1 [0.84%]
13 [10.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 12:52
Other favourites:

The Clash: Sandinista
The Police: Zenyatta Mondatta
David Byrne and Brian Eno: My Life In the Bush of Ghosts
C.V. Jψrgensen: Tidens tern (Danish "lyric rock")
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 12:27
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iY1QMri1ghA/VP2JU4ttVJI/AAAAAAAAAXw/dF1hb-7RDYA/s1600/folder.jpg
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 11:58
Voted Other. My choice would have been Remain in Light by Talking Heads.

But I really like Scary Monsters and Discipline too.

Edited by The Anders - January 16 2019 at 12:00
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 11:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Erectus has some heavy tunes, as does Fair Warning. But they're not "metal" like Priest or Maiden, no. Speaking of, the reason I didn't mention those others, like Ozzy's first two, is because I don't rank them as most do. I far prefer Dio-Sabbath, and IMO Maiden got better after PoM and then peaked with SiT and 7Soa7S

But yes, I should have put Point of Entry in there. That's a classic. And while they didn't come out till '82 and '83, respectively, Mama's Boys' Plug It In and Savage's Loose 'N Lethal each deserve mention.

Well, I didn't think you were going for a complete list of NWOBH or metal in general. Obviously there's lot's of good ones out there. Isn't PoE by Priest rated rather low usually? Do you prefer it over British Steel or SfV? Oops, I guess we are talking 80/81 here. As for IM NotB is usually rated as their best or PoM. I guess you don't follow the consensus which is good. It's always good to make up your own mind about things.

PoE is highly regarded, as is ...Vengeance (superb record). I have little use for British Steel. I'd much rather listen to Sin After Sin and Stained Class.

Somewhere In Time may have a slightly more commercial sound as far as Maiden goes, but that's my favorite album of theirs.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 11:02
Rush~PW from this list. I own almost all of the list, sure many other good ones were missed but staying true to the OP list.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 10:29

Angel Witch – Angel Witch (1980) 
Black Sabbath – Heaven and Hell (1980); Mob Rules (1981)
Blue Oyster Cult – Cultosaurus Erectus (1980); Fire of Unknown Origin (1981)
Def Leppard – High 'N Dry (1981)
Motorhead – Ace of Spades (1980)
Praying Mantis – Time Tells No Lies (1981)
Saxon – Denim and Leather (1981)
Thin Lizzy – Chinatown (1980); Renegade (1981)
Tygers of Pan Tang – Spellbound (1981)
Van Halen – Fair Warning (1981)

I'm edit this post later after I remember something I forgot, lol.

Interesting that you left off a few rather obvious ones. In particular I'm referring to killers and the same titled debut by Iron Maiden and British Steel by Judas Priest. Also, the first two Ozzy solo albums. Good list though(despite the fact I don't consider BOC or VH to be metal) and I'm not familiar with all of them so I'll keep those in mind.

Erectus has some heavy tunes, as does Fair Warning. But they're not "metal" like Priest or Maiden, no. Speaking of, the reason I didn't mention those others, like Ozzy's first two, is because I don't rank them as most do. I far prefer Dio-Sabbath, and IMO Maiden got better after PoM and then peaked with SiT and 7Soa7S

But yes, I should have put Point of Entry in there. That's a classic. And while they didn't come out till '82 and '83, respectively, Mama's Boys' Plug It In and Savage's Loose 'N Lethal each deserve mention.

Well, I didn't think you were going for a complete list of NWOBH or metal in general. Obviously there's lot's of good ones out there. Isn't PoE by Priest rated rather low usually? Do you prefer it over British Steel or SfV? Oops, I guess we are talking 80/81 here. As for IM NotB is usually rated as their best or PoM. I guess you don't follow the consensus which is good. It's always good to make up your own mind about things. 
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 09:49
From this list:
 1. Moving Pictures

