Message Reverse Sort Order
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 07:38
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I just call them records.

That wasn't an option but now that I think about them they were called records or albums before CDs came out.  And they still are regardless of format if an artist puts together a collection of new music.  I just wanted to poke a little fun at the younger generation that calls records in a certain format vinyls. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 07:33
^Thanks Dean for your interesting explanations.

About that phrase i already imagined more or less its meaning. I also make mine your words about the gatefold covers (now I know the correct name), I turn out having nostalgic feelings about that times. Anyway, now I have Internet which allows me knowing much better the world of music at the click of a mouse, although without that much better clicks and scratches you meant of course.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 05:09
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Just for the record, anything can be a record. Btw it's a Marillion song isn't it? If I'm right it's from an LP that I owned once in my life named "Clutching At Straws", nice Long Play it was... another double one i guess.

EDIT: By saying "double" I was meaning like a folding cover, with all the lyrics written inside.
Strictly speaking a double is an album with two discs, what you are referring to the rest of us call a gatefold. 

[the Mary-lion lyric is indeed 'just for the record' - an idiom that means 'a public statement so that my own version of the facts will be known', it does not refer to recorded music] 

LP was originally an acronym of Long Play but whereas EP  retains the 'play' as Extended Play, an LP is more commonly called a Long Player. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To answer the poll - I use the term LP or record. I dislike the word vinyl as it attained an inferred connotation of superiority (ie pretentiousness) that it does not deserve, if audiophiles were serious about audio fidelity they would not be using LPs, they would be using ¼" reel to reel tape recordings at 7½ in/s (or better still - ½" tape at 15 in/s). I have a moderate (600+) collection of LP records³ amassed over a 40+ year period and still buy them today but I don't keep them for any perceived belief in their superiority of audio reproduction. It's more like stamp collection - I like the aesthetic of the format and the packaging. A gatefold cover is far more pleasing to look at than an unreadable CD inlay booklet and the ritual of removing an LP from its sleeve, placing it on the turntable platter and lowering the stylus onto the groove is still more satisfying than pressing ► on a CD or MP3 player. The clicks and scratches I could live without.

I do however use the word vinyl, but begrudgingly so and only to avoid confusion in online conversations.

Back in the day the word vinyl was rarely used, and then only by pretentious¹ people who only used it to refer to 45s (and oft only 12" 45s). Similarly, if anyone used the word disc (not disk) it also generally meant a 45 or single (or sometimes a 7-inch), rarely an album. The word single is of course a misnomer as they generally have two or more tracks, its odd that the acronym SP was never in common use for Single (or Short) Play.

There was never any need to refer to an album of music by the material it was made from, the only alternative was tape and that was called by its format because there were three different formats to chose from (reel, cassette and 8-track). We don't call CDs carbonates (or more accurately polycarbonates) so why call LPs vinyls (or more accurately polyvinyl chlorides or PVCs)?

If you had a record player it meant you had a turntable for playing records on, you could not play a tape (or CD come to that) on a record player, ergo - the word record is a shortening of the noun-phrase gramophone record and was used for either² 33⅓, 45 or 78 but never tape (tapes were recordings), though it was also most commonly used for singles on 78 or 45 so was prefixed with LP (as LP record) when you meant an album of music.

Incidentally, the word album derives from the days of sheet music were collections of song-scores were published in book form. Later when multiple 78s (which were made from shellac) were released as a collection, they were also published in book form and called an album.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

¹ and for once the word 'pretentious' when used in this context is not a synonym for 'Prog' but 'DJ'.
² some record players were capable of a 4th speed - 16⅔ that was only used for speech (mainly Linguaphone recordings).
³ recently I have been reluctantly driving a car that does not have a CD player (bizarre for a vehicle made in 2002, but that's Honda for you) so have had to dig out a few cassettes to play on long journeys - my word those things are dreadful, how and why we put up with then for so long is a mystery.

Edited by Dean - April 27 2014 at 05:36
What?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 21:57
I've said both, but prefer LPs.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 21:37

Just for the record, anything can be a record. Btw it's a Marillion song isn't it? If I'm right it's from an LP that I owned once in my life named "Clutching At Straws", nice Long Play it was... another double one i guess.

EDIT: By saying "double" I was meaning like a folding cover, with all the lyrics written inside.

Edited by Rick Robson - April 26 2014 at 21:55

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:57
'Hot Wax' if they were boots

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:54
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:42
Surprisingly enough, there are many, at least late-teens that look upon vinyl as an ancient relic.....
Tell you got Eagles' 'One Of These Nights' and some folks respond with "must be worth a fortune now"..........(yeah, 3 bucks for a mint copy fortune.....)
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:28
Originally posted by notesworth notesworth wrote:

An LP is one type of vinyl record.

What bugs me is middle-aged men who talk about an album and then say "YES, I SAID ALBUM, okay?!?!? I'm OLD!!!!!!" like people don't still say "album" now. "Back in MY day..."
This happens to me a lot. I just nod like I think they know what they're talking about.
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:22
Huh???
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:19
An LP is one type of vinyl record.

What bugs me is middle-aged men who talk about an album and then say "YES, I SAID ALBUM, okay?!?!? I'm OLD!!!!!!" like people don't still say "album" now. "Back in MY day..."
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 19:45
The short answer is yes.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 19:38
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

LP's are made from Vinyl - when talking in music terms, vinyl will always be the good ole long player, and not the latest floor covering of your sex-dungeon.........
Says who?
Says me ;-}>
The word of the pumpkin king is good enough for me.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 19:11
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

LP's are made from Vinyl - when talking in music terms, vinyl will always be the good ole long player, and not the latest floor covering of your sex-dungeon.........
Says who?
Says me ;-}>
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 19:03
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 19:00
There's something at the heart of it that's simply awful
A man who makes a living off a plastic waffle

- Todd Rundgren
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 18:44

Says who?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 18:42
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 14:32
I use both terms on PA, but in real life Denmark it's 'plader' and that has never changed.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 14:23
We called them both LP's and vinyl .....but saying vinyl didn't become popular until cd's came out in my group.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>