Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canterbury Scene Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2023 at 09:47
The Muffins are a glorious band, you should check out their bandcamp pages. There is a wonderful 13 CD boxset of all the previously unreleased live material from their full history. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2023 at 06:22
A-Z of Canterbury Scene Artists

3 stars 2001: National Health - Playtime - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeuRhBmYp4

NATIONAL HEALTH were a Canterbury Scene outfit formed from the remnants of Hatfield & the North and Gilgamesh. The band featured Dave Stewart on keyboards (who later went on to form a duo with Barbara Gaskin in the 1980's), Phil Miller on electric guitar, Neil Murray on fretless bass, Pip Pyle on drums and percussion and Amanda Parsons on vocals. National Health recorded three albums during their brief time in the spotlight:- "National Health" (1977); Of Queues and Cures (1978); and "D.S. Al Coda" (1982). It's time now to take out a prescription for National Health's first album and find out if music really is the best medicine.

The album opens with the bright and sparkling "Tenemos Roads". Running at over fourteen minutes long, it's a complex improvisational and uplifting piece of music with some truly dynamic keyboard virtuosity from Dave Stewart, with Amanda Parsons' lovely soprano vocals soaring up up and away into the wild blue yonder like a high-flying bird. It may be hard to discern the lyrics to discover what "Tenemos Roads" is all about, so here's a brief taster:- "From the cradle to the grave, There are roads for us all, That we'll find, and follow to the end, Leading upwards to a place in the stars, Ten million miles away, There's a path called Tenemos Roads" ..... This warm and inviting opening number is like a radiant sunburst of glowing rainbow colours that's guaranteed to brighten up the the dullest of days. It's All That Jazz and a lot more besides and just what the doctor ordered.

Next up is the 10-minute-long "Brujo" which transports us to calmer climes with a gorgeous pastoral woodwind opening, conjuring up images of gently rolling green pastures bathed in warm golden sunshine. This serves as a prelude to another sunburst session of wild improvisational Jazz-Rock with some ethereal vocalese ad-libbing from Amanda Parsons. The music is positively aglow with complex time signatures, dynamic changes of tempo and some delightful keyboard flights of fancy from Dave Stewart. In other words, it's everything we've come to expect in the best Canterbury Scene music. Apparently, "Brujo" is Spanish for sorcerer, so just lie back and let this music weave its magical spell on you.

The first two pieces of music on Side Two "Borogoves (Excerpt from Part Two)" followed by "Borogoves (Part One)" seem strangely back to front, but putting that minor detail aside, "Borogoves" is a complex and compelling 10-minute piece of music where the listener never quite knows what's coming next upon first hearing. To try and put such a dynamic improvisational piece of music into words would do it a disservice, other than to say it's intricate and invigorating Jazzy music with more than enough unexpected twists and turns to keep any Canterbury Scene fan happy, and just in case anyone's wondering what a "Borogove" is, it's a silly mythical bird invented by Lewis Carroll for his nonsense poem, "Jabberwocky".

There are "Elephants" in the room for the final piece of music, which turns out to be a 14-minute-long free-flight instrumental jam session. It's another complex Jazz-Rock composition containing undecipherable lyrics, with the music sounding as marvellously wild and unpredictable as a stampede of "Elephants". It's an endlessly entertaining combination of gentle pastoral flute and keyboard passages and wild uninhibited outbursts of unrestrained Canterbury Scene music.

"National Health" is a playful and passionate avant-garde demonstration of evergreen Canterbury Scene music at its best, featuring an accomplished and experienced group of musicians who are really in their element with this eclectic and endlessly diverse album. Sometimes the Jazzy music is manic and unrestrained, and sometimes it's pleasant and pastoral, but it's always energetic and exhilarating. National Health is just the prescription you need for some lively Canterbury Scene Jazz.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 14 2023 at 17:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2023 at 06:08
^ Ideally, I was looking for full YouTube album links, but all I could find were a few isolated songs for the Palindrome album, so either way, I was a bit miffed by The Muffins through no fault of their own. Confused

Anyway, coming up next are National Health, which is just the prescription I need. Smile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2023 at 05:41
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

THE MUFFINS       Echo Beach anyone? No, it's not Martha & the Muffins. These are The Muffins, a Canterbury Scene band from Washington D.C, and out of the eight albums recorded so far, the only Muffins music currently available on YouTube is from their 2010 Palindrome album, and either way you look at it, it's a pretty good album. Smile

1978: The Muffins - Manna/Mirage
                 1981: The Muffins - 185
                 1993: The Muffins - Chronometers
                 2002: The Muffins - Bandwidth
                 2004: The Muffins - Double Negative
                 2005: The Muffins - Loveletter #2: The Ra Sessions 
3 stars 2010: The Muffins - Palindrome
                 2012: The Muffins - Mother Tongue

Funny: I found multiple songs on YouTube from every one of those albums but Loveletter #2 and Mother Tongue. Is YouTube different in the UK than it is in the USA--like the digital codes for videos used to be different in the 1980s? Or is it just that you only want to listen to "whole albums" not individual songs?

