Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Christmas present will I like best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which Of These would you pick?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [31.67%]
27 [45.00%]
14 [23.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Christmas present will I like best?
    Posted: December 21 2018 at 14:18
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I already own all three.  I like my "Christmas comes early" present of a pristine Singer 401a sewing machine. 

In the UK a Misplaced Childhood equals a Starless & Bible Black future.   

Firstly, Ditto. Secondly my Christmas comes early present is a pristine Volvo 240GL estate (30+ years old- ive wanted one for YEARS!!!). Thirdly ClapClapClapWinkWink

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 10:23
I saw that they had a few left in stock on Amazon also, but according to one review, that 2016 remastered version is supposed to sound awful.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 08:48
^ I saw a few floating around on Amazon.  I usually send links to her of CD's & musical equipment to make it easy. 

Edited by Argo2112 - December 20 2018 at 08:49
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 23:07
Not sure where your wife(aka Santa)is going to find that first UK album since it's been out of print for a long time. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 11:17
I already own all three.  I like my "Christmas comes early" present of a pristine Singer 401a sewing machine. 

In the UK a Misplaced Childhood equals a Starless & Bible Black future.   
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 10:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

S&BB is, in my humble opinion of course, a low-point in Crimso's catalog, not better than Discipline (though The Night Watch is great).
What?
Angry Them's fighten' words! LOL
Here, here! Anyway, it's a remastered UK (is there such an animal?).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 12:04
King Crimson > UK > Marillion
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 02:37
Well. All three are pop sensations of course of the pure teen appeal. As previously noted and who am I to dispute.

Fracture's the greatest moment.

UK is probably the most perfect of the lot. The spirit of Allan Holdworth floats around now saying, sod jazz, I should've been a pop idol contender.

Except for Misplaced Childhood which despite no teen appeal at all is still pretty good. Death metal RIO thrash Kayleigh drills deep.

The question is... do you get the bog standard releases all of which are shorter than a King Crimson EP now; or get the luxury expanded box set editions?

Pop,pop, pop muzik...

;)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 07:47
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by rminsk rminsk wrote:

As much as I like "Starless", I have come to enjoy Rachel Flowers version way better.
The problem is "Starless" is on the album "Red."  We are talking about the album and "Starless" is not on "Starless and Bible Black."

Cleaned up ... my apologies ... geeeezzzz ... I'm getting old!

I'm pretty sure someone hacked his account...Mosh 'the pure spirit' would never have made that kind of mistakes. lol

AND, I have those albums, which tells you I was working off memory, not because I decided to put them on, which would have clarified the KC issue faster for me.

I do make silly booboos at 68 ... like I will be in the middle of watching SAUVE QUI PEUT (Godard! I can never quit that son of a gun!), and I get up, pause the film, go to the kitchen ... and ... what? ... I needed to go to the bathroom instead!

So, yeah, the Christmas present I want is not a new CD or a new Remaster ... I want more of my  mind back! I can organize things better when trying to say something, but at times, I wonder what i wanted to say originally ... so nowadays, to improve that, I write ALL RESPONSES on NOTEPAD first, and read them a couple of times ... and maybe I will be able to like UK better this time! I really was not into that stuff (including Asia) because I was heavily into the French, Germans and Italians at the time ... and honestly, I felt that some of these others had lost their spark, and decided to go for the money, instead ... it was so obvious in the quality of the material it's not funny!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 03:59
Christmas in your house will be amazing!

They're all great, but SABB is the best.
Songs cast a light on you
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 03:50
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

S&BB is, in my humble opinion of course, a low-point in Crimso's catalog, not better than Discipline (though The Night Watch is great).
What? Angry Them's fighten' words! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 02:45
In my country we hardly practice the giving of Christmas presents. We've just had Sinterklaas come over. Moreover, two of these albums are already in my collection and I care very little for the third.

But... to answer the question:

Marillion. I loved that album back in the day. My tastes have shifted a bit in the direction of UK's debut since then.

Edited by someone_else - December 07 2018 at 02:48
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 21:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I was never able to warm up to UK, so not that one for me.

It's not a warm album.

Perhaps that's the problem, perhaps I should chill out with it instead of trying to warm up to it...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 13:08
KC........then UK.....I never really warmed up to Marillion.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 12:28
Can't go wrong with any of the 3, but Starless & Bible Black is head and shoulders above the others Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 12:10
UK just over SaBB.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 11:53

As much as I like "Starless", I have come to enjoy Rachel Flowers version way better.
The problem is "Starless" is on the album "Red."  We are talking about the album and "Starless" is not on "Starless and Bible Black."

I'm pretty sure someone hacked his account...Mosh 'the pure spirit' would never have made that kind of mistakes. lol
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 09:37
Can't go wrong with any of them, but that's no help.

You probably have heard Marillion and Crim before, so take a trip to the UK.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 08:31
I'm partial to Marillion for this poll, although UK would also be a very good choice.
I can't comment on the KC pick, unfortunately.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 07:55

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>