Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone a fan of rap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 19:31
I loved Rage against the machine when i was younger and first got intrested in music but they played Metal/rap, and yes some eminem songs was very good i think, havent any albums by him but i liked some songs yes i did. but no im never was a big fan and now days i dont lisen to any rap. But my sister lisen to much rap and yes some of it is preety good i have to say some very bad.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 19:49
I also really like Dr. Dre's album The Chronic,great tunes and it is very well produced.

Has anyone here ever heard of a hip-hop band called The Roots?They focus on live instrumentation and play traditional instruments.Their albums Things Fall Apart and Phrenology are incredible.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 22:07
Originally posted by kenmeyerjr kenmeyerjr wrote:

Gee, if the genre has been around 20 years and has not disappeared, you think that might give you a clue that it is a valid genre? I have to admit, the close mindedness of many of the people here give me pause to associate myself with prog.

Yes we're very close minded:
  1. We listen a genre that's hated or ignored by 99% of the people.
  2. We never cared for what DJs or magazines say
  3. We spend thousand of dollars in the music we love
  4. We care about a broad genre that includes influences of Rock, Classical, Jazz, Folk, etc.
  5. We never cared for charts.
  6. We're always ready to experiment.

I guess we're anything but close minded, and sorry If I'm not scared because you refuse to associalte with Prog Rock, because you always say the same thing and you're always back.

Iván

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 22:11
I like the old stuff, when rap was either fun, party music or political. I even like old Ice Cube and Dr. Dre because they had very good storytelling and creative melody lines. Nowadays, rap is a pathetic self-parody.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 04:23
Some people refuse rappers the status of real musicians on the grounds that they neither play an instrument, nor have musical knowledge.

Funnily enough though, when the same people are confronted with basic facts that some very high-profile musicians think otherwise (and even go as far as to co-operate with the rappers they consider creative), these people are quick to dismiss the aforementioned musicians' knowledge, experience and judgement, and claim their own (fragmentary and limited) knowledge as equal, or even superior, to that of these musicians. A good (if maybe a bit extreme) example of a similar situation would be that 'Simpsons' episode, in which Homer vehemently argues astrophysics with Stephen Hawking. Ridiculous, really.

Can you spell 'hypocrite'?

We're all entitled our likes and dislikes - but ultimately there are people more qualified to judge art than your everyday person is. And following up on this - to the rap haters here: Steve Coleman, Matthew Shipp and Anthony Braxton say you don't know sh*t. And I'm sure they're not the only accomplished artists to say that.

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 08:38

Oh, and Tea, there is nothing fake about Springsteen's working man image...obviously, he is not living on welfare, but I think he has earned both is salary and his status. And, considering how much he donates of both is money and time to things like food banks and such, I think the time has come for people to stop dumping on him just because he is successful.

I don't dump on him because he is succesful, I dump on him because A) he sucks, B) his style is an image just as much a Mötley Crüe's eyeliner, scarves and teased hair were, C) he sucks and D) he's part of the "honesty and feeling are the only things that matter in art" movement that has been dragging music down for so many years. Also, because he sucks.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 08:56
Rap music was actually the first genre that spoke to me on some level (mind you, I was 12! Wink). Nevertheless, I think it's a valid genre, and I can still listen to some of the better acts (A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Pharcyde, Outkast, Dälek, early Don Johnson Big Band etc.) when the feeling strikes me.

50 Cent and MTV rap in general, is absolutely terrible, though.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 09:06
Jimbo has it right about "Fiddy" and MTV rap. I can understand that people sl*g off the genre if that's all they've heard.

Yes, I forgot The Pharcyde on my list. Their debut is a stone-cold classic of the genre, and has a stylistic breadth that you don't really notice at first. Ace stuff.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 09:12
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Oh, and Tea, there is nothing fake about Springsteen's working man image...obviously, he is not living on welfare, but I think he has earned both is salary and his status. And, considering how much he donates of both is money and time to things like food banks and such, I think the time has come for people to stop dumping on him just because he is successful.

I don't dump on him because he is succesful, I dump on him because A) he sucks, B) his style is an image just as much a Mötley Crüe's eyeliner, scarves and teased hair were, C) he sucks and D) he's part of the "honesty and feeling are the only things that matter in art" movement that has been dragging music down for so many years. Also, because he sucks.

