Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three: Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 13:26
I'm glad that I stayed out of this discussion Big smile , but I missed talking to kati.  Cry
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 11:41
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I  do not what to say here above to be honest. this seems fruitless. The Wall and Animals is Waters and wow pros and cons of hitchhiking plus amused to death, these, two of my overall best albums to date!

I was merely poking fun at the "no Floyd without Barrett" remark, though I'm sure they're out there. LOL

I like Pros & Cons as well.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 11:28
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Actually, Spector Sound was a production "formula" for recordings, while Stanley's Wall of Sound was developed for live gigs of the Grateful Dead, and later used by e.g. Pink Floyd.

PF did not use the "Wall of Sound" ... when I saw them in 1972 and 1974. They used a special setup they called "Quadraphonic Sound" ... which was all around you, not in front on the stage!!!!!

It was the same later for "The Wall" at the Sports Arena and a couple of years later at Anaheim Stadium, though by that time they had more equipment to show for it, but it was not a wall of sound, as the GF usually had.

Nowadays with the quality of the speakers and digital sound, a lot of this is hidden and buried, and I mentioned it in "The Wall" review with Roger recently, which, to my ears, lost some of its beauty because the sound only went left to right and then right to left, when before it went all around you, and the effect was far better and stronger.

I guess that "meaning" is no longer an important feature in music these days! Or discussions, for that matter!

Of course they did not have the same system.
However, it is well known that the PF were inspired by the Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound, and then they were designed their own version.

Edited by Svetonio - November 18 2014 at 11:38
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 11:16
I  do not what to say here above to be honest. this seems fruitless. The Wall and Animals is Waters and wow pros and cons of hitchhiking plus amused to death, these, two of my overall best albums to date!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 11:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Pink Floyd is not PF without Roger Waters nor it would be without Gilmour xxxxx

Some people believe Floyd is not Floyd without Syd Barrett. LOL

Btw, did you know "Comfortably Numb" was originally written for Gilmour's first solo album?

Not according to the Roger Waters interview on KMET (or KLOS -- not sure right now!) with Jim Ladd at the time!  .... that I have the tape of! He goes over the whole album! Earlier I also heard his whole discussion on the "Radio Kaos" thing also done by Jim Ladd.

The likelihood, or possibility, is that this riff was around before with nothing attached to it, and they found a really good "trip" to attach it to!

"According to Waters..." I can only imagine. Wink

Yes, it was still primarily an instrumental when it got patched over but that's what makes the song for me. The lyric/vocal portion is cool, but the instrumentation is the album's plateau and the guitar solo is one of Gilmour's best, and Waters had nothing to do with that. And it would have ended up on Gilmour's eponymous solo album, which further downplays Waters' status as an instrumentalist. Dave recorded a lot of PF's basslines. I know, this is heresy to the ears of Waters' fans, but hey, I calls 'em as I see/hear 'em. LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 10:49
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Btw, did you know "Comfortably Numb" was originally written for Gilmour's first solo album?

Not according to the Roger Waters interview on KMET (or KLOS -- not sure right now!) with Jim Ladd at the time!  .... that I have the tape of! He goes over the whole album! Earlier I also heard his whole discussion on the "Radio Kaos" thing also done by Jim Ladd.

The likelihood, or possibility, is that this riff was around before with nothing attached to it, and they found a really good "trip" to attach it to!

Edited by moshkito - November 18 2014 at 10:53
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 10:44

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 10:35

Actually, Spector Sound was a production "formula" for recordings, while Stanley's Wall of Sound was developed for live gigs of the Grateful Dead, and later used by e.g. Pink Floyd.

PF did not use the "Wall of Sound" ... when I saw them in 1972 and 1974. They used a special setup they called "Quadraphonic Sound" ... which was all around you, not in front on the stage!!!!!

It was the same later for "The Wall" at the Sports Arena and a couple of years later at Anaheim Stadium, though by that time they had more equipment to show for it, but it was not a wall of sound, as the GF usually had.

