Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do the people you know think of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 06:48
I used to get ribbed by family back in the 80s when I would listen to Rush. They didn't get it. These days I'm surrounded by people who only like pop fluff Dead

Before my daughter got corrupted by Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry, etc I had her listening to and enjoying, almost the entire Permanent Waves album. She also liked Red Barchetta.
I knew it wouldn't last but it was fun while it did Big smile
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 00:15
Originally posted by Affek Affek wrote:

My parents label prog rock as "unlistenable noise", but they describe any song that's over 5 minutes as too long and pretentious. My close friend enjoys Jethro Tull, especially late 70's albums like Songs from the Wood (he's a big fan of folk music) and the rest of my aquintances don't really care for it, sometimes they call my musical taste weird.
I guess your parents won't be satisfied if they listen to Vomir (harsh noise artist)! Tongue
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 20:13
My dad got me into it, so he of course likes it.  And my husband likes some of it (Rush mostly, though he'll tolerate other things if I play them).

Most others just don't have the attention span for music more than a few minutes long.  Though when I meet female singers, they all tend to greatly enjoy Renaissance (after they've heard it, which they never have before they met me).  One of my best friends is the only exception to that rule I can think of.

I know some traditional musicians - meaning orchestral - and they despise prog rock.  They think it's elitist.  Which I find funny coming from them.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 19:39
My friends don't know what Prog is. They just like things like Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 14:31
The people I know that like various forms of music have no problem with it and  have some prog in their collections. The rest don't really matter all that much because they aren;t into music much anyway.
My wife rarely says anything to me about it , my daughters don't either , and my son in law is ok with it but doesn't really listen to it much being more of an alt blues  and rock fan.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 11:10
My parents label prog rock as "unlistenable noise", but they describe any song that's over 5 minutes as too long and pretentious. My close friend enjoys Jethro Tull, especially late 70's albums like Songs from the Wood (he's a big fan of folk music) and the rest of my aquintances don't really care for it, sometimes they call my musical taste weird.
Prog Rock (1969-1977)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 10:54
My wife hates it, she calls it "guy music."  

Mind you, this lady attended Yes 35th Anniversary tour (pictured with me and Lord Richard!) and The Musical Box's "Lamb" show.  

At least she gave it a shot! 

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Edited by cstack3 - June 12 2016 at 16:31
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 10:00
Well, my parents, the majority of my friends think that it's crazy-stoner music, but i converted some of them to prog, it's very simple in reality to do this, but you have to wait the right time(the time when they are bored from past and present music(rock, pop,etc) and on a point where it's very close to they give up from all types of music, and then, i show them progTongue).
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 07:34
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The most accessible songs, short and melodic, are liked by many, like "Cadence and "Cascade" for example, or songs that became popular, like "Living in the Past", or "From the Beginning", are remembered and liked by older people. The younger generation, the ones who like Usher, Beyoncé, etc, don't really care much frankly, but appreciate some of them as oldie-style music. Very few have ever tried a whole album, since not even the music They liked is presented to them in that format; in fact, hardly anyone downloads a whole album from iTunes these days, so our loved "whole album concept music" is not a very popular idea for modern day musicians,

Thank you, Manuel!  I think it's important to consider the age and generation of listeners in this conversation.  Most of my friends are the people I work with.  I'm 50, so I'm at least 20 years older than most of them.  I don't spend a lot of time trying to convert people, but I know most of them wouldn't be moved by prog.  However, one of my immediate supervisors is in his early 30s.  He loves rock from the classic prog era, so he and I love a lot of the same bands!
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 06:55
^ Mike, she is practically married - and 27 - too young. Very pretty, too
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 05:38
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

A young lady at my work was already familiar with Floyd, Opeth, Karnivool, Lamb Of God and had seen Tool live. I was lending her many CD's and got her into, of all things, VDGG - she kept Present for at least a month. She also fell for Rush, Anglagard and the Ozrics.

Sh*t, Tom....at no point you thought `I should probably be asking this girl to marry me....'?! This sounds like the girl we all dream about!

Ha, even my Italian ex HATED the Italian prog stuff, I remember getting her to explain the lyrics of Le Orme's `Felona e Sorona', and after a minute or two she said "I don't know...some nonsense about planets...and brothers and sisters...I don't have time for this crap...."

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 12 2016 at 05:51
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 05:26
The most accessible songs, short and melodic, are liked by many, like "Cadence and "Cascade" for example, or songs that became popular, like "Living in the Past", or "From the Beginning", are remembered and liked by older people. The younger generation, the ones who like Usher, Beyoncé, etc, don't really care much frankly, but appreciate some of them as oldie-style music. Very few have ever tried a whole album, since not even the music They liked is presented to them in that format; in fact, hardly anyone downloads a whole album from iTunes these days, so our loved "whole album concept music" is not a very popular idea for modern day musicians,
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 02:46
my GF - that's the crap my BF listens to
my brothers - yeah, that weird kind of jazz-rock stuff you play
my colleagues - that avant-garde stuff you like (some of it is indeed avant-garde)
my parents - you could at least listen to stuff that is easily understood
my non-music friends - that weird uncommercial stuff we only get to hear when you're around
my music friends - prog; jazz & jazz-rock/fusion

the others - they don't know (I don't speak about it) and they don't care (and I don't care of theirs and will not tell them mine)
SpookyGhost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 00:29
All my friends hate prog, My best friend has a true hatred for Genesis and Rush because "The lead singers are too high pitched" which I can see for Geddy lee, but not Peter Gabriel
I don't know what to put here
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 22:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Some folks seem to think that rock'n'roll is music and classical and anything else isn't! 

How's that for weird?

I think on this forum there's next to nobody who says that but then this kind of strawman-assailing comment is par for the course coming from you.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:53
None of my friends know what it is. Cry Those whom I try to convince did not like it. It can't be the length, because a lot of my friends are into classical or jazz music and are used to pieces longer than 20 minutes.
My brother has Genesis in his music collection, but when I tried to introduce King Crimson to him, he says he gets tooth pain from it.
In Germany no one I talked to have ever heard of King Crimson. In Japan, where I am living now, people at least heard of the band's name. My Japanese teacher says, she knows the band because her sister plays it now and then. Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:40
My family tolerate it. My sis loves Floyd, Yes, Genesis, select Zappa, Sabbath, Marillion etc. - she hates VDGG / Hammill and the handful of Extreme bands I listen to with a passion.
My Dad puts up with it, including when I blare Gorguts at full volume. I once got him to watch an interview with Jens Kidman and Tomas Haake (Meshuggah) and he said that they come across as 'intelligent guys' for headbangers.
A young lady at my work was already familiar with Floyd, Opeth, Karnivool, Lamb Of God and had seen Tool live. I was lending her many CD's and got her into, of all things, VDGG - she kept Present for at least a month. She also fell for Rush, Anglagard and the Ozrics.
I find the majority of folks just haven't got the attention span to sit through most Prog though.
Some even say it's 'crazy music'.....

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 11 2016 at 21:41
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:04
They don't know what it is k
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 20:42
When we're driving in the car, and I ask my daughter what music she wants to hear, her answer is "Anything but Yes."

So I'm batting .500 in my immediate family.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 20:41
My husband loves prog. I don't care about the rest of the world as long as he gets what I'm on about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>