Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
staunchally View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yngwie Malmsteen
    Posted: February 15 2008 at 14:08
I've just read all the posts and it looks like my response has already been covered. Sorry to be redundant. But I'd like to add that Holdsworth doesn't alternate pick (he could lose his right hand and still be a virtuoso). TongueThat's not a criticism, Holdsy's my favorite. Zappa, as a guitarist is not comparable to any "shredder" or virtuoso. I love Frank but he is not a "technical" player. Vai is mostly legato, Yngwie's alternate picking technique is far superior. I don't mean to come off as a nitpicker, I like all of these players for their strengths. Just responding to the earlier post.
staunchally View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 11:59
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Originally posted by Aeternus Aeternus wrote:

If there are Black Sabbath, there should be Yngwie too.

AgreedClap i think that if Black Sabbath is in the prog related category, surely there should be Malsmsteen in there, because he did certainly inspire many bands to incorporate more progressive elements into their music.

Such as?

What Malmsteen really inspired was a new generation of sweep-pickers.

One single technique - that is all, as far as I can see, and one that was already perfected by the likes of Holdsworth, Zappa and Vai.

That he chose to sweep-pick using mainly Baroque Italian stylisations is interesting - but Blackmore et al had been incorporating quasi-Baroque styles for 2 decades of so before Yngwie.

Yngwie, specifically "Rising Force" was a kind of figurehead - one that was dropped pretty quickly when it was realised he was a bit of a one-trick pony.

Yngwie is not Mr. Versatility but he has done more than sweep pick. He does have a formidable picking technique. I've never heard Holdsworth or Zappa sweep pick, and Vai was a contemporary of Yngwie and didn't "sweep" before him. I don't know if you were suggesting he was or not.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 17:24
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

He was very annoying when I watched the G3 DVD he was on. His constant show-off ruined the Hendrix song all three of them did along with "Rockin' in the Free World".

LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEE!! *pushes Joe Satriani out of the way and head-butts Steve Vai*

and you all still doubt he is prog LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 16:38
He was very annoying when I watched the G3 DVD he was on. His constant show-off ruined the Hendrix song all three of them did along with "Rockin' in the Free World".

LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEE!! *pushes Joe Satriani out of the way and head-butts Steve Vai*
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 12:59
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

"donut...?"    "YOU UNLEASHED THE �%#ING FURY! /ROAR! Angry"

ahahah!

i saw malmsteen in concert a while back...not because i like his music but because i find him entertaining.

before the show, the opening band was finishing up their last song. apparently they had gone over their time limit or something, because yngwie walked right up to the soundboard and turned them off in the middle of the song. then he proceeded to blast classical music for the next HOUR AND A HALF before coming on stage. at that point i lost whatever little respect for him i had ever managed to find.

personally i find his music extremely boring. he has skill, but ripping through arpeggio after arpeggio is not good guitar solo writing. and just because he wears puffy shirts does not mean he's progressive. his type of music might have been innovative but it's a dead end. you can't shred arpeggios to much faster than that and there's really nowhere to build off of it. though he may have been influential, i think his own arrogance really shows in his music and his boring "all eyes on me" approach to guitar.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:30
who'd of thought a donut could've thrown the metal world into a tailspin
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:21
The time has come for Richard Clayderman....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:16
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

oh he's a dope, from what I've seen

hhahhaha yeah.. .but he could unleash the f**king fury LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:15
Why not add Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson next, that way we could have all the G3 guys (that I know of).

Edited by Avantgardehead - January 19 2008 at 02:16
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:14

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

So...Why not add Vanessa Mae?

She's a Classically trained violin player, at the age of 10 played with London's Philharmonia Orchestra. she was the youngest violinist ever to record the Tchaikovsky and Beethoven violin concertos, made a world tour with the London Mozart Players during the Mozart bicentennial year.

In her albums with her Rock band Red Hot she plays music of:
  1. Bach
  2. Vivaldi
  3. Paganini
  4. Beethoven
  5. Bruch
  6. Brahms
  7. Pucini
  8. Ravel
  9. Etc.
And she evens looks nicer than Malmsteen with her mini skirts Wink....But nobody would dream in adding her to Prog Archives, despite she really blends the music because Red Hot plays along with her but the problem is that her music is POP with Classical..

Merging Classical with Rock is not necesarilly Prog, Vanessa Mae plays Pop with Classixcal while Malmsteen plays Metsal with Classical solos, none of them should be here IMO.

Iv�n

LOL  yes.. Vanessa Mae for PA !

why not.. after Malmsteen hahahhah
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:13
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Calm down... nobody calls you anything... relax...enjoy your stay at PA. It IS possible to have a discussion with you... so let's keep it musical... don't feel offended or something when there was no intent to do it...  

I'd go even further... Sorry if you thought I was acting "superior"... But about the Metallica thing, let's soon have a discussion so that you can understand what I said.

Care to read my avantgarde friend?

