Rolling Stone Top 500 All Time Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rolling Stone Top 500 All Time Albums
    Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:43
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Catcher10, all I wanted was to explain my point of view, and in doing so I needed a musical example. I have done so before with other types of music. I'm not telling anyone to like rap music. If it doesn't appeal to them, it's perfectly fine. As I've already said, I don't listen that much to rap, and there are many of these albums in the RS list that don't do it for me.

What hurt me was your comment about only posting rap songs in another site. Joke or not, it felt like bullying, and it felt derogatory. You don't have to agree with me, but please respect my right to arguing. I was trying to be sober and objective.
Sorry, I will not joke with you anymore.......and your 100% right you can post ANYTHING here you want to.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:40
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Unless a list is voted by music fans it's totally illigimate. If you want a better view of what the publuc actually likes check out the top 5000 list of rate your music

I don't look at RYM, but this list I'll check out. Thanks!

What about lists by JUST music artists? If you remove all the business people and journalists, who really are fans but with an agenda, does that list have weight?
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 10:32
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I think you should re-read what you wrote........I've been on here for too long for ANYONE to make me worry or be concerned about what I think.
And yet you keep replying.... 🙄

Your recent posts infer that you are upset at people on PA for not showing some interest in rap, having a closed mind.

My posts infer nothing. At best they can imply, but never infer. Rather, it is you who infers from my posts. And at no point have I ever been upset about anyone not showing some interest in hip hop. Like yourself, I couldn’t care less about what others choose to like or dislike. My only argument was not about whether or not people should be interested in hip hop, but whether or not it should be dismissed for the reasons people were giving (including yourself). You made a claim that hip hop is mainly concerned with lyrics. Had you said rap, I might not have picked you up on it, and my post might have been a reply to someone else. As I said, it was never an attack on you. Given that three of the four corners of hip hop do not concern themselves with lyrical content at all, it is clearly erroneous to suggest that hip hop is mainly concerned with lyrics.

If they don't I could careless, no skin off my back one way or the other.

And yet, again, you keep replying. 🤪

Rap is a toxic genre not only here but on many rock focused forums.....proof is how many other members here have contributed to the rap discussion?? Including myself what maybe 4 people..?

Toxic in what way? Or do you merely mean disinteresting. Once again it is the choice of description that makes me respond (by which I do not mean once again it is you, in case I need to make that clear). Because toxic is a rather negative word to use, if you mean that people are not constituting because they are not interested - which is fine with me, because that’s how forums work. No one expects discussion from people who are disinterested.

I have, though, thoroughly enjoyed the contributions from those who have been openminded.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 10:24
Unless a list is voted by music fans it's totally illigimate. If you want a better view of what the publuc actually likes check out the top 5000 list of rate your music

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 10:23
Catcher10, all I wanted was to explain my point of view, and in doing so I needed a musical example. I have done so before with other types of music. I'm not telling anyone to like rap music. If it doesn't appeal to them, it's perfectly fine. As I've already said, I don't listen that much to rap, and there are many of these albums in the RS list that don't do it for me.

What hurt me was your comment about only posting rap songs in another site. Joke or not, it felt like bullying, and it felt derogatory. You don't have to agree with me, but please respect my right to arguing. I was trying to be sober and objective.

Edited by The Anders - January 02 2021 at 10:24
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 09:38
To bad this forum does not have a block feature......LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 09:36
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I'm so sorry I hurt someone's feelings by posting a rap song. I honestly didn't know it was one of the most controversial things you could ever do on Progarchives. Especially not since the topic was the Rolling Stone top 500 which contains a lot of rap albums, and a lot of comments in the thread were about their presence in the list and whether they should be there or not...

Oddly enough I posted a link to an entire rap album, prior to your posting a rap song - and apart fro, being accused of being pretentious, I didn’t receive anywhere near the reaction you did. I guess the embedded video was more obvious. Some people here do seem to overreact in a rather melodramatic fashion. It’s kind of amusing.

There have been some rather good albums this year, too, with rapped vocals.