Are you implying somethingWink?

And you're so right about that "honesty and feeling" thingClap.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 11:42
Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

Some people refuse rappers the status of real musicians on the grounds that they neither play an instrument, nor have musical knowledge.

Not only because they don't play instruments or have knowledge, but mostly because the music they play mostly lacks of elements of the music such as melody.

Funnily enough though, when the same people are confronted with basic facts that some very high-profile musicians think otherwise (and even go as far as to co-operate with the rappers they consider creative), these people are quick to dismiss the aforementioned musicians' knowledge, experience and judgement, and claim their own (fragmentary and limited) knowledge as equal, or even superior, to that of these musicians. A good (if maybe a bit extreme) example of a similar situation would be that 'Simpsons' episode, in which Homer vehemently argues astrophysics with Stephen Hawking. Ridiculous, really.

Do you know if we have musical knowledge? Do you know how many years we have studied music? Knowing music is not the same as being successfull, because in that case low profile musicians as Barclay James Harvest or Strawbs not so successful would be ignorants.

BTW: Talking about astriphisics is not the same as talking about music. Astrophysics is a very complex science that requires detailled and specialized studies. Music is an art that of course requires studies but any person has enough feeling and understanding to knos if something is good or not.

Can you spell 'hypocrite'?

We're all entitled our likes and dislikes - but ultimately there are people more qualified to judge art than your everyday person is. 

Most of the people here are not "everyday persons" we know about music we study structires, influences, sounds and some of us even music.

Michael Jackson is successful but he has proved he knows a sh!t about music.

And following up on this - to the rap haters here: Steve Coleman, Matthew Shipp and Anthony Braxton say you don't know sh*t. And I'm sure they're not the only accomplished artists to say that.

That's the difference between you and some us, you trust blindly in what other persons say, we have enough confidence to trust in what we believe. 

Iván 

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 13:48
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

That's the difference between you and some us, you trust blindly in what other persons say, we have enough confidence to trust in what we believe. 

Iván 

So did Homer SimpsonWink.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 16:19

Not only because they don't play instruments or have knowledge, but mostly because the music they play mostly lacks of elements of the music such as melody
Let's see:

A) The voice is an instrument.
B) Melody is not the be-all and end-all of music. If it were, the mostly identical - and, mind you, very easy to write - melodies of most Blues (and much Rock) would disqualify it from any serious discussion.
C) Timing is a much more rare and difficult to achieve commodity than the ability to play scales.
D) Whether you play an instrument or not isn't an indicator of the relative complexity of what you are doing. Playing a twelve bar Blues or regular Pop/Rock bass line is much, much easier than being a truly good rapper.
E) Sometimes the groove is the thing (or "thang"). The difference between a Minneapolis groove, a Washington DC Go-Go groove and Clyde Stubblefield (that's James Brown's drummer - the most sampled man in the world) groove is subtle, and extremely difficult to differentiate between when playing. I have a friend who spent years learning how to drum, spent hours practicing, and even attended PIT in Los Angeles. He could probably play with most of the Prog bands I've heard, except for the very upper echelon of complexity - the guy is mad skilled. But he quit playing when he realised that he could never make it into Prince's band - he could not accurately find the groove.
F) All art that is unique and/or difficult to emulate is valid. If anyone can do it, it's pointless. Not just anyone can rap on the level of Eminem - hell, few untrained people could rap like 50 Cent, and he sucks.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 16:35
I hate rap- always have. What I want from music is superlative musicianship or superlative vocals- preferably both. Rap, at least in my experience has neither. Too much of it is sampled from old funk records from the 60s/70s and I do not relate to the ranting vocals that doesn't equate to anything I'd call singing. Controversial maybe, but I've had that opinion for years and have heard nothing to make me change my mind. It is the genre alongside dance music that I loathe above all else. It just doesn't agree with me at all...
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 16:55
^Oh, yeah. Real controversial. You and 50 million other people feel this way.

It's absolutely fine not to like it (especially if you've only been exposed to the mainstream aspects of it), but to think that it's easier to do well than, say, play in a regular Pop/Rock band trying to sound like U2 is just deluded.

