Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Steven Wilson making Prog music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Steven Wilson making Prog music?
    Posted: October 07 2013 at 09:31
Originally posted by BORA BORA wrote:

I dislike Wilson's melancholic approach.
Prog, or not, it doesn't matter to me.
If I were to commit suicide, his work would provide a great background to the act.

Alas, I don't listen to his music. Much safer!

I don't like Wilson's stuff either, for similar reasons: it is too melancholic and depressive to me.  That of course doesn't mean that it isn't prog - or does it mean that?  Actually, I am not sure.  Porcupine Tree started as a fictional 70s band and accordingly as retro - but retro-what?  Retro-prog, or rather retro-psychedlic?  I think more of the latter.

Since then, of course, Steven Wilson's music has developed into something of its own.  There is also, IMHO, not much of the "progressive mindset" in his music I consider an important matter in progressive rock.  Also, there are points where Wilson's music (such as the title track of The Raven that refused to sing) reminds me of Tool, Isis and similar bands, which IMHO just aren't progressive rock in the classical tradition, though this kind of music, though unrelated, is also called "progressive rock" in the music press, probably mainly because it is the rock analogue of "progressive" electronic music such as progressive house or progressive trance.

I would thus say: Steven Wilson's music is nu prog - some kind of prog in a way but not quite the thing.  It is deliberately left open whether nu means 'new' or 'no'.

Edited by WeepingElf - October 07 2013 at 14:54
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 08:40
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Yea I think Steve is very focused on fencing in genres. Otherwise he wouldn't have different bands with developed accepted sounds.
There could be the human aspect of just wanting to interact with diffrent people, resulting in diffrent stuf, because diffrent people are just that, diffrent.
If you combine that with the fact that an album would most likely not work well, if you made it compleetly without a red line. Trowing track on it from any wild idear you got.
(Thats why 99,99 % of all albums got some sort of Genre on them.)
You may well end up working in diffrent bands, with each their own distinct sounds.

I'm also surprised at the number of people who dislike "genre." Genres have their conventions, they do certain things - and they allow you to play around with that, stretch it, subvert it. Shakespeare was a master at genre - comedies, tragedies, romance, historical. Obviously, he liked to "focus on genres" as well. 
Er. Genres are slightly different for music than for literature— different enough to warrant some kind of caution. Music, before the twentieth century, had mostly been classified by school of thought (Romantic, Classical, Impressionist, folk). There were also "styles," like the fugue, the madrigal, the symphony etc. etc. Basically, the format in which they worked, more akin to the genres that Shakespeare worked in. Pretty simple and clear stuff (well, comparatively— you still had fugues in symphonies, rada rada). Not that genres are a bad thing, but they are pretty vague as to what they actually refer to. "Rock" is used interchangibly for both a style and a philosophy; Prog, likewise. We have wars over what "prog" means and what "rock" means, and we leave none the wiser. Not to mention the obvious problems with terms like "World Music." I still use these terms because no body would know what I was talking about if I used a completely different set of terms, but I'm not thrilled about the way we classify music these days.

If you look at it from the side of the creative person, it dosent matter what label you put on the music.
Its about making an album/band, that has some sort of line in what they are doing, and at the same time, not just dublicating yourself.
Its when the listners start putting labels on the music, everything becomes complicated.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 01:22
Originally posted by BORA BORA wrote:

If I were to commit suicide, his work would provide a great background to the act.

so you are happy most of the time? Are you some kind of hippyLOL

personally I have always battled depression and find living difficult. When I was at college I listened to the Wall almost exlusively and I now believe it saved my life. It was important to me to know there was someone out there  that has some empathy and isnt bullsh*tting.

I don't believe that music can change your prevailing mood anyway. For me SW and others capture a feeling that is just real. Those happy optimistic types that think the world can be changed for the better are just deluded and ignoring reality from my perspective. Probably why I cant get on with the Flower KIngs much. That said I do like spiritaulity in music which can be a hrd thing to pin down. Some music has it and some doesn't. You almost instantly know it when its there. The dividing line between melancholy and spirituality can be fine as well. GFD is intended as a spiritual work imo (and succeeds). The Raven is more playing around with seventies ideas and incorporating them into a contemporary sound. Its a tad contrived but I think its very good nevertheless. 

Edited by richardh - October 07 2013 at 01:22
Sojuice View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 13:12
Be sure he is!
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 14:33

Yea I think Steve is very focused on fencing in genres. Otherwise he wouldn't have different bands with developed accepted sounds.
There could be the human aspect of just wanting to interact with diffrent people, resulting in diffrent stuf, because diffrent people are just that, diffrent.
If you combine that with the fact that an album would most likely not work well, if you made it compleetly without a red line. Trowing track on it from any wild idear you got.
You may well end up working in diffrent bands, with each their own distinct sounds.

