Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 11:25
Here's what my friend Michael suggested I start with:

A really excellent way to aquaint oneself to the acousmatic world is to get a hold of the wonderful INA Grm 5 cd box set called "Archives GRM" This is where I got mine:

http://electrocd.com/en/boutique/inagrm/

At 55 dollars Canadian it's unbelieavably cheap and, as I said, it's a great intro to this music. All the heavies are represented, Pierre Schaffer, a short but excellent Xenakis piece, Bernard Parmegiani (one of my faves), Frances Dhomont, Francois Bayle, Luc Ferrari, Jean Claude Risset and tons more who I've never heard of...but all of generally extremely high quality. There is even a long piece my Messiaen dabbling in the electro-acoustic.

Here is a long-ish review I posted on another list a while back about the standouts for me from this great box...:

Loved just about all of it with many pieces being just downright stupendous.

Ones that come to mind:

Disc one-Iannis Xenakis-Concret PH A short (under 3 min) crystal tapestry of (apparently) fire and ashes crackling...mesmorizing

Disc two-well...most of it was just stunning. What can I say. A couple that stand out are Beatriz Ferreyra "Mer d'Azov and the two pieces by Alain Savouret. I'm wondering if anyone here knows more about these two composers, because their representations on this set makes me want to go out and acquire everything they have ever done (I'm weird like that)

Disc three-Again...all of it was fantastic. Standouts were the Francis Dhomont piece called "Novars" (no surprise there...most everything I've heard from Dhomont is top notch) and the Jean-Claude Risset contribution called "Sud". The latter being a particulary mind blowing demonstration of what I would imagine good industrial music to be. (I know next to nothing about industrial music)

Disc four-once again...superb!! This collection had more "natural" recognizable instruments added to the acousmatic sounds...so the feel of this disc was totally different than the three before it. Much more organic sounding rather than the alien operating room antics that were happening before. Not to say that those still werent there, they were, but with the addition of some stringed insturments (violin, contrebasse) I was brought down to earth for a short while. Standouts were the Denis Dufour piece and the Ramon Gonzales-Arroyo piece.

Disc five-back to the deep reaches of space. The two Jean Schwarz pieces are great along with a rather humourous Francois Bayle/Robert Wyatt collaboration. There is also one by Bernard Parmegiani called "La roue Ferris" that could be my favorite 10 minutes of the whole box. If you're a Tangerine Dream fan...this one is for you! Constantly morphing layers upon layers of sequenced bliss that I just did not want to end. (Speaking of Parmegiani...anyone familiar with his "La Creation du Monde" disc? This is one of my favorite acousmatic discs so far. It was done between 1982-84 but sounds like it came from the year 2207. It projects a movie for the ears about the creation of the universe...and you ARE there...no kidding)

...also there is a 100 page booklet of black and white photographs of all the composers in their various workshops at the GRM as well as in performance. Being a photog myself, I especially enjoyed these.

So, babbling aside (to late you might think ) this box, for me might be the purchase of the year and will go a long way in aiding me for future explorations.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 11:25

With the guidance of a good friend at the Progressive Ears website (Michael), I've started exploring this marvelous world (maybe universe is more like it) of sounds.

I'm still new to this but would like to share my enthusiasm with my initial listening experiences and to ask for your recommendations as well.

Here's a definition I found for this type of music (which is as diverse as any other style)

Electro-Acoustic Music

Electro-acoustic music is a term used to describe a broad range of modern classical electronic music. It often explores the interaction of natural and electronically generated sounds and effects.

The term electro-acoustic refers to a process that happens in any microphone or loudspeaker - sound is transformed into electrical signals, and then transformed from electrical form back to sound. This process is central to all electronic music, because it turns sound into something that can be shaped using electronics and computers.

As a musical genre, electro-acoustic is sort of a catch-all term. As electronica is used to refer to any pop electronic music, electro-acoustic is often used to refer to any electronic music in the classical tradition.

Electro-acoustic grew out of the pioneering work of experimental electronic musicians of the 1940's and 1950's, such as Pierre Schaeffer. Shaeffer created Musique Concrète, a style of music that anticipated the later rise of sampling. Schaeffer was interested in the idea of manipulating sound as a tangible object. He took tape recorded sounds and created a huge variety of effects through splicing, speed changes, looping and reversing them.

It also incorporates the tradition of the early synthesists, such as Edgar Varèse. Initially, electronically generated sounds were used as source materials for further tape manipulation. In the mid 1960's, the emergence of modular synthesizers and computer-based sound manipulation allowed further control over the shaping of sound. Artists like Morton Subotnick explored using gestures to control sound, and combined electronics and synthesizers with acoustic instruments and even dance.

The term electro-acoustic has been adopted by many artists and organizations working in the world of classical electronic music. While the technology of electronic music is constantly changing, electro-acoustic artists continue to draw on the history of ideas pioneered by early electronic musicians.

I'll continue in the next post.

Edited by avestin - March 09 2008 at 11:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234