Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny recent "finds" in second hand record

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any recent "finds" in second hand record
    Posted: April 17 2007 at 20:37
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

I went to Princeton a couple of weeks ago in hopes of finding a few things on a list I had, and I end up finding nothing.  That was pretty annoying....

Really? I heard Princeton has a pretty awesome record store.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 11:22

An original vinyl. Approve
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 00:41
was overjoyed to find Shuttah's 'Image Maker 1&2' reissued on CD a few weeks ago.. go Shadoks!

darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 00:39
I went to Princeton a couple of weeks ago in hopes of finding a few things on a list I had, and I end up finding nothing.  That was pretty annoying....
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 00:36
I most recently purchased:

Painkiller, Sad Wings of Destiny by Judas Preist
Berlin by Lou Reed
Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy
B EP by Battles
Holland by the Beach Boys
One Live Badger by Badger
Surfs Up! - Beach Boys
The Facedancers
Bananamor - Kevin Ayers
Pucinella & Firebird suite - Stravinski

and a bunch of other goodies that I can't remember because there were a lot.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 14:42
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Cert, that's only featured in the US pressing.Wink I think Ben got the UK pressing!

Which bit did you mean?

The label, the inner, the sleeve or the inserts?

Those are all UK 1st press features - trust me.

I meant the inserts (posters and stickers) especially. If not, Ben might have picked up an copy which the previous owner of the LP has kept'em himself - or a later pressing. Dunno'.

^Nah - the US had different coloured posters - and I'm not sure about the label, as US pressings aren't particularly collectable, generally.

The UK had posters and stickers too - but as you say, most ended up on walls and college books. It adds to the resale value to collectors if you have them - that's all.

I don't know much about later pressings, as they're generally not collectable - apart from the Ultra High Quality and Quadrophonic issues - but the 1st and 2nd both had the inserts, FYI.

Smile

..we can still get an approximate date from the matrix codes that are etched into the dead wax in the run-out groove at the end of each side; Should read SHVL 804-(n).

On the first pressing, (n) is 2, for a reason I'm unaware of - probably a fault with the very first press.

-3 is still datable from 1973 - the first pressings sold out in record time, excuse the pun. The cover of -3 is by G&L, and the vinyl is still decent quality - so if you have one of these, it'll sound nearly as good as a first press - don't sell it!

Up to about -5 is still early 1970s - this record sold in enormous quantities at the time - and ever since.

-9 or -10 and beyond are obviously late 1970s-early 1980s, and you'll note that the vinyl is flexi-thin.

Easier than carbon-dating!

Edited by Certif1ed - April 15 2007 at 15:27
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 14:25

Cert, that's only featured in the US pressing.Wink I think Ben got the UK pressing!

Which bit did you mean?

I meant the inserts (posters and stickers) especially. If not, Ben might have picked up an copy which the previous owner of the LP has kept'em himself - or a later pressing. Dunno'.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 14:21

Which bit did you mean?

MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 14:07
I've found Merzbow
Six Finger Satellite
The White Mice
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 11:18
UNfortunately my fave shop has lately been dry on interesting finds. A bit disappointing considering I'd stumbled on 6-7 fine Quebec prog  albums this past winter. There's still good stuff, like old blues & folk albums, but nothing I can justify spending my budget on. 
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 10:51
I sold up my records a few months back. I had given up on it initially and sold up around 4 or 5 years ago (the record deck had stopped working), but I ended up doing it again around 3 years ago. However, I simply could not find much out of the ordinary like I used to- for example, I used to get some really nice, valuable stuff like The Graham Bond Organisation's second album 'There's A Bond Between Us' (easily the most valuable album I ever found, very good album so I got in on CD with 'The Sound Of '65'), 'Screaming Lord Sutch And The Savages' (pretty poor 'psychobilly', I think the term is, but very valuable), The Incredible String Band's debut (this was a repress but was still around £50 at the time), John Martyn's 'London Conversation' (a fairly polite trad folk debut but his rarest- a pink label Island copy too)  George Harrison's 'Electronic Sounds' (rubbish, again, imho) and Creepy John Thomas' eponymous album (not bad, kind of in the vein of Edgar Broughton Band) plus I once found near complete back catalogues of people like Man, Gentle Giant, Greenslade, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Beefheart, Caravan, Curved Air etc- this was my musical education as I was around 14 or so then, and my dad was rediscovering these bands too. But the nearby boot sales REALLY dried up over the past 2 years, plus the record shops tend not to have too many bargains or even THAT many rarities. It got to the point where I had mostly reissues which have less lustre, imo, so I thought I may as well stick with the CDs. I don't really regret it.

