Topic ClosedSystem of a Down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 18:08

Ok! I just want to bring this into the forum and see what do you think...

I was reading at some material that defines the history of progressive rock and found a quote that mentioned the band System of a Down. The passage says:

"Other heavy metal bands not generally considered prog-metal, such as System of a Down, have nevertheless incorporated prog-influenced elements like bizarre shifts in time signatures and tempo in their music." (taken from the website www.wikipedia.org)

On the other hand, I found something that tells more about the influences of the band, as well as the range of instruments they use in their albums:

System of a Down uses a wide range of instruments, including baritone electric guitars, electric mandolins, sitars, 12-string classical guitars and many other East Asian instruments. Their main influences are most noticeably from earlier alternative rock bands, but they also draw influence from the punk rock, jazz, fusion, Armenian folk music, classic rock, blues, and industrial genres. (taken from the website www.wikipedia.org)

I know System of a Down is not a progressive band. They are an Alternative Metal, Nu Metal or Power Metal band with influences from progressive rock. To get an idea, listen to their song Question! from their latest album Mezmerize and you'll see all those multi time signatures, scales and tunings with very quiet and very loud passages ocurring in the same piece. These same characteristics can be found in all their works.

I definitively think they should be included as Prog Related since the term is also defined as artists unrelated to prog with common things to prog music in that it is very structured and adventurous, sometimes hard or heavy, sometimes mellow, with strong melodies and good hooks as an integral part of most of the material. Though most of these artists aren't considered progressive themselves, their relation to progressive music is not to be underestimated. Besides, they are mentioned as part of the progressive rock definition/history.

What do you think about this????

KEEP THE PROMISE YOU MADE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234