Also, Dave Newhouse has made every one of those albums available on Bandcamp--so you can listen to them for free with great sound any time you wish!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2023 at 01:15

THE MUFFINS       Echo Beach anyone? No, it's not Martha & the Muffins. These are The Muffins, a Canterbury Scene band from Washington D.C, and out of the eight albums recorded so far, the only Muffins music currently available on YouTube is from their 2010 Palindrome album, and either way you look at it, it's a pretty good album. Smile

1978: The Muffins - Manna/Mirage
                 1981: The Muffins - 185
                 1993: The Muffins - Chronometers
                 2002: The Muffins - Bandwidth
                 2004: The Muffins - Double Negative
                 2005: The Muffins - Loveletter #2: The Ra Sessions 
3 stars 2010: The Muffins - Palindrome
                 2012: The Muffins - Mother Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 13 2023 at 01:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2023 at 06:07

MR. SIRIUS      Konnichiwa! Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky. So bright in fact that you can see it all the way from Japan, and that's where you'll find Mr. Sirius - the brightest rising sons (and daughter) in the Canterbury Scene. Mr. Sirius cleverly combines classical music with  the best melodic prog of Camel and The Enid, and with the added attraction of an angelic female vocalist too, creating the perfect blend of Symphonic Prog and Canterbury Scene music. Thumbs Up

5 stars 1987: Mr. Sirius - Barren Dream - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDfZo7wThFw
 5 stars 1990: Mr. Sirius - Dirge - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZAi2zyNLdY

Meanwhile, in the McEnroe household, all is not well at the breakfast table.....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2023 at 03:24

MOVING GELATINE PLATES     Bonjour! They may be from the other side of the English Channel, but this French band are as close to the classic Canterbury Scene sound as you can possible get. Moving Gelatine Plates' unique brand of sophisticated jazz may be a little too off-kilter and wobbly (like a jelly!?) for some, but for Canterbury Scene fans, their three plate-spinning marvels are works of pure Genius! Thumbs Up

3 stars 1971: Moving Gelatine Plates - Moving Gelatine Plates - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lcyR8RvLW41ztn8ou18nHE1wbkOoT8GPM
 3 stars 1972: Moving Gelatine Plates - The World of Genius Hans - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ml5nVP3Lkkn7YlSinSadzytnnTbSb8JN4
 3 stars 1980: Moving Gelatine Plates - Moving

Harry Enfield's Yorkshireman George Whitebread knows a thing or two about sophistication too. He's been to Leeds! Tongue

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2023 at 06:17

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

MATCHING MOLE       A Soft Machine spin-off band formed by Robert Wyatt alongside Canterbury Scene regulars Dave Sinclair and Phil Miller. Somewhat inevitably, Matching Mole reminds me of Morrisons Supermarkets' loyalty cards, and anyone from England who shops at Morrisons will know exactly what I mean. Wink

<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> 2 stars 1972: Matching Mole - Matching Mole - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLky8Mxrvk-585VPbIQb9EGLUarvnkDZL9
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> 2 stars 1972: Matching Mole - Little Red Record - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lOfEh9I7eEne8hGui7zPVu1IbaEJQYmLM

only 2 Stars for MM ?

