Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BassoonAng View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Definition
    Posted: July 24 2012 at 00:53
A band that strives for originality in tonal tendency, character of sound, rhythm, time, and blend.

Can't put a finger on it, but that's what I look for.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 20:16
^^^ Good point.  I wouldn't say combining jazz with thrash (T-H-R-A-S-H Tongue) is not innovative at all but it is not as innovative as combing rock with jazz was in the 60s.   
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 12:27
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

(e.g. Combining jazz and rock was innovative at one time in history, but it no longer is).

Depends..i would say if you combine a more resent Rock (say Trash Metal) with Jazz (say Hawkins style Sax)
would still be very innovative, at least i cant remember anything close to that.

I completely agree, but you've redefined the rock category to be trash metal, so it's different.

Offcourse its diffrent, every time you listen to new music, its diffrent.
But Metal is Rock, mixed with Jazz, chances are, it would be possible to put in JRF. Would depend a lot on the mix of things.  

The issue is whether the differences are innovative. When I used the word 'different' I meant that it's a different situation categorically. If you are conflating Trash Metal and Rock, why are you bothering to identify a batch of music under the heading of Trash Metal? I presumed you were using it to create a distinction and justify how a new category within rock could be used to create an innovative new fusion type. True, Trash Metal has its roots in Rock, but Rock and Jazz both have common roots in the Blues. The categories of music adjust over time, and what counts as an innovation is historically grounded. I continue you to see no problem with my claim here. Soft Machine did not combine Jazz and Trash Metal, because there was no Trash Metal back then. I think we can agree on that for sure. Even if we talk about innovations of technique, Steve Hackett was incredibly innovative at the time when he came up with two handed tapping. Everyone does it now, so it is difficult to call it innovative any longer.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 10:37
whenever I write a list of things - which is often - I usually end it with 'other', 'other', and 'other'.
And that also applies to my definition of Prog.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 06:07

(e.g. Combining jazz and rock was innovative at one time in history, but it no longer is).

Depends..i would say if you combine a more resent Rock (say Trash Metal) with Jazz (say Hawkins style Sax)
would still be very innovative, at least i cant remember anything close to that.

I completely agree, but you've redefined the rock category to be trash metal, so it's different.

Offcourse its diffrent, every time you listen to new music, its diffrent.
But Metal is Rock, mixed with Jazz, chances are, it would be possible to put in JRF. Would depend a lot on the mix of things.  

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 05:51
Ok, so no meta thread... Throughout the various threads covering this topic, I have read some good definitions/comments from people, but the thing is that I can't find them any more because they are so spread. So I would like it, if you repost (rewrite, re-invent or whatever), what you regard as your best answer to this question, what you think is prog rock for you.

My 5 pence to it was an answer to the post from maani in another thread:

Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

It is not exactly "elegant," but here is the definition I use:

"Progressive rock” is a mindset, a conscious and deliberate approach to writing rock music based on certain elements, which usually include some or all of the following: incorporation of Western (classical, jazz et al), Eastern (Indian, Middle Eastern et al) and/or “world” (African, Latin et al) influences; use of non-standard (for rock) chord progressions; use of odd and/or shifting time signatures; use of non-standard instrumentation (from sax, flute or violin to sitar, bagpipes or African percussion); an “orchestral” (i.e., “scored”) approach to arrangement; extended compositions, often including extended instrumental passages; virtuoso musicianship, often including extended solos; lyrics that tend toward the esoteric or “fantastical” and/or include numerous “literary” references; and the use of keyboards (Mellotron, synthesizers, etc.) and the recording studio itself to create effects, “textures” and “atmospheres.”

Peace.

This comes quite close to my opinion. I would like to add:
- (mostly) approach to build the song like a structured mini-composition, consisting of a beginning/intro, one or more middle parts and an ending/finale, similar to some of the classical compositions
- often polyphonic use of voice and instruments, vocals are treated as one instrument among others
- often use of counterpoint in the melodic composition
- often extreme change of dynamics
- change of rhythm/time within the song

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 14:22

Just to clarify, the post above by Formentera lady and npjnpj were originally in a separate thread, bu they have been merged into this existing discussion on the same topic.

