Topic ClosedClassic Rock's "Prog Rock" Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 14:22
OK, OK...just figured some might not check the Get The Word Out section...that's all...sorry. Thought someone might want to snag some older, OOP issues...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 12:46
Aye - I agree - especially since Shawn already has a "free advert" running in "Get The Word Out" section - repetition here is unnecessary.

What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 12:30
I don't want to appear nasty, but I think the purpose of this thread was to discuss the magazine itself, rather than advertising flogging the things.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 07:19
Less than 3 hours left on these 2...
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 10:53
The dream theater interview was interesting.
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 10:41
Selling off some issues...reduced prices.

The person who bought the Radiohead issue never paid me, so its relisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLASSIC-ROCK-PROG-OCT2009-OOP-RARE-RADIOHEAD-ZAPPA-/160511444949?pt=Magazines&hash=item255f3a47d5#ht_500wt_949

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLASSIC-ROCK-PROG-DEC2009-OOP-RARE-TULL-OPETH-BIGELF-/160511445231?pt=Magazines&hash=item255f3a48ef#ht_500wt_949
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 19:02
Originally posted by akajazzman akajazzman wrote:

Thanks Martin.  Westwood is too rich for my blood.  Wink  
LOLLOLLOL yes it is,but if you buy it in westwood,ela,or glendale the price of the magazine is going to be the same anyway
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 18:10

Thanks Martin.  Westwood is too rich for my blood.  Wink   Thankfully the Borders in Thousand Oaks decided to start carrying it again.  So I just picked up the Yes issue.  

I have to say, its at the quality of the earlier issues.  Although I did really like the article on Camel and a few others.    As much as we love Prog, is there really enough stuff going on in the genre to warrant a monthly periodical the size of this $15 magazine?   Don't get me wrong, I really like the magazine, but doubt they'll be able to sustain a vibrant monthly that'll keep our interest  (does anybody really care about the latest developments with Mostly Autumn?)
It's bi-monthly - so that's only $7.50 a month Wink
What?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 17:34

Thanks Martin.  Westwood is too rich for my blood.  Wink   Thankfully the Borders in Thousand Oaks decided to start carrying it again.  So I just picked up the Yes issue.  

I have to say, its at the quality of the earlier issues.  Although I did really like the article on Camel and a few others.    As much as we love Prog, is there really enough stuff going on in the genre to warrant a monthly periodical the size of this $15 magazine?   Don't get me wrong, I really like the magazine, but doubt they'll be able to sustain a vibrant monthly that'll keep our interest  (does anybody really care about the latest developments with Mostly Autumn?)

Is that the band with the gal who was engaged (past tense) to Fish?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 14:39

Yes, I do. I have followed them since the very beginning, and it was interesting to see that perspective. Likewise, I think a lot of people on the forum will enjoy the dream Theater interviews in the latest issue, which certainly make very interesting reading.

I think it's greatClap
akajazzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 14:36
I meant to say, its "not" at the quality of the earlier issues.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 14:35

martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 13:56

I'm completely distressed over not being able to find the last two issues.  I had all the issues  up until this point, then every store in Southern California has decided to vote "no" on Prog Rock!   Angry   Damn them!    I ts turned me into a 21st Century Schizoid Man (yes I just said that Embarrassed)

.thats weird ,i was yesterday  in Barnes & Noble [ where i got all my issues    ] in westwood and they still have issue n. 10 [ roger waters and the wall cover ]  .. maybe you are looking in the wrong place
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 13:52
I bought three copies today. One for myself and two for my pension fund (see Ebay).   

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - November 03 2010 at 13:53
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 13:43
I got the new issue today. Main feature is interviews with DT members - apparently, someone leftLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 14:51

I'm completely distressed over not being able to find the last two issues.  I had all the issues  up until this point, then every store in Southern California has decided to vote "no" on Prog Rock!   Angry   Damn them!    I ts turned me into a 21st Century Schizoid Man (yes I just said that Embarrassed)

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 13:37
Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

Not been on here in a long time but my attention was attracted by the Prog mag thread.Whilst I agree it is a bit pricey it certainly puts Prog into the forefront on the magazine stands.It  proves there are plenty of Prog heads out there if Tony R'S sales totals are accurate.Incidentally a long time no contact Tony,I hope you are well.Other Rock/Pop magssuch as Q and Mojo are poor and very anti Prog  unless they have changed their attitudes in recent years.I always found their journos to be very anti the icons of Prog such as Yes,GenesisKing Crimson etc So a big well done to Classic Rock for producing Prog Rock.

Nice to see you John!

The sales figures come from Jerry Ewing himself, so I presume they are accurate. I think it is over-priced for what you get and I am always suspicious of album art features as they strike me as padding. Still, at least Prog is featured on the supermarket shelves, both Tesco and ASDA stock it in Bolton.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 10:48
I had a natter with CRPP's editor Jerry Ewing at this years Summers End Festival and he made mention about the issue of putting the vingate artists on the cover. The answer was simple; the classic artists sell more copies of the magazine. He recognises it's not ideal but for every person that picks up the magazine for the band on the cover, they will get to read about the newer bands inside which is fair enough.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 16:03
Not been on here in a long time but my attention was attracted by the Prog mag thread.
Whilst I agree it is a bit pricey it certainly puts Prog into the forefront on the magazine stands.

It  proves there are plenty of Prog heads out there if Tony R'S sales totals are accurate.Incidentally a long time no contact Tony,I hope you are well.

Other Rock/Pop magssuch as Q and Mojo are poor and very anti Prog  unless they have changed their attitudes in recent years.I always found their journos to be very anti the icons of Prog such as Yes,Genesis
King Crimson etc So a big well done to Classic Rock for producing Prog Rock.

Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 15:28
I remember when I bought the 3rd issue, the first one was going for nearly $100 at that point and the second was around $40...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>