My favourite live album from all I heard in 2020, for a start:

I accused you of being pretentious because you approached me as believing I had no clue about rap with a slight holier than thou attitude as well trying to school me on jazz.......If you don't like that then make sure next time you understand where someone comes from before hand.
You really should not hide behind talking as if people are not listening...Not sure who you have a problem with here regarding rap, but its sure not me. If your mad because I don't like the new rap LOL that is your problem...Go bark up someone else's tree LOL

Wonder who else is melodramatic here on PA??

You. Again! 😄

The only thing I can think is this is due to the written word being far easier to misconstrue than speaking face to face. I had no holier than thou attitude (your inference, not my implications. I most definitely did not try to school you on jazz, as it was obvious from your post that you appreciated that genre. Nor did I ever believe you had no clue about rap. Basically everything you took from my words was almost the exact opposite of what I intended. Remember, offence is generally taken, and not given - and it seems to have been your choice to take offence. I’m not mad with you, and I have no problem with you. Finally, not sure what you mean by new rap, given my point was that rap was always been progressive and experimental, and so I was certainly not concerned about newer rap being better or more interesting or similar.

All I can suggest is that you go read again what I wrote, with the knowledge that what you have taken from my words was not what I intended. If you don’t wish to do that, that’s fine with me. I was never setting out to address concerns with you, in particular. I was speaking generally, and you choose to take it personally. It really doesn’t worry me what you think, though, so I’m not at all concerned if you find me pretentious, patronising or condescending, or any other such adjective.

A forum is only ever as good as the differences of opinion gathered within. If we all felt the same, and believed the same, then there would be nothing to discuss. So carry on, but you sound tome like you’re playing the victim, when I know you never attacked..... 🤷🏻‍♂️
(Yes, that’s my inference from your written word, and I’m well aware I may have misconstrued.)

I think you should re-read what you wrote........I've been on here for too long for ANYONE to make me worry or be concerned about what I think.
Your recent posts infer that you are upset at people on PA for not showing some interest in rap, having a closed mind. If you go back I had already stated a reason for me posting the RS list was because we (prog fans) normally have the most open minds about music and maybe it will inspire some to go listen to something on the list they have no clue on......If they don't I could careless, no skin off my back one way or the other.
Rap is a toxic genre not only here but on many rock focused forums.....proof is how many other members here have contributed to the rap discussion?? Including myself what maybe 4 people..?

Carry on....
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 03:51

Yes please do not post anymore rap videos, the thread is not about rap....You can start a thread on it if you like.....On another website!! ClapLOL
While it appears you are joking, this is a discussion within the General Music Discussion of the forum, and rap is music. Furthermore, any discussion of rap in this discussion comes from its inclusion in the list that is the topic of this discussion.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 03:45

I'm so sorry I hurt someone's feelings by posting a rap song. I honestly didn't know it was one of the most controversial things you could ever do on Progarchives. Especially not since the topic was the Rolling Stone top 500 which contains a lot of rap albums, and a lot of comments in the thread were about their presence in the list and whether they should be there or not...

Oddly enough I posted a link to an entire rap album, prior to your posting a rap song - and apart fro, being accused of being pretentious, I didn’t receive anywhere near the reaction you did. I guess the embedded video was more obvious. Some people here do seem to overreact in a rather melodramatic fashion. It’s kind of amusing.

I accused you of being pretentious because you approached me as believing I had no clue about rap with a slight holier than thou attitude as well trying to school me on jazz.......If you don't like that then make sure next time you understand where someone comes from before hand.
You really should not hide behind talking as if people are not listening...Not sure who you have a problem with here regarding rap, but its sure not me. If your mad because I don't like the new rap LOL that is your problem...Go bark up someone else's tree LOL

You. Again! 😄

The only thing I can think is this is due to the written word being far easier to misconstrue than speaking face to face. I had no holier than thou attitude (your inference, not my implications. I most definitely did not try to school you on jazz, as it was obvious from your post that you appreciated that genre. Nor did I ever believe you had no clue about rap. Basically everything you took from my words was almost the exact opposite of what I intended. Remember, offence is generally taken, and not given - and it seems to have been your choice to take offence. I’m not mad with you, and I have no problem with you. Finally, not sure what you mean by new rap, given my point was that rap was always been progressive and experimental, and so I was certainly not concerned about newer rap being better or more interesting or similar.

