Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcomments "under" individual reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: comments "under" individual reviews
    Posted: January 25 2010 at 10:57
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I can see it now.

Somebody reviews a Neal Morse album and the review comments section becomes a forum for theological debate.  LOL

Where...???!!! I miss it... and I'm sure I can take a good battle against Mike... right...??? LOL
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 00:52
More importantly than the moderating, IMO, is that it would make the reviews page a headache to read. And anything that lessened the headache (such as making them expand by clicking) would make reading them a headache.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2010 at 07:53
It's a nice idea and in a perfect world we could do this. Unfortunately it would create a monstrous headache for the Mod team.
Besides, as has already been mentioned, we have a forum and we want people to discuss these things here.

J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 17:59
I think the forum is where we should discuss specific albums. If you want to discuss any particular album (and even a review), the Prog Recommendation/Featured Albums works perfectly for that. I think this "comments" suggestion could turn into heated and possibly inappropriate discussions on an album page. It would also be a good target for spam and self-promotion. I don't think we need to burden the moderators with this.Smile

-Jeff

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 17:08
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I find it quite sufficient that you can contact a reviewer with comments on the review and you are always free to write a review with counter or alternative opinion.  Just make one where your opinion hangs by itself..

That's true, as long as the review does not bash the other reviewer's opinion. That is not allowed by the reviews guidelines, and rightly so - otherwise, it would be the Wild West, and no one wants that.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 17:00
I find it quite sufficient that you can contact a reviewer with comments on the review and you are always free to write a review with counter or alternative opinion.  Just make one where your opinion hangs by itself..
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 16:52
they do something similar at Ground&Sky; it became a vehicle for diatribe

MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 13:52
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I can see it now.

Somebody reviews a Neal Morse album and the review comments section becomes a forum for theological debate.  LOL

Lmao, that would be great.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 13:46
I can see it now.

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 12:49
PS Let's leave the "debate" to the forums and not clutter up the reviews section.  It's very pretty as is.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 12:47
Frankly I think we have all gravitated toward particular reviewers who tend to correlate well with our own tastes.  The others we take with a grain of salt, but really there's no need to quibble or engage in snarkery with someone with whom we don't see eye to eye.

My Gnosis Ratings

jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 12:29
Well.. in some places like imdb.com, there's a chance to rate or classify the review... like "Do you find this comment useful for you?" and you can choose yes or no... it could be a good way to try to improve the work of the reviewers... but I think it's ok as it is right now... don't know if I'm puttin my nouse out of my bussiness but well... I just want to help...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 12:08
I like creating new words, or word offspring, or phrases.  I've even, infrequently of course, used totally made up words or phrases in review to describe sound I can't find the right word for.  I love it when people just accept it and not ask what it means, they just get it. 

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 12:01
And I like the word snarkery. Big smile

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 12:01
^ Well said

My Gnosis Ratings

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 09:21
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

You know, unlike you, I am not at all optimistic about human nature, especially when the Internet is concerned. As big a fan of the web as I am, it cannot be denied that it has also become an outlet for people's worst instincts. PA is a very civilized environment, and the Admins don't need to always be on the lookout for rule-breakers, but I'm afraid that introducing the possibility of making comments on a review in public would lead many people into temptation, as well as attracting trolls. The Admins' workload would skyrocket, and a lot of the enjoyment would be lost. Just my two cents...

^ All exactly right. 

Plus the site gives 3 ways already to express your opinions about reviews.  The PM, the opportunity to express your OWN opinion in your own review, and a public "reviews discussion" thread which already exists.  You just cut and paste the part of the review you want to comment on into the thread, and then you can say anything you like, very easily, and people can respond to you.  There is not need to open a new thread to use this feature.    

The only thing "comments under reviews" would do is cheapen the site by encouraging "snark" short comments under reviews that people have put alot of time into creating.  (I'm not accusing the original poster of this by the way, just saying that would be the outcome too often if such a feature existed.)

I don't think our PRs should be put in the position of having to "defend" their review against snarkery after they've written it.  A review is different than an opinion post in a forum, where back and forth conversation is the whole point.  A review is a personal statement which each PR who takes the time should be entitled to present on its own.  Have an opinion on the music?  Make yourself heard in your OWN venue?  One's venue of choice should not be piggy-backing on the work of other prog reviewers because it's convenient. 

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 07:50
You know, unlike you, I am not at all optimistic about human nature, especially when the Internet is concerned. As big a fan of the web as I am, it cannot be denied that it has also become an outlet for people's worst instincts. PA is a very civilized environment, and the Admins don't need to always be on the lookout for rule-breakers, but I'm afraid that introducing the possibility of making comments on a review in public would lead many people into temptation, as well as attracting trolls. The Admins' workload would skyrocket, and a lot of the enjoyment would be lost. Just my two cents...
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 05:50
I think it would be a good idea too, just like Amazon.
theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 04:27
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I don't think its necessary.
Also, think about how much more the admins would have to do as far as stopping spam/abuse. Some of our most prolific reviewers have over 2500 reviews, so thats instantaneously creates over sections > 10,000 comment boxes which can be spammed, trolled or filled with abuse.

I think its much more appropriate to keep the system as it is, IE, if you have a criticism, correction or simply want to commend a member on a fantastic review, send them a PM using the 'send comments to reviewer x' button.

This pretty much answers my question, and I considered myself covered....Smile
theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 04:25
I can see what you are saying....Oh well, as an optimist I seem to have more faith in people. It's just that I have found myself MANY times wishing for that "magic link", either to show my agreement or my disagreement (always civil) or to comment on what I think is an EXTREMELY STRONG POINT in someone's review. Starting a forum thread about it would be a cumbersome and impractical way to do it I believe....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>