FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElitism in Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
shockedjazz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elitism in Prog?
    Posted: May 19 2010 at 12:15
Elitism could be inarticulate too and provocation is elitism 100%.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 09:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

just because the guy who wrote them doesn't like prog artists doesn't mean it's stupid and awful and whatever he chose to insult the musicians.
No. And the guy who wrote the articles is probably aware (or will be - when he grows up) that it isn't the case just because he says so.  I don't read this kind of description as elitist:
"The peak of their absolute foolishness came with the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, a virtually incomprehensible narrative about spiritual awakening spread over a double album. beloved of sixth formers with long hair and greycoats who had too much time on their hands"
It made me laugh - and I adore The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Confused
It should be evident to the reader that this is a very subjective viewpoint with the primary function of provoking - not an attempt to present the truth about progressive rock. 
It's just too inarticulate and obviously provocative to do that and to be elitist.  

Edited by Paravion - May 15 2010 at 09:49
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 23:08
Now, those Punk articles are elitist and close minded... just because the guy who wrote them doesn't like prog artists doesn't mean it's stupid and awful and whatever he chose to insult the musicians.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 11:39
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">
Originally posted by Ivan Ivan wrote:

http://www.punk77.co.uk/punkhistory/whendinosaursromaedtheearth.htm

I have seen people that doesn't like Punk here, but to waste full pages of the main site to insult other genres in order to feel superior...That's elitism and could use another adjectives.

I think it's funny - and I share some of the views, especially those regarding wakeman. It doesn't seem to me that that the writer insults our beloved progsters in order to feel superior and I don't read it as elitist - mainly a joke. And also  -  pointing out what is wrong with prog partly serves as means to define punk.

Edited by Paravion - May 14 2010 at 11:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 10:57
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I see a lot of elitism on these boards (and I have been guilty of it myself) mainly in the form of putting down fans of other styles of music as unsophisticated or closed-minded. I admit to being a music snob, but just because someone likes Pop or Punk doesn't make them an idiot.

Honestly, this is one of the few forums in which we discuss other genres,.............How can that be elitist?

This is elitism (Always mention this site):

I have seen people that doesn't like Punk here, but to waste full pages of the main site to insult other genres in order to feel superior...That's elitism and could use another adjectives.

Now, I hardly know any member that likes exclusively Prog, yes of course I listen more Prog than other genres, but I have at least 300 albums from Pop, Classic Rock, Metal, Jazz and Classical, even 5 salsa albums (all by Ruben Blades) and Cuban Nueva Trova (Despite being anti-communist).

Now, if somebody believes that not liking Rap or Hip Hop is elitism, I don't agree, it's simply that we have a defined taste, and there is music I don't like, starting with most King Crimson and Gentle Giant.

Iván

Thank you Ivan now i know what bias really mean in the bad sense:
Taking side dumbly for an easy digestible lie.

These Punks....Angry

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 10:53
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

I've never heard someone tie Dylan to prog before, but I can see the connections.

Dylan gets (and deserves) most of the credit for elevating rock n roll from a form of entertainment to a serious art form. I'm not really much of a Dylan fan, but that much is true.

And of course he inspired Rubber Soul which inspired Pet Sounds which inspired Sgt. Pepper which inspired essentially all of the proto prog acts so he does indeed deserve some credit for the development of prog, regardless of weither of not he's proud of that fact. LOL

I don't think that's enough to add him to PA though, unless you want to add Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger for inspiring Dylan. And that might be going a little too far. Tongue
Your last sentence is right Wink Please not Peter segeer on this site-Maybe buffy saint-Marie but anyway not enogugh proggy.
But Boo Boo if you really like pop, is obvious that your gonna find this site arrogant.
If you like populism your gonna find political theory arrogant, is exactly the same.

And Prog is high culture of the low culture...or its the exact point were low culture turns into highculture and thus turns aestheticaly against it.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 20:13
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

Yeah I can't stand it when prog fans write off guitarists for not being as technically skilled as what they consider the elite players, Gilmour gets a lot of crap for this.

Hackett might not be part of the "elite" but he's no amateur either, who cares if he doesn't have as much chops as Akkerman or Latimer or McLaughlin? Or John "Captain Boring Pants" Petrucci. Chops isn't what guitar playing (or prog) is all about.

Hackett is the most reserved guitarist in prog, and the fact that he waits for the right moment instead of trying to dominate the song is part of what makes him special.

I do like Howe more, but not simply because he has more chops, which I'm not even sure is true to begin with, then again I've never been too good at measuring one's skill level, which is pointless anyway.

