Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van Der Graaf Generator
    Posted: November 09 2005 at 10:20
I started on VDGG with Pawn Hearts... and it didn't work out particularly well. I listened to it 5-10 times, but couldn't really get into it. Determined not to be discouraged, I tried out Godbluff... and I was hooked on that right away. Following a pile of listens to Godbluff, I went back, listened to Pawn Hearts and quickly fell in love with that one too. It was like the music suddenly made more sense after I listened to Godbluff. Now, I'm a big fan of the band.

So, my advice would be to start off with Godbluff. That's what worked for me, at least.
wombat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2005 at 08:14
Harold Demure View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 08:55
I always loved besides Pawn Hearts also H To He. I think IT is what Petra is searching for - very powerful and dynamic tracks IMO, eg. Pioneers Over C, Emperor In His War Room. If my memory doesn't fail me, this album was the first that made me fell in love with VDGG.
You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice
John View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 08:05
Whether traditionally melodic and harmonic or harsh and dissonant,
whether rythmically straightforward or or odd, VDGG is always extremely
MUSICAL!
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 04:34

Originally posted by Petra Petra wrote:

This thread is a little bit irrelevant now

Well, it demostrates one may grow to like some music s/he doesn't like at first!

Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 03:57
I picked up Godbluff a couple of years ago, and wasn't overly impressed by it.  However, I've recently downloaded the VdGG and Peter Hammill MP3s which are here, and have enjoyed them.  So once I've finished listening to the large number of CDs I've bought recently, I'm going to give Godbluff another try.
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark
Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 12:23

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Look at the dates, chaps. Petra posted this nearly a year ago. Since then I'm pretty sure she's learnt to appreciate some VDGG. Especially considering as her avatar is now of Gnidrolog's Lady Lake which has more than a passing similarity to VDGG.

EXACTLY!!

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 12:22

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

The first album of VdGG I ever listened to was "Godbluff". I liked the music, but couldn't cope with the voice at all. I forced myself to listen to the music trying to ignore the voice. Suddenly, I don't know how and when, I realized the way Hammill sings is the exact right way to bring his lyrics across, and I did a full 180 degree turn. Today I think Hammill is the best voice in rock, and nothing compares to him. Friede and I have all albums of VdGG and PH (some 50 or 60+), and none rates below 3; most of them higher, and some, like "Pawn Hearts", "Godbluff", "Vital" (yes, "Vital"!) or "The Fall of the House of Usher" (to name a few) get 5 stars from me.
My advice is: Listen to the voice while studying the lyric sheet. If you don't get into the singing then, there is no help for you; Hammill just isn't your cup of tea then.
And the same goes for the music that accompanies the lyrics. It absolutely "fits". In no other music there is such a tight relation between lyrics, music and singing as in the music of VdGG and Hammill. It is extremely "dense". Perhaps this "density" is too much for some.

Oh boy!! I agree totally with what you say and as soon as i got used to his voice i enjoyed them! 

This thread was one of my very first posts over a year ago!!! I am now a bit of a Hammill fan, infact i prefer his solo albums especially In Camera and Nadir's Big Chance to a lot of VDGG. But why do i always think that Hammill is kind of taking the mick a little, with his singing?

The simple fact is that with a certain amount of exposure to a genre of music you do grow to appreciate it more and during the past year my music tastes have changed dramtatically, for the better of course!

This thread is a little bit irrelevant now

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 12:17
Look at the dates, chaps. Petra posted this nearly a year ago. Since then I'm pretty sure she's learnt to appreciate some VDGG. Especially considering as her avatar is now of Gnidrolog's Lady Lake which has more than a passing similarity to VDGG.
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 12:12
I'd back off its not worth forcing yourself to like it.  Either you do or you don't.  But I would start with the earlier albums, the 2nd period stuff can get a tad boring.
Dennis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 12:01
I agree with most of the posts that recommend "Pawn Hearts." Petra, if you don't like this album, then you will never like any other VDGG album or any of Peter Hammill's solo material. Most of the material is dark, brooding, and technical prog, and not for the faint of heart, which often includes terrifying musical passages, along with (at times) Peter Hammill's equally terrifying lyrics . If you like soft, sweet prog such as Yes, then VDGG is not for you. But if you lean to the dark side, then "Pawn Hearts" is where it's at! Most prog-heads will rate this album in the top 10 classic prog albums of all time. It is simply an outstanding, timless classic. I don't want you to waste your money, so go for this one. If you don't like it, then it's over!  

