Of The Sunrise - Yes.

There's surely more.

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 09:41
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Sorry for a boring and cliched answer, but there's a reason that Close to the Edge is a prog treasure - the title track comes as close to perfection as anything I've heard.

Even the 1st three minutes?DeadWink

Those are the best three, it goes downhill from there.

IMO, nothing with the words, "I get up, I get down" can ever be perfect.

Still a great song.

As far as the most perfect song...

After the Flood by the Talk Talk.

Just sublime.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 03:26
Monster Magnet's Cyclops Revolution. The sound effects switching between left and right speaker, the use of dynamics, the "desert punk" atmosphere, all the strength and power with which Dave Wyndorf proclaims "I'm alive, not you!"... it's the single best rock song of the early 1990s. Period.
MusicalSalmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 21:58
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The Musical Box (Nursery Cryme):

1.   Perfect Structure: Starts soft,. goes in crescendo, every section is connected perfectly with the next one and the finale is superb, ends right in the climax.
2.   Powerful Lyrics: People complained about Prog being Dungeons and Dragosn or airytales, this song lyrics are pure violence, and terror.
3.   Emotional performance: There may better voices in Prog, but the emotion that Peter Gabriel transmits is magnificent. Tony is amazing and Steve adds the perfect touch with some very aggressive guitar sections combined with softer ones, Phil and Steve are also great.

In other words, the perfect song.

Iván

Musical Box is definitely up there for me as well. Heck, that's the song that turned me into prog in the first place.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 11:56
Pilgrims - Van Der Graaf Generator of "Still Life"

A number of reasons really:
- It's not self-indulgent but you can tell they are good musicians
- Some really nice organ playing by Mr Banton, if you are a keys player, you will appreciate it for sure!
- Amazingly schizophrenic yet tuneful vocals that portray one of the best melodic lines i've ever heard
- Really quite deep lyrics, I welled up the first time i heard them because i felt the lyrics describe me in a way "unknown in our purpose; alone but not worthless at home"
- Great arrangement over two themes: theme 1 x2, theme 2, theme 1, theme 2, instrumental along melody lines of theme 2, where David Jackson and Guy Evans deserve a mention
- It feels like an epic but is a mere 7 minutes, so you don't get bored but still experience the epicness of it

I think that is all that can be said, and the song is quite simply perfect, no question. There's nothing wrong with it for me.

Edited by kibble_alex - May 01 2008 at 11:59
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 01:53

The Musical Box (Nursery Cryme):

1.   Perfect Structure: Starts soft,. goes in crescendo, every section is connected perfectly with the next one and the finale is superb, ends right in the climax.
2.   Powerful Lyrics: People complained about Prog being Dungeons and Dragosn or airytales, this song lyrics are pure violence, and terror.
3.   Emotional performance: There may better voices in Prog, but the emotion that Peter Gabriel transmits is magnificent. Tony is amazing and Steve adds the perfect touch with some very aggressive guitar sections combined with softer ones, Phil and Steve are also great.

In other words, the perfect song.

Iván

Prof. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 01:36

For most perfect prog song I would go with Jean-Michel Jarre's Equinox Pt 4, its not too long, its upbeat and never disapoints.

But as far as non-prog I would have to give it to either Thorn Tree In The Garden by Derek And The Dominos or Can't Find My Way Home by Blind Faith. Both give me goosebumps.
Lilley View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 00:52
Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Lucky, the National Anthem, How To Disappear Completely, Pyramid Song, There There. All absolutely perfect songs by the best band ever: Radiohead.

Other than them, hmmm
 How about Bliss, Citizen Erased and Map of the Problematique by Muse.
 Time, Money and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.
Thom Yorke is God, and Jonny Greenwood is Jesus
Weston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 20:18
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

Big Country never tried to be a prog band and so there is a special virtue in the fact that they did achieve perfection in one song.  It is so good that they could be given honourary prog status for this one effort. That song is Porroh Man. It has one of the best introductions of any rock song, superb vocals, incredible drumming, a marvellously complex construction in the best prog tradition and it even manages to introduce a hint of Scottish folk.

A great and sorely missed band.  Their mastery of that weird ebow effect and their fantastic song writing led me to categorize them as "progternative."  I'll have to go back and listen to Porroh Man.
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, creativity is the sincerest form of worship.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 07:48
Ontario Plates, by Do Make Say Think.
ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 02:20
Prog tends to seek perfection and there are a large number of prog songs that i could not see a way of improving. I am finding this impossible to answer. 

Big Country never tried to be a prog band and so there is a special virtue in the fact that they did achieve perfection in one song.  It is so good that they could be given honourary prog status for this one effort. That song is Porroh Man. It has one of the best introductions of any rock song, superb vocals, incredible drumming, a marvellously complex construction in the best prog tradition and it even manages to introduce a hint of Scottish folk.

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 23:24
I actually would put two pieces together as one
Autumn by the Strawbs and Epitath by KC . They are my anthems , shivering me every single time for the past 35 years or so.......Cool
Beauty Queen by Roxy Music is not far behind.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Weston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 21:55
I would have to agree that Awaken is the perfect song (above).  It has got to be just about the most climactic piece ever written.  You think it reaches a climax, but then it moves on to an even greater one, and an even greater one after that, finally culminating in Howe's seagull slide guitar effects up in the stratosphere somewhere.

If I were a smoker, I'd have to have a cigarette after that.

I've never heard a more perfect piece unless you count Beethoven's 9th, but even then I put them in the same league.

Here are others that approach perfection for me (and looking over the list I seem to favor climactic pieces):
Jethro Tull: A Passion Play (especially the last quarter or so, the "Hail! Son of kings" section)
Renaissance: Scheherezade (that last note - oh my God!)
Gentle Giant: Aspirations (pure beauty)
Genesis: Supper's Ready (another multiple climax)
It's a Beautiful Day: White Bird (not prog maybe, but a near perfect song)

I'd better quit there.  I could fill up pages -- as could all of you.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, creativity is the sincerest form of worship.
MusicalSalmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 14:23
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Les Porches De Notre Dame - Maneige

Utterly great song, merging classical, jazz and rock elements flawlessly, building up carefully to an incredibly dense polyphonic conclusion.

What a great pick, to me Les Porches is the forgotten prog epic, and I agree about every word you said! I'm not sure if it is my all-time favorite song, there is alot of competition...

If I could count all of Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh (it is essentially one piece, after all) then I would pick it. Otherwise, if I have to pick a certain track, A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers does the trick for me.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 18:11

Queen - My Fairy King

that has about all I want in music, nice changes of pace, great vocals, nice rhythm, great guitars, fabulous bass and how about that sound, just awsome. and all condensed in just 4 minutes.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Negru Voda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 13:55
Magma - Rïah Sahïltaahk

22 minutes of perfectness (notaword).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>