All I can suggest is that you go read again what I wrote, with the knowledge that what you have taken from my words was not what I intended. If you don’t wish to do that, that’s fine with me. I was never setting out to address concerns with you, in particular. I was speaking generally, and you choose to take it personally. It really doesn’t worry me what you think, though, so I’m not at all concerned if you find me pretentious, patronising or condescending, or any other such adjective.

A forum is only ever as good as the differences of opinion gathered within. If we all felt the same, and believed the same, then there would be nothing to discuss. So carry on, but you sound to me like you’re playing the victim, when I know you were never attacked..... 🤷🏻‍♂️
(Yes, that’s my inference from your written word, and I’m well aware I may have misconstrued.)

Edited by nick_h_nz - January 02 2021 at 10:34
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 23:53

The whole point of social media is to exchange opinions on an topic.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 20:41

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 14:58
Yeah the way some people get so fired up and go out of their way to write off hip hop around here is kinda sad. It's clear many of these people have this one-size-fits-all negative idea of rap in their head based off maybe what they've heard playing in the backround of movies or heard some noisy car blasting when it drives by. But much of it, and certainly the best of it is highly artistic and very meticulously put together blends of different styles. Full of Melody and Harmony, despite what some folks who have probably never actually listened to hip hop will tell you. For people who are supposed to be fans of progressive and forward thinking music, many folks have very shallow and narrow minded views towards music as a whole. If you can't understand the most popular and arguably most culturally impactful style of music of the last couple decades holding a prominent place on the list, maybe hip hop isn't the issue... but really imagine hearing To Pimp a Butterfly and not thinking it's progressive.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - January 01 2021 at 14:58
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 14:40
Indeed. I myself am not so much a fan of prog metal, but I acknowlegde its quailites, and I can understand why people like it.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 14:27

Also, the song doesn't start unless you click play. If people don't want to listen to it, they don't have to play it.

Thanks for the link. Listening now, I really like what I hear. Jazz and rap often make an interesting combination.

They sure do, and the majority of hip hop I’ve listened to this year has been a fusion of jazz and hip hop (eg Moses Boyd, Leron Thomas and Pan Amsterdam). The combination of rap with actual instrumentation is almost always interesting to me.

Basically, I’m not surprised at all that there is hip hop in a list of the greatest albums of all time, and would be far more surprised (and disappointed) if there were not. I guess I’m disappointed (thought not surprised) by the attitude of some here, that hip hop can not be prog(ressive), as it clearly can. Not everyone likes prog folk or prog metal, but are still willing to accept it can and does exist, even if it is not to their liking. It always seems weird to me, since because of the nature of the music they listen to, you’d think prog fans would be the most open-minded. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 14:02

Also, the song doesn't start unless you click play. If people don't want to listen to it, they don't have to play it.

Thanks for the link. Listening now, I really like what I hear. Jazz and rap often make an interesting combination.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 13:51

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 13:41
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 11:55
Wow.....what a crappy list.
Ermm
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 09:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

All I know is that hell has officially frozen over because a Yes album actually made the list(close to the edge at number 445). 

LOL....Well Wakeman was one of the voters, sooooo LOL

I'm still giddy that CAN made the list

The caped crusader was a voter? Wow. Yeah, that explains it. LOL If Eddie Offord was a voter no Yes would make the list. Maybe ELP though.Tongue
Yea I was shocked to see his name as one of the voters, but I think he is a "friend" within RS world, his solo albums and work with Yes I think are respected among RS writers.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 09:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Your not gonna get much feedback on this site with posting a rap song. Again, I know more than enough about what goes into composing arranging the words for a rap song. I agree with you it’s a lot more involved than many think.

On the subject of Rap, I think Pigmeat Markham's "Here Comes the Judge" (1968) was the first Rap song, but who cares anyway. I'll spare you all by not posting the video. Smile
Yes please do not post anymore rap videos, the thread is not about rap....You can start a thread on it if you like.....On another website!! ClapLOL

Edited by Catcher10 - January 01 2021 at 09:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>