I do still find some gems, CD-wise, though in record fairs and second hand record/CD stores. Recently I got Rick Wakeman's 'Time Machine' and 'Out There', BJH's 'Caught In The Light', Carmen's first 2 albums in an Angel Air promo, World Trade's eponymous debut, Manfred Mann's Earth Band's 'Nightingales And Bombers', the Wetton/Downes album. The best find I ever had was a pretty comprehensive selection of neo prog around Xmas which I'd been chasing for a while.

Edited by salmacis - April 15 2007 at 10:59
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 10:47
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 10:43

^Did it come with the 2 posters and stickers? Wink

The 1973 pressing has a solid light blue triangle in the centre, a black inner bag and is sealed down one side of its Garrod and Lofthouse gatefold sleeve - if you found one of those, it's worth £200. If not, it's still a great find!

Okay so its not a 1973 pressing (Unhappy) but it is still in pretty good condition Smile
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 10:35
^Did it come with the 2 posters and stickers? Wink

The 1973 pressing has a solid light blue triangle in the centre, a black inner bag and is sealed down one side of its Garrod and Lofthouse gatefold sleeve - if you found one of those, it's worth £200. If not, it's still a great find!

I picked up 5 Rush, 2 Gillan and 1 Utopia album, Uriah Heep's "Salisbury" (2nd press Bronze label, not Vertigo spiral, sadly), Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous" double album, Yessongs (triple album), a second press each of Trespass and Nursery Cryme (Book value £65) and a copy of Fish's "Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors" for £2 each yesterday.

I'm just a compulsive collector Big%20smile

Edited by Certif1ed - April 15 2007 at 10:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 10:19
Revive the thread time!!!

I am doing this because I found Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl (from 1973) for about  £6
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 05:13

for 11 bucks, and in excellent conditionBig%20smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 04:57
I saw Jethro Tull Heavy Horses on vinyl for about 4 pounds. But I ran out of money at that pointCry
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 20:36
Just sold my 14 (about) CD's to the 2nd hand shop and had to wait a bit for help.  So I browsed.  What a wasteland.  Not a thing of interest.  So after the sale, I asked the kid to check his computer for Porcupine Tree.  "Is that the artist or the album name?"  "Band name," I replied.  "Oh, it looks like we have Deadwid." (sic)  I was hoping for Lightbulb Sun on a one in a million shot, but no luck.  And I would like to know the mutt who sold these guys a copy of Deadwing.  Sacrilege!Cry  But got $21 for my crap.  Woo Hoo
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 21:55
As an added note, I thought I would mention that things are much better as far as the music scene goes. Many Quebec groups come through town regularly to the Universite de Moncton (sorry for the missing "accent grave et aigue, I haven't mastered that aspect of the keyboard yet), other local halls. While his music is nowhere near prog, Pat Groulx et les bas-blancs were at the Moncton High auditorium recently. Due to conflicting social engagements, I was unable to attend, but he sold out the 800 seat theater no problem. I've compared his album to my friends as a kind of Quebecois version of our own "1755". A little bit of rock, jazz, country, traditonal, but mostly music you'd have fun playing at a house party, or as is the habit here in the Maritimes, at a Kitchen party.
Of all the things technology has brought about is the ability for musicians to put their music out there without the need for a major label contract, so even the small scenes are able to put out without the approval of some accountant Wink
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 09:35
I have found two Magma CDs, and a Banco del Mutuo Soccorso that wasn't even listed on PA yet, all at the same shop. At other shops I have found Yes, Genesis , and KC remasters. You just have to keep going back. It also helps to find out when their buying day is. Try to get there before all of the good stuff is picked over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>