I don't really know if Latimer has employed tapping anywhere, haven't heard where if he has. Hackett was using it from Nursery Cryme onwards.  He is certainly better than Latimer on acoustic.  And Gilmour's bends are hard to match.  I found Petrucci didn't quite nail them when they covered Time, though maybe he simply intended to treat the solo differently.  Looking at technical proficiency on guitar solely through the prism of speed (or singing through the prism of range) is immature but unfortunately it is a much prevalent tendency in rock discussions.  You are right, Hackett doesn't try to show off, he just follows Fripp's words, "A great guitarist is one who is true to the moment he finds himself in". Clap

EDIT: And I'd much prefer listening to Hackett than McLaughlin on the Mahavishnu albums.  It is a little sloppy and overall leaves much to be desired for me. He is probably not too comfortable with the overdriven electric because he absolutely rips on clean electric or acoustic with Shakti. 

Edited by rogerthat - May 13 2010 at 20:16
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 19:56

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Ha ha ha, well, the vehement "For God's sake" and all sounded like you felt offended Embarrassed...good to know you agree. LOL

The "For God's Sake" goes because I read sometimes absurd comments like:

"I can play Hackett's parts in my guitar and not Howe parts, so Howe is better"

or

"Dream Theater is the best band because they make everything so complex"

I don't know, maybe Howe is better than Hackett and even DT is the best band ever (Don't agree with neither, even when I  allow the posibility),  but if both statements are true, complexity has very little to do, it's only one of many elements that could make them the best.

Iván

Yeah I can't stand it when prog fans write off guitarists for not being as technically skilled as what they consider the elite players, Gilmour gets a lot of crap for this.

Hackett might not be part of the "elite" but he's no amateur either, who cares if he doesn't have as much chops as Akkerman or Latimer or McLaughlin? Or John "Captain Boring Pants" Petrucci. Chops isn't what guitar playing (or prog) is all about.

Hackett is the most reserved guitarist in prog, and the fact that he waits for the right moment instead of trying to dominate the song is part of what makes him special.

I do like Howe more, but not simply because he has more chops, which I'm not even sure is true to begin with, then again I've never been too good at measuring one's skill level, which is pointless anyway.

Edited by boo boo - May 13 2010 at 20:03
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 17:36
Quote ...  don't know, maybe Howe is better than Hackett and even DT is the best band ever (Don't agree with neither, even when I  allow the posibility),  but if both statements are true, complexity has very little to do, it's only one of many elements that could make them the best.

So many of these people have never heard anyone else either ... like Jon McLoughlin, even Frank Zappa, or other people whose guitar work is ... definitly more towards another realm ... than ... pop music! Or an Allan Holdsworth. Or an Andres Segovia ... all these people have heard is a couple of rock bands and some mp3's ...

In the end these folks will never know what they are missing ... or how good other things and people are with an instrument in their hands ... I had to literally blast someone down when they said it was weird and I said ... it's just a fudging Fender or Gibson guitar ...  just another person with fingers playing on it ... and all you're saying is that someone in the North Pole is an idiot because you can't relate to them playing it differently or being inspired by the Russian Cultural Programs on the short wave -- instead of the song you are listening to on your iPrd!

Edited by moshkito - May 13 2010 at 17:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 05:58
Complexity doesn't make a piece of music good per se. Some of the most beautiful songs are relatively simple in construction. Complexity is only good if it sounds good! I've lost count of the number of times that I've stood and watched bands (guiatrists mainly) who just stand on the stage showing off, oblivious to what anybody in the audience thinks about their performance. They may as well have stood up there and had a w*nk, in all honesty. There must be some content to go with the complexity. Hug
WyattEarp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 23:14
Look Dudes, hell yes i'm a Elitist!!!

When i hit that Joint.
This enquiring mind wants to know,what's the best music to Trip and be Baked to?

Welll

Though my experiences,Prog-Art rock is Thee Best!!!

It's like the Styx song"Light Up"says"Sweet Sweet sounds fill the air".

And

I've been stoned to that song before,and totally love it.

And

Remarkable indication what it's like to get high on Prog Rock,which is the best bar none!!!WinkLOL

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:39

But back to the issue, I admit somebody believing Howe is better even when I disagree, but what I can't admit is that somebody bases quality and skills exclusicely in complexity, or in this case, in his/her incapacity of reproducing Howe's music.

Yes, agreed, especially the last part. 
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:35

Actually, Hackett's technique is smoother and more beautiful, he exudes so much effortlessness. In singing or playing, it's not enough to just hit the notes, you should be able to play them the way the musician has played it on the song, which is not easy. Sure, there are some things Howe did on acoustic that Hackett didn't in the 70s (haven't heard his acoustic albums) but I don't know how people talk about it like it's so clear cut that Howe is better. 