Sorry. I can't really dig Matching Mole. I much prefer Moleslope (featured here earlier), or even better, a Matching Mole card at Morrisons, then I can get a discount on my groceries. Tongue

No problem Paul , it is just a mater of choice , thanks for your answer
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2023 at 00:05
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

MATCHING MOLE       A Soft Machine spin-off band formed by Robert Wyatt alongside Canterbury Scene regulars Dave Sinclair and Phil Miller. Somewhat inevitably, Matching Mole reminds me of Morrisons Supermarkets' loyalty cards, and anyone from England who shops at Morrisons will know exactly what I mean. Wink

<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> 2 stars 1972: Matching Mole - Matching Mole - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLky8Mxrvk-585VPbIQb9EGLUarvnkDZL9
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> 2 stars 1972: Matching Mole - Little Red Record - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lOfEh9I7eEne8hGui7zPVu1IbaEJQYmLM

only 2 Stars for MM ?
Sorry. I can't really dig Matching Mole. I much prefer Moleslope (featured here earlier), or even better, a Matching Mole card at Morrisons, then I can get a discount on my groceries. Tongue
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 15:27

only 2 Stars for MM ?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 10:33

MOOM     Toot-toot. Zooming all the way in from Northampton now are Moom, and they're rather good too. Moom recorded their first album in just nine days with the help of Robert John Godfrey of The Enid, and in the highly likely event that you're unable to find the album in the shops, you can find it on tape in the Helicopter Tortoise Collection. Yes, seriously! Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 08 2023 at 23:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 04:31

MOLESLOPE      Be kind to moles as you just never know what hidden treasure you may unearth, but only if you happen to be digging around in Tokyo. Yes, this band of rising sons (and a woman from Tokyo too) are a band I can really dig and they're a welcome improvement over their inspiration and namesakes: Matching Mole. Smile

4 stars 2019: Moleslope - Slope - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afPFRAzn5lA
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 18:19
Miller is a lovely guitarist, I love his work in Canterbury bands and like his jazz stuff.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 17:13
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I used to listen to Matching Mole quite often, yet the last time I heard them it was not as good as I remember. Tastes change I reckon.

But, still highly impressed with Phil Miller and his jazz luminaries.

The only slight problem I have with Phil Miller's albums is they all sound very similar and it's hard to tell them apart. At the end of the day though, it's all a question of Mind Over Matter.... I don't Mind a bit of Jazz, but my opinions on Canterbury Scene music don't really Matter. Tongue

I doubt if I'll be listening to Matching Mole again any time soon though. Wink
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 16:56
I used to listen to Matching Mole quite often, yet the last time I heard them it was not as good as I remember. Tastes change I reckon.

But, still highly impressed with Phil Miller and his jazz luminaries.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 13:02

PHIL MILLER       You just never know quite what to expect when you're Digging In deeply to the Canterbury Scene. Amongst Recent Discoveries are the psychedelic grooves of Magic Bus with trippy albums sounding like they're recorded in a gypsy Caravan, and then within Split Seconds, if you're digging down deeply enough, you could be listening to the offbeat challenging music of Matching Mole, and then, in Parallel to that, there's also Robert Wyatt's much-loved Rock Bottom album, whose title is something of a misnomer for Canterbury Scene fans. And now, from Out of the Blue comes Phil Miller, Cutting Both Ways with All That Jazz and much more besides, In Cahoots with various other jazz luminaries, including a Double Up with bassist Fred Thelonious Baker. Take it away Phil. It's Miller-time! Cool

3 stars 1993: Phil Miller - In Cahoots: Live in Japan - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNZppFho2xPvIjgl_0R-GM0RIAHPVmEXs
 3 stars 1994: Phil Miller - In Cahoots: Recent Discoveries - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNZppFho2xPvOrOJ8MH7pHhViTtq-403q
 3 stars 1996: Phil Miller - In Cahoots - Parallel - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNZppFho2xPveWpZKF7-vFdn5bcBs27zn
 3 stars 2001: Phil Miller - In Cahoots: Out of the Blue - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNZppFho2xPu8ULkU26xwBfBBxPHEWYIe
 3 stars 2003: Phil Miller - In Cahoots: All That - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNZppFho2xPtRnm_Qzfa6tj_-Pd4d3q8R
 3 stars 2007: Phil Miller - In Cahoots: Conspiracy Theories - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNZppFho2xPtuwJ4l1lDGAuO1fgYqPtaM
 3 stars 2011: Phil Miller - In Cahoots: Mind Over Matter - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNZppFho2xPvhKtDr7dhLQgpdAveoo2vI

3 stars 1992: Phil Miller & Fred Baker - Double Up - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNZppFho2xPuzfoHwID4PPfgiSaiZ5LX-

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 06 2023 at 19:02
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 13:05
Master Cylinder was pretty good........had not heard of them.....
not cheap on vinyl on Discogs.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 13:00

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 05 2023 at 13:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 11:28
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

It's a lovely album

That has to be the quickest reply ever! I only posted the Master Cylinder album just a couple of minutes ago. Shocked
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 11:27
It's a lovely album
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>