Edited by Dennis
"Day dawns dark, it now numbers infinity"
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 11:28
Originally posted by DarHobo DarHobo wrote:

Geez, I thought this was a Prog Site, you guys are all complaining about "How hard it is to get into"....

You'll meet a lot of very different types of music fan here. Not everyone likes prog for the challenge, alas.

DarHobo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 11:24

Geez, I thought this was a Prog Site, you guys are all complaining about "How hard it is to get into"....

TURK182! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 11:21

Hello Petra, you've said in your post "Where's the music", I think that if you're searching about intense passages or loud melodies, maybe "Still Life" is not a good start for you even if it's my fave album from VDGG. You know, VDGG cannot be appreciate after ten listening in one week. It took me about 2 or years of listening few albums to appreciate.

If you want strong music instead of strong lyrics, I strongly recommend you "At Least What We Can Do Is To Wave To Each Others?", their second offering.

The sax and keyboard it's very powerfull in the opening track. (You know VDGG dont cocentrate their music on guitar.)

But, I agree also with people here that Pawn hearts is not difficult to like it!!!

Good luck and I hope you will be able to enjoy one of the best ever prog group (IMO)

"A Flower!!!"
"If you go down to Willow farm, you look for Butterflies..."
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 11:20

I should pay attention. I have repeated myself in this thread....

I guess somethings need no end of emphasis....

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 10:54
The first album of VdGG I ever listened to was "Godbluff". I liked the music, but couldn't cope with the voice at all. I forced myself to listen to the music trying to ignore the voice. Suddenly, I don't know how and when, I realized the way Hammill sings is the exact right way to bring his lyrics across, and I did a full 180 degree turn. Today I think Hammill is the best voice in rock, and nothing compares to him. Friede and I have all albums of VdGG and PH (some 50 or 60+), and none rates below 3; most of them higher, and some, like "Pawn Hearts", "Godbluff", "Vital" (yes, "Vital"!) or "The Fall of the House of Usher" (to name a few) get 5 stars from me.
My advice is: Listen to the voice while studying the lyric sheet. If you don't get into the singing then, there is no help for you; Hammill just isn't your cup of tea then.
And the same goes for the music that accompanies the lyrics. It absolutely "fits". In no other music there is such a tight relation between lyrics, music and singing as in the music of VdGG and Hammill. It is extremely "dense". Perhaps this "density" is too much for some.

Edited by BaldJean

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
richeym View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 10:44
i only have Pawn Hearts, and the MP3s available on this site, and i am currently in love with this band. i'm intending to get as much of their material as and when i can.

i HATED them when i first ever heard them, but gave them a few chances, and after many listens, grew to adore them.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 08:02

The VDGG formula either appeals to you or it doesn't, and if Hammills voice doesn't appeal to you on one album, it's unlikely to meet with your approval on any other.

Still Life is not a good place to start either IMO. I actually reccomend a best of album called 'From the least to the Quiet Zone' I've been shot down in flames here before for suggesting that a 'Best of' album may have any worth, but it's where I started and it led me onto their other albums. However, if I'm right in that you either like the VDGG way of doing things or you dont, then at least you will have a compilation of their most 'upbeat' and 'listernable' material.. The track selection is:

Darkness
Refugees
Killer
Theme 1
Man ERG..
Sleepwalkers
Still Life
When she Comes
Sphinx in the Face

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 07:49
Not my favourite...I think only Pawn Hearts reached to me...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 07:43
one of my fav prog bands and Peter HAmmill to me it's the best vocalist of 70s. my two fav VDGG albums are Godbluff and Still Life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>