I'm also surprised at the number of people who dislike "genre." Genres have their conventions, they do certain things - and they allow you to play around with that, stretch it, subvert it. Shakespeare was a master at genre - comedies, tragedies, romance, historical. Obviously, he liked to "focus on genres" as well. 
Er. Genres are slightly different for music than for literature— different enough to warrant some kind of caution. Music, before the twentieth century, had mostly been classified by school of thought (Romantic, Classical, Impressionist, folk). There were also "styles," like the fugue, the madrigal, the symphony etc. etc. Basically, the format in which they worked, more akin to the genres that Shakespeare worked in. Pretty simple and clear stuff (well, comparatively— you still had fugues in symphonies, rada rada). Not that genres are a bad thing, but they are pretty vague as to what they actually refer to. "Rock" is used interchangibly for both a style and a philosophy; Prog, likewise. We have wars over what "prog" means and what "rock" means, and we leave none the wiser. Not to mention the obvious problems with terms like "World Music." I still use these terms because no body would know what I was talking about if I used a completely different set of terms, but I'm not thrilled about the way we classify music these days.

Edited by Polymorphia - September 22 2013 at 15:00
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 14:31

Er. Genres are slightly different for music than for literature— different enough to warrant some kind of caution. Music, before the twentieth century, had mostly been classified by school of thought (Romantic, Classical, Impressionist, folk). There were also "styles," like the fugue, the madrigal, the symphony etc. etc. Basically, the format in which they worked, more akin to the genres that Shakespeare worked in. Pretty simple and clear stuff. Not that genres are a bad thing, but they are pretty vague as to what they actually refer to. "Rock" is used interchangibly for both a style and a philosophy; Prog, likewise. We have wars over what "prog" means and what "rock" means, and we leave none the wiser. Not to mention the obvious problems with terms like "World Music." I still use these terms because no body would know what I was talking about if I used a completely different set of terms, but I'm not thrilled about the way we classify music these days.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 09:04

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 07:57

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
BORA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 03:09

Dulcet Jones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 16:51
It's prog, but a style of prog that crosses over into fusion at times, IMO.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 20:25
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 17:37
Oh yes he is.
What?
thestillowl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 15:45
Steve has always listened to all types of Music--Prince,Classical Avant Guarde,Post-Punk etc.Like all good musicians he's not interested in fencing in genres.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 11:22
I would say that Anglagard in general sounds like a conglomeration of numerous 70s bands, while Wilson's influence tends to be more spaced out and isolated, so it is easier in his case to point to a specific part and say, "That sounds like King Crimson," or whoever.  But he still brings a ton of originality to the table, so his influences standing out at times lately is more like a nod to the bands he loved growing up. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 14:17
While Anglagard certainly takes a retro approach, and uses all analog equipment (though probably not for the actual recording, though I don't really know) I've never been able to figure out which 70's band or bands they supposedly sound like.  So if they can have an original sound, that just happens to be based in the 70's approach to prog, are they really "retro"?  I feel pretty much the same about Wilson, though he blatantly references a lot more actual 70's bands than Anglagard ever has, IMO.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 11:54
Of course he is. 

What is funny is when Anglagard releases an album that totally sounds right out of the 70s, people fall to their knees and instantly call it progressive, but when Wilson does an album with strong 70s influences, but enough modern touches to make it sound modern, the question of "Is it really prog?" inexplicably gets asked.  It's almost like some get pissed at Wilson for incorporating elements they do not like into their prog (alt rock, trip hop, etc.) and would rather praise bands that sound like the 70s and bring nothing new to the table. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 04:56
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

I myself am a good fan of his latest album, but in no way is it the 11th greatest prog album of all time.

No thats right its not

Its now the 29th greatest album of all time according to the list.

Of course it depends on how many people decide to review it. i had no probs giving it 5 stars as its incredible music and nothing jumps out as filler to my ears, and indeed occasionally its genius musicianship.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 12:48
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

And last, what defines a "genius"? I know Einstein was one, but in prog music? It's a strong word and should be used sparingly, methinks.

"To me you're a genius, to O'Malley you're a genius, but to a genius you're no genius."

It had to be said LOL

LOL
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 09:54
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

And last, what defines a "genius"? I know Einstein was one, but in prog music? It's a strong word and should be used sparingly, methinks.

"To me you're a genius, to O'Malley you're a genius, but to a genius you're no genius."

It had to be said LOL
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 09:06
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

I remember years ago in an interview posted on this very website, Swilson stated that he didn't care for the prog label and that he made what he called "porcupine tree music".

Yes, that was about 8 years ago now.  He has since apologized for his comments about other bands being "regressive" and has said that he has come around to being comfortable with the "prog" label and wanting to make prog music.

I think he is just the guy that so-called "real" proggers love to hate.  He does come off as rather arrogant at times, but he's made his own success (more than just about any contemporary band on this site) and his popularity at least entitles him to feel that he's doing something right, don't you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>