Topic ClosedAnyone a fan of rap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hector Gilbert View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 17:09
I like most of the rap music that I've bothered to pursue (I have about thirty albums in the style). It's just a nice change every once in a while from rock music to hear something with more of a focus on vocal clarity. It's also very rhythm-oriented, which is a feature that makes it stylistically different from most prog rock. So I guess if prog rock to you represents something of an ideal state for all other music to live up to, you're never going to get into it. But if you want a change from your usual listening, there it is.

To those who are curious, Public Enemy's landmark album It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back and A Tribe Called Quest's The Low End Theory would be among the best albums to start with. It Takes A Nation... is very sample-heavy, but in 1988 that was the point - it was much easier/cheaper back then to take a riff here, a drum sound there and cobble it together into an entirely different context. The unrelenting sociopolitical commentaries would also be relatively palatable to those who are particularly tired of the clichés of chart rap. The Low End Theory mainly served to outline the social climate of 90s America, with a particular emphasis on the music business and the group's frustration with it. Stylistically the album showed heavy jazz influences (albeit put in the context of simple grooves) and sounds a lot less rigid then most rap music even today.
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 16:12
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

I have some hope in the genre itself but I don't think any of the rap I've heard yet is substantial. Most rap I've heard is composed of 3-5 notes repeated over and over again.

I think we need more musical rap (a thing I've personally never heard. If you know some musical rap, just tell me.)

We also need lyrics other than : f**k, bitches, ass

IMO someting interesting could come out from rap someday.

Tongue

Kanye West actually recently released a live album where he's backed by an orchestra. It's not developed as fully as it could be but it's a start.

I've not heard that Kanye West but the rap industry needs more people like him. Clap

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 16:07
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

I have some hope in the genre itself but I don't think any of the rap I've heard yet is substantial. Most rap I've heard is composed of 3-5 notes repeated over and over again.

I think we need more musical rap (a thing I've personally never heard. If you know some musical rap, just tell me.)

Tongue

Kanye West actually recently released a live album where he's backed by an orchestra. It's not developed as fully as it could be but it's a start.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 16:00

I like the hardcore,old school kind of stuff...like NWA.

And I LOVE Public Enemy.Clap

Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 16:00
NoDead!
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 15:58

Tongue

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 15:55
Personally I have little respect for it because of its lack of musicality and creativity; I see it as moving music away from an art form and transforming it into a sort of vehicle for comercial sucess, and I also believe it promotes a negative message. However as a form of singing I am greatly intrigued and believe it needs to be explored further in other styles, Pain of Salvation have used it to great sucess. I express a great deal of emotion and is rather unique.

I must admit to being recently impressed by one rapper, Kanye West. He creates some very interesting beats and backs them up with his great rapping.

EDIT: Due to a spelling error I was complimenting Kanye's ability to rape women instead of his singing, now corrected.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - June 04 2006 at 23:57
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345