Also, "Dance" is a pretty sweeping statement, especially if you include IDM. The difference bwteen a House act and someone like Squarepusher (or even less heavily "musical" acts like Orbital or The Propellerheads) is as great as between Backstreet Boys and Genesis circa 1976.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 22:07

Not only because they don't play instruments or have knowledge, but mostly because the music they play mostly lacks of elements of the music such as melody
Let's see:

A) The voice is an instrument.

I always thought that (read older posts about multi instrumentalists) but to speak fast is not equal to sing IMHO, I believe rap is some form of  poetry (Not new BTW, Spanish poets used to read their works backgroiunded by Flamenco guitar players who made increddible music).

B) Melody is not the be-all and end-all of music. If it were, the mostly identical - and, mind you, very easy to write - melodies of most Blues (and much Rock) would disqualify it from any serious discussion.}

Not the only element, but I believe one of the most inportant. And your word about melody are absurd because you can make millions of different melodies and BTW agaun the toimming in Rock is much more similar than the melodies.

I believe that melody is not everything, but music needs it.

C) Timing is a much more rare and difficult to achieve commodity than the ability to play scales.

Tead the previous.

D) Whether you play an instrument or not isn't an indicator of the relative complexity of what you are doing. Playing a twelve bar Blues or regular Pop/Rock bass line is much, much easier than being a truly good rapper.

In foirst place, the playing instrument is only a copy from another post to answer it, but anyway, I valñuate higher a band that plays their instruments and writes their music than boys/girls bands that only perfoprm what others did

There must be millions of rappers in USA alone, you can find one in every corner without having the minimum knowledge of musical theory so hard, it cant be.

But a good Rock band is not so easy to find.

E) Sometimes the groove is the thing (or "thang"). The difference between a Minneapolis groove, a Washington DC Go-Go groove and Clyde Stubblefield (that's James Brown's drummer - the most sampled man in the world) groove is subtle, and extremely difficult to differentiate between when playing. I have a friend who spent years learning how to drum, spent hours practicing, and even attended PIT in Los Angeles. He could probably play with most of the Prog bands I've heard, except for the very upper echelon of complexity - the guy is mad skilled. But he quit playing when he realised that he could never make it into Prince's band - he could not accurately find the groove.
Vangelis could never made it yto Yes and Elton John could never made it to King Crimson (Both made auditions) and this says nothing about their skyills, only that they were not the kind of musicians those bands were searching for.

F) All art that is unique and/or difficult to emulate is valid. If anyone can do it, it's pointless. Not just anyone can rap on the level of Eminem - hell, few untrained people could rap like 50 Cent, and he sucks.

I believe all Rap sucks, at least all what I heard, and I heard more rap performers than Rock bands.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 22:57

So did Homer SimpsonWink.

Sorry, but your example is very poor:

1. To talk about astrophysics you need to study a lot of years, to talk about music you only need taste and sensibility. I have the luck to know 23 out of 25 departments of Perú (A bit more than 33% of USA size) and seen native peruvians with no studies playing not guitars (too expensive) but the national charango made by them, not flute,. but the modest pentaphonic quena, plus an ibncredible variety of instruments. This guys make beautiful melodies that are played by the best orchestras in the world, they don't hae studies, but thay can talk about music with anybody and are 1,000% more inventive and original than rapers.
  2. Most people here can debate with any musician you want, maybe most are not too technicall, but they know what they listen.

Just to end, i rather have enough confidence and trust in my beliefs that base my absolutely unique taste in what another person say.

Iván

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 23:06
Oh, lord...

Yeah, there's a rapper on every street corner in the USA, and there's a flamenco guitarist on every block in Madrid and a fiddler on every roof in Krakow. Are you for real?

It's at least as hard to find a good rapper as it is to find a good Rock band. And rapping is not "to speak fast" - if it were, then you could do it now, and I promise you that even if you spent a week with a coach practicing, you wouldn't stand at chance at making the cut, and you certainly couldn't come up with the goods in a freestyle rap battle, where you have to improvise your lyrics as you go.