Don't erase your HD though... you don't want ME to be the reason of future pain...

So now that we're both open minded, we can, someday, discuss other matters... Now let's leave it here...

And for the rest, I repeat my opinion: Malsmteen does NOT belong in prog-metal... He has never been even considered as I can see in the chart, but he could be added just to have a sure vote of the other members...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:13
oh he's a dope, from what I've seen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:10
Malmsteen is hilarious, but annoying. And fat, very very fat...

Edited by Avantgardehead - January 19 2008 at 02:11
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

She's a Classically trained violin player, at the age of 10 played with London's Philharmonia Orchestra. she was the youngest violinist ever to record the Tchaikovsky and Beethoven violin concertos, made a world tour with the London Mozart Players during the Mozart bicentennial year.

1. Bach
  2. Vivaldi
  3. Paganini
  4. Beethoven
  5. Bruch
  6. Brahms
  7. Pucini
  8. Ravel
  9. Etc.
And she evens looks nicer than Malmsteen with her mini skirts Wink....But nobody would dream in adding her to Prog Archives, despite she really blends the music because Red Hot plays along with her but the problem is that her music is POP with Classical..

Merging Classical with Rock is not necesarilly Prog, Vanessa Mae plays Pop with Classixcal while Malmsteen plays Metsal with Classical solos, none of them should be here IMO.

Iv�n

LOL  yes.. Vanessa Mae for PA !

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

alright... we can cool the testosterone here...  take it outside and lets stay on Malmsteen.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:06

Calm down... nobody calls you anything... relax...enjoy your stay at PA. It IS possible to have a discussion with you... so let's keep it musical... don't feel offended or something when there was no intent to do it...

Offended? This is hilarious! Gives me something to do!

Edited by Avantgardehead - January 19 2008 at 02:08
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:03
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

well not quite, Ivan, his first three albums (at least) compositionally progressed classical metal *far* beyond Blackmore and Gary Moore (both of whom appear on PA in various forms), Roth or Schenker...  but it's up to others whether he actually ever appears here and it doesn't really concern me either way

word brother David.. and my point....  a decade before.. that kind of merging would be considered prog.. without a doubt..

1. Bach
  2. Vivaldi
  3. Paganini
  4. Beethoven
  5. Bruch
  6. Brahms
  7. Pucini
  8. Ravel
  9. Etc.

Merging Classical with Rock is not necesarilly Prog, Vanessa Mae plays Pop with Classical while Malmsteen plays Metsal with Classical solos, none of them should be here.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 19 2008 at 02:22

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:54
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

It's obvious that, while you surely know your avant-garde, your concept of progressive-metal is limited... and also, that you haven't heard Metallica.

Oh yes, I really don't know anything about progressive metal. Not at all. And I was just guessing about Metallica having neo-classical solos. In fact, I didn't even know they had neo-classical solos because I've never listened to them in my entire life. Please, oh Master of Progressive Metal, teach me about this incredible music that I've never heard because I need to expand my concept therein.

LOL

Give me a break, I don't care who you think you are, but you have no right to tell me what I do and do not know. Do you know me? Obviously not, so just back away and go feel superior somewhere else, son.

And also, upon second thought, I guess the neo-classical solo part does apply to both artists. Unintentionally hilarious! LOL

ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap

Avant-garde indeed...

By the way: "your concept of progressive-metal is limited... and also, that you haven't heard Metallica".....Where do I express my superiority? But your description of Metallica was SO exquisite, that it was very easy to infer that, while a true avantgarde-head, you're not a metal-head... or a prog-metal head which demands, as any prog-fan, an open mind...

What the hell there are more clappies for you....ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

I'd go even further... Sorry if you thought I was acting "superior"... But about the Metallica thing, let's soon have a discussion so that you can understand what I said.

Edited by The T - January 19 2008 at 02:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:47

It's obvious that, while you surely know your avant-garde, your concept of progressive-metal is limited... and also, that you haven't heard Metallica.

Oh yes, I really don't know anything about progressive metal. Not at all. And I was just guessing about Metallica having neo-classical solos. In fact, I didn't even know they had neo-classical solos because I've never listened to them in my entire life. Please, oh Master of Progressive Metal, teach me about this incredible music that I've never heard because I need to expand my concept therein.

LOL

Give me a break, I don't care who you think you are, but you have no right to tell me what I do and do not know. Do you know me? Obviously not, so just back away and go feel superior somewhere else, son.

And also, upon second thought, I guess the neo-classical solo part does apply to both artists. Unintentionally hilarious! LOL

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:47

well not quite, Ivan, his first three albums (at least) compositionally progressed classical metal *far* beyond Blackmore and Gary Moore (both of whom appear on PA in various forms), Roth or Schenker...  but it's up to others whether he actually ever appears here and it doesn't really concern me either way

word brother David.. and my point....  a decade before.. that kind of merging would be considered prog.. without a doubt..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>