You should listen "Midsummer's Night Dream" is fantastic.

But back to the issue, I admit somebody believing Howe is better even when I disagree, but what I can't admit is that somebody bases quality and skills exclusicely in complexity, or in this case, in his/her incapacity of reproducing Howe's music.

Returning to Fleetwood Mac, in a party we were playing, the girl that hired us wanted to sing Sara and asked if we coiuld play it, we had only jammed it a couple of times (we knew the music but we hadn't practiced because it's a song for a woman and we were all male), but we has to accept (she paid LOL) and to be honest had a wonderful voice, so the bassist told me "You know Mick's parts, so just follow me because I will follow her, don't play faster than me and the rest of the band will follow you", it sounded pretty decent (Specially for the girl's voice) and it was very easy, but despite the simplicity, it's a great song,

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 12 2010 at 21:44

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:26

Actually, Hackett's technique is smoother and more beautiful, he exudes so much effortlessness. In singing or playing, it's not enough to just hit the notes, you should be able to play them the way the musician has played it on the song, which is not easy. Sure, there are some things Howe did on acoustic that Hackett didn't in the 70s (haven't heard his acoustic albums) but I don't know how people talk about it like it's so clear cut that Howe is better. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:07

Ha ha ha, well, the vehement "For God's sake" and all sounded like you felt offended Embarrassed...good to know you agree. LOL

The "For God's Sake" goes because I read sometimes absurd comments like:

or

"Dream Theater is the best band because they make everything so complex"

I don't know, maybe Howe is better than Hackett and even DT is the best band ever (Don't agree with neither, even when I  allow the posibility),  but if both statements are true, complexity has very little to do, it's only one of many elements that could make them the best.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 12 2010 at 21:09

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:03

Ivan, every post in this thread is not directed at you so please don't take needless offence.  There are many prog fans and not just on this forum but across this net who give this "most complex and technical" line.  I was referring to them. 

Absolutely not taking offense at all  Roger

Just giving my opinion, there's good complex music and good simple musi, I don't need to justify my taste but I believe I can give an opinion. LOL

I'm agreeing with you that's all, only going a bit further.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:00

Ivan, every post in this thread is not directed at you so please don't take needless offence.  There are many prog fans and not just on this forum but across this net who give this "most complex and technical" line.  I was referring to them. 

Absolutely not taking offense at all  Roger, neither justifying anything

Just giving my opinion, there's good complex music and good simple musi, I don't need to justify my taste but I believe I can give an opinion. LOL

I'm agreeing with you that's all, only going a bit further.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 12 2010 at 21:02

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 20:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 20:50

No, I don't think considering one genre the best for you is elitism, that's simply describing your tastes. What I do find elitist in prog appreciation is the "I listen to prog because it's the most technical and complex music in the world" business.  No, that it is not.  It may often be more technical and/or complex than run of the mill pop/rock, that's all.  You do find technically accomplished guitarists in prog metal but this is because, as Cert1fied put it, prog metal is an extension of technical metal really.  Barring that, I don't see how Roine Stolt is more technical than Guthrie Govan and that's just one example.

For God's sake, the answer is so simple:

I like Prog because I like it,

The reasons are many, I like elaborate music created not to  EXCLUSIVEL seek for a N° 1 hit with lyrics that say more than Babe Babe Babe, but there's music that is too complex for me and a lot of simple music that I love.

From my example on another thread (9 non Prog bands), the song Sara by Fleetwood Mac is one of my favourites, but it must be one of the simplest tracks I ever heard, just notice Mick Fleetwood, he has 5 or 6 beats that he repeats all over the song without a single variation with John McVie playing a couple of chords.....And it makes the hairs in the back of my neck rise..

On the other hand Thrak, with their double Power Trio playing almost two different songs must be one of the most complex albums in Prog, but it sounds like cacophony TO ME.

I understand that some peope may find Sara terribly basic and Thrak as a masterpiece of complexity, but I  like the simplest and hate the most complex in this case, don't know why, neither I care, it's simply my taste.

But if you ask me if I like complex music, I  will answer NORMALLY yes

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 12 2010 at 20:52

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 20:30
No, I don't think considering one genre the best for you is elitism, that's simply describing your tastes. What I do find elitist in prog appreciation is the "I listen to prog because it's the most technical and complex music in the world" business.  No, that it is not.  It may often be more technical and/or complex than run of the mill pop/rock, that's all.  You do find technically accomplished guitarists in prog metal but this is because, as Cert1fied put it, prog metal is an extension of technical metal really.  Barring that, I don't see how Roine Stolt is more technical than Guthrie Govan and that's just one example.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>