Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Late Beatles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Best album is.......
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [38.71%]
2 [3.23%]
31 [50.00%]
5 [8.06%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 12:33

I like the music hall stuff..... baroque pop..... granny music..... whatever you want to call it. For No One is one of my favourite Beatles songs, and most things they did with harpsichords and the like.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 11:14
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The White Album. It is far more subversive and anti-Fab Four, and I think that is its major draw: it is raw and imperfect, but you actually hear The Beatles in a much more intimate setting. I'd rather listen to The Beatles as they sound on The White Album, f*cked-up at four in the morning and jamming, than playing perfectly crafted pop tunes in tacky Sgt. Pepper's uniforms. On diversity alone, it is a much greater album than the others: vaudeville tunes, blues, psychedelia, hard rock, proto-punk, folk, pop, surf rock, Euro-minimalism, baroque, satire.

Although I agree about The White Album.....

....what's wrong with perfectly crafted pop songs? The word 'perfectly' is a positive word, surely. The uniforms were tacky, sure, but they don't matter. The music on Sgt Pepper was innovative in every way, even if some of it falls into the pop genre.

There is certainly nothing wrong with perfectly crafted pop tunes (and The Beatles have wagon loads of such compositions). But as a personal preference, I believe The White Album is the musical anti-thesis of Sgt. Peppers -- even the album covers, the garish, colorful and crowded Sgt. Pepper's cover, as opposed to the blank expanse of The Beatles (or "The White Album", if you wish) is a statement of purpose. As I stated in a review elsewhere, The White Album can be seen "as a revolt against the perception of the Beatles as 'safe' or 'lightweight' or a mere hit-factory churning out endless pleasant tunes for mass consumption on public airwaves." The Beatles wanted to get out of their comfort zone, and take their fan base and the public in general with them. The album is provocative and I think it succeeds on a grand scale. Hell, people on this site and elsewhere are still arguing the merits or demerits of "Revolution 9" more than 40 years after its release.

Fair point, but I would consider being experimental and daring whilst remaining commercial as an even bigger achievement, which is exemplified most strongly on Rubber Soul through Magical Mystery Tour.

Essentially, we're talking about two monumentally ground-breaking albums here. I would probably say I preffered The White Album more as well........ but there is no way that Sgt Pepper can be described as 'safe'.

I understand the innovation and experimental qualities of Sgt. Pepper's, and I certainly do not take the groundbreaking elements of the album for granted, although I think Revolver is their most grounbreaking studio album, and I would submit that "Tomorrow Never Knows" is a greater bit of psychedelia than "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" and "Love You To" is a more authentic and moving Indian composition than "Within you Without You" .

There is a lot to dislike about Sgt. Peppers, particularly the "granny music" of McCartney that Lennon complained about. "Lovely Rita", "Getting Better" and "When I'm Sixty-Four" are not my favorite Beatle tunes, and "Good Morning" and "Fixing a Hole" could be plugged into any Beatles album of the era and no one would know the difference. Plus, Sgt. Pepper's has really no acoustic numbers at all, whereas The White Album has several ("Blackbird", "Mother Nature's Son", "Rocky Raccoon", etc.). You really can't play Sgt. Peppers around the campfire, but you can The White Album. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 10:53

The White Album. It is far more subversive and anti-Fab Four, and I think that is its major draw: it is raw and imperfect, but you actually hear The Beatles in a much more intimate setting. I'd rather listen to The Beatles as they sound on The White Album, f*cked-up at four in the morning and jamming, than playing perfectly crafted pop tunes in tacky Sgt. Pepper's uniforms. On diversity alone, it is a much greater album than the others: vaudeville tunes, blues, psychedelia, hard rock, proto-punk, folk, pop, surf rock, Euro-minimalism, baroque, satire.

....what's wrong with perfectly crafted pop songs? The word 'perfectly' is a positive word, surely. The uniforms were tacky, sure, but they don't matter. The music on Sgt Pepper was innovative in every way, even if some of it falls into the pop genre.

There is certainly nothing wrong with perfectly crafted pop tunes (and The Beatles have wagon loads of such compositions). But as a personal preference, I believe The White Album is the musical anti-thesis of Sgt. Peppers -- even the album covers, the garish, colorful and crowded Sgt. Pepper's cover, as opposed to the blank expanse of The Beatles (or "The White Album", if you wish) is a statement of purpose. As I stated in a review elsewhere, The White Album can be seen "as a revolt against the perception of the Beatles as 'safe' or 'lightweight' or a mere hit-factory churning out endless pleasant tunes for mass consumption on public airwaves." The Beatles wanted to get out of their comfort zone, and take their fan base and the public in general with them. The album is provocative and I think it succeeds on a grand scale. Hell, people on this site and elsewhere are still arguing the merits or demerits of "Revolution 9" more than 40 years after its release.

Fair point, but I would consider being experimental and daring whilst remaining commercial as an even bigger achievement, which is exemplified most strongly on Rubber Soul through Magical Mystery Tour.

Essentially, we're talking about two monumentally ground-breaking albums here. I would probably say I preffered The White Album more as well........ but there is no way that Sgt Pepper can be described as 'safe'.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 10:48

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 10:34

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 09:40
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 09:28
Decided to vote for The Beatles (White). I can't not vote for an album containing the lyrics;

Let me hear you balalaika's ringing out
Come and keep your comrade warm

Poetry!
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 09:25
Tough call between Abbey Road and White Album. Let It Be is the disapointment for me, simply because of the inconsistency of the album. Flips between awesome and awful.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 10:31
Abbey Road.
elp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 05:11
Abbey Road! It's also feature the magic moog
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 04:22
John Lennon and George Harrison?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 03:14

Voted for The White Album as my preference of the day. Abbey Road is about equally good in my book.

Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 14:59
Abbey Road! You Never Give Your Money. Nuff said.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 14:04
I voted for The White Album again like I did in the original poll.  It's my favourite of the lot even though it has got far too much 'Filler' Wink 

Help me I'm falling!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 13:55
I voted for Abbey RoadLet It Be is very good also.  
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 13:13
Abbey Road will win this one.  I really wanted to cast my lot with the White Album, but Abbey Road is about as good an album as has been made in my lifetime, in fact maybe the best.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 12:45
I'd say Abbey Road is more consistent than the White Album, so I'll vote for it.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 08:57
The winner will go into the final Beatles poll in a week or so.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123