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 12:52
This meta-thread is treading a dangerous line. The people who have been here a while have seen this discussion numerous times, but it will always be an interesting topic to (relative) newcomers, and rightly so. And probably this revived topic will see some new thoughts too.

This is a prog site, and the discussion about the definition should be an ongoing one, especially as it hasn't been universally resolved yet.

What's the point in pointing any interested members to old links, thereby reducing a forum discussion to an uncommunicative reading excercise?

You just turn interested new members away with that attitude. I dislike forums that do that and hope this one doesn't turn into that
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 10:45

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The forum is in no shortage of people who want to avoid categorization, apparently because they see progressive rock as continually defying categorization. But how can one flout a category if there are no categories to flout??? Progressive rock needs categories as raw material to reshape. It would cease to exist without them (as would language and several other cognitive processes).
Only to the extent that prog rock listeners need to classify music as such and such.  It is hardly so relevant to an artist and his quest for innovation.  Was the connotation progressive applied in the time of Vivaldi or Beethoven or even, much later, Louis Armstrong or Charlie Parker?

Thanks for the post, but I'm afraid I can't agree. It's very important to the musicians themselves. Frank Zappa has always intentionally juxtaposes different styles. These are not just random notes he felt like playing that by some coincidence might start out like rock and then morph into perhaps a Broadway show tune. Peter Gabriel has worked with World Music and in fact uses the term. Now what is World Music? Steve Hackett spent time in South America learning about their style of acoustic guitar. Geographic region is just another parameter with which to categorize something. I have to stand by my comment that categories are a raw material that musicians/artists work with. Musical categories don't exist prior to us creating them, and they can be re-analyzed in any number of ways, but that just means that we can't look at things in unsophisticated ways.

I was addressing prog categories specifically and not categories generally.  Even generally speaking, it is an open minded artist who does not think two pieces of a puzzle cannot fit just because they are categorized as different styles.  They see possibilities in achieving a blend of both styles but it is not always a conscious exercise and I would have to disagree to that extent.  Musicians absorb diverse influences and express those intuitively in the compositional process.   Whereas the purpose of categories seems to militate against blending and endorse distinction and discrimination and the delineating of boundaries.   Derek Trucks is considered creative for his fresh approach to blues but this is also a function of blues drawing very tight stylistic boxes for itself, which forces many other artists to sound too much like each other.

Coming back to prog, my point was that a Miles Davis may have simply set out to explore his insights and expound them in music.  It was not as if he set out to make what would be called progressive jazz and such was his command to innovate.  It is a post-facto term.   Applying your thesis that categories are raw material for musicians to the extant prog categories...I am not quite sure how it would work.  I have difficulties with the two most commonly used terms - symphonic prog and eclectic prog.  Um, does this mean to say symphonic prog rock bands are not eclectic?  That would (a) go against a very basic feature of prog, which is to demonstrate different styles in the same work and (b) not be supported by historical precedents.  What is the basis, ultimately, for classifying Yes as symphonic prog rock band and Gentle Giant as eclectic?  The only difference is that Yes use that wall-of-sound effect for which they get called symphonic, but they certainly are eclectic themselves.  And so are Genesis or ELP for that matter.   What again is the difference between heavy prog and prog metal?  Metal by definition is heavy music.   

I do understand exactly what listeners mean when they peruse of these above classifications, but they only highlight simplistic and superficial differences, which I frankly cannot see as being particularly useful for artists.  Prog rock by its nature is more an approach than a rigid, frozen style and by consciously choosing such an approach to make his music, the artist has already classified himself.  Further subdivision may at the most help listeners seek more of the same of what they already like, which all listeners, including progressive ones, like to do and that's as far as it goes.      
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 06:41
The topic, what is prog rock and what it is not, is so often discussed to death, and still there are people, who rise the same question over and over again.