Nowadays with the quality of the speakers and digital sound, a lot of this is hidden and buried, and I mentioned it in "The Wall" review with Roger recently, which, to my ears, lost some of its beauty because the sound only went left to right and then right to left, when before it went all around you, and the effect was far better and stronger.

I guess that "meaning" is no longer an important feature in music these days! Or discussions, for that matter!

Edited by moshkito - November 18 2014 at 10:40
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 06:19
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

This wall stuff was called years before Owsley when Spector did The Beatles.....
The Dead just developed the idea to the extreme..........
........and Lesh is a superb Bassist..........

Edited by Svetonio - November 18 2014 at 06:23
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:56
^ You rock !!
     Nighty night
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:53

^ Oh dear ....I love Pros And Cons for years....... Thanks Kati.   Gotta go, up at Sparrows Fart for slavery tomorrow morn...... It's just about 10pm here and I need my 'beast sleep'.........
natti natti and big hug to you Tom Hug
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:51
^ Oh dear ....I love Pros And Cons for years....... Thanks Kati.   Gotta go, up at Sparrows Fart for slavery tomorrow morn...... It's just about 10pm here and I need my 'beast sleep'.........
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:46
Sventonio, I am not speaking on behalf of Tom, he is my bedlam inmate you :) Tom this is for you Hug
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:42

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Ain't Spector in jail ??
FYFM does sport a pretty cool ARP solo from Banks, don't recall hearing that in any ABBA song (although I do have the LP of The Visitors).
I know he's in jail.  You know he's in jail, but does Svetonio know? LOL

In fact, Wall of Sound was developed for the Grateful Dead by Owsley "Bear" Stanley, the sound-engineer who was actually released from jail one year earlier LOL

As Stanley described it,

"The Wall of Sound is the name some people gave to a super powerful, extremely accurate PA system that I designed and supervised the building of in 1973 for the Grateful Dead. It was a massive wall of speaker arrays set behind the musicians, which they themselves controlled without a front of house mixer. It did not need any delay towers to reach a distance of half a mile from the stage without degradation."

link
ha! Sventio :) I always was under the impression that Spector developed/came up with the wall of sound :) xxxx

I do not.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:41
Again you crack me up Kati - Sventio, Sventonio, Svetonio...... for years this name baffles me ....
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:38

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Ain't Spector in jail ??
FYFM does sport a pretty cool ARP solo from Banks, don't recall hearing that in any ABBA song (although I do have the LP of The Visitors).
I know he's in jail.  You know he's in jail, but does Svetonio know? LOL

In fact, Wall of Sound was developed for the Grateful Dead by Owsley "Bear" Stanley, the sound-engineer who was actually released from jail one year earlier LOL

As Stanley described it,

"The Wall of Sound is the name some people gave to a super powerful, extremely accurate PA system that I designed and supervised the building of in 1973 for the Grateful Dead. It was a massive wall of speaker arrays set behind the musicians, which they themselves controlled without a front of house mixer. It did not need any delay towers to reach a distance of half a mile from the stage without degradation."

link
ha! Sventio :) I always was under the impression that Spector developed/came up with the wall of sound :) xxxx
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:35

Phil Spector is in jail indeed.
For something dodgey, no doubt (I don't remember, I don't recall.....).....
....and yes, Waters.........   The track 'It's A Miracle' just blows me away..............to smitherines..........
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:30
This wall stuff was called years before Owsley when Spector did The Beatles.....
The Dead just developed the idea to the extreme..........
........and Lesh is a superb Bassist..........
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:30
Phil Spector is in jail indeed.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:28

Strip Poker - Floyd .....???? I don't make the connection.....but I think you have more important things to carry on with beyond PA. Luv ya' Kati ....

hahasha Tom how our paths have not crossed each other here is crazy hahaha!!!  
This is for you and Jeff Beck on guitars, one of the best albums too to date Thumbs UpHeartThumbs UpRoger Waters - Amused To Death xxx big Hughttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUbxZHQcOTs&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwPrHo40qr1-pvZEZcejDeOw&index=15

Edited by Kati - November 18 2014 at 05:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>