I've heard two different aspiring rappers try to do Eminem's The Real Slim Shady, and even though they'd both rehearsed it meticulously, they were so obviously off - even though they knew it all by heart. Groove is hard, ask any professional musician, and they'll agree.

Conversely, I heard some kids play Iron Man outside my window last Saturday (don't ask), and they wer godawful, but they got that song down. I like that song a lot, but it is NOT hard to play.

Seriously, you are free to feel that in order for you to enjoy music, it needs to have melody. There is nothing at all wrong with that - it's definitely one of my main criteria in most music I listen to - just not all. This is why Blues bores me, it is entirely predictable, because it has very strict conventions and the melodies seem entirely incdental rather than worked out and polished to be just right.

Anyways, you're free to feel Rap sucks (just like I freely think that Springsteen and Live suck), but it's silly to think it's any easier than it is to play yer average everyday Pop/Rock.

Edited by Teaflax - June 04 2006 at 23:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 23:22

Oh, lord...

Yeah, there's a rapper on every street corner in the USA, and there's a flamenco guitarist on every block in Madrid and a fiddler on every roof in Krakow. Are you for real?

Maybe you don't know what pleonasm means? Well using terms as in any corner or everywhere are forms of pleonasm, literarian figures to say there are a lot.

But just check any label's rappers rooster, easily you can find at least 100 per label that released an album, you can go to any club and find a lot of rappers.

Even here in Perú, if you don't have cable you're condemned to see 20 or 30 new rappers each week making the samme crap and they all sound pretty much the same.

But you can't find hundreed of Flamenco musicians with albums and much less fiddlers in Krakov (Which BTW is a stupis stereotype because you will find more ballalaika players than fiddlers).

It's at least as hard to find a good rapper as it is to find a good Rock band. And rapping is not "to speak fast" - if it were, then you could do it now, and I promise you that even if you spent a week with a coach practicing, you wouldn't stand at chance at making the cut, and you certainly couldn't come up with the goods in a freestyle rap battle, where you have to improvise your lyrics as you go.

Well, record industry manages very well to find 10 or 20 rappers per week.

I've heard two different aspiring rappers try to do Eminem's The Real Slim Shady, and even though they'd both rehearsed it meticulously, they were so obviously off - even though they knew it all by heart. Groove is hard, ask any professional musician, and they'll agree.

Grove without melody and well developed harmonies means nothing at all.

Conversely, I heard some kids play Iron Man outside my window last Saturday (don't ask), and they wer godawful, but they got that song down. I like that song a lot, but it is NOT hard to play.

Well I listen at least 20 new reggaeton artists (Variation inspired in reggae and rap) and all suck, but they can play as bnad as any average rapper.

Seriously, you are free to feel that in order for you to enjoy music, it needs to have melody. There is nothing at all wrong with that - it's definitely one of my main criteria in most music I listen to - just not all. This is why Blues bores me, it is entirely predictable, because it has very strict conventions and the melodies seem entirely incdental rather than worked out and polished to be just right.

And you don't believe Rap is predictable?????? Endless repetition of one or two chords with a guy SPEAKING FAST ad nauseam?? I find that much more predictable.

Anyways, you're free to feel Rap sucks (just like I freely think that Springsteen and Live suck), but it's silly to think it's any easier than it is to play yer average everyday Pop/Rock.

If there are thousands of rappers that manage to release an album and sell a lot, and only a bunch of Rock bands that achieve the same success, I must assume that's easier.

Iván

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 00:06

Kanye West is safe, dumbed-down mainstream crap with a veneer of sophistication that's as fake as Bruce Springsteen's "working man" image. There is so much more inetersting stuff going on in the underground, and pleanty of rappers who are much, much better than he is.

Jean Grae. No one can touch her - that's the first thing you need to know.

Quasimoto/Madlib/Yeterday's New Quintet, Dr Octagon/Kool Keith, MF Doom, Aesop Rock, RJD2, Innerstance Beatbox, DJ Shadow and many more are far more creative and progressive than the safe, cross-overy blandness of Kanye.

I'll be sure to check these people out, as I'm not a very big fan of the genre I am very out of touch with the underground or even the mainstream for that matter.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 00:08

I agree especially with points A and C.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>