So my idea is to make this meta thread, in which you do NOT post your opinion to this topic directly, but instead you post a link only (from this forum), where you think you had your best definition/comment on this topic, like this:

My best comment/definition on this topic is in:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72827&PN=7

(And, of course, the PA definition of prog rock is here.)

Now your turn.

Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2012 at 11:21

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 21:20
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">

I think that if we want to have a true prog definition it needs to include every progressive artists (wich, as a matter of fact, is another problem because one may find an artist proggy and another not) and sub-genres.

I don't think there "true" definitions of anything that includes every member of a category without incorrectly eliminating others. Progressive Rock is a prototype. Symphonic Prog is a prototype. Some bands are central to the prototype others are more marginal. I see no reason to define a category around more marginal members of any such category.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 21:01
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The forum is in no shortage of people who want to avoid categorization, apparently because they see progressive rock as continually defying categorization. But how can one flout a category if there are no categories to flout??? Progressive rock needs categories as raw material to reshape. It would cease to exist without them (as would language and several other cognitive processes).
Only to the extent that prog rock listeners need to classify music as such and such.  It is hardly so relevant to an artist and his quest for innovation.  Was the connotation progressive applied in the time of Vivaldi or Beethoven or even, much later, Louis Armstrong or Charlie Parker?

Thanks for the post, but I'm afraid I can't agree. It's very important to the musicians themselves. Frank Zappa has always intentionally juxtaposes different styles. These are not just random notes he felt like playing that by some coincidence might start out like rock and then morph into perhaps a Broadway show tune. Peter Gabriel has worked with World Music and in fact uses the term. Now what is World Music? Steve Hackett spent time in South America learning about their style of acoustic guitar. Geographic region is just another parameter with which to categorize something. I have to stand by my comment that categories are a raw material that musicians/artists work with. Musical categories don't exist prior to us creating them, and they can be re-analyzed in any number of ways, but that just means that we can't look at things in unsophisticated ways.
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 09:47
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> I'd say that progressive rock is a style of rock with no boundaries and that is thought of (real arrangements, think about the notes you play, real themes, etc.).
This definition is large so I guess it is good. I don't care if you don't personally agree as, like Dean said, when you want to make people adhere to your own personal views it becomes a problem but I think that if we want to have a true prog definition it needs to include every progressive artists (wich, as a matter of fact, is another problem because one may find an artist proggy and another not) and sub-genres.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 09:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I agree with Iazland that we all have our own definitions of progressive rock/music. My personal definition is anything that makes strides in musical innovation and experimentation
Which is all well and good if you keep it to yourself. The problem with such a definition comes when you use it in conversation with anyone else, or expect others to adhere to your personal definition. Then it becomes misleading and confusing, and at worse - wrong. A Prog definition needs to be universally accepted by the majority so we can all talk using the same vocabulary and have it mean the same thing, personal definitions can never achieve that.

Dean, for once: you are my hero.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 05:29
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I agree with Iazland that we all have our own definitions of progressive rock/music. My personal definition is anything that makes strides in musical innovation and experimentation
Which is all well and good if you keep it to yourself. The problem with such a definition comes when you use it in conversation with anyone else, or expect others to adhere to your personal definition. Then it becomes misleading and confusing, and at worse - wrong. A Prog definition needs to be universally accepted by the majority so we can all talk using the same vocabulary and have it mean the same thing, personal definitions can never achieve that.
What?
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 03:18
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 02:20
live damn it liveeeee

like all art. It is everything and nothing.

looll woot YOLO rarrhhrhrhrh
There be dragons
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 02:08
Ya, lets keep this one alive to avoid another one Big smile

Edited by tamijo - July 07 2012 at 02:09
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2012 at 22:02
9 pages on this again? Confused

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>