Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Choices
    Posted: February 11 2018 at 10:44
I probably would have, had I remembered. Not that I would have really expected to get it back.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 20:26
You should have brought it up, it would have been beautifully awkward. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 20:10
An old schoolmate was in town for a show we were both going to see, and somehow I lent him my vinyl copy of Zappa’s Freak Out album because he said he wanted to make a t-shirt out of it. I didn’t have any contact info, and I haven’t seen him since. At least it wasn’t in great condition.

Wait,... actually I did run into him briefly at my 25-year reunion last year. But it didn’t cross my mind to bring it up, and even if it had, I think the statute of limitations has passed on that particular incident. That ship has sailed.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 18:32
Like someone else hear mentioned.Works by ElP was a big disappointment.
Rush Test For Ecco
Kyuss Circus Comes to Town
Many many more.With technology todaybI refuse to be duped anymore.
I remember buying Nillson Schmilson because of the hit song and hated the rest of the album
On another note I remember getting a couple Christmas albums from my grand parents as a teenager.
Since they had no clue the went to a record store and asked something me who worked there for help.
I ended up with a Willie Nelson Outlaws record and a Paul McCartney solo record.Both were completely not anywhere near what ai was listening to.I do Belive this was before gift cards were a thing!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 16:36
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

A lot of Avenged Sevenfold in high school was a bad choice.

Now they suck! (:
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 16:25
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I peed on an electric fence and didn't realize that the charge can travel up the stream of piss and shock me like a MF LOL

Also, i got rid of my thousands of cassettes only to find after the fact that quite a few had never been released onto CDs. I did have a good vinyl collection but most of that got stolen in a storage unit theft which i regret ever setting foot in Cry

Hey now, I thought we were only talking musical bad choices! If not, I got a few ones for ya... LOL

Here's a musical bad choice LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 10:43
Aerosmith, GNR, tired of both much more rapidly than I thought would be possible.
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 10:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ahhh... redheads....  especially those with deadly aim with pots and pans when pissed...

I've always had a think for redheads.
Ian

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 09:23
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I peed on an electric fence and didn't realize that the charge can travel up the stream of piss and shock me like a MF LOL

Also, i got rid of my thousands of cassettes only to find after the fact that quite a few had never been released onto CDs. I did have a good vinyl collection but most of that got stolen in a storage unit theft which i regret ever setting foot in Cry

Hey now, I thought we were only talking musical bad choices! If not, I got a few ones for ya... LOL

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 08:16
Talking about peeing. I developed a penchant for very hot chilli and once learned the hard way that it's good to wash your hands before taking a pee after dicing Habanero and handling it Ouch
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 07:54

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 07:48
For me, it was "Heart to Heart" by Pete Bardens.

I loved Camel, especially the keyboards, so when I found it in the bargain bin of a record store I thought "what could go wrong?"

Hmm.  Camel it's not...

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 05:00
Last time I felt let down by a band was probably the last P Tree album. Not up to scratch guys, sorry. Lost it's focus (from the start)... the big magnum opus track was some autobiographical stuff from SW. P Tree had high standards and had they existed in the 70s they'd be venerated as one of the greats.

Now I always try before I buy. And I always want the complete album not the ones without the bonus cuts.

Glad someone mentioned Ramshackled earlier. I thought it was just me but I recall the album was, well, awful.

I liked Testaments Ritual (also mentioned earlier) but I was never thrash community material. I'd give it 3 stars which is all most albums can reasonably expect. There was another (title? Cover was some black hooded deathly types). Started with some nice Spanish guitar and then every track proceeded with same guitar sounds so everything sounded like everything else. Tedious. Mind you I loaned a copy of Scorpions Love drive to a pal who didn't like it cause th material was all different throughout. Funny old world.

Heard Heaven And Earth enough to know it won't be existing in the collection. Still not yet heard Open Your Eyes. Maybe one day. At least it has Anderson present. I don't mind different singers as such but writing is a very different matter. Stay at tribute band level.