2. Drama
 3 Permanent Waves
 4. Duke
 5. Discipline 

The rest
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 09:17
Some favourites from 1981
Accept - Breaker
Anvil - Hard n Heavy
Bauhaus - Mask
Cabaret Voltaire - Red Mecca
Clannad - Fuaim
Classix Nouveaux - Night People
DAF - Alles ist Gut; - Gold und Liebe
Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell
Duran Duran - Duran Duran
Einsturzende Neubauten - Kollaps
Eurythmics - In the Garden
Eva Dahlgren - Fφr vδntan
Fad Gadget - Incontinent
Girlschool - Hit and Run
Hazel O'Connor - Cover Plus
Heaven 17 - Penthouse & Pavement
Icehouse - Icehouse
Japan - Tin Drum
John Foxx - The Garden
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Lene Lovich - New Toy
Lustans Lakejer - Lustans Lakejer; - Uppdrag i Geneve
Madness -7
Magazine - Magic, Myurder and the Weather
Nina Hagen - NunSexMonkRock
OMD - Architecture & Morality 
Raven - Rock Until You Drop
Saxon - Denim and Leather
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju
Soft Cell - Non-stop Erotic Cabaret
Spandau Ballet -Journeys to Glory
Squeeze - East Side Story
The Cure - Faith
The Human League - Dare!
The Stranglers - La Folie; - The Gospel According to the Men in Black
Toyah - Anthem
Ultravox - Rage in Eden
U2 - October
Whitesnake - Come An' Get It
Xmal Deutschland - Schwarze Welt
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 08:18
Some favourites from 1980
Bauhaus - In The Flat Field 
Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell
Bruce - The River
Cabaret Voltaire - Three Mantras
Clannad - Crann Ull
DAF - Die Kleinen Und Die Bφsen
Dire Straits - Making Movies
Fad Gadget - Fireside Favourites
Gary Numan - Telekon
Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids
Gerry Rafferty - Snakes and Ladders
Gillan - Glory Road
Girlschool - Demolition
Hazel O'Connor - Breaking Glass
John Foxx - Metamatic
Justin Hayward - Night Flight
Madness - Absolutely
Magnum - Marauder
OMD - OMD; - Organisation
Ozzy - Blizzard of Ozz
Mike Batt - Waves
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Neil - Hawks & Doves
Pretenders - Pretenders
Saxon - Wheels of Steel; - Strong Arm of the Law 
Simple Minds- Empires And Dance
Siouxsie And The Banshees - Kaleidoscope
Squeeze - Argybargy
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry;  - Seventeen Seconds 
The Damned - The Black Album
The Human League - Travelogue
The Undertones - Hypnotised
Tygers of Pan Tang - Wild Cat
U2 - Boy
Ultravox - Vienna 
Visage - Visage
Whitesnake - Ready an' Willing
XTC - Black Sea

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 16 2019 at 08:22
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 02:07
1. Drama
2. Discipline
3. Duke

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 00:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

two great ones, do you have the AngelWitch remasters?

Just the Sanctuary edition.  

Quote Raven  Rock until You Drop

Nice! I need to hear more by these guys. I have Raw Tracks
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 00:51

Black Sabbath – Heaven and Hell (1980); Mob Rules (1981)
Blue Oyster Cult – Cultosaurus Erectus (1980); Fire of Unknown Origin (1981)
Def Leppard – High 'N Dry (1981)
Motorhead – Ace of Spades (1980)
Praying Mantis – Time Tells No Lies (1981)
Saxon – Denim and Leather (1981)
Thin Lizzy – Chinatown (1980); Renegade (1981)
Tygers of Pan Tang – Spellbound (1981)

I'm edit this post later after I remember something I forgot, lol.

Interesting that you left off a few rather obvious ones. In particular I'm referring to killers and the same titled debut by Iron Maiden and British Steel by Judas Priest. Also, the first two Ozzy solo albums. Good list though(despite the fact I don't consider BOC or VH to be metal) and I'm not familiar with all of them so I'll keep those in mind.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 23:14
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Sure--  I mean I don't think there's much doubt Diary was "better" in the sense that it was more developed musically and had a better mix, but that debut is absolutely classic.   They practically saved metal.

saved metal? how or from what? LOL
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 20:33
Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'N' play Yer Guitar / Shut Up 'N' play Yer Guitar Some More / Return of the Son of Shut Up 'N' play Yer Guitar (Box set). The 2nd best album ever after the Lamb.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 20:31
Interesting how you posted that after I mentioned Ozzy in my post before it. Maybe I gave you the idea. Anyway, I have Diary but I suppose I have to check out Blizzard. It does have some great tracks on it even if it's inconsistent.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 19:07
hell yeah!!!  Beer  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 19:03
Done.   I'll meet you in downtown Portland, best eating & drinking city west of N'Orleans.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 18:59
interesting notion. Saving metal?  I wouldn't mind discussing that over a drink or 4 with you someday when we can finally get together.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 18:54
^ Sure--  I mean I don't think there's much doubt Diary was "better" in the sense that it was more developed musically and had a better mix, but that debut is absolutely classic.   They practically saved metal.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 18:51
Thumbs Up no doubt.. love both..  but admit to being a bigger Blizzard fan... another case where perhaps Diary was more even more consistent.. a better album???.. like any good ELP fan who acknowledges Trilogy as their best.. yet least favorite album.. I tend to like uneven albums where there are more rough and less polished edges. The highs are just a bit higher..  even if the lows are slightly lower 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>