Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possibly Underrated Bassists?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 18:26
I don't know that Greg Lake was ever discussed as a great bass player. Now don't get me wrong. I think He WAS ! But he was thought of more as a singer and acoustic guitar player in my opinion. But I always pipe up during bass discussions to say "Just listen to it". Forget the keys and the drums and even the singing. Focus on that bass play. He was an incredible bassist.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 17:59
What springs directly to mind is Helmut Koellen of Triumvirat, who sadly left us on May 3rd, 1977. Unfairly in the shadow of big name players like Chris Squire and Greg Lake, Helmut was also very good at vocals, and six and twelve string guitar, as well! It is his prowess on the Rickenbacker bass guitar, though, that I find the most appealing of all. As a musician/singer/songwriter, the "soul" of Triumvirat, it must be said, but rarely mentioned in magazines or books devoted to bass players. I do what I can to generate interest in this "from the heart" musician. RIP, Helmut Koellen.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 17:43
I don’t know if Francis Moze is exactly underrated, but I do feel he is overlooked and overshadowed by other bassists, particularly in Magma. Yeah, maybe he is underrated in comparison to Top and Paganotti and Bussonet. And I like Moze for his Gong work. I don’t know what the general consensus would be for people who know Moze work on how highly they would regard him on bass, and I don’t recall reading disparaging comments about him, but, yes, he does get overshadowed. Maybe he is less showy generally, but I doubt many would not consider him to be competent. I can’t really judge it well from a technical standpoint or have much data to say how people feel about him. But possibly underrated, oh yes, I do think so, and I strongly suspect he is most probably underrated by some. Or should that be Moze probably?

Edited by Logan - November 12 2021 at 17:48
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 17:23
Bryan Beller. The Aristocrats, Mike Keneally, solo, Joe Satriani, and others. Fierce player with a killer groove.
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 16:49
Another player that comes to my mind is the late, great Charles Tumahai (Be Bop Deluxe).
In the pocket, or wandering 'round, that man could play!!!
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 16:06
Randy Coven!!! Not possibly, but definitely extremely underrated. R.I.P. BTW. He passed away several years ago. 
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 16:03
My apologies if this topic has been touched on prior to this...

I was just listening to Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry and it struck me how really solid the playing of Joe DiBiase is.
So, I thought it might be nice to show some love for some possibly underappreciated bassists out there.
I'm interested in seeing your selections and who I've overlooked!
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234