Still wonder why people regard OK Computer as godly. God awful for me. It actually had me writhing putting up wit those awful guitars...

Oh yes, for once a disappointing Sabbath release. Forbidden. Everyone has a classic and Guilty As Hell works for me but for the most part... no.

And try as I might the last Rush album just blurs into a memory of over processed guitars. No dynamics, no tunes really. No wonder people like the last track. What a relief... (And I still really like Rush).

Somethings don't really take off (Rattle That Lock) but love On An Island. The album sequel to Fat Old Sun for me.

I had heard early Journey and thought they were great. I'd heard so much about Journey that a while back I should find out what the fuss was about. Alas I'll never know. 4 songs in to the compilation and I knew I could not take any more.

Oh I know. I shelled out once for the first two Tool albums. I now have 100,000 Days but those first two were exchanged for Camel CDs before I got the hump anymore. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:42
^Yes...but maybe that's because we like em.
So what band do you like that we can openly ridicule my good lord?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:34
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Another regret: Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree.  I liked InAbsentia pretty well and loved Deadwing, but found FoaBP either derivative or dreary.  So many reviewers on Prog Archives raved about the album I thought it had to be a winner.  Nope. Snooze-fest. Turned me off to the band almost completely and I never want to buy another album by them ever again, no matter what anybody might have to say.

But if you ever got the DVD of Steven Wilson playing the music form Blank Planet, it's actually quite brilliant if you ask me. I also found the album a bit dreary as well, but the DVD is anything but...

Does anyone seriously expect P Tree to be anything but a minor key experience?
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 22:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Honestly, I can not say that I have made a lot of "bad choices" ... mostly with (progressive) radio around me in the early days, and then by having the collection strong enough to not need any more radio, the ability to make "bad choices" ... takes a back seat.

I am not sure that I go around and say that this Picasso is good, and that one is bad. Likewise, I do not say that this album by Dream Theater is good, and that one is bad ... it's the same ARTIST and PERSON, and they are entitled to their voice just like we are, however, we come off as self-righteous (so religious of us!!!) when we say things like that, is my opinion.

I prefer to have some respect for the artistry involved, even if it is not my preference. Ex: I'm not a country music fan, but it would be hideous and stupid if I did not admit that some of those folks have a heck of a very nice voice to sing with!

The artistry is the thing! Not our opinions!

An album is a piece of art, like a painting, or a poem, or a film. The artist puts it out in the domain and then individuals listen to it and make up their own minds about it. If enough individuals like it and buy it, the artist is encouraged by the demand and then makes more albums. That's why art shouldn't be free. There needs to be a price on art to encourage the artist to make more art.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 21:54
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Another regret: Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree.  I liked InAbsentia pretty well and loved Deadwing, but found FoaBP either derivative or dreary.  So many reviewers on Prog Archives raved about the album I thought it had to be a winner.  Nope. Snooze-fest. Turned me off to the band almost completely and I never want to buy another album by them ever again, no matter what anybody might have to say.

But if you ever got the DVD of Steven Wilson playing the music form Blank Planet, it's actually quite brilliant if you ask me. I also found the album a bit dreary as well, but the DVD is anything but...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 17:52
ahhh... redheads....  especially those with deadly aim with pots and pans when pissed...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 12:50
Just saying I have nothing against boots as long as they offer something that hasn´t released before. I think boot-versions to original (I mean exactly same labels etc.) sucks. Because there are naive people like me, who automatically can´t understand from the price it´s boot (also I can think sellers who at least try to sell them as originals with high prices). The reason why I am not often buying boots is you never know the quality. Some of them has good reputation, for example Swingin Pig I already mentioned.

Of course I am thinking the artist should be the first one to get the money from his art, but that´s another story...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 12:03
The Man and The Journey is an excellent sounding bootleg.
So are several Utopia boots I own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>